Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The 'Weightloss and increased fitness' thread.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hi all, I have just got back from my first session at this new gym and i love it, it is soo small and private that there was only 3 people there and i could use the machines i wanted :D:D Feeling really postive for a change and i hope that I will stick at this one!!
  • Options
    lacrymosa wrote: »
    Where do you get protein bars from? The ones in the gym are so expensive :(

Also, when are you best eating one? Before or after a workout? And how many should you be eating a day?

They are ALL quite expensive. As has been posted the first time you asked this :yeees:, go to http://www.myprotein.co.uk/mp-max/protein-flapjacks/

Eat one within 30 minutes of your workouts, that is a must. Otherwise, just have one when you're hungry. Try spacing them out though, for example, if you're working out in a morning, have one as an evening snack, or if you're working out in a evening, have one in a morning. I wouldn't have more than two though. They're to supplement your diet, not replace it :)

If you DARE complain about the calories or any other content in them, I will open a can of whoop-ass on you ;) They contain a lot of engineered everything to give the body what it needs.
  • Options
    Where do you get protein bars from? The ones in the gym are so expensive :(

Also, when are you best eating one? Before or after a workout? And how many should you be eating a day?

Also, I am curious what you are doing at the gym at the moment - what exercises are you doing for your shoulders + what weights?
  • Options
    I'm trying to ignore calories and everything right now. I'm just trying to eat healthy and stuff.

Thanks for the link :)

That is definitely the best thing to do. :)
  • Options
    Errr, well I've put on a bit of weight these past few weeks (because I've been eating normally) so they've filled out a bit more. I'm doing a bit of shoulder work with dumbells though :yes: I went on that forum you linked on here and asked for some advice and they gave me some exercises to do (although it turned into a debate so I never posted again :lol:) On top of that, I'm doing my squats, lunges, etc (on the power plate), sit ups, about 45 minutes of cardio each time I go the gym and errr the weight machines I use are...hip abductor, abdominal cruncher, back extension, leg extension, leg curl, arm curl, arm extension and errrr a few more but I can't remember the name of them! I'm trying to increase my weights too. I don't know why, but I'm obsessed with weights at the moment. I want to try out the free weights but I'm worried about the reaction the men would give me because you really do see no women in that area of the gym!

Definitely try getting as much of your work done with free weights as possible. Because you're not using a fixed range of motion controlled by a machine, your body needs to engage different muscles to support the movement - hence requiring more effort and getting better results.

Honestly though, get rid of the powerplate shite and add some heavier weights to your lunges and squatting. There are plenty of variations of squats and lunges, of which you will be able to do about 3 on the power plate, which is soooo restrictive. Never mind attempting it using a barbell.

With your dumbbell work, aim to use as heavy a weight as you can manage. You should be really be aiming so that you are struggling/close to failure on your second or third set (depending how many you are doing). REALLY push it. RAWR.

Don't worry about blokes in the free weights area. They will initially raise an eyebrow, but they'll soon get bored and go back to their own lifting. Wear a cap, if that helps :)

I had to :lol: at your comment about that forum. They can get quite intense, that's for sure ;)
  • Options
    G since you seem to know a fair bit, for someone who doesn't do any exercise and has no gym membership what's a good basic fitness regime. Eat pretty healthily but would be nice to tone up my stomach, lol.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    G since you seem to know a fair bit, for someone who doesn't do any exercise and has no gym membership what's a good basic fitness regime. Eat pretty healthily but would be nice to tone up my stomach, lol.

:lol:

There is a TON of info in this thread and in the Gym Rats thread, chap.

Briefly though, at home you can start with:

Squats (various)
    Lunges (various)
    Push-ups (varying angles)

But some cheap dumbbells from Argos or somewhere and you open a whole LOAD of different options (£25 or so will buy you a nice set with different weights you can add/remove from the bar).

Go running or for a bike ride.

Crunches will help start off the stomach.

Check http://www.exrx.net/ for details on exercises.
  • Options
    When I was going to the gym, I think i was more paranoid about being wathed than any watching that was actually going on. In fact, i think, i was the monst watchy person there but only coz i wanted to copy their exercises.

Have to move house next month so I'm saving my pennies but I will be joining gym again after that, to use the weights and get the trainer to give me a proper ie. not 'tone up' exercise regime.
  • Options
    I've gathered about 3 hours' worth of bike time today in three different trips! I am lathered in sweat, haha. Just got home at 1:15 after midnight as I decided to visit my friend by bike as it's the same way as work, only further. ;) I also had a night shift last night so I biked to work yesterday evening and had to return this morning (that was hard to get motivated for! I just had no other way of going home :p)
    I really had forgotten how much I always loved abusing a bike! Jumping is so much fun. :D

Fell into a deep pit of chocolate the past three days. :no: Need to straighten my act.
  • Options
    I havn't lost any weight yet, in fact I've gained a bit, and it was a bit depressing. I've been so healthy, I've gone to the gym like 3 times a week and I've got back on the weights and I eat oatmeal and salads and don't eat till I hurt every meal. But I ran out of pants tonight and I tried on the pair I had bought a while ago that I could barely get up over my ass. I could get them on! They were definatly muffin topalicious and they went back into the closet, but I could get them on and I was so shocked and it made me feel pretty good! Plus if all this fucking oatmeal hasn't lowered my cholesterol, well then I'm just fucked and I might as well give up :p

I was quite depressed though... I smelled that soembody at work had been eating a really delicious berry oatmeal... then found out it was those oatmeal bars, and those are dry and disgusting :(
  • Options
    Well since i have been forgetting about the situps and pushups, and concentrating on the running, every 10 mins through rambo 4, i was getting down and doing some pushups and situps. Feeling a bit achy now, and probly more so in the morning, but i think its worked!
  • Options
    Well im getting into a routine of 350 calories workout on my rest day, of mainly light weights, some sit ups, low reps high sets. Nice short stroll etc.

The days in between my rest days, im burning off about 900 calories, with a combo of a nice long run and a short (mainly coasting) bike ride at the end. At weekends i run for a bit longer, and usually on a sunday burn about 1,000 cals on a long bike ride, followed by some more intense situps, pushups

Throwing in a few tricep dips on park benches as a run past, few dorsal raises in the morning when i get up, and just before bed, and lunges etc.

Do you guys think this seems a sensible amount.

Im gradually working on increasing my run times and distances, currently running 1.5 mile in 10 mins flat.
  • Options
    I've completed the exercise programme that my doctor refered me to sucessfully :yippe:

Now I just need to keep going with it!
  • Options
    i have been getting into a good routine, had 2 rearrange a session 2day as my back was bad, am gutted!!
  • Options
    Fun day today! Took my bike to some trails and was out and about for about two hours, not just pure riding though as I lay down in a small forest towards the end and read a bit (yeah I took a book with me on my ride, lol) and then I gave my bike a well deserved wash once back home.

I'm feeling very positive about my stamina so I'm aiming to add some squats and the other fun stuff after my morning commute.

Sounds like a lot of us are doing well these days! Rock on! :thumb:
  • Options
    Well, my back is still not better, but its on the way, my groin is totally destroyed, I can't run/jump etc at all!

But I thought fuck it and I been back in the gym two weeks!!

It's unbelieveable how fat I am lol, (proper fat as well- not just attention seeking saying im fat) and weak !

But already I can start to see a difference, a few months of the weights and cardio I will be in top shape again.. !!

Have not read the thread to catch up but now I am back training, I will start posting and advising again lol.

Phil

PS - Would not advise poster above to squat at home, get an instructor at a gym to teach you good form first or you will end up like me.
  • Options
    It is so hard to work out in this weather. It is so hot and so humid and its only going to get worse. Can't go for walks outside cuz of the weather and I have no a/c in my car and end up allhot, sweaty and exausted just from driving home after work :\
  • Options
    It is so hard to work out in this weather. It is so hot and so humid and its only going to get worse. Can't go for walks outside cuz of the weather and I have no a/c in my car and end up allhot, sweaty and exausted just from driving home after work :\

I tried to walk home today but it was too cold and started raining so I had to catch the bus from about half way, although I do feel for you too. Weather sucks :)
  • Options
    Well, my back is still not better, but its on the way, my groin is totally destroyed, I can't run/jump etc at all!

:( Hope you are better soon and not in too much pain. Take it easy in the gym :)
  • Options
    PS - Would not advise poster above to squat at home, get an instructor at a gym to teach you good form first or you will end up like me.

The 'poster above' does all workouts at a gym and has a very keen interest in correct form thanks to a pre-existing back problem. I'm not new to squatting or other training. ;)

Good to hear you've been able to return to the gym. Just remember your own advice and don't overdo it. Good luck! :)
  • Options
    Jaloux wrote: »
    The 'poster above' does all workouts at a gym and has a very keen interest in correct form thanks to a pre-existing back problem. I'm not new to squatting or other training. ;)

I don't think he meant you :)
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    I don't think he meant you :)

No one else has been mentioning squatting recently so I fail to see who else he might be refering to.

ETA: Unless it was aimed at ShyBoy who was pretty far above. In either case I guess it'd be a good idea to post user names. ;)
  • Options
    Jaloux wrote: »
    No one else has been mentioning squatting recently so I fail to see who else he might be refering to.

ETA: Unless it was aimed at ShyBoy who was pretty far above. In either case I guess it'd be a good idea to post user names. ;)

He was.
  • Options
    I have done something to the back of my leg...pulled a muscle maybe...but I can't even walk properly on it and I'm supposed to be training for a fucking marathon. ARGH. My body hates me, swear to god. I've put on weight as well. Ffs :(.
  • Options
    lol, oooh sorry Jalou wont offer you any advice again :P

lacy, the point is good muscular thighs are better than skinny fat ones ;)

I spent about 40 seconds in the mirror today checking out my pecs, traps and lats on their wonderous return! lol

It's amazing how much they have come back in jsut 2 weeks, another 3 months worth of cutting the fat off, and the growth they'll have, i'll be back to posting pics! lol

I hope everyone else is going OK
  • Options
    Good good, glad it's going well!

I just ate, I am tempted to get my kit together and drive down for a cardio session in a bit.... decisions, decisions!
  • Options
    Well I'm back (again!) but this time with a vengeance and true purpose. I've just seen an absolutely dreadful photo of me on holiday (if anyone wants to see how disgusting I look!) and it's finally shoved me in the right direction.

I've decided to go along to a Weight Watchers meeting tomorrow evening. The financial and group factors will trigger me into shifting a bit. I think I'm nearly tipping the scales at 15 stones, which when I'm only 19 years old is a bit much.

I'm hoping to be a size 12 by the time I'm 21 which gives me 18 months to drop 3 dress sizes.

I'm doing it for my health, I'm constantly tired, drained and with no energy. I've got dodgy joints from an array of injuries which flare up regularly and I cannot do the simplest of tasks without gasping for air.

Enough is enough really. I need to sort myself out.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    :( Hope you are better soon and not in too much pain. Take it easy in the gym :)

Missed this before! But thanks;)
  • Options
    My back is fucked agani today and I dropped a 10k plate on my toes! ARG!:banghead:
  • Options
    According to my pedometer I ran half a mile. Not sure how accurate the pedometer is but it was for 20 mins. It wasn't just straight running. I stopped and walked but I think the majority of it was jogging. Am I being to easy on myself to prepare for a 13 mile half marathon by training in this way?

edit: I've gone out jogging once this week before and I think that was for around 15 mins. I want to go jogging 3x a week. Do you think this is ok?