Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Fox hunting coming back.

Comments

• Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Foxes are no more dogs than I am a goldfish.

That's not really correct is it. Foxes are not dogs but they both belong to the same familly. They're both Canids.

Not that it matters.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Skive wrote: »
    Don't think I can explain. I just think fuck all that philosophical bullshit. I react on my instincts and that would include saving a childs life over yours or any other adult, just the same as it would include sving yours over any animal.

Child rape is worse than adult rape. Child murder is worse than adult murder. The killing of animal is not as bad as the killing of a fellow human being. I think most normal people agree - and that is why eating meating is not considered as bad as murder.

You can put a value on life, if you couldn't life would mean the same to everybody and there goes humanity.
    Am I the crazy one here? Or are you lot just off you fucking head?

You're not crazy; but you're not exactly rational either.

If you can't give an adequate reason why we should think a child's life is more valuable that that of a human, then you're not being rational to think that - rationality is about responding correctly to reasons, and being able to give reasons for your decisions and judgments.

Without giving anything approaching a good reason for this, it just an emotional, gut reaction that can't stand up to scrutiny, and therefore gives us no reason to act on your position or incorporate it into our considered judgments about morality.

Sure, lots of people have an emotional, gut reaction that killing a child is worse than killing an adult. It doesn't mean they are right though, unless they can offer sound reasons why this is so. And appealing to vague, wishy-washy metaphysical bullshit like 'innocence' won't really cut it, either.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    jamelia wrote: »
    You're not crazy; but you're not exactly rational either.
    If you can't give an adequate reason why we should think a child's life is more valuable that that of a human, then you're not being rational to think that - rationality is about responding correctly to reasons, and being able to give reasons for your decisions and judgments.

It may not be rational but it doesn't make me wrong either.

You beleive a childs life is of equal worth to that of a phytoplankton, but you'll never act on that beleif bacasue you have emotions that would lead you to put the child above all other life. That's because humankind (and all other life) isn't rational. We have emotions, but you obviously don't consider them relevant when putting a value on life.

I do.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Sure, lots of people have an emotional, gut reaction that killing a child is worse than killing an adult. It doesn't mean they are right though, unless they can offer sound reasons why this is so. And appealing to vague, wishy-washy metaphysical bullshit like 'innocence' won't really cut it, either.

Saving a child over an adult is simply a logical choice, in an extreme position.

Unless you have time to conduct an interview - which the concept of having to make such a choice suggests you do not - then saving the child makes more sense, as they will live longer, and can therefore be more productive for longer than the adult.

Most people though - I suspect - would not make such a choice based on logic or rationality, as they would simply react emotionally and save the child. You do not have to rationalise the decision to make it right.
  • Options
    I think you're confusing foxes with wolves.

It wasn't a wolf. I'll try and find the pictures, and for all I know you are a goldfish ;)
    X
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »

None of that's true.

I know I am a cunt, so that is true. Even if you don't think it.
    X
  • Options
    Of course a child's life is more valuable than a phytoplankton. No sensible person would deny that! But the point is, I can give you good reasons why that is the case, reasons I think you could accept.

It's one thing to act emotionally and to make emotional judgments, that might be fine. But you also need to justify it with good reasons. If you can't justify your emotional reaction with good reasons, then you run the risk of being accused of irrationality and acting impulsively and unreasonably. It's fine to make emotional judgments and responses. But then you need to support them with good reasons.
  • Options
    Mist wrote: »
    You do not have to rationalise the decision to make it right.

Acting morally is about being able to justify our actions to others. To be a moral agent is to be committed to offering other people reasons they could accept for our conduct. If you can't, you're just acting on a whim.
  • Options
    *coughs* passed my swimming national curriculum aged 8 *coughs*
    Anyway, age has nothing to do with it.
    I'd let them drown, and hope somebody with more moral correctness than myself save them!
    X

I'm going to qualify the theoretical situation futher, though I suspect it'll be futile. If the pond was only up to your neck for both the child and the cat, and you weren't in any danger yourself, would you choose to save either of them?
  • Options
    Acting morally is about being able to justify our actions to others. To be a moral agent is to be committed to offering other people reasons they could accept for our conduct. If you can't, you're just acting on a whim.

I wasn't talking about morality though, that wasn't what you were asking about.
  • Options
    Mist wrote: »
    I wasn't talking about morality though, that wasn't what you were asking about.

What else do you mean by right and wrong, if not morality?

You said: "You do not have to rationalise the decision to make it right".

What do you mean by right, if not morally right?

And if you mean morally right, how can you argue that, except with reference to good reasons?
  • Options
    I'm going to qualify the theoretical situation futher, though I suspect it'll be futile. If the pond was only up to your neck for both the child and the cat, and you weren't in any danger yourself, would you choose to save either of them?

Hmmm, I'd probaly get someone else in the park to do it. And I'd save which ever one they didn't, I have prefrence between the drowning person/cat as I don't know them and also- I'm not that tall and I reckon the child could get out if it was up to my neck.

But otherwise, I'd ring the police and rspca.
    X
  • Options
    When I was younger I sat for hours in the park watching a fox cub, it was playing with one of our dogs. They are dogs, but just dogs that haven't been ruined by humans. Dogs that still do what dogs are supposed to do.
    X

Just to clear up a little misconception i think you have. Foxes are not cuddly, sweet little animals. They probably are similar to wild dogs yes in the fact they are natural born killers and one of the countryside's best predators (barring ourselves of course). They maim and mutilate for vicious thrills. Hence the reason why farmers loathe them. I've seen a fox get into a shed full of 300 chickens (yes badly fenced i know) and have a field day. It wasn't nice and it certainly wasn't cuddly. (this isnt said in the defence of hunting by the way, just as a statement of fact for you).
    And whoever said hounds aren't cared for that's a bit of a sweeping statement. The majority of hounds are looked after by good huntsmen who know their job and live for those hounds.
  • Options
    I know they aren't cuddly. I'm saying I hate the way we have domesticated animals. Seriously, guys, I am not as thick as I sound ;) I know fox's are violent, hunters. Like they should be. They have not evolved enough to change that, we have though. We shouldn't live in the stone ages anymore. The one thing that has changed is our weapons!surely we should be sorting out world peace not trying to blow up other animals...
    X
  • Options
    Hmmm, I'd probaly get someone else in the park to do it. And I'd save which ever one they didn't, I have prefrence between the drowning person/cat as I don't know them and also- I'm not that tall and I reckon the child could get out if it was up to my neck.

But otherwise, I'd ring the police and rspca.
    X

I'm not going to qualify the theoretical situation any further. I think I've heard everything I need to: I find your outlook disturbing. It appears that you can't draw distinction between the life of a cat and that of a human. It also worries me that you seem to believe in some way it would be possible to ascertain the vices and virtues of a cat. I thought at first you were elevating animals to the level of humans, but it seems that actually you have an utter disregard for all life.
  • Options
    you have an utter disregard for all life.

Including my own. Tbh, I I'm sure if I cared I'd probaly save them both and let the world have a happy ending. But it doesn't work that way. Why should one die and not the other? They both got themselves in that stupid situation, I'm not getting them out. It is mean, selfish, and wrong. But I wouldn't save one and not the other- I couldn't live with that.
    X
  • Options
    I know they aren't cuddly. I'm saying I hate the way we have domesticated animals. Seriously, guys, I am not as thick as I sound ;) I know fox's are violent, hunters. Like they should be. They have not evolved enough to change that, we have though. We shouldn't live in the stone ages anymore. The one thing that has changed is our weapons!surely we should be sorting out world peace not trying to blow up other animals...
    X

You will never change the nature of the beast. There will always be predators in this world no matter how much change you make. The law of the wild. There are hunters and there are prey, we've evolved so much so that we will always be at the top of the food chain. You can't quite put world peace in the same bracket as shooting animals i'm afraid. We won't ever "evolve" to the extent you wish. But then i'm a cynical old cow i'm afraid :)
  • Options
    X

What the fuck do you think foxes are going to evolve into ...hippys?
    Guys in suits with nukes?
    You think we evolved ...beyond our environment ...we no longer need soil?
  • Options
    yikes, this debate has gone off on so many tangents.......anyway, I love animals & would never intentianally set out to harm or hunt an animal. My cat has been my lifesaver, that cat has more personality than most people I know. when I came home from hospital after my second miscarriage, I was asleep on the sofa, & my husband said that Trix sat looking at me, for about an hour, it was like she was afraid I was going to go away again..... I will forever love her for that & will always appreciate the contribution animals can make, because their little lives are important too.
  • Options
    Yep you're right, def. gone off on a tangent a long time ago, that'll be debates for you :D

Everyone is different. I love animals too, i have cats, horses and dogs. But i also admit to being a human predator in the fact that I see pest control, meat eating etc. as an everyday thing. I'm quite similar to skive in my views really as i agree with a lot of what he's said on here.
  • Options
    Carolina wrote: »
    You will never change the nature of the beast. There will always be predators in this world no matter how much change you make. The law of the wild.

The only person I can change is myself- and what I do. And if that shows someone else a new way of life, so be it. I'm not out to convert the world. No one will change me, therefore I expect to change no one
    X
  • Options
    Don't protest to much about fox hunting or you'll end up on that police list I've mentioned.
  • Options
    I know they aren't cuddly. I'm saying I hate the way we have domesticated animals. Seriously, guys, I am not as thick as I sound ;) I know fox's are violent, hunters. Like they should be. They have not evolved enough to change that, we have though.

Not terribly au fait with the principles of evolution are we?

Foxes are not unevolved. They are as evolved as us. Evolution is not a journey from many paths to one single goal of consciousness, morality and being able to watch the X Factor. The housefly is as evolved as we are. It is as evolved as it needs to be to survive in its habitat. Just as foxes, sheep, cows and every other creature on the planet.

Foxes will not evolve to wear tweed suits, read the FT and live in semis in suburbia. Nor will houseflies eventually evolve legs and walk upright. They are both as evolved as they need to be in their current habitat.
    We shouldn't live in the stone ages anymore. The one thing that has changed is our weapons!surely we should be sorting out world peace not trying to blow up other animals...
    X

I don't understand any of this.

We are not using smart bombs, high-powered sniper rifles and anti-personnel mines to kill foxes. What planet are you on?

The "weapons" used in fox hunting are dogs and horses. According to Wikipedia, horses are believed to have been first domesticated in the Eurasian steppes around 3500-4000 BC. Dogs were first domesticated for certain in around 7000 BC, with evidence to suggest it happened even earlier.

Not exactly cutting edge weaponry is it?
  • Options
    The only person I can change is myself- and what I do. And if that shows someone else a new way of life, so be it. I'm not out to convert the world. No one will change me, therefore I expect to change no one
    X

You've never changed your opinion on a matter? I suspect plenty of people have changed you. We don't live in a vacuum. People are changing our opinions all the time - sometimes consciously, sometimes not.

Your attempted non-interventionist stance isn't feasible or moral.
  • Options
    Whatever weapon is used doesn't matter, the issue is that an innocent animal dies. :no: Personally I cannot stand suffering, isn't there enough suffering in the world? I saw the front of the daily express today, a 15 year old girls puppy was killed by a load of little shits in a park, after they stamped on it's head, in front of her. I mean what the hell! These people have to be of the lowest intelligence possible, or are just pure evil. Why would a fox be any different? Is still gets ripped to death? I believe that people that enjoy the suffering of animals would actually like to be soldiers, but the wouldn't have the balls to hold a gun to someone holding one pointing back at them. Cowards way is to go after defenceless animals...:rolleyes: It makes me sick!
  • Options
    Fox hunting isn't cowardly - it involves a fair degree of risk. You trying belting on a horse over difficult terrain at speed...

Funnily enough I was also reading about some cats poisoned today - it took several days of excruciating agony for them to die. It's not that they're poisoned and gently sleep into the long good night, but that they're insides putrefy from bits of sharp metal that was blasted into them and they gasp up bits of entrails before they die in agony.
  • Options
    maybe we should just not kill foxes, and just do more to protect farm animals from them? I mean its not like we live in a country with shitloads of dangerous predators, yet feel the need to cull even the very few that we do have
  • Options
    If it could be convincingly argued that hunting with dogs was one of the most effective ways of killing foxes, would anyone here who is currently against fox hunting change their mind?
  • Options
    If it could be convincingly argued that hunting with dogs was one of the most effective ways of killing foxes, would anyone here who is currently against fox hunting change their mind?

If there were compelling evidence that hunting with dogs was an effective way not just of killing foxes, but of significantly controlling the fox population;

And I was presented with a compelling case that such a cull of the fox population is absolutely necessary (I'm not saying it's not - I'm just not sure about it);

Then I absolutely would change my mind.

I repeatedly asked for evidence of the first claim in this thread; no one presented any.

I would be interested to hear the case for the second condition too.
  • Options

NO! Would you accept your vet "putting your dog down" by allowing him/her to set a group of other dogs on it? :confused: