Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Ultrasonic teen repellent

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
No joke:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article3356157.ece

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5j1zRbk4Sc2MQegC8CM0FnYFXyaxw

At first I thought this was a piss-take (I couldn't stop laughing). I'm telling you, it's only a matter of time till somebody seriously suggests a 'Battle Royale' type remedy to the yob issue.

Comments

• Options
    It is discriminatory and wrong.

Having said that, it's also funny as fuck :D

But the bottom line is, it is wrong.

(but LOL!)
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    It is discriminatory and wrong.

Having said that, it's also funny as fuck :D

But the bottom line is, it is wrong.

(but LOL!)

It really does make you wonder what goes on in the heads of the people who dream up and implement these schemes. :D
  • Options
    Wlathasmtow Bus Station plays classical music instead...
  • Options
    That would drive me away :lol:
  • Options
    They play it in Brixton tube station and apparently it has driven away most of the travelcard 'traders'. Well, it has moved them to the pavement outside the station, at any rate.
  • Options
    This wouldn't even get past the planning stage if it was any other demographic other than young people. I think it's quite safe to say that if the police support the use of such devices, they see young people the same way they saw black people in the 70s and 80s. And so no wonder young people see the police in the same way many black people did in the 70s and 80s.
  • Options
    You can't argue with results though. Wherever one of these devices is placed, the youths vanish. Alright, maybe putting them outside a shop is a bad idea, but a homeowner plagued with yobs hanging around outside their house, why not?

On a side note, I'm 24 and I find them bloody annoying, the noise goes right through me.
  • Options
    This wouldn't even get past the planning stage if it was any other demographic other than young people. I think it's quite safe to say that if the police support the use of such devices, they see young people the same way they saw black people in the 70s and 80s. And so no wonder young people see the police in the same way many black people did in the 70s and 80s.

Strongly agree. The tarring of any other entire group because of the misdeeds of a few would have people up-in-arms.
  • Options
    that is pathetic
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    You can't argue with results though. Wherever one of these devices is placed, the youths vanish.

They don't vanish, they go somewhere else to commit their henious crime of "hanging around".

Though this is the kind of comment I expect from our law enforcement agencies :p
  • Options

I agree. All you have to do is replace the word 'youths' in the description with 'black people' and it is evidently wrong. Isn't it obvious?
  • Options
    Alright, maybe putting them outside a shop is a bad idea, but a homeowner plagued with yobs hanging around outside their house, why not?

Because you might have children/young people who happen to be neighbours? From what i read the effect of those things travels a fair distance.

Plus, as others have said if it was any other group or something that was racially based then people who be having fits about it.
  • Options
    It's wrong but I find it hilarious :lol:

They've been piping classical music into Sunderland bus station since I was at school. I used to quite like it but it did drive people out. There is a little waiting room - 'the bubble' - where it is extra loud. I think it annoys the older people too though, as it's always empty...
  • Options
    id smash it up :thumb:
  • Options
    Rant
    They don't vanish, they go somewhere else to commit their henious crime of "hanging around".

Though this is the kind of comment I expect from our law enforcement agencies :p

If only "hanging around" was all they did.

We have had our property damaged, car vandalised. been verbally abused & threated with violence. We have also had a threat that they would "firebomb our house"

What we did to deserve all this... we bought an end terrace opposite where they "hang around"

Less than 20 miles away from me, Kids that were "hanging around" (whilst also vandalising cars) beat gary newlove to death because he disagreed with what they were doing.

Im all for Human rights but why should these poorly behaved minority of youths get theirs rights so fervently defended when they are so intent on absolving me of mine.

It is a shame that these devices are indiscriminate but it is currently the only thing that works. If you do gooders out there dont like it then come up with a better alternative instead of berating people for defending their safety, property, livelihood & OUR right to a peaceful existance!

P.S. I do realise that most teenagers are harmless & law abiding. It is the ones who are not that are spoiling it for the rest, not the shopkeepers, councils & law unenforcement.

Rant over.
  • Options
    Bluminati wrote: »
    If only "hanging around" was all they did.

We have had our property damaged, car vandalised. been verbally abused & threated with violence. We have also had a threat that they would "firebomb our house"

What we did to deserve all this... we bought an end terrace opposite where they "hang around"

Less than 20 miles away from me, Kids that were "hanging around" (whilst also vandalising cars) beat gary newlove to death because he disagreed with what they were doing.

Im all for Human rights but why should these poorly behaved minority of youths get theirs rights so fervently defended when they are so intent on absolving me of mine.

It is a shame that these devices are indiscriminate but it is currently the only thing that works. If you do gooders out there dont like it then come up with a better alternative instead of berating people for defending their safety, property, livelihood & OUR right to a peaceful existance!

Good rant. Also missed my point completely.

It isn't the fact that these people are there which is the problem, it's what they do and all this device does is move them somewhere else - it doesn't stop them from doing the same thing at another place.

That is what you have to address, not the fact that they are hanging around.
    P.S. I do realise that most teenagers are harmless & law abiding. It is the ones who are not that are spoiling it for the rest, not the shopkeepers, councils & law unenforcement.

And this device does not discriminate.
  • Options
    Whose defending the rights of these minority of youths? I'm defending the rights of myself, as a 23 year old person who's never been arrested in his life to go about my business. Or my 5 year old niece to not have to put up with devices designed to cause extreme discomfort when going near a shop. Your attitude is as pathetic as rounding up all the muslims because of a few terrorist incidents involving muslims. Let me ask you, do you think the majority of law-abiding young people are going to have a cooperative relationship with the police and local businesses if they're implementing this sort of thing?

And as for the Gary Newlove incident, maybe you should be pointing your finger at the people who did a pathetic job of enforcing the offender's bail conditions, rather than blaming the youth population as a whole.
  • Options
  • Options
    Whose defending the rights of these minority of youths? I'm defending the rights of myself, as a 23 year old person who's never been arrested in his life to go about my business. Or my 5 year old niece to not have to put up with devices designed to cause extreme discomfort when going near a shop. Your attitude is as pathetic as rounding up all the muslims because of a few terrorist incidents involving muslims. Let me ask you, do you think the majority of law-abiding young people are going to have a cooperative relationship with the police and local businesses if they're implementing this sort of thing?

And as for the Gary Newlove incident, maybe you should be pointing your finger at the people who did a pathetic job of enforcing the offender's bail conditions, rather than blaming the youth population as a whole.

I agree, the likes of you and your niece should not have to put up with it the same as the shopkeeper shouldn't have to pay out £500 just to keep his shop safe. If you actually read what I wrote, I didnt blame the youth population as a whole, I blamed a minority who cause all & sundry to suffer.

You have to balance your right to walk into a shop without discomfort in your ears against your right to walk into the shop without feeling threatened by the gang of bored stoned yobs outside. (youths is a bad term because their age is of no consequence)

The problem lies with parents whom won't control their children, the fact that the parents who want to control their children cant because the legal system has taken away their right to do so and the complete lack of consequences for anything they do.

The only reason they do these things is because they can & they know that there isn't a damn thing that anyone can do about it without stooping to their level. Any law abiding citizen that takes the law into his/her own hands would soon be on the wrong side of the law while these few remain protected by it no matter what they do.

I simpathise with your situation but surely you can see the other side of the argument.
  • Options
    It has nothing to do with bigotry nor is it trying to curtail the freedom of the youth population. these things are bought by individuals with one thing in mind, to move the nuisance away from their property & livelyhood.

The people who buy these are not wrong or youthist. they are just reacting to the problem in the only way they have left as there is no alternative solution.

It is a sad fact that as people cannot hope to solve the problem they have alone, while they get no help from our government or legal system, they have to fend for themselves. you cannot blame them for that.
  • Options
    You can't argue with results though.

I hate people as much as the next person but I don't think the ends justify the means on this one.

Though I'm with Aladdin in thinking that this is also funny as fuck.
  • Options
    It has nothing to do with bigotry nor is it trying to curtail the freedom of the youth population. these things are bought by individuals with one thing in mind, to move the nuisance away from their property & livelyhood.
    Of course it's bigotted/prejudiced. It's exactly the same as being a victim of a succession of black criminals, and taking the opinion that it would therefore be acceptable to ban all black people from a particular area. Or being raped by a gay man, and being a homophobe for the rest of your life. Understandable perhaps, but no more acceptable. Don't want to deal with all members of society equally, then don't open a business which requires you to serve members of the public.
    It is a sad fact that as people cannot hope to solve the problem they have alone, while they get no help from our government or legal system, they have to fend for themselves. you cannot blame them for that.
    Like I said, it's the police support for such devices that I would have a problem with. It's a lazy method of policing that doesn't discriminate, in the same way as searching all brown people at an airport. But either way, it's still prejudiced for the owner of a private business to target an entire demographic because they happen to match the demographic of a few criminals. I can't see how you can argue that it isn't prejudiced.
  • Options
    wonder if smashing it in self defence would be okay?
  • Options
    I think it is wrong as it would effect young people no matter what they are doing. Plus the sort of people its trying to defend against would probably damage it / the property it is attached to just to get back at who ever put it there.
  • Options
    Of course it's bigotted/prejudiced. It's exactly the same as being a victim of a succession of black criminals, and taking the opinion that it would therefore be acceptable to ban all black people from a particular area.

Dont give me that. the entire argument aginst these devices is based on the fact that they are NOT prejudiced.

If they were discriminatory, only those people who were a problem would be affected and we wouldn't have a problem with them.

They affect all up to the age where your hearing is in decline regardless of your colour, gender, sexual preference or religion, they only discriminate against the demographic of people who can hear them.

The argument is not about wether or not they are right or wrong, or prejudiced. the people who use them have a very real need for the service they provide. they do work and until people stop moaning about them and do something positive like tackling the root cause of the issue which is vandalism and gang nuisance which is mostly (but i hasten to add not always) perpetrated by some MINORITY elements of the young of our society, then they remain a necessity until an alternative appears.

Agree with the quote on lazy policing though.
  • Options
    Can't say I've got any problem with these devices myself. If nothing else, it proves that there's at least one person in authority nowadays with a sense of humour.
  • Options
    Dont give me that. the entire argument aginst these devices is based on the fact that they are NOT prejudiced.

You are, of course, completely wrong.

They are designed to only be within the hearing range of under 25s - or to put it plainly at one sector of the population, regardless of their actions.

How is that not predjudice?
    they only discriminate against the demographic of people who can hear them.

Erm... isn't that therefore a contradiction of your claim that they aren't predjudiced?
  • Options
    18 certificate films prejudice largely the same demographic but noone gives a rats ass about that. Why? because its necessary & until the law changes to allow the troublemakers to be dealt with then so are these devices.

besides, I think the argument has got a little off topic.

Talk about focusing on the irrelevant parts of the argument. I couldnt give a monkeys bum if they people feel they prejudice young people. The main point of concern should be that they prejudice people who do nothing wrong.

My very first post was aimed at making those people who only give a damn about the buzzing in their ears understand what it can be like to be on the receiving end of youth nuisance. We have been targeted purely because our house is on the end of the row & vulnerable. My wife is so shaken up that we are selling our house to move away from it & we have applied to emigrate because we see the same thing everywhere & the only escape is another country.

I challenge anyone to live for a week under the sort of conditions that we have endured & then see if protecting youths right to "hang about" is top of your agenda.

realise that most people use these things not because they hate all youths but that they are scared of the damage that a few of them will do and are trying to protect themselves using the only means available.

When you live in this situation every day, you wont care if a few innocents get buzzing in their ears either.

I have made my position clear. I dont want these things any more than you do but see them as a necessary evil. If they are to be banned, which they should be, this must only happen if some other way for people to protect themselves & their property is made available. In the meantime they should be used sparingly, only when required & switched off as soon as the troublesome group have moved away. Often the biggest problem is that they are switched on via an Infra red sensor & remain on for 20 minutes which cant be right
  • Options
    Bluminati, you should just go the whole hog and put all kids in prison.

After all, one or two of them might commit a crime. And some people are scared of groups of children saying "fuck" a lot. Pre-emptive punishment! No more fear!

I've had problems with the buzzers too, one shop had them when there was a bus stop outside. Lovely.

I've had problems with lots of different groups of people. I have problems with Stagecoach bus drivers but that doesn't mean I can set something up which causes physical pain to them.
  • Options