Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The 'Weightloss and increased fitness' thread.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I have lost 3 llb this week I am ever so impressed and will keep up with the excercise and healthy eating.
  • Options
    Made it to the gym yesterday for the first time since missing a couple of weeks (due mostly to physical illness). I had to bribe myself with chocolate but I do feel better for having been. It's definately much easier for me to keep doing things than to take a break and try to get back into it. I'm aching today but at least it's a satisfying reminder that yesterday I left the house and went to the gym :thumb:
  • Options
    I did squats after my ride to work yesterday. :D I then rode home this morning and it was wet and a bit straining due to the whole night shift thing so now walking up the stairs here at home is a challenge. ;)

I've also started a 100 pushups in 6 weeks plan. I'm pretty excited about it. I'm edging my way towards strength training again. ;)

Messed my eating up this weekend but now I'm back with a vengeance.
  • Options
    Went to pilates tonight again, it sounds strange but sometimes it feels so good to stretch. Does anyone know if gyms offer one to one training rather than a full gym membership? I want to find out if I can get some extra help for my half marathon training.
  • Options
    Yesterday I went swimming, did an 8 hour shift at work running about then managed half an hour in gym when I finished.

Knackered when I got home like.

Today just doing a gym sesh at half 10, hopefully about an hour. Oh got to walk the dog too :)
  • Options
    xsazx wrote: »
    How close are you to Dartford? I could possibly get you assistance from staff at my Dad's gym (council run) if that would help?

my gym routines out the window since school broke up :( argh work experience is a pain in the neck!

Quite a long train ride I think..though I've never been to Dartford! Gillingham in Kent..
  • Options
    xsazx wrote: »
    bout half hours train away, Dartford's about 10min drive from Bluewater.

Shout if it would help though I'm sure I could rope an instructor into helping (Kerry's just completed the full marathon herself, and the council ran a half marathon on Sunday as part of the festival so they should be able to help

Yeah if you could just find out about it and how much it would cost. That would be really great :) Thank you!
  • Options
    Right so, I've been thinking and I read somewhere that if you lose weight slowly, you're more likely to keep it off... why is that?

I was thinking about this because I've only managed to lose 2.8lbs in 4 weeks, so I'm thinking, okay so it's very slow weightloss, but I suppose it would be more permanent than if I was to lose 2lbs every week? Hmm.
  • Options
    Right so, I've been thinking and I read somewhere that if you lose weight slowly, you're more likely to keep it off... why is that?

I was thinking about this because I've only managed to lose 2.8lbs in 4 weeks, so I'm thinking, okay so it's very slow weightloss, but I suppose it would be more permanent than if I was to lose 2lbs every week? Hmm.

Is it something to do with losing weight fast makes your body think its starving so will put weight on at the next opportunity, where as if you lose it slowly your body starts to think of your new weight as normal

That sounds like an 8 year old explained it lol :blush:
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »
    Is it something to do with losing weight fast makes your body think its starving so will put weight on at the next opportunity, where as if you lose it slowly your body starts to think of your new weight as normal

That sounds like an 8 year old explained it lol :blush:

yup very true :yes:
    (and a simple straight to the point answer ;) )

from around january for about 6 weeks, i 'basically' starved myself in order to lose weight fast - and in those 6 weeks i lost about a stone and a half.
    obviously, i couldnt keep up with the whole not eating thing, and when i started eating again the weight all piled back on again. and then some :(
    i dont recommend it.

slow is the way to do it :) can be frustrating though. i only lost half a pound last week - when i was expecting/hoping to lose more like 2! ah well
  • Options
    I have stayed the same this week, despite healthy eating and exercise but I dont mind I know it will come off soon I am doing all the right things.
  • Options
    Improving my work outs

Right. I've been working out since March now having started from pretty much complete beginner level. I want to ask now how I can 'improve' my work out as I know that I've been improving and now I'm not sure how to best change things to keep improving. I have added a few things in to my original programme but it seems mostly to be getting longer rather than harder. Am I right in thinking that I should be working out 'better' rather than 'longer'? So like how does that mean? Like increasing the levels and speeds and weights or the number of sets? For getting fitter is it silly to do a further distance, should I just be trying to do the same distance quicker? Or the same amount of time but more distance?

Also, I'm getting really into stretching. Any tips for more advanced stretching?

Overall I'm not very fit, I'm not very strong either but I do have good flexibility.
  • Options
    Right, I had a session with one of the personal trainers at the gym today and I've got a new programme all sorted. It's so good to see how far I'm come in fitness and strength since I started back in March. I don't consider myself to be fit now by any stretch of the imagination but looking back to when I started with all this I really can see such an improvement.
  • Options
    Woohoo!!

1 Stone Lighter :D:D
  • Options
    Great job Curvy lass! Fun isn't it? :D

I've shed a similar amount so far this summer and shopping is starting to be a dangerous venture because I keep finding stuff that looks amazing on me! Just today I bought a dress. And two tops. Eek!

I became friends with a really fit gymrat recently and it's driving me mad I want to do weights so bad now. I just know that it'll be more fun if I lose more weight. I want those muscles to be seen. :thumb:

However, I did squats today (3x10) and it absolutely killed my legs. Which was unfortunate as I had a dance lesson later on. I can feel my legs will be stupidly sore tomorrow. Yep, I'm going to need to put some work into getting to where I stopped this spring!
  • Options
    Well done Curvy Lass, how long has it taken you and if you don't mind me being nosey how much more do you want to lose ?

I have lost 9llb so far and its a long trek for me as I need to lose at least another 3 and a half hopefully 4 and a half stone !
  • Options
    Jaloux wrote: »
    Great job Curvy lass! Fun isn't it? :D

I've shed a similar amount so far this summer and shopping is starting to be a dangerous venture because I keep finding stuff that looks amazing on me! Just today I bought a dress. And two tops. Eek!

I became friends with a really fit gymrat recently and it's driving me mad I want to do weights so bad now. I just know that it'll be more fun if I lose more weight. I want those muscles to be seen. :thumb:

However, I did squats today (3x10) and it absolutely killed my legs. Which was unfortunate as I had a dance lesson later on. I can feel my legs will be stupidly sore tomorrow. Yep, I'm going to need to put some work into getting to where I stopped this spring!

You do know that a well structured weights workout will burn fat/calories far more effectively than most other exercise...
  • Options
    Ok im doing about 1.5 miles, twice and sometimes three times a day now. Not at a fast pace, just a steady one.

How long is this going to take to get super fit :(
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    Ok im doing about 1.5 miles, twice and sometimes three times a day now. Not at a fast pace, just a steady one.

How long is this going to take to get super fit :(

To get super fit you have to really push yourself. Changing distances, aiming to beat previous times, throwing intervals in there, hill training etc.

If you're just plodding along doing the same old thing, then your body will just get used to it and you won't progress much at all. The body does not react well to doing the same thing over and over if you're looking to improve yourself. All you'll find is that you will find the 1.5 mile distance gets easier, but if you then decided to go for a 5 mile run, your body will tire not long after the distance you have effectively trained it for. Simply put, you're not going to get super fit doing what you are now.

1.5 miles is not a long way at all. I'm guessing that will take you approx 10 minutes? You should be building up to an hour of running in one block. There are plenty of training plans for running etc etc on the internet. Do some googling :)
  • Options
    g_angel wrote: »
    You do know that a well structured weights workout will burn fat/calories far more effectively than most other exercise...

Yeah I do know that. I'm however not working on losing weight through exercise, my main focus is diet. I do all the cardio based stuff because I need exercise to stay in good physical health (back problems).

I've read a lot about this and most sources say focus on losing weight, then lift. Or lift and eat at a deficit but don't expect to get stronger.

So far what I'm doing is working and if I keep it up I can enjoy the gym even more once I do return. The finish line is almost in sight now. :)
  • Options
    Jaloux wrote: »
    Yeah I do know that. I'm however not working on losing weight through exercise, my main focus is diet. I do all the cardio based stuff because I need exercise to stay in good physical health (back problems).

I've read a lot about this and most sources say focus on losing weight, then lift. Or lift and eat at a deficit but don't expect to get stronger.

So far what I'm doing is working and if I keep it up I can enjoy the gym even more once I do return. The finish line is almost in sight now. :)

Sounds fair enough :)
  • Options
    To get super fit you have to really push yourself. Changing distances, aiming to beat previous times, throwing intervals in there, hill training etc.

If you're just plodding along doing the same old thing, then your body will just get used to it and you won't progress much at all. The body does not react well to doing the same thing over and over if you're looking to improve yourself. All you'll find is that you will find the 1.5 mile distance gets easier, but if you then decided to go for a 5 mile run, your body will tire not long after the distance you have effectively trained it for. Simply put, you're not going to get super fit doing what you are now.

1.5 miles is not a long way at all. I'm guessing that will take you approx 10 minutes? You should be building up to an hour of running in one block. There are plenty of training plans for running etc etc on the internet. Do some googling :)

Believe me im trying to continually break my last time for doing the 1.5 miles. Every time i do it!

I do longer runs as well, but i save them for the weekend.
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    Believe me im trying to continually break my last time for doing the 1.5 miles. Every time i do it!

I do longer runs as well, but i save them for the weekend.

U-huh, but you say you run at a steady pace. It doesn't sound like you're pushing yourself at all.

You need to mix it up, different routes, distances etc.

Basically what I have already written.
  • Options
    Well done Curvy Lass, how long has it taken you and if you don't mind me being nosey how much more do you want to lose ?

I have lost 9llb so far and its a long trek for me as I need to lose at least another 3 and a half hopefully 4 and a half stone !
    5 weeks it took me hun :)

I've got another 5 stones to get into the higher end of a healthy BMI for my height and 6 stones to shed to be in the lower end of the healthy BMI for height. It's gonna be a long slog but I'm in it for the long haul!
  • Options
    Hey all, just started working out today. Bought a Pro-Form 450-HR Cross Trainer to help me out, just after doing half an hour on it there. I think its enough for my first time on it. Im also doing press ups, stretching exerciese etc. Im about two stone over weight so I gave up drinking and im really going to set my mind to this. Can anyone recommened a good diet thats not over the top bearing in mind im trying to loose two stone in the next four months. Is that possiable? thanks in advance.:thumb:
  • Options
    U-huh, but you say you run at a steady pace. It doesn't sound like you're pushing yourself at all.

You need to mix it up, different routes, distances etc.

Basically what I have already written.

Im running at a steady pace and varying the terrain, the extra runs im doing is more so to prepare me for the onslaught of continued effort in the months to comes.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Well, I got wii fit the other day (can't afford a gym really so I thought it would be worth the cost -but that's not the subject here).

The results worry me a bit. It measures your weight as well, and it said a "good" target would be to lose 1.4 kgs (apparently that's "3 lb and 1.38 oz") in 2 weeks, but I've lost that much in 3 days.
    I do weigh myself at roughly the same time each day, and my diet hasn't changed. The program suggested I might be pushing myself too much, but I don't think I am. I do about 30 mins of different stuff a day, and in the end I'm tired (and sweaty) but not so much that I need to sit/lie down or anything (in fact I can go on moving fine).

Do I have reason to worry?
  • Options
    That could be down to something as simple as how much urine your have in your bladder or water in your system.

Best time to do measuring your weight is when you get up first thing on a morning, right after you have been to the toilet.
  • Options
    Well, I got wii fit the other day (can't afford a gym really so I thought it would be worth the cost -but that's not the subject here).

The results worry me a bit. It measures your weight as well, and it said a "good" target would be to lose 1.4 kgs (apparently that's "3 lb and 1.38 oz") in 2 weeks, but I've lost that much in 3 days.
    I do weigh myself at roughly the same time each day, and my diet hasn't changed. The program suggested I might be pushing myself too much, but I don't think I am. I do about 30 mins of different stuff a day, and in the end I'm tired (and sweaty) but not so much that I need to sit/lie down or anything (in fact I can go on moving fine).

Do I have reason to worry?

At first you will lose weight fairly fast, then it comes off slower. The exercise is good but it needs to be combined also with a healthy diet. My own general method is to eat whatever I want but the less healthy foods to eat in lower quantities and a lot of the time I weigh the foods I am eating. I have cut down the portion sizes of a lot of the meals over the last year and that has helped me a lot.

I am also a lot fitter than I used to be. By the way you should do some weights training as well as cardio. This enables you to build muscle as you lose fat. Your weight loss might be lessened even though the fat content goes down because of the muscle you are building.
  • Options
    I'm starting to lose a scary amount of weight again. :(