Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Fox hunting coming back.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Aladdin wrote: »
    A ban on hunting with dogs has always enjoyed the support of the majority of the public

Err, really? Since we didn't have a referendum on it, how do you know this?
    It's only a number of Lords and the few but very powerful advocates of the sport who mounted a monumental campaign of derailment trying to stop the law from coming to be, and who indeed think it is okay to tear foxes apart for entertainment.

That and the millions who are part of the Countryside Alliance (myself included) and the million people who marched for it and the thousands of people whose livelihoods have been affected by it.
    curly boy wrote:
    (you may have noticed i dispise posh twats with a passion)

Why? That's a bit of a sweeping generalisation. How many of said 'posh twats' have you come into contact?

I'm sure I'd come in for a lot of flack if I said that I hate the lumpen proletariat with a passion but hey, live and let live eh?
  • Options
    Why? That's a bit of a sweeping generalisation. How many of said 'posh twats' have you come into contact?

I'm sure I'd come in for a lot of flack if I said that I hate the lumpen proletariat with a passion but hey, live and let live eh?

Thats a very good point.
    Theres a lot of inverted snobbery in this place as well as left wing censorship.
  • Options
    The important world two worlds there are: Not all.
    Because they show that some hunts DO end like that, and surely even one out of every ten hunts ending like that is atrocious!
    X

I don't disagree with you at all. But I do believe that its not helpful for people to give half-facts or smudge the truth to win an argument. It's not just in this topic but in lots of P&D topics, some sweeping statements are often made that are either misleading or obviously uninformed.

So, not all 'toffs' are 'cunts', just like not all 'working class' are the 'salt of the earth'. I far prefer sensible, informed debate and if anyone has an argument to change my opinion, kudos to them. I want to grow as a person too but I want that argument based on facts ... not emotional hysteria. :)
    Thats a very good point.
    Theres a lot of inverted snobbery in this place as well as left wing censorship.

:yes:
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    That and the millions who are part of the Countryside Alliance (myself included) and the million people who marched for it and the thousands of people whose livelihoods have been affected by it.

:yes:

To suggest that's it's only a small number of 'toffs' that enjoy it and participate is ridiculous. And it's not just those who participate in the hunts who campaigned against the ban.

This view that it's only posh twats that participate seems to be half the argument from the anti hunt campaigners. Even if it were a 'toff' only sport (which it's not), what the fuck has that got to do with anything?

The only argument in favour of banning hunting should be if it were unnecessarily cruel. As it goes there are some decent arguments for why it may be nessasary and why banning it doesn't really improve things for the fox.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Err, really? Since we didn't have a referendum on it, how do you know this?
    From memory, from the many opinion polls at the time of the debate that confirmed it.

The Countryside Alliance campaigns for a wide range of issues, not just the "right" of people to kill foxes in any way they see fit. The march, incidentally, was some 406,000 not one million. And as for the jobs that will be at risk, I'm afraid what's wrong is wrong regardless of whether some people might have to diversify their work.
  • Options
    From memory, from the many opinion polls at the time of the debate that confirmed it.

Come, come. Even you know that this isn't really proof of anything.
    The Countryside Alliance campaigns for a wide range of issues, not just the "right" of people to kill foxes in any way they see fit. The march, incidentally, was some 406,000 not one million.

Never said that it did campaign solely for the preservation of fox hunting. Though it was founded in 1997 at the time of the fox hunting debate so while it's not their sole raison d'etre, it's at the forefront of their policies.

As for the numbers, you are correct. I seem to remember it was higher but a quick look on their website shows that it was 407,791. Still, it could be 20 people, it could be 20 million. The government won't have a vote on it or listen to the people. Simple reason - they'd lose.
    And as for the jobs that will be at risk, I'm afraid what's wrong is wrong regardless of whether some people might have to diversify their work.

Opinion not fact. Foxes are vermin that destroy livelihoods and their numbers need to be controlled. In fact, they fare a lot better when their numbers are controlled and they're not having to encroach further and further into the cities in search of food because their numbers are going unchecked.

While I'm not about to embark upon a debate as to the methods required, their numbers need to be kept in check. Nice to see that after a decade of trying to destroy the countryside, the Tories are taking a stand.

Now if they could just repeal the other draconian laws such as the smoking ban, we'd be in business...
  • Options
    Opinion not fact. Foxes are vermin that destroy livelihoods and their numbers need to be controlled. In fact, they fare a lot better when their numbers are controlled and they're not having to encroach further and further into the cities in search of food because their numbers are going unchecked.

While I'm not about to embark upon a debate as to the methods required, their numbers need to be kept in check. Nice to see that after a decade of trying to destroy the countryside, the Tories are taking a stand.
    You do know that hunts are have been known to encourage local fox population numbers to increase so they have more opportunity to hunt don't you?

In any case nobody is arguing against culling foxes. But most people tend to object to a method that is cruel beyond all comprehension.

And who exactly is trying to "destroy the countryside", pray tell? :confused:
  • Options
    Surely there are more economically sound ways of 'pest control' than fox hunting.
  • Options
    In any case nobody is arguing against culling foxes. But most people tend to object to a method that is cruel beyond all comprehension.

Don't see anywhere near as much objection to poisoning and trapping or shooting - all of which have increased despite the first two methods are illegal because of the ban. Just goes to show that's it not so much the death or suffering of the fox that people really care about - it's the fact people can make a day out of it.

I see very good reasons why fox hunting is a good idea but Im put off by the idea of a drawn out chase.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    Don't see anywhere near as much objection to poisoning and trapping or shooting - all of which have increased despite the first two methods are illegal because of the ban. Just goes to show that's it not so much the death or suffering of the fox that people really care about - it's the fact people can make a day out of it.
    I don't disapprove of fox hunting because people enjoy it and make a day out of it. What I do find is that it's hard to take someone's arguments seriously when they're talking about an activity they quite obviously enjoy so much. I wouldn't trust a Japanese whaler's opinion on how vital the "scientific research" is that they use to justify whaling. I wouldn't trust a US medical company's research that the method of healthcare that gives them the biggest profits also just happens to be the one that's most effective. I wouldn't trust Jeremy Clarkson's opinion on the risks of global warming. And when a fox hunter says that it is an important form of pest control, I can't help but think that they might be in a less than objective position to make that argument, given that a significant part of their weekend social life is dependent on the validity of it. It doesn't mean they're wrong, but it does sway my likelihood of taking their opinion with something other than a pinch of salt.
  • Options
    You do know that hunts are have been known to encourage local fox population numbers to increase so they have more opportunity to hunt don't you?

And who exactly is trying to "destroy the countryside", pray tell? :confused:

Despite the fact that shooting, poisoning and trapping are actually far more inhumane in that it takes the fox hours, sometimes days to be killed in most cases? If a hunt ever catches a fox, it's over in split-seconds. All but the very best gamekeepers can clean-kill a fox.

The Labour government is destroying, or trying to destroy the rural way of life in all its guises. If you'd like me to expand on any of this, just tip me the wink and I shall:

- Hunting with dogs
    - Hazel Blears' plan to ignore green belt laws and concrete the south (2008)
    - Axeing 2,500 post offices nationwide, most of these in rural areas where there is no practical alternative
    - Since 1997, the amount of government funding for rural councils has fallen from 57p for every £1 received by urban councils to 51p, probably since Labour voters have never set foot outside suburbia unless it's to go to Centre Parcs or some similar God-forsaken hell hole
    - Rural police? Don't get me started. Read Inspector Gadget's blog.
    - Foot & Mounth 2001
    - Fuel crisis of 2000, where many of the blockaders were farmers, rightly annoyed that EU subsidy law has meant that agricultural output has dwindled in this country since 1997

Whether it boils down to the simple fact that Labour voters tend to be urban-dwellers and that Tories tend to reside in the sticks, or whether it's more complex than that, I don't know. Either way, I know that I still prefer the countryside any day. And if I can blow away some defenceless animals along the way and have them for my supper, all the better.
  • Options
    will they bring back dog fighting too?
  • Options
    Dog fighting serves no purpose, fox hunting does.
  • Options
    well people enjoy watching dogs fight.
    people enjoy watching dogs kill foxes.

Its all the same. just people getting off on watching animals kill each other.

If the fox population need controlling, then there needs to be some humane way of doing it, rather than a bunch of sadists in red coats parading round the countryside.

i dont have any special feelings for foxes over any other animals, but i think going round encouraging dogs to rip foxes to shreds in a weird pompous ceremony, is distasteful and inhumane
  • Options

For the sake of balance, I presume that your disgust for this type of pastime also extends to your disgust for bull fighting? Bull fighting is appallingly cruel - perhaps even more than fox hunting. At least the fox has a chance to get out alive and is not continually 'pierced' to get get a reaction
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    For the sake of balance, I presume that your disgust for this type of pastime also extends to your disgust for bull fighting? Bull fighting is appallingly cruel - perhaps even more than fox hunting. At least the fox has a chance to get out alive and is not continually 'pierced' to get get a reaction
    Yes, I completely do. I find it, in fact, far more revolting than fox hunting.

Believe me, I've had plenty of run-ins with knuckle draggers in Spain who think it's "an art" and justified. A majority of young people appear to be against it but a lot of older people don't. Personally I feel like opening up a bottle of bubbly whenever a matador is goaded.
  • Options
    Despite the fact that shooting, poisoning and trapping are actually far more inhumane in that it takes the fox hours, sometimes days to be killed in most cases? If a hunt ever catches a fox, it's over in split-seconds. All but the very best gamekeepers can clean-kill a fox.
    All but the best? Oh come off it.

What is it with foxes that they are apparently impossible to kill humanely when we managed to do so with most other species? We might as well use them in the military and attach explosives to them for the blowing up of enemy tanks, seeing as it is apparently impossible to shoot one dead.

A much repeated but false myth, perpetuated to justify the existence of hunting with dogs.

As for Labour's efforts to "destroy" the countryside

- Hunting with dogs: irrelevant to the welfare of the countryside

- Hazel Blears' plan to ignore green belt laws and concrete the south (2008): let's see how much is "concreted over" and how much is Daily Mail hysteria shall we

- Axeing 2,500 post offices nationwide, most of these in rural areas where there is no practical alternative: that I agree with, though I'll be interesting to see what the Tories plan to do about it: because the bottom line remains that if they are to be kept open, taxes will have to go up to pay for it all. And we know how much Tories love taxes

- Since 1997, the amount of government funding for rural councils has fallen from 57p for every £1 received by urban councils to 51p, probably since Labour voters have never set foot outside suburbia unless it's to go to Centre Parcs or some similar God-forsaken hell hole: I don't know the ins and outs of this but a lot of other areas have seen cuts in funding. There is no countryside-hating agenda at work. And the suggestion that Labour has few or no voters from the countryside is of course a monumental load of bovine excrement

- Foot & Mounth 2001: Yes, Labour is responsible for diseases and bacteria as well.

Incidentally, funny how you don't mention the single most damaging event the countryside has seen in 100 years: namely the BSE scandal, something that was caused not by the Labour (or Tory) governments, but by the appalling practices by farmers fuelled by greed, and which might cost yet the lives of hundreds of thousands of people in this country

- Fuel crisis of 2000, where many of the blockaders were farmers, rightly annoyed that EU subsidy law has meant that agricultural output has dwindled in this country since 1997: Oh, I think farmers do very well indeed out of fuel subsidies and other such help.

Never mind that the cost of motoring has, in real terms, actually come down significantly over the decades. Something the fuel lobby doesn't want to be spoken about.
  • Options
    Yes, I completely do. I find it, in fact, far more revolting than fox hunting.

Believe me, I've had plenty of run-ins with knuckle draggers in Spain who think it's "an art" and justified. A majority of young people appear to be against it but a lot of older people don't. Personally I feel like opening up a bottle of bubbly whenever a matador is goaded.

Good lad. :)
  • Options
    All but the best? Oh come off it.

What is it with foxes that they are apparently impossible to kill humanely when we managed to do so with most other species? We might as well use them in the military and attach explosives to them for the blowing up of enemy tanks, seeing as it is apparently impossible to shoot one dead.

A much repeated but false myth, perpetuated to justify the existence of hunting with dogs.

Well you clearly don't go shooting that often. If dogs catch the fox it's a certain kill. Shooting them often results in maimed foxes getting away.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    So why don't we use hounds to kill other 'vermin'? Because sure as hell they'd capable to handle everything from the smallest mammals to the biggest ones.

Or could it be that foxes are more appropriate and fun prey to chase on horses than, say, deer?
  • Options
    So why don't we use hounds to kill other 'vermin'? Because sure as hell they'd capable to handle everything from the smallest mammals to the biggest ones.

:confused:

We do. I go ferreting (rabbits control) and ratting with dogs. Nothing more effective at killing them than terriers.

Still trap moles, but I've yet to find a dog small enough to fit down a mole tump and people don't generally like holes being dug all over their lawn.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    How about deer? People seem to be able to kill them without the help of packs of dogs.

Foxes are considerably larger than rats and rabbits. Anyone who is a decent shoot and trained could take care of the culling without the need for hounds. Indeed, when you think of the resources employed to kill a fox with a hunt (50+ dogs, horsemen, helpers, etc etc), hunting with dogs seems an extraordinarily inefficent way (resources-way) to control vermin, and something a single man with a rifle could do much better.
  • Options
    How about deer? People seem to be able to kill them without the help of packs of dogs.

Same problem occurs though. Often kills are not clean at all.
    Anyone who is a decent shoot and trained could take care of the culling without the need for hounds.

Not denying that shooting isn't an effective way of culling animals, just that's it's not really any more humane. It's not like the movies where a bad guy drops down instantly dead after being shot. Some get away with horrific injuries (something that cannot be said of hunting with dogs)
    Indeed, when you think of the resources employed to kill a fox with a hunt (50+ dogs, horsemen, helpers, etc etc), hunting with dogs seems an extraordinarily inefficent way (resources-way) to control vermin

What's your point? The only people it costs are those that enjoy doing it. Add to that the fact it actaully creates jobs and these hunts still go drag hunting.

I don't want to be overly defensive of fox hunting because I don't really like it, but I accept there are some good reasons why it shouldn't have been banned.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Fucking hell, Skive your sick. And not in the good way!
    *tuts*
    X
  • Options
    Fucking hell, Skive your sick. And not in the good way!
    *tuts*
    X

If you had a rat problem you'd want to get rid of them wouldn't you?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    If you had a rat problem you'd want to get rid of them wouldn't you?

NO NOT BY FUCKING KILLING THEM.

I'M VEGAN.
    Xx
  • Options
    id get men in fancy coats to come parading round my house, blowing trumpets and getting their dogs to rip the rats to pieces whilst taking obvious glee in the carnage.

thats the only humane way to do it tbh
  • Options

The Labour government is destroying, or trying to destroy the rural way of life in all its guises. If you'd like me to expand on any of this, just tip me the wink and I shall:

- Hunting with dogs
    - Hazel Blears' plan to ignore green belt laws and concrete the south (2008)
    - Axeing 2,500 post offices nationwide, most of these in rural areas where there is no practical alternative
    - Since 1997, the amount of government funding for rural councils has fallen from 57p for every £1 received by urban councils to 51p, probably since Labour voters have never set foot outside suburbia unless it's to go to Centre Parcs or some similar God-forsaken hell hole
    - Rural police? Don't get me started. Read Inspector Gadget's blog.
    - Foot & Mounth 2001
    - Fuel crisis of 2000, where many of the blockaders were farmers, rightly annoyed that EU subsidy law has meant that agricultural output has dwindled in this country since 1997

Whether it boils down to the simple fact that Labour voters tend to be urban-dwellers and that Tories tend to reside in the sticks, or whether it's more complex than that, I don't know. Either way, I know that I still prefer the countryside any day. And if I can blow away some defenceless animals along the way and have them for my supper, all the better.
    What part of the countryside are you from? :confused:

Fox hunting is more of a class thing, than a countryside thing in my experience. I have known people from cities do it and to be fair, it has fuck all to do with post offices and country life.

I don't understand the correlation at all... A lot of rural people I know and have grown up with (I grew up in a small village on a mountain) work in shops, or on farms... They don't even think about things like fox hunting as it is more centred around the community goings on.

I know people who have gone out shooting mixy rabbits, but that's it. Fox hunting is just not a part of country life for most people, just the few middle England who live out their in their nice converted barn houses.

A lot of people in the countryside live in poverty, a different kind of poverty than city people. If we want to support the people in the countryside, maybe we could look at helping thousands of people heat their homes, rather than a few middle class barbarians go out and hurt animals for fun.
  • Options
    id get men in fancy coats to come parading round my house, blowing trumpets and getting their dogs to rip the rats to pieces whilst taking obvious glee in the carnage.

thats the only humane way to do it tbh

Just more evidence that it got more to do with the fancy coats and trumpets than it has actually got to do with the killing of the animal. If you going to argue that fox hunting is cruel then do so, I pretty much agree with you, however where the people who participate in the sport come from or what they wear has fuck all to do with anything.

If you had a stables or a farm and you had a rat problem, humane traps (the capture and release one) are not effective in the slightest. I'm talking about a problem where there are hundreds of rats. Now if I had a kid and I knew they were working or riding in a stable with such a problem I'd want rid of the fucking things, rats spread disease. Often as kids we used to shoot them, but nothing's more effective than stickign up a few nets and letting the dogs go at them. None of them escape with horrifc wounds. They die in seconds. Most humane way of dealing with them
    Namaste wrote:
    Fox hunting is more of a class thing, than a countryside thing in my experience. I have known people from cities do it and to be fair, it has fuck all to do with post offices and country life.

That's quite a different experience than mine. I've grown up in a village too, workign on farms as a kid, shooting and beating every weekend. Most of the people that go to my local hunt are local middle class girls that went to my comprehensive school. That and local farmers and foresters. Hardly toffs. It has a lot to do with the countryside. - most of the people involved in hunting are those that actively take part in the managment of the countryside, people that get their hands dirty.

This thread is full of inverted snobbery. That's hald the issue I think. Every anti hunt poster in this thread has made reference to class - somehting that should have nothing to do with the issue. As it goes people are happy with the ban because they see it as preventing 'toffs' riding round killing foxes. The reality they now pay no attention to is that foxes still die in horrific ways.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options

Foxes are considerably larger than rats and rabbits. Anyone who is a decent shoot and trained could take care of the culling without the need for hounds. Indeed, when you think of the resources employed to kill a fox with a hunt (50+ dogs, horsemen, helpers, etc etc), hunting with dogs seems an extraordinarily inefficent way (resources-way) to control vermin, and something a single man with a rifle could do much better.

Humans are much bigger than foxes, but the amount of humans who survive gunshot wounds (and by high velocity weaponary) suggests size isn't everything (and in gunshot wounds may be a advantage to survival - at least with humans who get medical care).

But we're not talking about efficiency - the most efficient way would be petrol down the hole and lit match, but about the least suffering.