Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

The 'Weightloss and increased fitness' thread.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    lacrymosa wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend any high protein low calorie bars? I've found out what exercises I need to do but I've been told I need to up my protein intake.

Myprotein.co.uk Or just eat more meat, eggs for breakfast, etc
  • Options
    i've lost 4 pounds in 3 weeks! my diet and getting off my arse and doing stuff is really working. I'm not really doing much active exercise, but i'm taking stairs, and walking more, which seems to be doing the trick...

Well done babe! Keep it up! I'm really pleased for you, you are definately heading in the right direction. You must be able to notice some of the weight lose by now (4lb is noticeable!!).
  • Options
    I think my work has a conspiracy to keep from anybody being healthy. Once a week there are bagels, donuts, muffins or something from somebodies birthday or another company. It seems like every few weeks we have a company meal too. Nothing healthy there, the last one had vegitables, but they were sitting in butter :p I've never seen a work eat so much!

I've been being pretty satisfied with myself though, we havn't had a meal in the last two weeks, but every time there have been donuts and stuff I'll take it home instead of eating it then and split it with the boyfriend (cuz theres no such thing as a non giant food there either :p)
  • Options
    Simba: I know that feeling! I work at a large workplace where people are constantly bringing leftovers from big family gatherings, birthdays or something. I've even been guilty of bringing cake to work twice already. ;) There's also candy bars on offer 24/7 and the temptation is overwhelming a lot of the time!

I've not posted a lot lately because I stumbled with my gym routine and before I knew it school was back with a vengeance and I ended up not really exercising much for the past three weeks. HOWEVER. I've been dying to have a bike for over a month now and my parents decided to give me one as a graduation present. :hyper: Gosh I had forgotten how much fun it is! I used to bike all.the.time as a teen and now I remember why!
    I don't start working until Wednesday and the grand plan is to start commuting to work using my bike so I'm going to bike lots until then and then have a trial-commute trip on Tuesday to sign my work contract. :D I went about half the way in 10-15 minutes just now and I estimate the entire way to be about 30+ minutes depending on how speedy I am and the weather.

I seem to have more stamina than I anticipated. :)
  • Options
    Nice going! What a benefit too, getting in shape and doing it to go get some moola ;)

I've been trying to be healthier for two weeks now. Its benefiting me in more ways than one. First, I don't sit around the house with my pants unbuttoned (cuz I'm so sexy :o) And I've cut alot down on my drinking and I got pretty tipsy off of only 6 martinis tonight :D Though it has seemed to wear off quite quickly :(
  • Options
    i feel SOO fat and horrible right now.

I think i look alright - i feel ok, but then i see pictures of myself, and im reminded how much weight i have put on since last year. im just kidding myself that i havent.
    urgh im gross
  • Options
    My plan just got messed up a little, got a call asking if I could take an extra shift on Tuesday that starts at 7:30 which was the day I meant to test ride the commute. My legs are starting to ache after yesterday and I wasn't as frisky on my short grocery tour today. ;)

I will probably get back on the bike in a while and go a little further of the commute than yesterday, then take it easy tomorrow to save some energy and do my first commute on Tuesday! Leave the house at 6:30. :D

ETA: I ended up going the whole commute! Took me 30 minutes to work and the route back was a little harder due to strong headwind and the hills. Plus I was tired ;)
  • Options
    I have aquired my medical records and it looks as though i may be in with a chance of appeal!
  • Options
    Booya!!

Day two of biking to work and it's brilliant! I'm so glad I gave it a go. :thumb:
  • Options
    My working out hasn't been completly in vain! I guess it has been a month now... my bp was 140/85. Had a physical for work and today it was 130/85. Not sure if that is a good decrease for the amount of time but a decrease is still something positive! :D High bp, cholesterol or any type of heart problems is not on either side of my family so everything is all of my own doing so I know I should be able to get things to normal by myself.
  • Options
    Congratulations, that's a very good sign Simba! Keep it up. :)

I went grocery shopping on my bike yesterday and using the trip I took a slight (very slight :p) detour to the recycling containers. yay!

Then I left my car downtown last night and need to go to the stables very shortly which means walking. After that I'm planning to see if my bike might possibly fit into mom's car (we've got the same car type :p) and if it does, I plan to bike downtown to pick up my car.
  • Options
    i'm looking at bikes to start cycling to work and get that extra bit of exercise in :)
  • Options
    That ride downtown was crazy fun :D Doubt I was more than 40 minutes on the way and the last leg was wicked, tight turns, up and down some bumps, watching out for cars and pedestrians and speeding. I didn't really want to stop biking when I got there but had to go home. :(
  • Options
    I've lost twenty pounds since the middle of February.

Still doing the exercise programme though.

I'm aching today from the work out I did on Monday.
  • Options
    Jaloux wrote: »
    Congratulations, that's a very good sign Simba! Keep it up. :)

I went grocery shopping on my bike yesterday and using the trip I took a slight (very slight :p) detour to the recycling containers. yay!

Then I left my car downtown last night and need to go to the stables very shortly which means walking. After that I'm planning to see if my bike might possibly fit into mom's car (we've got the same car type :p) and if it does, I plan to bike downtown to pick up my car.

About how fast on average do you bike? I'd love to be able to ride my bike to work. It's about 7 miles. That should be doable? Though there are no bike lanes or sidewalks and lots of angry drivers...

Anywho... congrats on all your biking, its quite impressive :D Keep us updated on how you do!
  • Options
    Me and the boyfriend have started bike riding, we're looking to do between 3-5 hours a week. I want to lose 1/2 a stone, him more. We both want to tone up. Is this enough exercise?

Trying to eat healthier too but I love cheese! :(
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hello,
    I've just deleted three posts - one with inappropriate comments and two that quote those comments. Any further offensive comments in this thread will simply be deleted.
  • Options
    **Helen** wrote: »
    Hello,
    I've just deleted three posts - one with inappropriate comments and two that quote those comments. Any further offensive comments in this thread will simply be deleted.

More than acceptable. :yes:
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »
    Me and the boyfriend have started bike riding, we're looking to do between 3-5 hours a week. I want to lose 1/2 a stone, him more. We both want to tone up. Is this enough exercise?

Trying to eat healthier too but I love cheese! :(

Cheese is my down fall too. I love it but it's so fattening. It's ok in moderation tho
  • Options
    I'm in love with a new class at the gym...circuits :heart:
    Makes you feel so good after :yes:
    Only downfall is there on at 6.45 in the mornings :(
  • Options
    **Helen** wrote: »
    Hello,

Were these comments aimed at me? If they were can one of you who saw it please pm me to tell me what they said and who said it. I want to know if people are talking about me, not knowing just makes me more paranoid than I am already! If they are about someone else then just ignore me.
  • Options
    hi im trying to cut out junk food from my diet so farr its been just over 24 hours.. was hard last night as i went out i did not drink or go for a pizza after our night out how good am i.. (lol lets see how long i last)
    but i snacked on fruit when i wanted choclate :D and as a result i had about 8 fruits :D
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    I've lost twenty pounds since the middle of February.

Still doing the exercise programme though.

I'm aching today from the work out I did on Monday.

Hi, how have u managed to lose that much since feb?? Thats really good!
    Is it through exercise, if so what are u doing??

Thanks

Em
  • Options
    Hi, how have u managed to lose that much since feb?? Thats really good!
    Is it through exercise, if so what are u doing??

Thanks

Em

She suffers from an eating disorder :(
  • Options
    No it wasn't that healthy, sadly it's due mostly to poor appetite due to depression! I've got really low self-esteem so I find it hard to nourish myself.

I am on a really good exercise programme though and I'd really recommend trying to do exercise. I was refered by my doctor to the programme I'm doing as it's a programme for people with mental health problems and it's meant to be very good for depression. It's at the gym although I've only actually been going once a week on average, sometimes twice a week but usually just once a week. I find that sticking with the exercise is easier if I always go to the same gym at the same time each week as it becomes more a habit than just going at random times.

Also I've recently been trying to eat less refined sugars, but not in order to lose weight but more to avoid mood swings and low moods which I am very prone to especially if I eat too much sugar. I've found that eating more fruit has really helped me eat less refined sugars and from what I understand they are generally better for the mood as they are slower released sugars so don't have the peak-then-trough effect that some sugars can.

Good luck with your exercise!

Take care x
  • Options
    RG you're right about fructose taking longer to be metabolised than sucrose etc. but any sugar is going to give you a 'hit' really. It's not bad in a balanced diet but carbs are where it's at - these are the same molecules but in massive chains that have to be broken up by acids after the material is broken down, meaning it takes much longer for the sugar to enter your system and what is called 'slow release' i.e. it will continue releasing sugar for energy through the day.
  • Options
    Thanks for that advice ShyBoy, I'll bear that in mind :)

I do eat some complex carbs, I wouldn't want to suggest otherwise! But you are probably right about the sugars in fruit still giving me a hit. But at least it's better than chocolate and has less caffiene!
  • Options
    Just after some advice, I am rubbish with motivation with the gym! I have sometimes not gone for like 3 months at a time but coz i have a direct debit i still pay! Also the trainers there seem to be more interested in sitting behind a desk than actually helping or advising you!!

I have just found a new gym nearer to me, the only thing is its more expensive.

This is what it offers,

* one to one training 3 times a week.
    * nutrition program
    * goal specific programs
    * and i can use the gym whenever i want outside of these sessions.

The only downside is that this is £60 per month. At the moment I am currently paying £25 for the gym (I am a council employee so I get discount) and £20 for weight watchers. Neither of which I find very motivational.

Do you think that this sounds worth the extra money untill I get into a routine and have lost my phobia of the gym or is it just a waste! I really need to do something as I am unhappy at the moment but severly lack motivation.

Sorry if this is rambling. Thanks

Em
  • Options
    I'm starting a diet on Monday morning. I'll have the time to do it properly as I've got five free weeks until starting a job. Can anyone recommend any good diets that work? I've done slim fast in the past for 2 weeks before going on holiday and that was quite good, but I'm not sure I could cope doing it for a month.

I know people say not to do diets but I really want to. I need to have that control and meal plans in order to restrict myself and be able to buy all the food I need each week.
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »
    I'm starting a diet on Monday morning. I'll have the time to do it properly as I've got five free weeks until starting a job. Can anyone recommend any good diets that work? I've done slim fast in the past for 2 weeks before going on holiday and that was quite good, but I'm not sure I could cope doing it for a month.

I know people say not to do diets but I really want to. I need to have that control and meal plans in order to restrict myself and be able to buy all the food I need each week.

i personally have got on well doing Rosemary Conley's GI hip and thigh diet slightly altered to include more protein as suggested by go_away and g_angel. the book is about £4 from asda and has recipes in it.