Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Ultrasonic teen repellent

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I really do not understand your method on debating. How is posting a picture of a bloke with blood all over his face going to add to your arguement? Yes it's sad. Yes people do get beaten up. I think everyone realises this. I'm assuming it's a sensitive issue because of your nan and so that is why I am giving up debating with you. Just think it's a shame you've been induced into throwing the word 'yob' around because as your PM suggests you are unsure exactly what it means and when to use it.
  • Options
    One of the reasons i will not answer is the reason you're asking. Which has nothing to do with the subject and everything to do with attacking me.
    If you can't see the difference between attacking your argument and attacking you then there's no hope. And your unwillingness to defend your argument means there's obviously nothing of substance to defend.
  • Options
    What do you call an anti-social black person?
    An anti-social old person?
    An anti-social asian person?
    An anti-social gay person?
    An anti-social wheel-chair user?
    An anti-social mother?

I really am interested. These sorts of people must exist and so far I have just heard the words 'yob' and 'hooligan' in reference to young people. Oh yeah...cuz ageism against the yoooofs of today is alright :yeees:
  • Options
    Bingo.

Maybe people should stop attempting to demonise young PEOPLE by inventing stupid blanket terms such as 'yob' and attempt at finding the cause of the behaviour being committed. Teenagers are a fully functioning part of society. Some work in those shops to keep it open. Some have jobs and pay taxes to keep the shop open. Some purchase good there..to keep the shop open. You get the idea. Why should someone who contributes to society be treated like a pest?

Look at the name 'teen repellent'. Message going out there to young people:
    We want to REPEL you
    We don't want you

And what a respectful way to physically carry out this message by blasting their ear-drums with this ultrasonic noise. Now if it were targetting any other group apart from young people then others would be up in arms. But it's okay because too many people in this country prefer to rely on their own unfounded prejudices than deal with facts. :thumb:
  • Options
    I am defending my arguement, but i don't need to answer your specific question(even though i have in fact already answered it) for the reasons stated above.

Because the honest answer would reveal your position as hypocritical, which you've done a great job of proving by refusing to answer it anyway.
  • Options
    Question to all those who think that this device should not be used. Let's say that a similar device was created in order to chase away the elderly, for example. Would you still oppose it? Or are you just thinking of no one but yourselves, as usual?
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Question to all those who think that this device should not be used. Let's say that a similar device was created in order to chase away the elderly, for example. Would you still oppose it? Or are you just thinking of no one but yourselves, as usual?
    You have a very warped view of people, sg. Why would we want to chase away the elderly?
  • Options
    Question to all those who think that this device should not be used. Let's say that a similar device was created in order to chase away the elderly, for example. Would you still oppose it?

Yes, because it's equally ridiculous and ageist.

It's clear MattLiverpool is going to continue his bumbling politician act and avoid the simple question. Perhaps WhoWhere can take it from here?
  • Options

eh??? I don't want to chase any old people. Jeeeeez
  • Options
    No one is demonizing young people. We are recognising the need for a device to protect our communities. You're making the msitake of not recognising the difference between yobs and youths..

No the device is making the mistake.

Therefore it is a mistake
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    You have a very warped view of people, sg. Why would we want to chase away the elderly?
    The elderly was just an example. What I'm trying to say is - if these ultrasonic devices were aimed at scaring away another group of people, would you still be against it? Let's try another one - what if we put devices such as these outside chip shops to deter obese people - what would you say then?
  • Options
    Take a look at the picture of the victim again. That is the cost of not moving a few teens from a shop. If we can prevent thata few times, it is well worth the distrubance to a few teens.
    Absolutely. The vast majority of teenagers, who abide by the law, have nothing to worry about. They're not the ones who are going to be congregating outside shops causing trouble, are they?
  • Options
    The elderly was just an example. What I'm trying to say is - if these ultrasonic devices were aimed at scaring away another group of people, would you still be against it? Let's try another one - what if we put devices such as these outside chip shops to deter obese people - what would you say then?

Lol you have the wrong end of the stick.

Yeah I'm all for setting up those devices to scare away the fatties!!

:rolleyes: I mean c'mon!!

The comment about us only thinking and ourselves was rather rude and unnecessary by the way SG
  • Options
    Take a look at the picture of the victim again. That is the cost of not moving a few teens from a shop. If we can prevent thata few times, it is well worth the distrubance to a few teens.

And again i could post up a picture of some granny beaten up by black non-teen muggers in brixton and say:

"Take a look at the picture of the victim again. That is the cost of not moving a few black people from a shop. If we can prevent thata few times, it is well worth the distrubance to a few black people."
  • Options

I would say it's just as bad because it's discriminating against a huge group of people. Nobody should be trying to deter anyone from a public place because, as Rachael said, it's saying that nobody wants them there and that creates even more problems.

You're just trying to pick an argument, and a pointless one because nobody is that stupid, and trying to insinuate that we're only against this because we happen to be in the demographic that are being affected is incredibly insulting and rude.
  • Options

Any device selectively made to ward off a certain group of people i'd object to as well. What a odd view you have on things.
  • Options
    The elderly was just an example. What I'm trying to say is - if these ultrasonic devices were aimed at scaring away another group of people, would you still be against it?

And that's the question we've been asking Matt for the past several pages, and he's done nothing but dodge it and offer half answers. My answer would be no, of course, otherwise why would I bring it up?
  • Options

No one's breaking the law when entering a chippy - fatty or otherwise.

Matt: I understand you're incensed at gangs of young people beating up folk, but it's no more common - or any different - than, say, fights on a Saturday night after pub closing. I think a fair comparison would be you or I swaying out of a pub on a Friday night only to have a police officer continuously poke you in the head, regardless of what you were doing, until you'd got at least two streets away.
  • Options
    Is this a joke?

"I've already answered it lol. It doesn't make a difference if someone is black white or whatever, it's just that the common ground all these yobs have is that they are about 13-19.

The only thing i said is that distinguishing people on race (which is irrelevant because there is no such scenario) would create more obstacles in communities. This device is made to BENEFIT communities and i would not deploy it if it discriminated against race because it would not BENEFIT the community, understand? Where as against age it DOES. That is why it is not relevant. It's a hypothetical situation.

Right okay then, an absolutely real life alternative. Do you support extra security measures at airports and other forms of public transport aimed only at people of middle-eastern origin? So for example, all the black and white people can go about their business, but asian people have to have their bags scanned, for example?
  • Options
    What would that mean? I don't see the point you're trying to make.

Just forget it, i give up on you in this thread, it's a lost cause...
  • Options
    It's not anyone, it's yobs and the device can be targeted. In places where anti social behaviour is rife, drinking and violence, it is proven to be effective and help prevent intimidation/assult.
    Are you really that stupid or are you just pretending to get a reaction?
  • Options
    Drinking and violence is not just carried out by 'yobs'.

You know perfectly well Maladjusted's point.
  • Options
    The comment about us only thinking and ourselves was rather rude and unnecessary by the way SG
    Disagree. Take a look at the number of responses to this thread. When threads directly concern users on this board, there are always a ton of responses. And why? Because people are thinking of number one, as per usual.

Few of you spare a thought for those who suffer because of this mindless filth. Why on earth should an owner of a shop have to live and work in fear just because of some teenagers standing outside his place of business? Why on earth should anyone have to put up with verbal and physical abuse for simply trying to go about their daily lives?

What most of you seem to be missing - deliberately, I suspect - is the fact that most teenagers have absolutely nothing to worry about. They don't spend their time lingering outside shops, waiting to beat someone up at random. If you walk past one of these, you're unlikely to hear much at all. You've got to put up with it for several minutes before it takes an effect.
  • Options
    Does this question have a purpose that would benefit the discussion? Where are you going with it?

Well you complained that the black example was just a hypothetical example that would result in no real benefit, so I'm giving you a dilemma that is a real life one instead, that would have the same "benefits" as these mosquito devices, albiet for a different crime.
  • Options
    Why narrow it down so much? i somehow doubt all kids know each other and yet you are happy to affect all of them.

So a device which worked the same way but only on drunk people outside a pub should be fine then.
  • Options
    Ok, well i wouldn't implement that idea because such a small amount of middle eastern people at airports are carry devices for terrorism where as there is a high percentage of youths in my area who are yobs and a very high percentage that gather around local corner shops.

So as soon as it gets past a certain number of crimes it's okay to discriminate, is essentially what you're saying?
  • Options
    And then you continue to protest when people bring up the race analogy...

The very same argument you are putting forward could be used to justify imposing a curfew on black people in Brixton.
  • Options
  • Options
    Yes, but it's more about people's rights to feel safe in their community rather than race. It's ok to discriminate against age because we do not find people voer the age of 25 hanging around outside shops and it's ok to discriminate because normal peoples rights are being discriminated against by having yobs being allowed to cause so much trouble.

The small price we have to pay is having innocent youths feel a little irritated while the device is on when walking into a shop, which includes me because it effects me when i'm near it.

A small price to pay when i think about my nan walking home at night.

Oh dear. :(

You don't half talk some shite you know that?
  • Options
    What makes you say that?

Just your general shitty attitude towards young people and the contradictions in your posts.