Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

am i autistic?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    kira, what exactly is it youre asking us.

Are you asking us if you could be autistic, or are you asking us how to get a diagnosis?

I want to know if i am autistic.

Because I don't get human interaction, and I feel mentally confused when in public. I also am always the silent one in conversations, and lots of people notice. I didn't learn the normal conversational skills in childhood.
  • Options
    a lot of symptoms of dyspraxia and high functioning autism overlap
  • Options
    Evenstar wrote: »
    We'll as I said he is dyspraxic anyway, which accounts for his clumsiness and his dislike of new textures (so we don't know if these would be there if he was aspergic but not dyspraxic, they are symptoms for both), he is very smart (unusual for dyspraxics, apparently) and can get obsessive about his hobbies and interests.

Often if he is talking about something which interests him he doesn't realise if the people he is talking to have lost interest, he cannot pick up on these non-verbal or tonal signals very well. It took him a long time to understand sarcasm and now does use it but not in a subtle or dry-wit sort of way. In fact any subtle implications of mood, humour, sarcasm etc, conveyed by minor tonal differences or small gestures he doesn't really understand.

He struggles to make new friends because, at eleven (as you can imagine) all social interaction at that age contain a lot of the above! However he is fortunate to have a close and protective group of friends who have known him since infant school. He can have a debate about politics and will probably know more then you, but when it comes to verbal sparring and repartee he really struggles and is a very easy target for not nice kids his age. He can be so naive at times - since reception he has stood for school council every year, and every year he has not been elected :(

He is a lovely, sweet, kind, intelligent and interesting (I want to say 'little', but he's shooting up!) boy!

Ok. Thanks for that.

I did not learn normal conversational skills as a youngster, and it affects me now. I am similar to your brother, in that I cannot socially connect with people well.
  • Options
    a lot of symptoms of dyspraxia and high functioning autism overlap

What is dyspraxia?
  • Options
    kira wrote: »
    Ok. Thanks for that.

I did not learn normal conversational skills as a youngster, and it affects me now. I am similar to your brother, in that I cannot socially connect with people well.

I'm not sure if this is clear - he can be very socially clumsy but he is also capable of deep and loving bonds with his family and friends.

A lot of, what I suppose you could call neurological disorders, overlap. As it says on the link I gave you, aspergers can make you more likely to have all sorts, like dyspraxia, OCD, ADHD etc. and each of those have their own lists of things you are more likely to have. Not everybody does, but some do - my even younger brother is verbally dyspraxic and has no signs of any other problems at all.
  • Options
    Yes I am. I'm always the last to know important things.

No, since I find doctors always give me false information. :confused: Lots of doctors tell me that my interests are bad, since I don't care much about religion. But there is no medical text that says this. It's just a common choice in UK society. This sounds bad, but I think people try to deliberately confuse me, since they're envious I'm smarter than they are. How does that make me look bad? If a person is better looking than everybody else, does it mean they are bad? :crying: :no: :( If being non-religious is bad, then most persons in the UK are bad also.
    Are you in the UK?

Maybe people do not try to confuse you. It is hard to know their intentions without being them... But then maybe you are right. Some people envy intelligence and some people bully.

I can see why you are frustrated, I get frustrated sometimes too.

It is not a doctor's place to tell you your interests are bad.
  • Options
    How so? Most persons talk freely. While there is a variation in how talkative most persons are, there is a normal range. Most persons have developed social skills and develop these in childhood. There is a lot of medical evidence to support this. Look in schools. Most kids are talkative, and only a few are not.

I know 3 people with Autism. One can't talk and the other 2 can. The 2 that can talk, don't shut up. It's impossible to have a 5 minute discussion with either of them - they are both very talkative.
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    Are you in the UK?

Maybe people do not try to confuse you. It is hard to know their intentions without being them... But then maybe you are right. Some people envy intelligence and some people bully.

Yes they do. There is no other reason. I have a right to do what I want without sanction.

And used to live in the UK, but don't again.
  • Options
    grace wrote: »
    This doen't necessarily make you autistic, not being talkative is almost always 'just one of those things', like having blonde hair, or being good at drawing.

It's not just one of those things. i don't talk more so than most other people. there must be some kind of medical condition here.

As I said, there is a normal range of talkativeness. if a person was silent most of the time, what would you think? I would personally think that something was wrong with them, since it does not conform to the norm.
  • Options
    And I appear doubting, but it is because I am a rational and sceptical person. Most things in life happen for a reason, nothing happens by chance. I can't help it, it's how I am. :chin:
  • Options
    It's not just one of those things. i don't talk more so than most other people. there must be some kind of medical condition here.

As I said, there is a normal range of talkativeness. if a person was silent most of the time, what would you think? I would personally think that something was wrong with them, since it does not conform to the norm.

I am quiet most of the time. (once I start talking, I don't shut up:blush: ) This doesn't mean there's anything wrong with me.
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    I am quiet most of the time. (once I start talking, I don't shut up:blush: ) This doesn't mean there's anything wrong with me.

Most persons are not.
  • Options
    Most persons are not.

Some people are quiet, some people are loud... and a lot of people are somewhere in between. Its what makes people different. Doesn't mean theres anything "wrong" with you if you're really quiet or really loud.
  • Options
    Some people are quiet, some people are loud... and a lot of people are somewhere in between. Its what makes people different. Doesn't mean theres anything "wrong" with you if you're really quiet or really loud.

Thank you!
  • Options

i don't believe that. I don't like not being able to get human interaction.
  • Options
    i don't believe that. I don't like not being able to get human interaction.

Ok, how is it then?
  • Options
    Ok, how is it then?

it's that most people talk and i do not.

The reason I am posting this thread is that my mental/perceptual state stops me from enjoying my life. it always has. In life, you get what you give. If I were able to connect with people more, it would help me. This is how it is with everybody else. Either that or by luck/default, and I don't believe in luck/fate.
  • Options
    it's that most people talk and i do not.

I point you to a previous post of mine, where I said I don't talk much either. This doesn't mean in anyway that I'm autistic.
  • Options
    I still think I am autistic. it's the only explanation. It's the only explanation for me not connecting with people.

this is an example of how this goes:

'hi kira, how are you?'
    'I'm fine.'
    'how was the day?'
    'it was ok.'
    'what did you do at work?'
    'well, a few stuff.'
    'OK......'

I've never had the skills to connect with people, and I cannot build any bonds with anybody. I can't get people to make a connection with me.

It may seem trivial, but being autistic hurts my life. making connections with people is about engaging them, but i cannot engage anybody.
  • Options
    Being autistic is a lot more than interaction with people.
  • Options
    How so?
  • Options
    Some people with autism have behaviour problems, (my brother did - he's ok now) some can't talk, "strange" behaviour, obsessions, need routine, sensory issues, (I have a friend who has to wear ear defenders when out due to sensitivity issues) etc.

http://www.autism.org.uk/en-gb/about-autism/autism-and-asperger-syndrome-an-introduction/what-is-autism.aspx
  • Options
    but i can't build bonds with people.
  • Options
    clearly there is something wrong if i don't get the normal human wisdom of life. either something wrong in my perception or understanding of life. everything has a cause.
  • Options
    clearly there is something wrong if i don't get the normal human wisdom of life. either something wrong in my perception or understanding of life. everything has a cause.

Kira, noone here doubts that you may be autistic or be somewhere on the autistic spectrum. You don't need to try and prove it to us. Some people have only tried to explain how some traits associated with autism can quite often be found in people without autism, and that it is just variation in people.

If there "clearly is something wrong" and you want answers and perhaps ways to feel better about yourself then you really need to see a doctor. Having this conversation with us isn't enough, it doesn't matter what we think.
  • Options
    I agree with purple, trying to convince us that autism is the end of the world isn't going to lead to a diagnosis, you need to get yourself to the doctor. Do please let us know what s/he says
  • Options
    Kira, noone here doubts that you may be autistic or be somewhere on the autistic spectrum. You don't need to try and prove it to us. Some people have only tried to explain how some traits associated with autism can quite often be found in people without autism, and that it is just variation in people.

If there "clearly is something wrong" and you want answers and perhaps ways to feel better about yourself then you really need to see a doctor. Having this conversation with us isn't enough, it doesn't matter what we think.

There is something wrong, since I am the last to know important common knowledge, but I shall see a doctor anyhow.
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    Thank you!

I still disagree. Most persons talk freely.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    i think it's worth bearing in mind that people with conditions on the Autistic Spectrum may find it difficult to understand some concepts, behaviours, expressions and other social norms. It's also possible that a condition could include impairments around social relationships, communication or methods of expression.

For that reason it may be worth trying to understand what kira is saying with this in mind. Becoming frustrated with the way someone is expressing something is worth trying to avoid, especially when responding to someone who is saying they find some normal phrases hard to understand.

Kira, we're not going to be able to tell you whether you do have a condition on the autistic spectrum, that's something you'll need help from a doctor to understand.

If you feel a diagnosis would help you then please go see your local doctor or ask for a referral to a doctor with experience of people who have conditions on the Autistic spectrum.

I want a diagnosis since i don't understand the complexity of life. everybody else does by default.

As an example, people say to speak politely in public but you hear people say "innit blud". this is not polite speaking. Life is too complex and contradictory for me to understand. Most people understand the truths of life, few people don't. i don't want to be the few again. Once I understand the truths of life, everything is normal and happy.
This discussion has been closed.