Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Ultrasonic teen repellent

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Of course i can, but race was not the issue and by making an issue of it you're opening a larger can of worms, if you want to do that fine but you will be on a slippery slope to no where.
    I'm just pointing out the hypocracy of your position. You think it's acceptable to discriminate against age, but not against race. Unless you do think it's acceptable to discriminate against age that is?
    You're wrong, they're designed to stop yobs from hanging around by shops, it just so happens young people up to my age can hear it too when they walk in the shop.
    How is that different from what I said? It's designed to stop young people from gathering, and as such, is used against innocent young people who wouldn't be causing a nuisance. It is by definition designed for use against innocent people, because it is only effective before any anti-social behaviour begins. No-one's going to leave an already confrontational situation as a result of this device.
  • Options
    Look, this device CAN NOT discriminate against colour ONLY age, fact.

Yobs come from ALL races, fact.

Yet you're bringing the issue of race into this when it is NOT REQUIRED.

It's called an analogy, we could replace race by hair colour or sex or whatever you want. Again, why is it ok to discriminate against age but not against race?
  • Options
    Two reasons.

For the rights of residents saftey.

and

We havn't invented a device that can examine an individual and give a positive ID on their intentions.

so in hackney, a device i invent device only gets rid of black people who statistically are more likely to be involvedin crime there even if most of the black people aren't doing anything wrong

is that okay because of resident's safety?
  • Options
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    You're using the arguement of race because it is more of a sensitive issue for better effect.

This is side stepping the real issue which is public saftey. With this device the saftey of residents is increased if it is used around an area like a shop that is prone to damage or violence.

To answer your question, it probably wouldn't be ok, because as i said race is a more sensitive issue, realistically making the point you're trying to make is not relevant to the issue at hand.

I think your still failing to grasp the anology, either that or your playing dumb to avoid the question. http://everything2.com/index.pl?node=Analogy

You proposing limiting freedom of movement based on age because a minority of youths cause trouble. How is that any better than limiting freedom of movement based on race? Why is one OK and the other not?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    You're using the arguement of race because it is more of a sensitive issue for better effect.

This race issue is being used to highlight your hypocracy.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Ah. Splendid!! Finally something that makes us keep unwanted people away from public locations. Why don't someone invent a biological agent that causes nausea for young people as well? I mean, they've alrady have an excellent start, why stop now? Or why stop with young people. Let's make a list containing all the traits we don't like about different people, then invent measures to prevent these people to walk about freely.
  • Options
    Lets just fit little electric shock gadgets under the skin of all kids when they're born. And then give all oldies little remotes for them.

That'll make my gran happy. :rolleyes:
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    What's really bad, is the fact that something like that probably has been proposed for real.

I do know that a gps unit that can be surgically placed under the skin has been invented for use on young people for making their parents feel safer, " knowing that their children don't go to dangerous locations ".
  • Options
    Why stop with letting youths go on remand, we should set up some deck chairs and give them an assortment of knives outside shops to threaten them with or maybe special bricks designed to break windows harder. ORRRRR even better lets invite them into our homes because we have to go the shop at some point we might as well get it over with now. or how about giving them the ecstacy tablets to take and weed to smoke! yes! great! what an achievement.

Are all young people neds wanting to rob shop-owners, being high on ecstacy? etcetera, etcetera....
    By all means, punish the ones who actually do these kind of things, but that's no excuse whatsoever to install devices that affects everyone in a certain group (in this case young people).
  • Options
    In hotspots it is a majority that cause trouble. Are you thick?

Is it? I'll think you'll find that anywhere the majority of kids do break the law. It doesn't matter anyway. Your prepared to take away the right of those who've done nothing wrong in order to make you feel safer. That's fucked up.
    because it's a sensitive subject! Discriminating by race will cause far more problems than discriminating by age. Discriminating by age is far more acceptable and equal.

Of course it's a sensative subject. Racism is descrimination based on skin colour and it's wrong, just because agism is more 'accepted' doesn't make it any mroe right or 'equal' whatever that means.

And what extra problems will descrination by race cause?

Haha MY hypocracy!? I see no hypocracy here.

Yes though it's obvious you still don't grasp the anology .
    So when you were younger and distrubed people that had NO CHOICE in the matter your attitude is FUCK THEM OLD MOANING CUNTS and now you're talking MORALS of what's right and wrong about moving youths from outside a shop?

I don't know what you mean by distrubed? If you mean distrubed by hanging around public places, dossing around in the streets because we had noting else to then yes fuck em. Until I commit a crime, until I keep somebody awake through constant noise than yes fuck em - who the fuck are they to tell me to move on. Why should I have been punished for doing nothing wrong?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Why stop with letting youths go on remand, we should set up some deck chairs and give them an assortment of knives outside shops to threaten them with or maybe special bricks designed to break windows harder. ORRRRR even better lets invite them into our homes because we have to go the shop at some point we might as well get it over with now. or how about giving them the ecstacy tablets to take and weed to smoke! yes! great! what an achievement.

I'm all up for punishing those that are actaully anti social but this box punishes ALL youths before they've done anything wrong.

You belief that's it's only bad kids that doss around outside in public areas is rubbish.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Is the box on all the time or can it be controlled?

Why is that an issue?

It's aimed to to keep young people away all the time and prevent trouble. It's not to disperse kids once trouble has started - that wouldn't work, certainly wouldn't be as effective as an old bill car.

And surely it'll just move troublesome kids somewhere else.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Can be controlled, but it's not all that bad anyway. It just makes you hear a very slight high pitched noise, a lot like when your ears pop and makes you feel strange. Like hearing a loud noise without hearing it.

:yes: most people my age have this as a ringtone, I know people that will walk through school corridors playing that sound, and it's not that bad; though it could be annoying if you were subjected to it for a long time
  • Options
    Have you been reading anything here? t's not aimed at keeping young people away all the time. People can still use the shops or the area and it can be turned off, it just stops yobs congregating there and i say yobs because most normal youths don't hang around shops for a prolonged period of time.

Moving the kids elsewhere is the whole fucking idea.

I hang around outside shops usually waiting for a friend. My friends hang around outside shops smoking. We aren't yobs.

Young people standing outside a shop on a street does not automatically equal yobs. This kind of ultrasonic system is used in gardens to ward of pests. I find it pretty disgraceful that the same is happening to people's children and young adults. Whoever installs this device is not respecting an intergral part of society. It is ridiculous.
  • Options
    Take away what right?

Freedom of movement. A basic human right.
    You still don't get it. These people had rights as well. You said "fuck them", they had no choice in the matter and had to put up with you. So it's ok for you to say fuck them, they should be in the ground.

They have got rights, agreed. They have the right to protection from threating/violent behaviour and criminal activity.
    However they don't have the right to move poeple along just because they don't like them being there which is what you're propoising. When that happens the rights of the people being moved on are violated.

When kids are causing trouble I'm all up for moving them on.

You understand the black anology yet?
    What's the difference in descrimination against race and the descrimination against age? Why is one OK and not the other? Why is agesim more accepted in society and do you think it should be?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Hot spots for what..crime? Crime gets committed by all age groups. Young people are big consumers. Surely using this device is gonna turn quite a bit of your business away? Also what better way to welcome a frequent young customer with this noise in their ears!
  • Options
    Of course, which is why it should only be used when needed and in hotspots.

The products used to move away unwanted groups of teenagers - as advertised by the manafacturers. This is despite the fact they may not have done anything wrong. Anybody can buy it and put it up anywhere.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    In hotspots it is a majority that cause trouble. Are you thick? because it's a sensitive subject! Discriminating by race will cause far more problems than discriminating by age. Discriminating by age is far more acceptable and equal.

Right, so go back a 100 years and you'd be all for the deterrent that only worked on black people because back then it was far more acceptable?

And as said, all you're doing is moving the minority of troublemakers to a different area whilst affecting the majority of people who are law abiding. But of course since they're not in YOUR area anymore, then who gives a fuck? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    No, hotspots for Anti Social behaviour. No it doesn't because it's not even that bad, as one poster just said, they all play it in school on their mobiles, it just gets annoying after a while.

Think of it this way, now normal young people don't fear going to their local shop at night because they know the local dickheads don't hang around there anymore.

Yeah and another poster on here says she finds the noise extremely irritating to her ears. By normal young people I'm assuming you mean the ones who don't cause trouble yadayada but then the system doesn't distinguish between those that cause trouble and those that don't. It affects all so no I don't think you will find ANY young people going into that sweet shop.

Would you still be argueing your point if it was restricted to affect black people in some miraculous way? I know you think that racism is a more 'sensitive' issue but ageism is equally a prejudice.
  • Options
  • Options
    That is one example. I've watched a video excerpt where the young people find the noise particularly annoying and now the devices have been taken down because of it.

Again we go back to the black people thing because can you really distinguish between racism and ageism? Both are examples of prejudice so why is ageism acceptable and racism not??
  • Options
    Sorry to throw another question at you but whyy 17??
  • Options
    We don't have to, it only effects age.
    You're actually getting on my nerves right now.

WHY is ageism more acceptable than racism? I don't understand how you can fail to see the comparison in this analogy.
  • Options
  • Options
    We don't have to, it only effects age.

Yes but using this device is ageist. It discriminates because of age right? You can't argue with that really! I'm guessing from your avoidance of this topic is that you would have a problem with black people being the demograph yet you don't have a problem with young people being the demograph. So...ageism...racism..?? Are they not both forms of prejudices??
  • Options
    Matt answer this.

What's the difference in descrimination against race and the descrimination against age? Why is one OK and not the other? Why is agesim more accepted in society and do you think it should be?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
  • Options
    If you want my opinions on ageism vs racism then start a new thread. It's totally irrelevant to the use of these devices on yobs.

Of course it is. The whole issue is about descrimination.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    If you're failing to see why we are using this as an example then there is no hope.