Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Ultrasonic teen repellent

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    As long as there is a GOOD ENOUGH reason to discriminate then it is FINE.

So what is a "good enough" reason to treat innocent people as if they are guilty?
  • Options
    As long as there is a GOOD ENOUGH reason to discriminate then it is FINE.

Twat. :banghead:
  • Options
    fuck me, that went right through me and I am old(ish for here anyway) If I were walking along and that noise were pissing me off, I'd be more than a little tempted to smash the box, it is painful, not just annoying and I imagine it would be hellish for a younger child or baby.
  • Options
  • Options
    can you hear it Jim?
  • Options
    i can't here that one - though I can hear some on here -

http://www.freemosquitoringtone.org/

However I have been suitably twatted by everyone in the office who can hear it who are all very pissed off with me now :)
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    fuck me, that went right through me and I am old(ish for here anyway) If I were walking along and that noise were pissing me off, I'd be more than a little tempted to smash the box, it is painful, not just annoying and I imagine it would be hellish for a younger child or baby.

Indeed, i'm the same and about to turn 26...
  • Options
    It hurts!
  • Options
    what would be quite amusing, in a painful way, would be if the deaf/ hard of hearing community decided that loitering hearing persons were intimidating trouble makers and distributed noise makers countrywide. Or is that just funny in my head?
  • Options
    Ya know what...it's political correctness gone mad!

alan_partridge.jpg
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Ballerina wrote: »
    It hurts!
    Yeah, it does. I played the mp3 the other day and just now again, and it makes my left ear hurt even when it's stopped...
    And that was just for a couple of seconds.
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    In some areas they are.

Why is it wrong to discriminate by Whowhere?

Race and ethnicity have NOTHING whatsoever to do with criminality. The last person who thought all people of a specific race were criminals ended up shooting himself in the head in a concrete bunker.

There are a myriad of factors that determine if someone will commit a crime. Race is not one of them.
  • Options
    They should make a version of the box that does "brown noise" instead, that would keep anyone away from your house!! :p:lol:
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Race is not one of them.

But neither is age?

It's not like someone who's committing crimes now will all of a sudden hit 25 and start not committing them anymore.
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    But neither is age?

It's not like someone who's committing crimes now will all of a sudden hit 25 and start not committing them anymore.

No, that doesn't happen. But people have to start somewhere, and it's rarely at 25. The vast majority of older criminals started committing minor offences when they were in their early teens. Some stopped, others continued when they got older.
  • Options
    The vast majority of older criminals started committing minor offences when they were in their early teens. Some stopped, others continued when they got older.

Source on that? Your personal experience isn't counted as a source, by the way.
  • Options
    Race and ethnicity have NOTHING whatsoever to do with criminality. The last person who thought all people of a specific race were criminals ended up shooting himself in the head in a concrete bunker.

There are a myriad of factors that determine if someone will commit a crime. Race is not one of them.

Neither is age.
  • Options
    That's not what's happening.

But yes there is a good enough reason to use the device.

You know, I have to steer clear of personal insult otherwise I get a PM from Jim, but man you are so fucking stupid sometimes.

That is exactly what happens. This device doesn't just work on people who are committing crimes, it works on anyone within the age range. It isn't prompted by people causing damage, it's used on people hanging around because they might cause damage.

It's entire reason for being is to be used against a sector of population without regard for actions.

That is discrimination of the worst kind.
  • Options
    You don't understand discrimination ro you're just plain thick.

THis is the way discrimination works in our country for good reasons.

I don't understand discrimination? That's rich coming from you.
  • Options
    Race and ethnicity have NOTHING whatsoever to do with criminality.

And age does?

The majority of teen murders in London are by black youths on black youths...should we discriminate against black teens in London? What about white males? They of course are most like to be involved in child paedophilia. Fuck it, just disciminate everyone cos we're all criminals who want to mug old people...:rolleyes:
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Race and ethnicity have NOTHING whatsoever to do with criminality.

Bingo! Finally!
    Of course it doesn't. Neither does age. Your suggesting that being young does?

Black people have the right not be judged as criminals, as do young people.

It's such a simple concept to grasp and yet here we have somebody that enforces or laws with very little understanding of that concept. That scares me.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    Bingo! Finally!
    Of course it doesn't. Neither does age. Your suggesting that being young does?

Black people have the right not be judged as criminals, as do young people.

It's such a simple concept to grasp and yet here we have somebody that enforces or laws with very little understanding of that concept. That scares me.

Youre assuming that I think all young people are criminals, I assure you I don't! I get on well with the kids/teens I interact with, they repeatedly tell me they like me because I can talk to them like an equal, and i'll only do something to them if they're actually doing something, not because i'm against all kids.
    I've given reasons as to why in some circumstances this device can be used to make someone's life a little better.
    I've not claimed it to be a solution to all of societie's ills, and nor shall I!

And with that, i'll bow out the debate. Adieu :P
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Youre assuming that I think all young people are criminals, I assure you I don't!

Well then, lets not treat them all as criminals.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    lol...just... lol

all this time you obviously haven't a clue what i've we've been trying to tell you.

:eek2:

I actually can't quite believe I just read that.
  • Options
    If there is anyone in this thread who doesn't have a clue, then it certainly isn't Skive, look a bit closer to home and you might have the right answer.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    It's very clear that Matt either a)doesn't have the mental capacity to understand why it's unfair to discriminate in this way or b)he understands it very well and won't to admit it because then he'd have to change sides, doing which he's dead set against.
    My personal opinion is that it's B, but in either case, going on with this "discussion" (which isn't really a discussion, when one or more of the sides is acting like a wall) is completely pointless.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    i can't here that one - though I can hear some on here -

http://www.freemosquitoringtone.org/

However I have been suitably twatted by everyone in the office who can hear it who are all very pissed off with me now :)

I could only hear the 49 & younger one. Well, I couldn't hear it, but I could feel it, very uncomfortable. Could hear the under 50 one though.

God I must have bad hearing.
  • Options
    I can hear them all but the last one and and ouch they do go right through you and if the sounds aren't bad enough the mosquito jumping up and down is quite scary.
  • Options
    I understand FULLY the implications of discrimination. I deal with it EVERY DAY so i understand more than most how it is OK to discriminate depending on the NEED for the discrimination.

It seems discrimination is bogeyword for everyone here and they don't understand what it means.
    I'd say it is you who don't understand what discrimination means.

Why would i change sides? I live with this device on my local shop and i have seen the benefits with my eyes. It is ok to discriminate in this case because there is a good enough reason.
    So if you lived in Brixton you would argue it is okay to discriminate against blacks and impose curfews on them, lest whitey gets mugged on his way home from the tube.

Right?
    This is the way discrimination LAW works, i know this because i work with the civil service on discrimination, that is why i will not back down.
    I fear for the civil service then. You might as well employ Dracula as caretaker of a blood bank...
  • Options
    Each situation has to be weighed up on their merits. Discriminating with this device and discriminating in the way you are talking about is not the same.

If i was dealing with this i would ask;

is it necessary to discriminate in this situation?

Not all youth crime is committed by blacks. Whites of the same age and same background commit also the same crimes.
    But I'm not talking about youth crime by blacks. I'm talking about crime by blacks.

You say that since some youths are known to commit crimes in certain areas it is okay to discriminate against all of them for our safety's sake.

Therefore the same must apply to black people in areas where blacks of all ages are responsible for a majority of crime.

This is something that has been put up to you throughout this thread and which you still refuse to acknowledge.

By approving of discrimination based on age you're also approving of discrimination based on gender, race and others. There are no two ways about it.