Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

am i autistic?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    How does that work then? That's like me saying that I have a right to fully functioning eyes - the truth is, I don't. It would be nice; but it's not going to happen.

But the whole point of medicine is to help people. People are given prosthetic limbs, since it helps their mobility. Even minor ailments like the cold have treatments. There is no way to give them a real limb, since it's beyond current medical technology. Nobody would say that giving them a limb is bad, since it's the only way to give them mobility.

If there is a way to overcome it, then why not? Is it immoral to improve one's health? :confused:
    You don't just have to live with any disability, you have a right to help and treatment. You certainly have a right to develop yourself and your talents and abilities. But you don't have the right to equal mental functioning if you don't have it, just as I don't have the right to be 5 feet 10 inches tall, or to have an IQ of 140. It would be nice if I had it, but no one has an obligation to give it to me, for no one can. And if it turns out that your social skills and empathy are below the level for what is considered "normal", then while you are entitled to help and assistance to develop them, nobody can change the level of your natural endowments.

But those are not abnormalities (as in not having them). It is not wrong to correct faults.
  • Options
    There is no cure for autism unfortunately.
    Its a lifelong condition.
  • Options
    Have you booked a Dr appointment?
  • Options
    Kira, I have an aspergic and dyspraxic brother (although he does not have any extreme sensory stimuli problems - It's mostly food textures), and this is by no means a diagnosis but to my mind I think you may have aspergers syndrome, which is an ASD

does this ring any bells?
    http://www.aspergerfoundation.org.uk/infosheets/whatisaspergers.pdf
  • Options
    Evenstar wrote: »
    Kira, I have an aspergic and dyspraxic brother (although he does not have any extreme sensory stimuli problems - It's mostly food textures), and this is by no means a diagnosis but to my mind I think you may have aspergers syndrome, which is an ASD

why do i have asperger's syndrome?

By the by, I don't get social interaction and the world is complex, but I am flexible in thought. I can be stubborn sometimes, but this is a normal human trait. Human behaviour is complex.

The fact is that most people talk a lot, and I do not. I want to be at that normal level.
  • Options
    what do you mean?
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »

not yet.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    what do you mean?

I find social interaction and human interaction too complex. And I don't talk enough.

But I am open-minded and accept any idea in principle.
  • Options
    kira wrote: »
    why do i have asperger's syndrome?

Why doesn't seem the right question to me, its just my opinion that your posts seemed a bit reminiscent of it. Did you look at the link?
  • Options
    Why doesn't seem the right question to me, its just my opinion that your posts seemed a bit reminiscent of it. Did you look at the link?

yes I did. But I think the only part that applies to me is the social part.
  • Options
    There is no cure for autism unfortunately.
    Its a lifelong condition.

Yes, there is no cure. But there must be a way to alleviate the symptoms.
  • Options
    Yes, there is no cure. But there must be a way to alleviate the symptoms.

a lot of people find symptoms can be reduced if they follow a strict gluten and dairy free diet.

http://www.autismweb.com/diet.htm
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    If you went to the doctor, do you think a diagnosis would help you? Have you looked at any message boards which people who have autism or aspergers run?

I ask this because by speaking to people who have social challenges, you might find some useful information.

I think that even though you don't feel you are normal, there are probably a lot of skills you can learn to help improve how you are socially. For example, learning conversation.

When you say how people say it's good to be kind, but they act the opposite, this doesn't mean that kindness is not a good thing. Often people are bastards because they are angry, or afraid. People are not always honest and not all people are the same either. It makes everything confusing, even for people who function in a way you would consider 'normal' might get confused.

I have social difficulties too, as a part of my dyspraxia. I sometimes misunderstand people and end up in arguments. I have had to relearn things like body language. I have strange intellects for a 26 year old woman (I would rather discuss urban farming, or ants than what most my peers like).

I do not think you are mentally stunted.

Yes I am. I'm always the last to know important things.

No, since I find doctors always give me false information. :confused: Lots of doctors tell me that my interests are bad, since I don't care much about religion. But there is no medical text that says this. It's just a common choice in UK society. This sounds bad, but I think people try to deliberately confuse me, since they're envious I'm smarter than they are. How does that make me look bad? If a person is better looking than everybody else, does it mean they are bad? :crying: :no: :( If being non-religious is bad, then most persons in the UK are bad also.

I was rude before because you said I was rude and it's a symptom of autism but not everybody is polite and not everybody is owed politeness. This is common knowledge. So how then am I autistic if I'm just being human, and the world/life is complex? human beings have quirks and it's normal sometimes not to be respectful. :( People who shout abuse in the street are being disrespectful, but nobody says they are autistic. it's just part of the complexity of the world we live in, and human nature. I misread you also, so this is why I was rude.

Life is complex, yes, but life is also simple. I have a right to seek competent medical advice, and medicine is based on research. It's like a person goes to the doctor for a sore throat, and the doctor tells them to drain it off with leeches. Who would heed that advice?

I know i sound quite down.
  • Options
    a lot of people find symptoms can be reduced if they follow a strict gluten and dairy free diet.

http://www.autismweb.com/diet.htm

OK. Thanks.
  • Options
    And I don't talk enough.

This doen't necessarily make you autistic, not being talkative is almost always 'just one of those things', like having blonde hair, or being good at drawing.

You will get no further than you are now if you don't go to see the doctor. Nobody on here can diagnose you. From what you've said, a diagnosis may be helpful, as it could lead to psychiatric help which could help you try and improve your social skills etc. If you feel one of the doctors at your surgery has been less than helpful previously, ask if you can see a different one when you book the appointment. Unfortunately, there is no 'cure' for autism, simply help to help YOU to alleviate the symptoms.
  • Options
    grace wrote: »
    This doen't necessarily make you autistic, not being talkative is almost always 'just one of those things', like having blonde hair, or being good at drawing.

How so? Most persons talk freely. While there is a variation in how talkative most persons are, there is a normal range. Most persons have developed social skills and develop these in childhood. There is a lot of medical evidence to support this. Look in schools. Most kids are talkative, and only a few are not.
    You will get no further than you are now if you don't go to see the doctor. Nobody on here can diagnose you. From what you've said, a diagnosis may be helpful, as it could lead to psychiatric help which could help you try and improve your social skills etc. If you feel one of the doctors at your surgery has been less than helpful previously, ask if you can see a different one when you book the appointment. Unfortunately, there is no 'cure' for autism, simply help to help YOU to alleviate the symptoms.

Well I would do whatever it takes to alleviate the symptoms. I don't want the symptoms to affect me as much.
  • Options

Well I would do whatever it takes to alleviate the symptoms. I don't want the symptoms to affect me as much.

Then make a doctors' appointment, and they'll help you.
  • Options
    I don't believe that. I don't believe it was true for you.

When did you learn truths of life? it comes to most easily, not unless they have a problem in perceiving it.
  • Options
    Have you considered Asperger's Syndrome?

Autism tends to be much more severe than what you are describing. But it sounds as if Asperger's could be a possible candidate.
  • Options
    definitely at the higher functioning end of the scale if it is autism.
  • Options
    definitely at the higher functioning end of the scale if it is autism.

i think so too. I just don't get social interaction and cannot hold conversations.
  • Options

What are his symptoms?
  • Options
    that can be a marker. With my children they find it difficult to grasp the two way nature of conversations
  • Options
    that can be a marker. With my children they find it difficult to grasp the two way nature of conversations

Ok. But if I can get normal social skills, it would help.
  • Options
    Ok. But if I can get normal social skills, it would help.

You can't just get 'normal social skills' from the supermarket.

Set yourself a little goal each day, to consciously try and start or maintain a conversation for just a little bit longer than normal.
  • Options
    grace wrote: »
    You can't just get 'normal social skills' from the supermarket.

Set yourself a little goal each day, to consciously try and start or maintain a conversation for just a little bit longer than normal.

Ok. But eventually the goal is to get normal social skills.
  • Options
    Ok. But eventually the goal is to get normal social skills.

If you consciously make an effort, with any luck it would become second nature, and you would become closer to what you consider 'normal' social skills.
  • Options
    Why are putting the word normal in quotes?

I don't believe that social skills are relative. I think if people are inappropriate or rude or don't follow social norms, this is part of the human condition, and not an abnormality as such.
  • Options
    G wrote: »
    You just sound like a completely different person in there, thats all. I was not having a go at you.

These are just different sides to my personality. I can be high brow and low brow at choice.
  • Options
    What are his symptoms?

We'll as I said he is dyspraxic anyway, which accounts for his clumsiness and his dislike of new textures (so we don't know if these would be there if he was aspergic but not dyspraxic, they are symptoms for both), he is very smart (unusual for dyspraxics, apparently) and can get obsessive about his hobbies and interests.

Often if he is talking about something which interests him he doesn't realise if the people he is talking to have lost interest, he cannot pick up on these non-verbal or tonal signals very well. It took him a long time to understand sarcasm and now does use it but not in a subtle or dry-wit sort of way. In fact any subtle implications of mood, humour, sarcasm etc, conveyed by minor tonal differences or small gestures he doesn't really understand.

He struggles to make new friends because, at eleven (as you can imagine) all social interaction at that age contain a lot of the above! However he is fortunate to have a close and protective group of friends who have known him since infant school. He can have a debate about politics and will probably know more then you, but when it comes to verbal sparring and repartee he really struggles and is a very easy target for not nice kids his age. He can be so naive at times - since reception he has stood for school council every year, and every year he has not been elected :(

He is a lovely, sweet, kind, intelligent and interesting (I want to say 'little', but he's shooting up!) boy!
This discussion has been closed.