Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Fox hunting coming back.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
If the Tories win the election.
Vote winner?

Comments

• Options
    Not for me. Don't have a problem with hunting foxes if necessary, but it shouldn't be done in such a showman way just for fun. We don't allow dogs / cocks to fight for our entertainment anymore so why should we let foxes be hunted for that reason? People were just crying about it because fox hunting looks a lot more glamourous than a load of scruffy lads getting their dogs to fight each other.

If they're concerned about the population, well then they have to control the population - including culling which I think is fine - humanely. That's not the objective when they create artificial earths and encourage more breeding pairs - the objective is to have lots of foxes to hunt in the season because it's a grand day out, it would be boring if they didn't find any.

I expect for a lot of people it would be a vote winner though. Kind of like a NIMBY thing, except in reverse.
  • Options
    i dont think its a vote winner, i think the people that would vote for the torys because of this, are the people that would vote conservative anyway
  • Options
    tbh, first election vote this time (hopefully)
    its put me off voting for them, i'm not an animal rights activist or anything i just don't like posh upper class toffs (or tossers as i call them) getting their own way as usual, fox hunting is cruel, not just to the fox, they starve the hounds before a hunt, often push the horses beyond their level and then they don't kill the fox humainly, they let the hounds rip it to shreds when its so exhausted it can't run away anymore.
    those 2 reasons have put me off them completly

(you may have noticed i dispise posh twats with a passion)
  • Options
    Have you got a link for this? Or are you that ready to believe the lies that New Labour tells you?

There are about a million more important issues than this. The economy is completely fucked, our country is run by a shower of cunts - and you're worried about some foxes being shot?
  • Options
    Vote winner?
    Vote winner? I doubt it. The law breakers have been allowed to flaunt the law without any consequences (as always, one law for them...), and most who are not into fox hunting think of it as an abominable barbarity.

The only difference it will make is that more foxes will end up being torn up limb from limb and disembowelled alive for the amusement of twats on horses.
  • Options
    I bet the foxes are glad - too many of them are dying long drawn out deaths from poison or limb wounds.
  • Options
    I think you all know my views here...
    X
  • Options
    I bet the foxes are glad - too many of them are dying long drawn out deaths from poison or limb wounds.

Thats the truth.
    To many bad shots about as well.
    You blow half the foxes head off and it can take days ...weeks to die.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Have you got a link for this? Or are you that ready to believe the lies that New Labour tells you?

There are about a million more important issues than this. The economy is completely fucked, our country is run by a shower of cunts - and you're worried about some foxes being shot?

I suppose Gordon Brown is responsible for America being bankrupt.
  • Options
    I was neither for nor against, maybe slightly against if anything. But for God's sake, I hope that the issue doesn't get drawn out by the media over many months like it did back in 2002/3. It's up there with the Jacko paedophilia claims which also got too drawn out. Boring boring boring :-)
  • Options
    i dont think its a vote winner, i think the people that would vote for the torys because of this, are the people that would vote conservative anyway

^^ what he/she said.
  • Options
    Vote winner?

It's not a manifesto promise but it will likely come up again as a free vote - which is slightly different.
  • Options
    Six months ago it was a big issue ...a deffinite promise ....
  • Options
    I suppose Gordon Brown is responsible for America being bankrupt.

I heard he faked the moon landings, but not before setting up a CCTV system on venus.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    I heard he faked the moon landings, but not before setting up a CCTV system on venus.

Yeah ...if you listen to SG Brown is probably responsible for 911 too.
  • Options
    I know it'll come back and I know I will be lending my support to hunt sabs, to make this 'sport' more difficult for the monsters who enjoy it.

It makes me sad that in a so called civilised society, so many people consider foxhunting a 'sport'. If I kicked a dog around the room for fun, that would be abuse, no?

Fox hunting is repulsive and so is trapping and so are the people who do it imo.
  • Options
    Yeah ...if you listen to SG, Brown is probably responsible for 911 too.
    If Brown had been responsible for planning 9/11, those suicide bombers would just have ended up hurling mobile phones at the Twin Towers.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    If Brown had been responsible for planning 9/11, those suicide bombers would just have ended up hurling mobile phones at the Twin Towers.

Thankyou very muchly SG for that comma:D
  • Options
    Six months ago it was a big issue ...a deffinite promise ....

I don't quite understand what you mean. Its not a promise to automatically repeal the fox hunting ban but a promise of a free vote.

Considering some Tories did indeed vote for the ban and then add that to the Labour and Lib Dem votes, the Tories would have to win the election by a huge landslide to unilaterally repeal the law. That landslide is extremely unlikely.
  • Options
    A ban on hunting with dogs has always enjoyed the support of the majority of the public and the MPs from all sides of the House.

It's only a number of Lords and the few but very powerful advocates of the sport who mounted a monumental campaign of derailment trying to stop the law from coming to be, and who indeed think it is okay to tear foxes apart for entertainment.
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    I know it'll come back and I know I will be lending my support to hunt sabs, to make this 'sport' more difficult for the monsters who enjoy it.

It makes me sad that in a so called civilised society, so many people consider foxhunting a 'sport'. If I kicked a dog around the room for fun, that would be abuse, no?

Fox hunting is repulsive and so is trapping and so are the people who do it imo.

And then if you were to chase that dog on a horse, with a gun...

I don't quite understand the enjoyment people can get out of killing animals. :(
    X
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I don't quite understand the enjoyment people can get out of killing animals. :(
    X

It's a buzz. Never been very keen on fox hunting, though most of the girls I know used to participate. The only hunting with dogs I've done is ratting and ferreting which is great fun.

I could give a fuck about fox hunting. It's only a bloody fox.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I'm not a fan of fox hunting at all because I love animals. But to keep things in perspective, when foxes are hunted, they don't have the same perception to being hunted as a human does. They don't anticipate being caught or cornered and in MOST cases, they do actually get away. In fact, a 'successful hunt' ends when the fox is accounted for by entering a hole in the ground, called an earth. Once there, hounds are rewarded with praise from their huntsman. The fox gets away and is chased another day.

Neither is fox hunting a British innovation. Plenty of other European countries have their own long tradition of hunting foxes with hounds such as France, Italy and Ireland, for example, have thriving fox hunts.
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    they don't have the same perception to being hunted as a human does

yes- but the humans know perfectly well what they are doing!

And, skive, I can't even be bothered to comment further on your post.

X
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    And, skive, I can't even be bothered to comment on your post.

You just have ;)

I don't give much of a fuck whether it's legal or not. I thinks it's important to get some perspective though, foxes are still killed legally by methods no less 'horrific' and there are definately some legitimate reasons why it's the best way to control them.
    Still, I'm not a fan of chasing an animal miles across country for it to be ripped apart. Same with hare coursing.

Ratting, ferreting and falconry are quite different, there's no drawn out pursuit. And of course the death of rats, rabbits and birds doesn't seem to bother people as much as cute cuddley foxes.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    You just have ;)

:grump: bitch.
    haha... changing the post...
    Xx
  • Options
    yes- but the humans know perfectly well what they are doing!

Absolutely! That's why I don't support fox hunting. :)
  • Options
    I'm not a fan of fox hunting at all because I love animals. But to keep things in perspective, when foxes are hunted, they don't have the same perception to being hunted as a human does. They don't anticipate being caught or cornered and in MOST cases, they do actually get away. In fact, a 'successful hunt' ends when the fox is accounted for by entering a hole in the ground, called an earth. Once there, hounds are rewarded with praise from their huntsman. The fox gets away and is chased another day.

Actually they send in terriers to grab onto them and try to pull them out. If they fail, they dig with spades. You've never heard of terrier work?

As Skive though, I know plenty of people who used to go, and the whole killing of the fox and the hunt are very divorced. There are even rules to stipulate when you must stop chasing / when you are allowed to start in order to give the fox a 'fair and sporting' chance. So for example, if you come across an earth with a fox in it, you must send in a dog to chase it out, let it get a fair bit away, then you are allowed to chase. It would be seen as 'unfair' to just kill it before its been chased.

They also attempt to block up as many earths as they can find, to stop the fox going to ground so they have a better chance of a good chase.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Actually they send in terriers to grab onto them and try to pull them out. If they fail, they dig with spades. You've never heard of terrier work?

I've believe that's true but not all hunts end in that procedure. I suppose it depends on the number of (vermin) foxes in the area. To kill every fox in an area would, ultimately, take away the 'social' aspects of the hunt.
  • Options
    I've believe that's true but not all hunts end in that procedure.

The important world two worlds there are: Not all.
    Because they show that some hunts DO end like that, and surely even one out of every ten hunts ending like that is atrocious!
    X