Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Fox hunting coming back.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    jamelia wrote: »
    I think it's obvious that any plausible account of morality would have to accept that human suffering is of greater weight than animal suffering. However, it's also very plausible to say that animal suffering is more significant than human pleasures or enjoyments, especially when there are other ways humans can enjoy themselves.

If it's a choice between saving a human life and saving an animal's life, any animal, then there's no question I would save the human. But if it's a choice between human's having a marginally less pleasurable life than they would like, or letting them kill animals for fun, I'm inclined to say they should be forced to find other ways to enjoy themselves.

that sums it up for me :thumb:
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    Yes hunting is fun.
    I dunno what this reaching 30 and earning respect nonsense is all about though? :confused:

Sorry I just think that people's views on things change as they age, & have a more mature view on life in their thirties, like I do now. Boy did I do some stupid crap in my twenties & you live to regret these things. I suppose we are all entitled to our opinions but I think that properly controlling the wild animal population is one thing, but chasing little animals for fun? I think live & let live, because these things will always come back to bite you in the arse (excuse the pun,:rolleyes: )
  • Options
    NavyBlue wrote: »
    Sorry I just think that people's views on things change as they age, & have a more mature view on life in their thirties, like I do now. Boy did I do some stupid crap in my twenties & you live to regret these things. I suppose we are all entitled to our opinions but I think that properly controlling the wild animal population is one thing, but chasing little animals for fun? I think live & let live, because these things will always come back to bite you in the arse (excuse the pun,:rolleyes: )

So by that rationale, the only people qualified to speak on the issue are nonogenarians? Then again, they do a lot more stupid crap than centerians... What a load of guff. Most people who go hunting are above 30.
  • Options
    Children beofe adults, women before men and most certanainly people before animals. I'd make a species extinct just to save 1 stranger. Find fault with that all you like but that's what's importanat to me.

Why do you think humans are worth saving over any other life form, as a matter of interest? Is this a religious thing?
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    Why do you think humans are worth saving over any other life form, as a matter of interest? Is this a religious thing?

I can't belive what Skive said!! That stranger could be a serial killer... a child abuser... a wife beater. And he would kill all of one kind of animal, for that one person? I'd rather die than hurt an animal. As a vegan, and a buddhist, I belive we are equal. That little ant you steped on could be the leader of a country in the next life. You just don't know.
    X
  • Options
    So by that rationale, the only people qualified to speak on the issue are nonogenarians? Then again, they do a lot more stupid crap than centerians... What a load of guff. Most people who go hunting are above 30.

I was simply stating that maturity comes with age, the majority of people that go on drag hunts in my local area are students beacuse I know them. Drag hunting I can accept. BUt I just can't get past the cruelty aspect of fox hunting, here it shows how Bord Failte (Irelands tourist board) promoted Blood sports, in a greedy, sick attempt at making money out of the suffering of little animals. http://www.banbloodsports.com/ln-bordf.htm
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I can't belive what Skive said!! That stranger could be a serial killer... a child abuser... a wife beater. And he would kill all of one kind of animal, for that one person?

Likewise that stranger could go on to discover the cure for cancer. Your saying it's not worth saving a strangers life because they because they may be bad people? I'm sorry but I don't think you've thought this argument through.

I'd rather live in a world where people put other people above anything else. It's a fundamental part of being human.
    I'd rather die than hurt an animal.

That's a stupid thing to say and you may beleive it, but I don't.
    That little ant you steped on could be the leader of a country in the next life.

Well by stepping on that little ant your helping them on their way. :D
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I'd rather live in a world where people put other people above anything else. It's a fundamental part of being human.

BUt people don't put people above anything else. Let alone animals. Life is life, be it a man woman child cat dog fox......I definelty say live & let live.
  • Options
    I can't belive what Skive said!! That stranger could be a serial killer... a child abuser... a wife beater. And he would kill all of one kind of animal, for that one person? I'd rather die than hurt an animal. As a vegan, and a buddhist, I belive we are equal. That little ant you steped on could be the leader of a country in the next life. You just don't know.
    X

Broken angel, are you really only 12? Great views! ;) I know it's hard to not get upset by these things, I mean we only have control over what we do ourselves. I Just can't stand animal cruelty & I just feel fox-hunting is a "dressed-up" form of it. At the end of the day an animal is chased to exhaustion & still dies. There was a story here of a group of people that put a dog in a car & set the car on fire, same outcome, an animal dies! It's all killing now matter how you put it, isn't it?
  • Options
    Out of interest.... how many people who support the ban on foxhunting would support a ban on fishing? I personally can't see how its different.

I'm of the view that fox hunting should never have been banned in the first place, loads of dogs got put down..... But i'm unsure as to now whether it should be made legal again.
  • Options
    BUt people don't put people above anything else.

Not always but they should.
    Life is life, be it a man woman child cat dog fox......

If you consider all life to be of equal worth than do you inlcude vegtable in that aswell, or is it just sentient life your talking about?
    Either way if you don't hold the welfare of a child or just another person to be more important than that of any animal you truely are a nutter and certainly not somebody I could fully trust.

It's not that that I don't hold the welfare of animals to be unimportant just that their some way down the list, certainly behind family, friends, myself and strangers.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Broken angel, are you really only 12? Great views! ;)

No they're not. They're absurd.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Children beofe adults, women before men and most certanainly people before animals. I'd make a species extinct just to save 1 stranger. Find fault with that all you like but that's what's importanat to me.

I'll try that again. :)

• Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    I'll try that again. :)

Sorry missed your previous post.

I'm not religious at all. The answer is because I am human. A childs life is more valuable than that of an adult, and human more than that of an animal.

Obviously the life is equal brigade disagree. But then I don't think they've got any clear answers yet either. If all life was equal they wouldn't even be eating veg, they wouldn't be able to take a step without being scared of stepping on an ant.

I'd they'd have to accept the fact that their own childs life is no more important than that of cockroach.

Empathy makes us human. It's not a bad thing to put a value on life. It's a good thing.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    So to clarify, there is no non-human life form on earth that you would be prepared to save from extinction over the life of one stranger? :confused:
  • Options
    there are some pretty extreme views on this thread. Both sides!
  • Options
    A childs life is more valuable than that of an adult

Why do you think that?
  • Options
    As the man in my av once sagely said:

"We gotta come to some new ideas about life folks ok? I'm not being blase about abortion, it might be a real issue, it might not, doesn't matter to me. What matters is that if you believe in the sanctity of life then you believe it for life of all ages. That's what I hate about this child-worship syndrome going on. "Save the children! They're killing children! How many children were at Waco? They're killing children!" What does that mean? They reach a certain age and they're off your fucking love-list? Fuck your children, if that's the way you think then fuck you too. You either love all people of all ages or you shut the fuck up."
  • Options
    As the man in my av once sagely said:

"We gotta come to some new ideas about life folks ok? I'm not being blase about abortion, it might be a real issue, it might not, doesn't matter to me. What matters is that if you believe in the sanctity of life then you believe it for life of all ages. That's what I hate about this child-worship syndrome going on. "Save the children! They're killing children! How many children were at Waco? They're killing children!" What does that mean? They reach a certain age and they're off your fucking love-list? Fuck your children, if that's the way you think then fuck you too. You either love all people of all ages or you shut the fuck up."

Strongly agree.
  • Options
    "We gotta come to some new ideas about life folks ok? ..... What matters is that if you believe in the sanctity of life then you believe it for life of all ages. That's what I hate about this child-worship syndrome going on. ... What does that mean? They reach a certain age and they're off your fucking love-list? Fuck your children, if that's the way you think then fuck you too. You either love all people of all ages or you shut the fuck up."

:yes: :yes: :yes:
  • Options
    That quote's awesome. I totally agree too. In fact, in many cases I would say that adult life is more valuable than a child's life, depending on the context.

For example, I think murdering say, a 20 year old is morally speaking worse than murdering a newborn baby. That's not to say I'm arguing for infanticide; just that it's not as bad as killing someone who has a sense of their own identity and an understanding of themselves as a being with a future and with projects and goals.

I can see no reason to think children's lives are more valuable than those of adults.
  • Options
    i think children and adults are just as important in general.

Although my own children are more important than any of you
  • Options
    I'm sorry to say this but my cats would probably be more important to me (life-saving wise) than some people.
  • Options
    There is no person I would save if it ment killing another animal.
    X
  • Options
    X

Thats because youve never had anyone youve loved
  • Options
    Likewise that stranger could go on to discover the cure for cancer. Your saying it's not worth saving a strangers life because they because they may be bad people? I'm sorry but I don't think you've thought this argument through.

That's a stupid thing to say and you may beleive it, but I don't.

Well by stepping on that little ant your helping them on their way. :D

First of all, I don't care if they discoverd the cure for cancer. They would of tested on animals to do so.

I would not put people before "everything else" we are a disgusting race of iggnorent wankers. Look what we have done to the world! You and I included.

Also, about the ant, you wouldn't be helping him on his way. He or she wouldn't of forfilled their life or do good deeds, therefore would be unable to achive what they may of achived with another day of life.
    X
  • Options
    Thats because youve never had anyone youve loved

Yes, I have. And I still do love him. But I wouldn't kill for him, I wouldn't harm something someone else may love, for him. Because that would hurt more people.
    X
  • Options
    then you dont love him
  • Options
    Oh, trust me I do. He is the one thing that's kept me alive these past years. You can not doubt my love for something, just because I wouldn't harm somebody elses love.
    X
  • Options
    X

You're walking through a park and you come across two ponds. In one pond is an eight-year-old child drowning. In the other is a cat drowning. You only have time to save one. Do you choose the cat?