Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

am i autistic?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I think I am autistic since:

- I don't get the complexity of human interaction. people say "everybody should be kind and respectful", but then the next time I see people being bastards.

- I can't make conversation

- I don't get common sayings in life. I hate watching things like the Tyra Banks show since she always talks about things that are common knowledge and I don't know about.

Am I mentally stunted?

Comments

• Options
    maybe you are on the autistic spectrum, but that doesnt make you mentally stunted. Many many autistic people have normal or above average intelligence.
    Its also worth remembering that EVERYBODY has some autistic traits, but that doesnt make everyone autistic.
    If you feel that these traits are impacting on your life, then maybe its worth speaking to your doctor and see about getting a diagnosis.
  • Options
    maybe you are on the autistic spectrum, but that doesnt make you mentally stunted. Many many autistic people have normal or above average intelligence.
    Its also worth remembering that EVERYBODY has some autistic traits, but that doesnt make everyone autistic.
    If you feel that these traits are impacting on your life, then maybe its worth speaking to your doctor and see about getting a diagnosis.

:yes:

I know 3 people who are autistic. Onbly one of them is mentally stunted and can't talk.
  • Options

why does everybody have autistic traits?
  • Options
    kira wrote: »
    I think I am autistic since:

- I don't get the complexity of human interaction. people say "everybody should be kind and respectful", but then the next time I see people being bastards.

They key word is "SHOULD", they dont say people are kind and respectful towards each other, saying they just should be.

A lot of things such as phrases and sayings are hard to get if you have never heard them before, I wouldnt worry about it too much.
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    They key word is "SHOULD", they dont say people are kind and respectful towards each other, saying they just should be.

A lot of things such as phrases and sayings are hard to get if you have never heard them before, I wouldnt worry about it too much.

I disagree. it's because I don't get it.
  • Options
    because autism is just certain human traits exaggerated, with other normal traits decreased, but no two autistic people are the same. They will have the traits to a lesser or greater extent.
    For example, both my sons are on the autistic spectrum. One is a lot less affected than the other. One has learning difficulties, yet the other is above average for intelligence, yet theyre both autistic
  • Options
    Is there any medical research to back this up?
    I know 3 people who are autistic. Onbly one of them is mentally stunted and can't talk.

Ok, so what is autism then?
  • Options
    Hi Kira :wave: ,

I have added some information on Autistic spectrum disorders for you too have a look at. I wouldnt worry too much but it may be worth going to see you G.P just to talk your concerns over.

I hope this helps.

Keep posting and let us know how you are getting on!!!

Take care
    B:)
  • Options
    Is there any medical research to back this up?

Ok, so what is autism then?

why do you say you think youre autistic, and then you ask what autism is?
  • Options
    becky001 wrote: »
    Hi Kira :wave: ,

I have added some information on Autistic spectrum disorders for you too have a look at. I wouldnt worry too much but it may be worth going to see you G.P just to talk your concerns over.

I hope this helps.

Keep posting and let us know how you are getting on!!!

Take care
    B:)
    I know thats a thesite page, but thats crap information. Its been proved its nothing to do with the MMR
  • Options
  • Options

if it helps, think of it as a sliding scale: on one side is total social incoherence, and on the other side is the most empathetic person you've ever met (it is more complicated than this, I know). We are all on the autistic scale somewhere, but being 'autistic' is where you are too close to the difficult side.

Have you looked at Aspergers Syndrome?
  • Options
    *empathic*

although empathetic sounds funnier
  • Options
    *empathic*

although empathetic sounds funnier

Empathetic like sympathetic no?

It wins in a google fight
  • Options
    Empathetic like sympathetic no?

It wins in a google fight

lol
  • Options
    bah :grump:
  • Options
  • Options
    why do you say you think youre autistic, and then you ask what autism is?

because i think i may have the symptoms of it.
  • Options
    because i think i may have the symptoms of it.

Then surely you know what it is?:confused:
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I know thats a thesite page, but thats crap information. Its been proved its nothing to do with the MMR

Just saw this on the news, as I was reading this thread. Appropriate!
  • Options

QUOTE]

Is there a particular bit you dont understand? A lot of people are capable of being mean and nasty, no matter what they should be like.

Saying someone SHOULD act a certain way, is as if you want them to act a certain way, it doesnt mean they will or have to.

The people being bastards (whilst unfortunate) does occur, no matter what people expect them to be like. People are fallible.
  • Options
    i don't get the complexity.
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    Then surely you know what it is?:confused:

i don't know what they are.
  • Options
    i don't get the complexity.

What has complexity got to do with anything.

All I have said is that people dont necessarily do what others tell them to.
  • Options
    i don't know what they are.

Autism and being autistic are the same thing. I don't understand how you can say "I think I'm autistic" but then go on to say you have no idea what it is?
  • Options
    There has to be some allowance of understanding to respond in the way the OP has as well?
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    What has complexity got to do with anything.

All I have said is that people dont necessarily do what others tell them to.

of course they do not, which is true.

but i don't get the complexity of people saying something and not doing the other. I don't get why people say "people don't have sex" when it's normal to get turned on by an attractive person. Life is too confusing and complex, when most don't get phased by it.
  • Options
    Who has said that people don't have sex?
  • Options
    i think it's worth bearing in mind that people with conditions on the Autistic Spectrum may find it difficult to understand some concepts, behaviours, expressions and other social norms. It's also possible that a condition could include impairments around social relationships, communication or methods of expression.

For that reason it may be worth trying to understand what kira is saying with this in mind. Becoming frustrated with the way someone is expressing something is worth trying to avoid, especially when responding to someone who is saying they find some normal phrases hard to understand.

Kira, we're not going to be able to tell you whether you do have a condition on the autistic spectrum, that's something you'll need help from a doctor to understand.

If you feel a diagnosis would help you then please go see your local doctor or ask for a referral to a doctor with experience of people who have conditions on the Autistic spectrum.

If you want to talk about your condition here, or the problems you are facing then that's brilliant - please do that. But please be aware no one here can tell you for certain what may be causing problems you have.

The National Autistic Society has some great information, as people have already pointed out, and they also have a helpline on 0845 070 4004. If reading through information isn't helping and you don't feel you want to speak to your doctor at this stage then the helpline may be able to talk to you about how you feel.
This discussion has been closed.