Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

The 'Weightloss and increased fitness' thread.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think your pedometer is wrong....on average it takes around 20 minutes to WALK a whole mile (although it takes me just under 15 :D) so if you were running it shouldn't have taken that long :/.
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    I think your pedometer is wrong....on average it takes around 20 minutes to WALK a whole mile (although it takes me just under 15 :D) so if you were running it shouldn't have taken that long :/.

yeah that is more than likely :chin: unless im just REALLY REALLY unfit agh
  • Options
    I doubt that :p. I'm really, really unfit and it still takes me less than an hour to walk 4 miles to work every day. Maybe that's because I do it every day but it's never taken me longer than just over an hour.
  • Options
    I hope it's just the pedo thing being dodgy.

I hope I perfect the art of what to do with my arms whilst running otherwise me thinks I will cause you embarassment :p I flail
  • Options
    Haha, don't worry, the idea of doing it together was so that we could look stupid together :p.
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    Haha, don't worry, the idea of doing it together was so that we could look stupid together :p.

:yippe: I think I will run more naturally the more I train. Fingers crossed!!
  • Options
    woo i feel good today :)
    went on a 9 mile walk today which took me just over 3 hours.
    twas mostly uphill too so really pushed myself. im determined to be in bikini shape by august :D

think i may walk to and from the gym tomorrow (40 mins each way) and obviously gym also.

i love it when my exercise motivation comes back . its been missing for the last few months ;)
  • Options
    i definitely lost my motivation with the gym and have only been going about once a week. I was ill then I couldn't get backninto it, then my knee was playing up, then my shin!! Anyway I'm going away next weds so I decided to use that as soemthing to aim for and get back into shape and feel better about myself. I'm not that ot of shape to be fair, but there's definitely room for improvement, something my boyfriend can't understand!!

This started on Saturday when I went to the gym, then I went on Monday then swimming on tuesday then gym on wednesday. I'm gona go again tonight.
    I can totally see a difference alreadY! In such a short space of time I know.. but I've been eating better aswell and I haven't been drinking alcohol.

Typical day now(although I know it could be improved..!):
    bowl of branflakes
    baked low fat crisps
    banana
    sushi or low fat sandwich
    yoghurt
    banana/nutrigrain bar
    smaller portion of dinner with salad and veg

So gym tonight, rest on fri, gym on sat, rest on sun, gym on mon, gym on tues.

Having a short term goal is sooo much easier to aim for :)
  • Options
    I need some motivation. :(
  • Options
    I bought a cross trainer. This is probably my last resort. I hope I can stick with it, it cost me £120 lol. It'd be hell of a waste if I don't use it.
  • Options
    I spent 500 on a cross trainer for it to sit in my bedroom doing nothing

I got injured, she got bad pregnancy - so crap

Its still got 6 month warranty I may sell it and buy a bike for the bedroom instead as I can manage that

I'm still lifting iron, just pretending the pain isn't there! Started dieting a couple of weeks ago and dropped a few lbs already

Reckon I want to lose 2 stone of fat - so giving myself 3-6 months to do it

Erg, it's going to be HARD LONG WORK!:yes:

Never mind, chest & bis tomorrow - yay for the pump!
  • Options
    I have not been in here for ages!

Im starting to do my 2/3 mile runs with about 4.5kg of weight in a backpack on my back, which at first fooked me up, but im getting used to it now. I still go for my long & slow jog/runs, but my bike riding is getting a lot more action.

Though i was pretty calm yesterday, i took a woman out to the cinema last night, so understandably busy (and no not like that before you say anything)
  • Options
    lacrymosa wrote: »

Want to lose a good few pounds this week

Unbelievable stupidly unrealistic target. :yeees: :rolleyes:

Also, putting on a few pounds in one week. :no: :banghead:
  • Options
    Why is it? I've lost a few pounds in a week before? Lots of people do? 3 or 4 pounds isn't that unrealistic?

Oh, and I have put on a few pounds this past week...put on 3 so it is possible :p

People with a lot of excess weight to lose, will lose a fairly large amount fairly quickly. You have next to nothing to lose, and so it's just not going to happen.

To actually put on 3lbs, you will need to consume SO much excess food (as in to the point of gluttony), that it is just beyond unlikely. My weight fluctuates by that amount DAILY, dependant on food/liquid intake/expulsion etc etc. This will be what is happening with you. If you've eaten some stuff at a BBQ (namely meat/bread, which is heavy), that is still gonna be in your system, and so will be distorting measurements.

You're just going to ignore this anyway, so I'm not going to bother any more. You been told this information many times.
  • Options
    I've called in sick today so I'm gonna proper go for it at the gym

I would also say that this is completely unacceptable as well....................
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote: »
    I would also say that this is completely unacceptable as well....................

Yup - sort it out.
  • Options
    Not good enough. If you're off sick, you're sick. You should NOT be hitting the gym at all if you're not well enough to go and sit in an office. It will not help your recovery in the slightest.
  • Options
    g_angel wrote: »
    Not good enough. If you're off sick, you're sick. You should NOT be hitting the gym at all if you're not well enough to go and sit in an office. It will not help your recovery in the slightest.

I could also potentially be fatal
  • Options
    To be fair there are lots of illnesses where someone might unable to do there job or it might be inappropriate for whatever reason but they would still be able to work out. In the same way that there are things which might mean you couldn't work out but you could still go to the gym.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    To be fair there are lots of illnesses where someone might unable to do there job or it might be inappropriate for whatever reason but they would still be able to work out. In the same way that there are things which might mean you couldn't work out but you could still go to the gym.

Yes, but we know 100% this wasn't the case this time.
  • Options
    lol

Well I think you could easily put a few lbs on in a week, I do it all the time

It's even easier if you have been good and then you hit the carbs and sugar big time, lots of water weight coupled with some nice fat gains.

On the other hand, losing 2lbs per week for a person with spare fat is reasonable.

But I have to agree on one point, you don't have much to you, so it will come off very slowly.

I'm trying to lose fat and bulk out at the same time - the joy of a come back, working so far, but I may need to drop the cals in a few weeks if it doesn't come off faster!

Good luck anyway Stace.
  • Options
    It would be worth laying off the gym for a while, just considering your chest condition - don't want to put your body and breathing under too much pressure till that's cleared up :)
  • Options
    It would be worth laying off the gym for a while, just considering your chest condition - don't want to put your body and breathing under too much pressure till that's cleared up :)
    I agree.
  • Options
    lol

Well I think you could easily put a few lbs on in a week, I do it all the time

It's even easier if you have been good and then you hit the carbs and sugar big time, lots of water weight coupled with some nice fat gains.

I disagree on the water retention point - that is not 'weight gain', as you'll just pee it away over the next day or two - hardly difficult to account for.

Also, I did say that somebody with excess weight will indeed find it easy to shift fat. :)

I am currently following a Turbulence Training plan, and by God it's effective. I had very little to lose anyway, but know just by look and feel that I have dropped another % of bodyfat or two. I need to find my calipers, they're in a box somewhere as I just moved house.
  • Options
    Well I lost 5lb this week :D
  • Options
    Curvy_lass wrote: »
    Well I lost 5lb this week :D

respect!
  • Options
    Thanking you ;):D
  • Options
    I have been at my new gym for 2 weeks now, it is really hard but coz there is the one to one trainer I am sooo stubbon and refuse to give up, I have notice slight difference I need to sort my eating out now thou, am finding it difficult to find time to cook!

Not focused on weight loss, more inch loss, clothes do feel a lil bit looser. Wont know if I have lost inches till 2moz thou!
  • Options
    I jogged 3/4 of a mile today which is apparently double of what I did last time :) The only thing I worry about is that the pavements are so bumpy and uneven where I live..it makes it quite hard.
  • Options
    Mmmm. I think g_angel might have been right about the water retention as I've lost the 3lbs I put on over the weekend and another 1lb since yesterday.

The flucuations are mostly caused by the short term energy supplies. The body can store energy short term as glycogen in the liver, glycogen is water soluble so if you have a bit of extra "short" term energy from a recent meal for example you can seem to weigh more than it would make sense to weigh given what you've eaten. To gain just 1lb of bodily tissue i.e. fat or muscle you need to consume about an extra 3,000 KCal and also to lose 1lb of fat or muscle you need to have 3,000 KCal under the required energy requirements (so if someone eats 500 KCal less per day than the amount needed to stay the same weight it will take about 6 days to lose 1lb). This is part of the reason that people lose or gain weight quickly in the first week or so of new eating habits, it's just the glycogen and water in the liver.

I just thought I'd post that as it has helped me to know it and I don't remember learning it at school, I just read it recently :)