Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Ultrasonic teen repellent

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Why should I as a law abiding under 25 year old feel uncomfortable while standing near a shop? The article linked to the sound and it only played for a matter of seconds and that was enough to make me feel uncomfortable.
  • Options
    I have anything but a shitty attitude towards young people, i'm a young person. I don't think i've contradicted myself either, i've set out with the same view i have now.

You said it's ok to discriminate because of age. That's a shitty attitude towards young people. What about homeless drunks lying on the street who give hassle, should they be "moved on"?
    The thign works and good youths are bothered, fi anything they're feeling better because they don't feel afraid to walk the shop anymore.

You make it sound as though every young person hanging outside a shop is looking to cause trouble, and don't come back with this "you don't know where I live or grew up" shite. I grew up in a rough area, if you keep yourself to yourself then you'll be fine.
    People seem to be missing key points which is it can be targeted by using the off switch and only placing them in places with a high amount of violent yob crime.

Which doesn't solve crime but moves it on somewhere else. You're the one who's missing the point.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »

Which doesn't solve crime but moves it on somewhere else. You're the one who's missing the point.

You're absolutely right, however looking at it from another perspective, it prevents someone who has been a victim of crime, becoming a victim again.

At the end of the day, we all look out for number 1. People, for whatever reason lose faith with the police's ability to control the problem or to prevent it.
    They see an advert for a device that discourages youths from hanging around outside, so they buy it.
    Overnight, the youths are no longer there. The last thing on that person's mind will be "I wonder where they went", and they certainly won't be giving a shit about the poor sod who now has to live with them.

People are selfish, and I suspect a few people here, if they'd been having the same problems would be feeling the same way as the hypothetical example above.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    You're absolutely right, however looking at it from another perspective, it prevents someone who has been a victim of crime, becoming a victim again.
    Unless those devices have a 'head explodes within 5 seconds' setting, I can't see how it could protect somebody from becoming a victim.

On the contary, I can visualise youths who are not too pleased about the infernal device putting the windows through of anyone who has it installed on a regular basis as revenge. Can't you?
  • Options
    At the end of the day, we all look out for number 1. People, for whatever reason lose faith with the police's ability to control the problem or to prevent it.
    They see an advert for a device that discourages youths from hanging around outside, so they buy it.
    Overnight, the youths are no longer there. The last thing on that person's mind will be "I wonder where they went", and they certainly won't be giving a shit about the poor sod who now has to live with them.

People are selfish, and I suspect a few people here, if they'd been having the same problems would be feeling the same way as the hypothetical example above.

That's a strange outlook. Not all people are selfish, in fact there's an argument to be made that humans are altruistic beings. The very fact I'm against this and advocate long term solutions to anti-social behaviour will show this.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »

On the contary, I can visualise youths who are not too pleased about the infernal device putting the windows through of anyone who has it installed on a regular basis as revenge. Can't you?

I thought that as well. In my experience of unruly teens, they don't take too kindly to being targetted like this. It probably won't be long till we start hearing about people being targetted themsevles for using these devices.
  • Options
    1GAverySWNS_468x598.jpg

My one year old isn't a yob, neither did she do this to that man.

Why should she be subjected to this noise?

She cannot walk by, because she cannot walk, and as I cannot hear it I can't move her away. If I don't know that there is a problem apart from her distress, how can I affect it? So tell me what she has done which deserves such a punishment?
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Matt.

You thinks it's acceptable to discriminate against all youths in an area where most of the anti social behavoiur is committed by youths.

So by that very same logic you must think that it's acceptable to discriminate against all blacks in an area where the majority of crime is commited by blacks?

No more waffle and bullshit about hypothetical questions. There are areas in the country where a disproportionally high amunt of crime is commited by blacks.

You answer is that the end justifies the means. Why you think that is applicable to age but not to race? Why is ageism OK and Race wrong?

EVERYBODY else understands the question. Either you have a seriously hard time understand such a simple concept or you are dodging the question because you know you lack the ability to answer it properly. Which is it?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Tbh I don't see how it makes anyone 'safer' - the problem just moves elsewhere, it doesn't go away. I don't think that everyone under the age of 25 should be discriminated against because of the acts of some. There is a problem but this isn't the solution.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    Tbh I don't see how it makes anyone 'safer' - the problem just moves elsewhere, it doesn't go away. I don't think that everyone under the age of 25 should be discriminated against because of the acts of some. There is a problem but this isn't the solution.
    Most sense posted in this entire thread :D
  • Options
    lea_uk wrote: »
    Most sense posted in this entire thread :D

What thread have you been reading? Those two points have been made numerous times in the first few pages.
  • Options
    Answer the Q Matt.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Can't be arsed i can't keep up with it, a lot of it is just a repeat pf what's already been said and i'm trying to spruce up to see claire tomorow since it will be our valentines.

It's a repeat of what's been said becauswe you havn't addressed the question that's been repeated a dozen times now. You won't get far in debate if you can't explain why you think what you do?

Again a simple question. Why is agesim OK, and racism wrong?
    I'm gonna go play some Call of Duty 4 later if anyone's up for a game?

I would if my Xbox wasn't with microsoft gettign repaired. :mad:
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »

Again a simple question. Why is agesim OK, and racism wrong?

I get the distinct feeling he is avoiding the question because, quite simply he feels you are all trying to twist it and accuse him of being a racist.

Aladdin, the devices do work very effectively in their limited capacity, in that they cause the youths to stop hanging around near them. Yes, they move on and cause problems elsewhere, which leads me on to Yerascrote.

Yera, I'm not going to post pictures of victims of so called mob-rule, or the results of yobs getting the upper hand over people, you've all seen them. And I agree, that most people are altruistic.
    But, in my day to day duties I talk to all sorts of people who are just like you and me. They aren't all old grumps, they aren't miserable people. They are normal, hardworking people who for whatever reason have started to be targetted in their home.
    What i'm driving at is, yes you can claim to be altruistic and to love your fellow man or whatever, but if push comes to shove, you've been kept a virtual prisoner in your own home for months on end, you've had windows broken, someone has tried to set your home on fire and threatened to kill you, you will do whatever it takes to protect yourself, your family and your property.

If that means installing a box that irritates people then so be it, but that is what people will do, regardless of where the problem will move to.

I'm not going to begin advocating the widespread use of these boxes, or that they come anywhere close to being a long-term solution to the problem as a whole. But, when you've been subjected to some of the shit i've seen people subjected to, you won't give a hoot about long term solutions to a community wide problem. You'll care more about stopping your windows being done in again.
  • Options
    I get the distinct feeling he is avoiding the question because, quite simply he feels you are all trying to twist it and accuse him of being a racist.

I very much doubt it's racism, rather than hypocrisy.
  • Options

Well he's wrong. I'm relying on the hope that he isn't a racist and that he understands why racism is wrong.
    If he can see the wrong in descriminating against skin colour, I'm hoping he can see the wrong in discriminating aginst age.

If he believes that a curfew implemented against blacks even in areas where a disproportionally high amount of crime is commited by blacks is unacceptable how can he believe this is acceptable.

Matt, do you understand why discrimination against race is wrong? Or are you just against it because you don't want to be called a racist?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Whowhere seeing as you also seem to be in favour of these boxes.

Can you explain why it's ok to single out the youth, but not ork to single out race?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    My one year old isn't a yob, neither did she do this to that man.

Why should she be subjected to this noise?

She cannot walk by, because she cannot walk, and as I cannot hear it I can't move her away. If I don't know that there is a problem apart from her distress, how can I affect it? So tell me what she has done which deserves such a punishment?

this is a really good point
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    Whowhere seeing as you also seem to be in favour of these boxes.

Can you explain why it's ok to single out the youth, but not ork to single out race?

Oh for crying out loud, they're not saying it's 'ok'. It's obviously not 'ok'. They're saying that in a lot of areas it is necessary because our government is failing in it's most fundamental duty which is to protect us. If your hypothetical race situation were real then it would be racist. You're trying to connect the negative feelings attached to racism with 'ageism', and it's a flawed analogy because they are not the same thing. They don't carry the same weight. You're just going to have to accept that people do not think that the one is as bad as the other, and they're valid in thinking that because one is indeed worse than the other. This device discriminates on the basis of age alone, which means people of all races in that age range. To discriminate against a race, would mean discriminating against people of all ages within that race. Which is worse. A race is a class of people in its own right, an age group is only ever a subclass of ALL peoples. Race is more fundamental, and it is static, it does not change. I'm not saying that this therefore means that the one kind of discrimination is not 'ok' whereas the other one is, but you all keep going on about it as if they're the same bloody thing, as if they're of the same class, and as if to insinuate that therefore Matt and Whowhere are pretty much, more or less, basically as bad as racists for seeing that this device is by no means desirable, but is in some cases necessary. Althought neither is a good thing, the two are not equivalent.

I don't think these devices should be used, because they are indiscriminate - in the sense that they target the innocent as well as the ones causing the trouble - not because they're 'ageist'. However they shouldn't have to be used in the first place. People shouldn't have to take the law into their own hands like this, because the government should be protecting them, because fathers ought to be with their families and parents ought to teach their kids right from wrong. Your anger should be directed in that direction, not at the people who have been forced to protect themselves. You should understand the fact that they've been pushed into it by the circumstances they find themselves in. Do you think they would actually resort to this if they had a viable alternative?
    this is a really good point

Aye, it is. And what have the people being terrorised by yobs done to deserve the punishment they're getting? They cannot be blamed for thinking about themselves when they've been given no other option but to do so. Atleast you can walk away. If she's distressed are you going to just stand there in the middle of the street? No, you'll move away, and she'll no longer be distressed. The people being terrorised can't move away, not half as easily anyway.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    My dad was attacked by an Albanian man, a few years ago. There have also been other Albanians who attacked, robbed and even killed people. They're not the majority in any way, but they exist.
    I'd be a total idiot if I even thought that a way to keep Albanians stop standing in a place for too long would be a good idea.
  • Options
    Runnymede wrote: »
    If your hypothetical race situation were real then it would be racist.

It's not hypothetical though. Black people are six times more likely to be stopped than white people, according to Home Office figures. That's a racist policy.
    You're trying to connect the negative feelings attached to racism with 'ageism', and it's a flawed analogy because they are not the same thing.

They're both forms of discrimination. It's a perfect anology for highlighing your hypocracy. I don't see how you can't grasp that.
    They don't carry the same weight.

Not with you. But they should. It's only because people are more afraid of being called a racist.
    You're just going to have to accept that people do not think that the one is as bad as the other

No I don't. What an absurd thing to say.
    they're valid in thinking that because one is indeed worse than the other. This device discriminates on the basis of age alone, which means people of all races in that age range. To discriminate against a race, would mean discriminating against people of all ages within that race. Which is worse. A race is a class of people in its own right, age is only ever a subclass of ALL people. Race is more fundamental, and it is static, it does not change. I'm not saying that this therefore means that the one kind of discrimination is not 'ok' whereas the other one is, but you all keep going on about it as if they're the same bloody thing, as if they're of the same class, and as if to insinuate that therefore Matt and Whowhere are pretty much, more or less, basically as bad as racists for seeing that this device is by no means desirable, but is in some cases necessary. Althought neither is a good thing, the two are not equivalent.

What a load of crap. They are as bad as each other.
    It's only the fact that racism has been such a bigger issue throughout history that you believe it to be worse. Discrimination is discrimination, and it's as bad for everybody at the end of it - whether they be black, young, old, ginger, muslim etc etc.
    Your anger should be directed in that direction, not at the people who have been forced to protect themselves.

No their anger should be directed at the police and appropriate authorites if nothing is being done. It's not for the public to set up devices that target all youths because a minority of them behave badly.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Of course i understand it is wrong, that's why i sad i wouldn't use a device that discriminated against race, it would cause far more problems as well so there would be no benefit.

Do you understand why it is wrong to discriminate by race?

I don't think you do.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    OYou're just going to have to accept that people do not think that the one is as bad as the other, and they're valid in thinking that because one is indeed worse than the other.

Maybe you should ask all of the people in their late 50's who are looking for jobs whether they're as bad as each other. The only difference is that ageism is more likely to be highlighted by the media if old people are the victims, sexism is more likely to be highlighted if women are the victims, and racism is more likely to be highlighted if minority races are the victims. Don't assume that because certain issues are covered more in the media, people care about them more, because anyone with two brain cells to rub together would be just as disapproving of racism against white people, sexism against men and ageism against young people.
  • Options
    if push comes to shove, you've been kept a virtual prisoner in your own home for months on end, you've had windows broken, someone has tried to set your home on fire and threatened to kill you, you will do whatever it takes to protect yourself, your family and your property.

You know, as a member of our law enforcement agencies, you should be on here telling us how you feel ashamed that people will go to those lengths rather than defending them.
  • Options
    You're trying to connect the negative feelings attached to racism with 'ageism', and it's a flawed analogy because they are not the same thing. They don't carry the same weight.

And here's another one. Why is it okay to discriminate? Whether that is on grounds of age, race, religion, hair colour, weight whatever... why is it okay to treat a whole sector of society in a lesser way because of who they are rather than what they have done?

Perhaps you can tell me why my one year old deserves to be treated like this?
    because fathers ought to be with their families and parents ought to teach their kids right from wrong.

As a Tory supporter you really aren't on steady grounds when talking about "family values" are you - didn't you learn anything from the Major years?
  • Options
    You know, as a member of our law enforcement agencies, you should be on here telling us how you feel ashamed that people will go to those lengths rather than defending them.

These lengths? They're not installing gun turrets, bit of an exaggeration there I feel.

As for ashamed, it's the wrong word. People SHOULDN'T have to feel the need to want to install them, the problems shouldn't exist in the first place, and the places where they are installed indicate that the police haven't exactly been doing a first rate job (btw we don't have any on our area....;))

But, some people are obviously desperate enough to want to install them, and like I said if they are given a choice between protecting themselves, or not, despite the problem being forced elsewhere, they will do so.

And no, they shouldn't make a device that distuingshes on race, because when it comes to comitting crime, race is not an issue. Black people aren't any more likely to commit a crime than a white person.
  • Options
    And no, they shouldn't make a device that distuingshes on race, because when it comes to comitting crime, race is not an issue. Black people aren't any more likely to commit a crime than a white person.

In some areas they are.

Why is it wrong to discriminate by Whowhere?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    He answered that a few posts ago.

None of you have. Do you actually understand why discriminating on basis of race wrong Matt? Answer it ffs!

Within the answer you'll find the same reasons as to why it's wrong to discriminate on the basis of age.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Link to the noise

I can hear it click on and off but nowt in between!
  • Options
    As long as there is a GOOD ENOUGH reason to discriminate then it is FINE.

So in areas where the majority of crime is commited by black people, targetting stop and searches is acceptable?
    Weekender Offender