Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Fox hunting coming back.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Skive wrote: »
    Are you seriously comparing fox hunters to child abusers?

Saying that I agree that you don't need to have tried something to have an opinion on it. However you'd obvioulsy have to try it to understand why it's enjoyable. Hunting is good fun, I'm 100% certain you'd enjoy a drag hunt.

I'm obviously not saying that.

What I am saying is - the fact you happen to enjoy it is neither here nor there. People are capable of enjoying a lot of things that are immoral - the fact you find it fun doesn't give us any reason to tolerate it, if it's cruel.

I don't need to understand why it's enjoyable. I don't understand why people enjoy boxing, or cricket, or drum and bass. But they don't inflict suffering on non-consenting sentient beings, so the fact other people do enjoy them is something I'm prepared to put down to differing tastes. Torturing animals however, cannot be a matter of individual preference.
  • Options
    My previous comment was only meant semi-seriously. Lighten up a little.

Don't be a patronising fuckwit - ever thought maybe I'm capable of being semi-serious too? Hence my comment?
    Though hunting is fucking fun. As is coarsing, lamping and game shooting. You should try it.

Nah, I'm good thanks. I manage to have fun without torturing animals, but cheers for the suggestion.
  • Options
    jamelia wrote: »
    People are capable of enjoying a lot of things that are immoral -

:chin:

Opening up a Pandoras Box there, how do you define "immoral"?
  • Options
    Don't be a patronising fuckwit - ever thought maybe I'm capable of being semi-serious too? Hence my comment?

Nah, I'm good thanks. I manage to have fun without torturing animals, but cheers for the suggestion.

Now, now, no need to get touchy.

Doesn't sound like you have much fun if this is the reaction it provokes. Maybe try clay pigeon shooting to ease yourself in.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    :chin:

Opening up a Pandoras Box there, how do you define "immoral"?

I take it you're not actually asking me to define the word immoral, you're asking me to specify the content of morality, or identify the source of moral claims?

Well that's a lifetime's work, and anyway, it's not something I need to do here. My point is, the fact that someone enjoys something is irrelevant to any discussion of whether society should tolerate it or not. Assuming you're not a moral relativist, which is a position no sensible individual can sustain for longer than five minutes, you think that at least some actions are morally bad, whatever they may be. And then the fact that some people might find it fun to do those things doesn't give us a reason to allow them to do so.
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    My regards to the hunt sabs who will be making things more difficult for those thugs on horses. :wave:

Even the fanatical ones who injure animals and people in their fight for justice? By the way this is merely a question, i'm not having a go?
    By the way just to point out to whoever was on about the shooting of foxes and how you can miss, it's actually not that easy to shoot things in the dark even with a rather large lamp.
  • Options
    Should killing of all animals be illegal then. The ones on your plate, any rats you may have a problem with, maybe we should use falcons to control birds at airports - all done to make our lives a little more pleasurable. Maybe we should make owning cats illegal as they make a serious impact on garden birds?
    Not a bad set of ideas, from an abolitionist perspective. ;)

Though people don't own cats, cats own people.
    Even the fanatical ones who injure animals and people in their fight for justice? By the way this is merely a question, i'm not having a go?
    Which fanatical ones?

I am opposed to violence so no, in theory I am against animal rights activists who harm animals. I have yet to meet an animal rights activist (and I know some people involved in some 'controversial' activities) who would hurt animals for their cause... Apart from PETA, but they are crap.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit

Well I hope you never get an infestation of roaches or rats.
    Would eat out if you knew resturants were prohibited from atcively destroying such pests.

?

People own and breed cats and cats kill other animals. Like having your own little unnecessary killing machine.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options

Which fanatical ones?

I am opposed to violence so no, in theory I am against animal rights activists who harm animals. I have yet to meet an animal rights activist (and I know some people involved in some 'controversial' activities) who would hurt animals for their cause... Apart from PETA, but they are crap.
    Animal rights activists have caused large scale ecolgical problems in some areas by releasing mink from captivity ...idiots.
  • Options
    Well I hope you never get an infestation of roaches or rats.
    Would eat out if you knew resturants were prohibited from atcively destroying such pests.
    How far are we going to extend this?

Mabe I should not eat anything that has been moved in a lorry in case it ran over a worm. :rolleyes:

Some people do take it to that extreme....

And abolitionists would agree with the statement I highlighted.
  • Options
    How far are we going to extend this?

Mabe I should not eat anything that has been moved in a lorry in case it ran over a worm. :rolleyes:

So it's ok to kill rats for pest control reasons, but not foxes?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    What if the word fun was taken out of the argument, and it was replaced with "pest control"? It's a known fact they'd have some impact on farmers and general society if they were allowed to breed and weren't killed off more than nature intended.

I bet most people who don't support the killing of foxes support the idea behind killing foxes if they follow their natural instinct to hunt for food - which would impose on our own manufactured food sources. Which makes this an endless argument.

Just one more thing, why doesn't everything relating to human interaction with animals, in nature or otherwise, always come back to the idea of animal rights? We only give them "rights" because we're always playing god with nature to not know when to stop. After-all, we impose on nature more than nature imposes on us. It's just an "inconvenience to life".

(Did I see PETA mentioned in animal rights? OH GOD. They willingly allow the inhumane slaughter and abuse of animals for MONTHS on end, filming it for "evidence" without actually imposing anything upon the people responsible during their time. They just watch from the sidelines. If this was taken into perspective of other scenarios it would be a whole other issue. I'm sure they'll get stuck in themselves once the cameras are turned off. Can't make it seem like they're undercover...)
  • Options
    JavaKrypt wrote: »
    What if the word fun was taken out of the argument, and it was replaced with "pest control"? It's a known fact they'd have some impact on farmers and general society if they were allowed to breed and weren't killed off more than nature intended.

I asked ages ago what the stats are for the efficiency of hunting with dogs as a method of population control. No one answered, it was just ignored. If it turns out that hunting with dogs really is the most effective way of culling the fox population, AND that culling is necessary for farming practices etc, then I would accept that we have to tolerate it. But that's an empirical question - there should be some hard data - and no one has presented any.

I find it very hard to believe that it makes anything like a significant dent in the fox population to be justified by reference to pest control. I would guess that's just a handy cover for people who think the only way they can possibly have fun is to watch animals get torn limb from limb.

However, I'd change my mind if I saw some evidence to the contrary....
  • Options
    a huge bunch of people on horses, with dogs, running after one fox, is not an effective way of reducing the fox population surely
  • Options

Which fanatical ones?

Fair does, just wondered. The one thing that does annoy me (from both sides) is the fact that there are some hunt sabs who let down their cause and others involved in it. I have seen sabs deliberately cause situations which will injure horse, rider and others around them just in honour of their cause. I've also known hunt sabs who have led hounds away from their scent and huntsman but whilst leading them away have led them towards main A roads. That's the side of demonstrating that annoys me. Sheer stupidity. Am all for everyone having a voice, just wish some people would think clearly about their actions. That goes for the hunting people who condone violence against sabs.
  • Options
    I asked ages ago what the stats are for the efficiency of hunting with dogs as a method of population control. No one answered, it was just ignored. If it turns out that hunting with dogs really is the most effective way of culling the fox population, AND that culling is necessary for farming practices etc, then I would accept that we have to tolerate it. But that's an empirical question - there should be some hard data - and no one has presented any.

I find it very hard to believe that it makes anything like a significant dent in the fox population to be justified by reference to pest control. I would guess that's just a handy cover for people who think the only way they can possibly have fun is to watch animals get torn limb from limb.

However, I'd change my mind if I saw some evidence to the contrary....
    I weren't saying using dogs, because chasing the foxes down with dogs trained to rip them to shreds isn't and shouldn't be the way we do it. In order for the fox to be a pest to our production of food, it would first need to actually attack. Hunting is just jumping the gun for the sake of "they will do sooner or later". That's just taking fun in something that is required.

This is the bad thing within animal cruelty overall - people who are responsible for killing our pigs, cows or whatever else - I'm sure they do abuse their job and the animal due to the nature of the job. I know I couldn't kill an animal like that day in day out, I'm sure it'll have a negative impact on someones mental state at some point during their career.
  • Options
    Shooting is more effective in the sense more can be culled. When lamping you can cover far greater distance and more foxes. But the target is more likely to get away injured than hunting with dogs and suffer a death just as 'horrific'.
    People enjoy both. Lamping is fun, I cetainly enjoy it - I wouldn't enjoy hunting with hounds.
    And when shooting dogs are still used to flush out and chase foxes.

Killing things has never negatively effected my mental state, whether it be mammals birds or fish. I look at them as meat on me plate.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Excellent. So are you conceding that hunting with dogs actually has no impact on population levels whatsoever?

So a couple of pages back when I asked why fox hunting should be legal, when dog fighting and cock fighting aren't, and your response was "fox hunting is necessary to cull the fox population" - that argument is unsound. So now we have no good reasons to allow one and not the others.
  • Options
    So it's ok to kill rats for pest control reasons, but not foxes?
    I don't believe fox hunting is about pest control, it is a sport.

If people wanted to control foxes, they would use more effective methods, like trapping, shooting, or poison (you have already had admitted there are more effective methods).

Pest control is business and business is about productivity and profit.

But this has already been covered...

At the end of the day, what we are arguing about I don't believe is about erroding the culture of the countryside, or about pest control, it's whether or not a few thugs have the right to hurt animals for enjoyment.
  • Options
    Excellent. So are you conceding that hunting with dogs actually has no impact on population levels whatsoever?

:yeees:

Where the fuck did I say that?

Saying that you can kill more foxes with guns, is not the same as saying that killing foxes with hounds is inefective.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Carolina wrote: »
    Fair does, just wondered. The one thing that does annoy me (from both sides) is the fact that there are some hunt sabs who let down their cause and others involved in it. I have seen sabs deliberately cause situations which will injure horse, rider and others around them just in honour of their cause. I've also known hunt sabs who have led hounds away from their scent and huntsman but whilst leading them away have led them towards main A roads. That's the side of demonstrating that annoys me. Sheer stupidity. Am all for everyone having a voice, just wish some people would think clearly about their actions. That goes for the hunting people who condone violence against sabs.
    Ah ok... Never heard about sabs hurting horses. All the activists in animal rights I have met are vegan and all vegans I have met respect animals.

I have heard of activists hurting humans, which tbh again I disagree with, just like I disagree with the death penalty.

But I can sympathise with why people get so angry and I don't think people who abuse animals should be labelled as any more moral than people who abuse humans.

Because at the end of the day, a living creature is a living creature, regardless of how much power you have over it or whether it is the same species as you.

There is survival and there's enjoyment.
  • Options
    Skive, how's your knowledge of the science of population control? Do you have any idea how many foxes you would have to kill to make even the slightest impact on population numbers?
  • Options
    I don't believe fox hunting is about pest control, it is a sport.

I didn't think you saw any difference between killing for meat, sport, or vermin control?

Shooting is also a sport. People will make sport out of killing vermin as long as they have to kill vermin. A sport is made out of shooting dear aswell - they're numbers also have to be kept down. My mate runs a pest control falconry business, something he also does for sport.
    If people wanted to control foxes, they would use more effective methods, like trapping, shooting, or poison (you have already had admitted there are more effective methods).

They do shoot them and they do it for sport ffs. Trapping and poison are both illegal methods of killing foxes, and so they should be. Fox hunting isn't innefective jsut because you can kill more with a gun. Infact in one sense it's more effective. A fox hit by a slug isn't always going to die, a fox caught by the hound is.

Pest control is business and business is about productivity and profit.

Who says you can't enjoy it? You the authority on what people can enjoy?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    how many foxes do they usually kill on one hunt?
  • Options
    I don't think people who abuse animals should be labelled as any more moral than people who abuse humans.

Because at the end of the day, a living creature is a living creature, regardless of how much power you have over it or whether it is the same species as you.

Well I think that's complete bullshit.

Maybe I'm weird but I make a distinction between animals and people in the same way I make a distinction beteen adults and children, i.e abusing a child is worse than beating an adult.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive, how's your knowledge of the science of population control? Do you have any idea how many foxes you would have to kill to make even the slightest impact on population numbers?

The most effective way of controlling foxes is with cars. Traffic gets most of them.

Fox hunting alone would not make much impact on the overall fox population simply because there arn't enough hunts. They're effective locally.
    Lamping is the most effective way without doubt but that doesn't mean it's the kindest. A lot of you seem to be under the impression shooting is a pretty clean way of killing a fox - often it's not and dogs are still used for chasing.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I disagree with Namaste there. Child abuse is a lot, lot worse than fox hunting. Just as killing a gorilla is worse than killing a pig, which is worse than killing a fly.

The fact is, you'd have to eradicate upwards of 70% of the fox population in a year to make an impact on population numbers. Therefore, don't hide behind pest control as justification for fox hunting. Have the balls to call it what it is - it's a sport, killing of animals for fun, and then defend that. At least that would be an honest position to take. Admit that the reasons you want it legalised are nothing to do with population control, and everything to do with people's leisure activities.
  • Options
    The fact is, you'd have to eradicate upwards of 70% of the fox population in a year to make an impact on population numbers. Therefore, don't hide behind pest control as justification for fox hunting. Have the balls to call it what it is - it's a sport, killing of animals for fun, and then defend that. At least that would be an honest position to take. Admit that the reasons you want it legalised are nothing to do with population control, and everything to do with people's leisure activities.

i dont go fox hunting so my reasons are more matter of fact than personal.
    I don't really liek the idea of chasing an animal for miles across counry for it to be killed by dogs. I've only ever seen fox hunt kill once. I do however know a lot of fox hunters, and I do go shooting and lamping. I think I have a pretty good grasp of the realities regarding countryside sports.
    A regular fox hunt is effective enough at controllong local populations. If it werent, the farmers and other land owners whouldn't allow these 'toofs' to ride across there land in search of a fox.

Fact is the alternative to fox hunting often still involves dogs and the manner of death is no less 'horrific'. Living wher I do and socialising with who I do, I see no actaul improvement on fox welfare. But for everybody else the ban on foc hunting is a good thing without thinking what gos on in it's place.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Child abuse is a lot, lot worse than fox hunting. Just as killing a gorilla is worse than killing a pig, which is worse than killing a fly.

Thank fuck for that.

I don't trust the 'All life is equal' brigade.

If theres a house on fire with a mothe ran kids and pets. The childresn are the priority follwoed by the mother followed by the dog. People say you can't put a value on life but you can. How do I know this? because I'd put the life of any child I had before my own, any familly infact before my own. Children beofe adults, women before men and most certanainly people before animals. I'd make a species extinct just to save 1 stranger. Find fault with that all you like but that's what's importanat to me.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I think it's obvious that any plausible account of morality would have to accept that human suffering is of greater weight than animal suffering. However, it's also very plausible to say that animal suffering is more significant than human pleasures or enjoyments, especially when there are other ways humans can enjoy themselves.

If it's a choice between saving a human life and saving an animal's life, any animal, then there's no question I would save the human. But if it's a choice between human's having a marginally less pleasurable life than they would like, or letting them kill animals for fun, I'm inclined to say they should be forced to find other ways to enjoy themselves.