Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Ultrasonic teen repellent

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Discrimination is normally not seen as a bad thing as long as it goes against the status quo. So pro male, pro ethnic minority, anti-youth etc. It's not fair in my mind but it still exists. Just last week I received another invitation for a careers internship seminar - except it was ethnic minorities only.

I will almost immediately be called down on this, but it's plain as day that organisations do regularly discriminate against those who typically suffer less prejudice & difficulty in society.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Discrimination is normally not seen as a bad thing as long as it goes against the status quo. So pro male, pro ethnic minority, anti-youth etc. It's not fair in my mind but it still exists. Just last week I received another invitation for a careers internship seminar - except it was ethnic minorities only.

Define ethnic minority though. You could quite easily come up with something. My grandparents were from Poland and Ireland, so I'm as much an ethnic minority as anyone browner than desert sands on the Dulux colour chart.
  • Options
    Define ethnic minority though. You could quite easily come up with something. My grandparents were from Poland and Ireland, so I'm as much an ethnic minority as anyone browner than desert sands on the Dulux colour chart.

exactly which is why i oppose all US style 'affirmative action' since it's discriminating against someone for no reason still when there's plenty of males/whites who need help too

everyone who needs help in the education should get it really and to quote the telegraph
    Boys from low-income white families are bottom of the heap in school performance, trailing behind every other major ethnic group.
  • Options

I'm half Irish I guess...
    So if you want to find out more about the fascinating, exciting and rewarding careers in this sector and are interested in shaping the towns and cities we live in across Europe, then here's your chance!
    Date: 13 March 2008
    Sponsors: Atisreal, Cushman & Wakefield, DTZ
    Who's eligible: ethnic minority students from any
    degree discipline with the right to work in the UK.

There's a whole host of others meetings, seminars and such in my inbox for overseas students though. I guess it's because they pay more?
  • Options
    Crime and age are linked very strongly where crime and race is not.

How are they linked? I mean, black people make up less than 3% of the prison population yet 11% of the prison population are made up of blacks. Should we discriminate against blacks now?

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/STATBASE/ssdataset.asp?vlnk=7363
  • Options
    The only way crime and age are linked is that criminals have an age.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    How are they linked? I mean, black people make up less than 3% of the prison population yet 11% of the prison population are made up of blacks. Should we discriminate against blacks now?

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/STATBASE/ssdataset.asp?vlnk=7363

I'd be intrested in the answer to this. Go on then Matt? Explain why being young is related to crime?
    Weekender Offender