Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Ultrasonic teen repellent

Comments

• Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Jesus!
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The device is built to discriminate against young people, not races. The question is irrelevant because of this.

It is discrimination. Why is one form of discrimination such as ageism okay whereas another form of discrimination (here take your pick) not?

I know you won't answer so I do wonder why I am still debating
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    Jesus!
    I concur :banghead:.
  • Options
  • Options
    Against age, not race.

Simply.

What's the difference why is one ok and the other not?
    It is a COMPLETELY different subject and while you CAN debate on that subject and link it to this. The device only discriminates against AGE and therefore it is only relevant to AGE.

The core of the issue is descrimination. Why is it ok to descriminate against age but not race. Answer it properly and I'll spell descrimination properly.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    The situation of using this device does not require anyone to address the issue of ageism and racism.

It requires you to address the issue of descrimination.
    The fact that i still haven't even thought about the issues with such a question shows how irrelevant it is.

I think it shows something else.
    There's no need for such a question to be addressed and i don't see why it is needed apart from a forum torch hunt to make something of it.

Humour me then even if you don't think it important. Why is agism ok and racism not? What's the difference. Answer it ffs.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
  • Options
    A possible solution is to educate society that young people are not monsters and they are entitled to freedom of speech and movement as much as anyone else. Also that just because they don't like something doesn't mean that other people's rights should be curtailed. That's what I'd do.

:thumb: zactly
  • Options
  • Options
    What do you exactly mean by the word yob???
  • Options
    Why don't you answer it?

I wish I had a pound for every time you whined the inevitable, "Why is one ok and the other not ok" It's become BORINGLY predictable and frankly, I'm sick of it, because it fails to provide any solution on how to proceed, here and now.

So, let me ask you, do you have an alternative solution on how to proceed from here? If so, by all means, say it. If you don't, shut the fuck up, you're argument has gotten rather monotonous and more importantly, counter-productive.

We have, and the answer is it's not acceptable, either ageism or racism. Yet you think somehow it's ok because more people tolerate ageism.

What is boring and more than a tad exasperating is you failing to see the relevance of the question.

As for what to do, more police presence on the streets where there si known to be trouble, or more education, or etc. etc.
  • Options
    Matt if my post have got monotonous it's for one reason only.

You're the only one that doesn't seem to be able to grasp the simple fact that agism and racism are related, and that one is no worse or better than the other. There I've answered it, now you have a go at explaining why YOU think one is acceptable and the other not?

If not answer this, much easier question.
    Are you stupid or are you avoiding the question?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options

Take my local area for example, most of the blacks that hang around the shops and a long the streets are really up to no good, i mean, they have done a lot of shit, like murder, theft, even dropping a brick on my Nans head. The police are doing a lot to combat this and have set up certain roads where they have the power to move groups of blacks on, regardless if they are innocent, they must move, which is fine because there is a lot of trouble here and more groups, innocent or not, cause more problems.

Now read that and tell me if you think that is acceptable.

posted by matt
    The problem is, instead of looking at the base facts, you're taking a political stance on it and questioning the fact that on paper it says "discrimination". This is not so high up and off the planet that we need to have a huge discussion about how this device is wrong and how the question of "would you think it is ok if it was against race".

Agesim, basic human rights, and descrimination isn't worth a political discussion? Are you serious?
    The race anology is perfect for highlight your hypocracy - a fact prooven by you inability or refusal to answer some very simple questions
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
  • Options
    Such a hypothetical situation would never arise since there is no place where 100% of white youths are innocent and 100% of black youths are yobs.

We have a real situation in some areas of the country where young blacks are responisble for a disproportionate amount of crime i.e young blacks are commiting more crime than young whites. In the same way youths are being more anti social than the older generation. So to combat this would a curfew in these areas aimed soley against young blacks be acceptable?

It's not hypothetical it's a real issue very much relevant to this one.
    But as i've said before probably not since it would cause a lot of problems with people feeling like there is a hate against black people and i don't think ageism is as big an agenda for people as discrimination of race.

What do YOU think? Is agesim less important? If so why?
    What i'm trying to say, i believe it is ok to discriminate against youths with this device because there is a good enough reason and because it can be targeted towards individual groups of yobs as well as the fact that the disturbance to normal customers is minimal.

And I take it therefore that you think statistics to proove that in some areas blacks are responsible for a lot of crime would justify discrimination by race. the reason is the same after all.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Don't you see what i'm saying? I only know about round here, leave it to someone else to make that decision. It works here and people are happier because of it. all i can say is it has worked here and other customers to the shop at times being able to hear it as well is a small price to pay for safety.

Again you avoiding the anology.
    Either it acceptable or it's not. Which is it?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I already told you though.... is there a point to this? What are you trying to achieve?

It's like pulling teeth.

You said...
    But as i've said before probably not since it would cause a lot of problems with people feeling like there is a hate against black people and i don't think ageism is as big an agenda for people as discrimination of race.

I asked what YOU think? Should it IN YOUR OPINION, be as big an agenda? If not why not?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    What are you trying to achieve?

I'm trying to get a simple answer from a simple question. Maybe I've been unclear - this is as simple as I can put it.

You thinks it's acceptable to discriminate against all youths in an area where most of the anti social behavoiur is committed by youths.

So by that logic you must think that it's acceptable to discriminate against all blacks in an area where the majority of crime is commited by blacks?

Yes or no?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    IRead the bit that said "i don't think......." you absolute fucking DUMBASS

That wasn't an answer. I didn't ask what you think other people think.

Is ageism as important as racism? IN YOUR OPINION.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    This thread has deteriorated, sorry people..
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Yeah, as per usual MattLiverpool has destroyed a thread by making statements then refusing to back his claim up and refusing to answer questions related to the thread hence destroying his credibility.
  • Options
    Matt/Whowhere... you know that white noise like this actually constitutes torture, don't you?
  • Options
    The claim that it's okay to be ageist becuase it's different to racism... you still haven't explain why it is different.
  • Options
    No i don't, but at the end of the day it's really not that bad at all, this is why i'm trying to keep things realistic, because on paper you can say something like "it's torture" but really, it's not, especially since they can move.

I think it's torture people actually have to live with these fucking retards on street corners drinking just because it infringes rights. That's why so many people go free for crimes.

So, okay to torture my kids because of something which another kid has done?

It doesn't matter how short the torture is, it is still torture of an innocent.
  • Options
    Eh? What claim was this? If anything i've tried to keep it on topic.

Well you're answering every point on the thread except for the simple yes/no question that Skive and others have asked you repeatedly throughout. I wouldn't consider that to be on topic, more dodging the issue.
  • Options
    But as i've said before probably not since it would cause a lot of problems with people feeling like there is a hate against black people.

Again, how does that problem not apply to young people too? How can you be concerned that it will cause feeling that there is hate against black people, and not have the same concern about a feeling that there is hate against young people?

And let's assume that such devices are successful in moving crime away from certain areas, won't the increased disillusionment of young people because of the discriminationory nature of such devices create more problems overall?
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    :lol: I thought many arguments on here were pathetic, and then I saw Matt in this thread... "Pathetic" has a whole new meaning.
  • Options
    Matt/Whowhere... you know that white noise like this actually constitutes torture, don't you?

If the kids were tied down and forced to listen to it, then yes it's torture.
    Having the choice to hang around outside somebody's house, or having the choice to simply walk away turns it from torture to merely irritating.

That said, I'll stand by and say putting it outside a shop or bus stop is wrong. Putting it outside somebody's house, who have had their lives blighted by idiots is not.

I'd prefer it that the police turned up everytime, on time and caught the people responsible for whatever, every time. Unfortunately it isn't going to happen, so anything that gives someone a brief respite is welcome. Yes it might cause the problem to move somewhere else, and nowhere have I hailed this device as the saviour of morality, it's simply a tool that helps ordinary people, who are at the end of their tether get a break from it all.
    It's not perfect, I admit that completely, and there's no chance that i'd like to see them used everywhere. But used sensibly, against the people who are causing the problem I don't see the harm.

And lets face it, if you turn it on at 11pm on a Thursday night, you won't be affecting good little Johnny, who'll be tucked up in bed. You'll be affecting the people who like to drink beer and chuck cans at your house.
  • Options
    To be fair Matt - it's worth being reasonable with the other people in a debate. Everyone has their own opinion - and no one here is claiming they want people to be attacked - they just have different views on how the issues involved should be challenged.

That we're all free to have our own opinion is something we should be proud of, not something that should make you feel sick and equally other people shouldn't feel your views are pathetic.
  • Options
    You refusing to answer the analogy about racism/ageism, saying what we are talking about is only about ageism, which is ok by you, is like saying in a debate about fox huting that talk about hunting of any type of animal is not relevant to the discussion because we are only talking about foxes.