Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The 'Weightloss and increased fitness' thread.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Many juices have very little or no sugar or high fructose syrup added. You just have to get actual fruit juice, not purple drink :p
    And fruit/vegitable drinks like v8's fusion if you have that have a full serving of vegis and fruit with no added sugars, and doesn't taste a bit like a bloody mary :yum:
  • Options
    I think I need to get back on the bandwagon again, as like franki I have slipped off a little! Although I haven't put on any weight/inches I have been eating terribly the last few weeks and not been going to the gym as much as I should because I've become lazy and am too tired after placement! I finish placement on Sunday though so am definately going to start being healthy again and hopefully loose some more inches in time for summer!!
  • Options
    aleox wrote: »
    I think I need to get back on the bandwagon again, as like franki I have slipped off a little! Although I haven't put on any weight/inches I have been eating terribly the last few weeks and not been going to the gym as much as I should because I've become lazy and am too tired after placement! I finish placement on Sunday though so am definately going to start being healthy again and hopefully loose some more inches in time for summer!!

Thats one of the reasons I hate placement, never having energy to go the gym.

When I was on HDU/ITU I did 12 hour shifts and never had the energy to go at like 9 at night after walking home. Sometimes I'd force myself even though I could just about walk :(
    It doesn't help that most hospital wards have a mass supply of chocolates of patients and relatives :rolleyes:
  • Options
    piecesofme wrote: »
    Thats one of the reasons I hate placement, never having energy to go the gym.

When I was on HDU/ITU I did 12 hour shifts and never had the energy to go at like 9 at night after walking home. Sometimes I'd force myself even though I could just about walk :(
    It doesn't help that most hospital wards have a mass supply of chocolates of patients and relatives :rolleyes:

I know tell me about it! I was on nights this week and we just had masses of cakes/biscuits/crisps! One parent even brought us fish and chips:yum: which didn't really help with my healthy eating!!
  • Options
    aleox wrote: »
    I know tell me about it! I was on nights this week and we just had masses of cakes/biscuits/crisps! One parent even brought us fish and chips:yum: which didn't really help with my healthy eating!!

Nights are the worse! Thankfully only ever had to do a weeks worth ;)

I think they hould ban chocolates being given, I'm not being mean but I've seen the size of some nurse's and it's not healthy!! God knows how they manage to do half the stuff they should :rolleyes:
  • Options
    lacrymosa wrote: »
    Ahahahahaha, wow!!!! I've just measured myself with my tape measure out of curiousity and my waist has got even smaller, its now 24 1/2 inches, not 26 inches. Would you believe that this time last year I had a 32 inch waist? Although I don't get how I could have had a waist that big because I was a size 12 and going by online sizing guides, it would have made me a 16 but hey! I've lost 7 1/2 inches off my waist within a year. How good is that?!!! :D :hyper:

It's not good! Your method was completely unorthodox!

And saying you watched what you ate or went to the gym does not negate what you've done and it's a bit daft to advocate your quick weightloss with how you've achieved it. Especially when other folk are correctly losing weight in a decent, healthy way. Do you want people to lose weight in the short space, excruciatingly painful way you have?

A lot more praise would have been given if it was done properly.

[/broken record]
  • Options
    And to be fair, just because you recommend it doesn't mean other people aren't going to look at your posts here about how much weight you've lost and then read your other posts and think "she lost so much weight that way, maybe I should try it". Kind of like saying that you feel huge at 9st makes me think, even if you don't say it, that me being just over 12st and not-that-much-taller-than-you must mean that I'm MASSIVE.

Incidentally, I DO feel massive today because I'm so bloaty and period-y and I'm in SO MUCH pain that my planned gym visit has had to be cancelled since it took all my effort to get out of bed this morning. Sigh.
  • Options
    I weigh a shade under 14st

so theres quite a few of you who cant say your heavy!
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    Incidentally, I DO feel massive today because I'm so bloaty and period-y and I'm in SO MUCH pain that my planned gym visit has had to be cancelled since it took all my effort to get out of bed this morning. Sigh.

Aw *hugs* babe :)
  • Options
    I'm just under 9.5 stone! WOE! I used to be under 9 stone, but alas....cider finds itself on my hips.

Hey ho and what not! Time to attack the Red Stripe ce soir on t'dance floooooor! :D
  • Options
    Come on guys, it looks like a few days since the last posting in here!

In MrG land (the north east) i have started eating well, homemade soup for breakfast, as i always find hot food its much more to my liking than cold.

Rice and fish for lunch.

Pasta in varying combinations for tea, with the odd bowl of spag bol thrown in for meat etc (and the rare sausage sandwich)

Three weeknight nights a week im going for a 3/4 mile run, with around 50 sit ups, and 50 pushups (not always in one go)

The other two nights im doing around 100 sit ups and 100 pushups with some light weight training. Saturday mornings i go for a short 5 mile bike ride, which takes hardly any time, and i dont push it at all. Then at some point in the weekend i go for a 10mile walk with 13kg of weight in my backpack.

The weight is still as of this moment refusing to shift in any large quantities, but i hope its going to start to soon, and yes i do know that if anything starts to hurt or ache too much to stop/slow down, and take a rest day.

Rest days are planned as sunday and a different weeknight each week, ie one off from running, then the week after one off from situps and pressups.
  • Options
    Does nobody browse in here anymore

anyways, 4.2 miles in 33 minutes, in the pissing down rain.

Im definately getting there!
  • Options
    Hii i did the Kellogs diet for two weeks and lost 6ibs..
    it was good untill my siter got ill and i got stressed and ate loads of choclate.. not blaming her blaming my level of resistance :(

Im quite a fatty now but i don't mind it just bugs me that others assume im pregnant or something hahaha.. as i was a size 8 couple of years ago and now im ...a size 12/14

i want to lose weigt will go on a diet after my exams and let you know how im getting on.. :)
  • Options
    I'm dying I want a bike so bad! I also think a local newspaper is bullying me, every time I look at it there's articles about biking! I might treat myself to one if I pass my super important exam Friday next week.
  • Options
    I finally went gyming yesterday!!!! Went on the treadmill and almost DIED. Evil thing. And the cross trainer on the upstairs part of my gym is different (harder) than the one on the bottom. It's on a different incline or something. Weird.

Anyway, I tried to go on the rower (because I :heart: it) but because I've hurt my wrist I could only go on it for 4 minutes before it started hurting :(. Which meant I couldn't use any of the weight machines either. Meh. Way to fuck up my gym sessions! Hopefully I'll be able to hammer it on the treadmill and do it for longer than 9 minutes next time :o. I do need to train for the half-marathon in October too so I WILL need to learn to love it at some point.

I know I've put on weight this week so I'm not gonna look. Naughty food is just so tempting :(.
  • Options
    Oooo and my body fat was 19.3% - is that good?

I would imagine that is pretty good as women carry more body fat than men. Big muscley gym men usually have under 10% but I'm not sure what it is for women tbh.

I might join this thread thing when I can afford wii fit....I certainly like the idea of that game!
  • Options
    ive been going on the power plate 2x a day for 10 minutes a time for the last 2 weeks -
    and i went swimming today with a few mates - and they commented (bearing in mind that they didnt know i was dieting or using the power plate at all) that i look slimmer and my bum was firmer :D (twas a male friend that noticed my bum!! typical :rolleyes:)

so im chuffed!!

other than power plating, i cant say that ive been good for going to the gym, but i fully intend on going swimming tomorrow, and aqua aerobics on sunday, monday, tuesday :)

im determined to get back into my 32D bras by... mid june.... only 4 inches (and probably about a stone) to lose! :p
  • Options
    I would imagine that is pretty good as women carry more body fat than men. Big muscley gym men usually have under 10% but I'm not sure what it is for women tbh.

I might join this thread thing when I can afford wii fit....I certainly like the idea of that game!

I really want Wii fit, I had ago today in Trafford Center and it was great! My bf bought a Wii today which shall be staying at my house ;)
    I've tried the boxing on Wii sports and that killed my arms and really gets you hot and sweaty!
  • Options
    You have your own power plate?!!!! :eek2: Aren't they like £6k?! Where do you keep it?

No you can get them for like under £200 on shopping channels and in argos!
  • Options
    hehe yeah - well, i say power plate but i guess its just a vibro.. machine.. thing :yes:

cost £900 mind u. my dad got it for me as a veery veery belated xmas pressie!! i :heart: it.
    id like to know what the difference is between this one and a 6k one tho :eek2: or a 100 quid one for that matter. my dads an idiot really. idve been happy to get the cheapest one going!
  • Options
    I don't understand this power plate thing... I've never seen or heard of one so I looked it up... So its a vibrating thing that you stand on? Seems a bit pointless and faddy to me. Is it anymore effective than the vibrating machines in the 50's :p
  • Options
    ISo its a vibrating thing that you stand on? Seems a bit pointless and faddy to me.

:yes:

None of the decent trainers I know bother with them. In fact, there isn't one in the gym I use now. It's more a 'health club' thing, than a 'gym' thing.

I've only ever see women using them, too. I wonder why....................

Imagine doing a barbell squat on one............................ Squat :lol:
  • Options
    I used to use the vibro gyms alot but I've give up on them now. I'd rather do other things.

It's makes my legs go all funny too and my skin goes all tingly, I end up getting a headache after about 10 minutes :(
  • Options
    I did 28 minutes on the treadmill the other day. I've only ever managed 20 minutes, AND I was still keen to carry on (though stopped as I got bored lol) went on the rower instead hehe.
  • Options
    I've just fell in love with pump fx once again :heart:

The instructor who teaches my spinning and pump class on a friday night has an amazing body! Muscle in all the right places and no fat what-so-ever. She makes you want to work so much harder!
  • Options
    I've noticed a real difference since using the power plate! Its definately done something for me. Saying that, I've been doing more squats and lunges :chin:

It's probably that than the power plate. Although the power plate has prob done something, but squats and lunges rule :thumb: Even if you do walk like John Wayne the next day ;)
  • Options
    Well i went out on the drink last night (coca cola & water:thumb: )

And the group of mates i was out with, who i havnt been out with for a while commented that im looking good!

So something much be going right :)
  • Options
    When I move to Gibraltar the family I am staying with eat quite healthily compared to as I do now so I'm hoping that will kick me into touch.

Also the local gym/swimming pool/leisure centre is only 20 euros a month and I get paid 100 euros a week so I'm definatly going to join and try and go after I've dropped the boys off at nursery/school and mabye in the evenings and days off. Hoping I might meet some people through it and tone up a bit. I don't watch my weight, I don't weigh myself and go off that I look at myself and decide what "bits" I don't like I want to change. Go off appearance as opposed to going of weight as such.

I just want to live a lot more healthier and have a better lifestyle and am hoping the move will push me into doing this.

BUT until then I'm going to try to go on a nice long walk every week - walked for two hours yesterday in the sun and I can feel my legs aching now and I am going to go lunges/sit ups in my bedroom everyday. How many should I be aiming for?
  • Options
    With situps its best to push yourself a little, try for a week doing like 2/3 sets of ten

then the weekafter do the same with 15

then increase slowly
  • Options
    i've lost 4 pounds in 3 weeks! my diet and getting off my arse and doing stuff is really working. I'm not really doing much active exercise, but i'm taking stairs, and walking more, which seems to be doing the trick...