Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The 'Weightloss and increased fitness' thread.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Thanks Kate, I have managed 2 days of 30 mins now so I am really starting to feel better !

That's great!

Consistency is key! (I am talking from past trials!)

If you can just keep mentally motivated and prepared, in a few months you will be seeing unbelieveable results!

Keep it up, well done!
  • Options
    Just wondering, but has anyone else had the following problem:
    Last year, I became quite ill and lost a lot of weight. (which was aprtly the doctors fault for putting me on something he shouldn't have done) So anway, after about December, I stopped losing weight and now I can't stop gaining weight. Yet, I've not changed my eating habits at all and am not eating any more than normal. (probably less)
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    Last year, I became quite ill and lost a lot of weight. (which was aprtly the doctors fault for putting me on something he shouldn't have done) So anway, after about December, I stopped losing weight and now I can't stop gaining weight. Yet, I've not changed my eating habits at all and am not eating any more than normal. (probably less)

What is 'normal'?
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »

When I lost about 10lbs last year due to depression I got a bit thin but when I got better and my eating improved my weight returned to my 'normal' weight (I use 'normal' here to mean the weight that I have maintained for a few years before this which is within a healthy range of bmi) I didn't have to try to put the weight back on in a deliberate way but I just ate more than I had been eating when I was very depressed. I was a bit worried that I would just keep gaining and gaining and end up very much bigger than I originally was but actually my body just gained weight until it returned to it's previous (healthy) weight and then it leveled out and I maintained my 'normal' weight until another cycle of depression began earlier this year.

Have you returned to your original weight and gained weight beyond that? Or are you just worried that the gain won't stop when you reach that point?

Was the meds something that could have messed with your metabolism? Or just your appetite?
  • Options
    Okay, so I've been on weightwatchers for one week. Had my weigh in and I lost half a fricking pound. I'm livid.

I did 17 points worth of exercise and had 12 points banked for the week which I didn't eat. So how the hell have I only lost half a fricking pound? :mad:
  • Options
    I wouldn't worry about it in the first week Ilora, it could be fluid retention of your body adjusting to the new routine, you will find that some weeks you will lose more than you expect others you will stay the same weight and occasionally put on.

I get weighed every week but look at my overall weight loss over a month.

I have just started again and lost 4llb last week which I totally didnt expect, my friend at work who had been really good actually put 2llb on.
  • Options
    Okay, so I've been on weightwatchers for one week. Had my weigh in and I lost half a fricking pound. I'm livid.

I did 17 points worth of exercise and had 12 points banked for the week which I didn't eat. So how the hell have I only lost half a fricking pound? :mad:

A very usefull tip I have heard from many members of ww is to make sure you eat all the points, including activity points and the flex points given to you each week. Not eating enough can definatly hinder your weight loss.
  • Options
    A very usefull tip I have heard from many members of ww is to make sure you eat all the points, including activity points and the flex points given to you each week. Not eating enough can definatly hinder your weight loss.
    I couldn't possibly eat that much food! I have 18 points a day and with breakfast lunch and dinner end up with 3 points left over, and do 4 points worth of exercise every other day... I can't eat that much!!!
  • Options
    45Mins of caning it on the bike

then a quick paced 15 minute run

Man i feel fooked!
  • Options
    I'm pretty pleased, I've lost close to 12 pounds since 10th June. :) I'm starting to feel so much more streamlined.

I kinda miss hitting the gym proper but I want to focus on losing the weight for now and then hopefully I'll be ready this autumn. I've not given up on mastering the pull up! The weight loss should help with that. :p

I've also been biking and swimming regularly and I love it. It's starting to be fun climbing hills, mountain biking is definitely my cup of tea. :D
  • Options
    I cant remember the last time i weighed myself, but since then i have lost 3.5kg/7.7llbs
  • Options
    It says on my pedometer I just ran 0.66 of a mile. I was jogging for 20 mins. I am training for the half marathon and go jogging twice a week. Admittedly this obviously isn't enough because the half marathon is in October. Am I gonna die?
  • Options
    I couldn't possibly eat that much food! I have 18 points a day and with breakfast lunch and dinner end up with 3 points left over, and do 4 points worth of exercise every other day... I can't eat that much!!!

You really have to eat all of your points. It's hard to at first but you will see results.
  • Options
    It says on my pedometer I just ran 0.66 of a mile. I was jogging for 20 mins. I am training for the half marathon and go jogging twice a week. Admittedly this obviously isn't enough because the half marathon is in October. Am I gonna die?

You are seriously going to have to start training harder than that for a half marathon if you want to finish it without walking the whole distance.

Your pedometer is wrong. You can WALK a mile in 15 minutes, never mind jog 0.66 of a mile in 20 minutes. Ignore the stupid thing, plan some routes and attempt to either increase distance or achieve a faster time each run you do.

A half marathon is not a light undertaking. I'm in good shape, but I'm not half marathon fit as it's not what I have been training for. Even at my current fitness level, I would allow myself two months to get to a level I feel I would be able to complete the half marathon without dying.

I would suggest training 3-4 times a week. Google some half marathon training plans.

:)
  • Options
    g_angel wrote: »
    You are seriously going to have to start training harder than that for a half marathon if you want to finish it without walking the whole distance.

Your pedometer is wrong. You can WALK a mile in 15 minutes, never mind jog 0.66 of a mile in 20 minutes. Ignore the stupid thing, plan some routes and attempt to either increase distance or achieve a faster time each run you do.

A half marathon is not a light undertaking. I'm in good shape, but I'm not half marathon fit as it's not what I have been training for. Even at my current fitness level, I would allow myself two months to get to a level I feel I would be able to complete the half marathon without dying.

Yeah I think the pedometer is a pile of shit too. I only bought it to encourage me and to judge roughly how far I am running. I am steadily increasing it but it doesn't seem enough. Where I live it's mostly blocks rather than one long road that I can just continually jog. Do you know any types or actual places in/around Kent or even London that is a good training route?
  • Options
    Sorry for double post. I think I've had a eureka moment.

I've planned a route using http://runthere.com that will take me upto 2.15 miles.

I've also planned a second route that will be an increase and that takes me up to 4.14 miles.

I really like the website!
  • Options
    Yeah there's some good sites out there for route planners etc.

Man I have had about 1 1/2 weeks off the wagon and undid about 3 out of my 4 weeks of dieting and hard work lol

I put some more timber on but got the fat back too! lol

At least my strength is flying up..

start dieting again tomorrow
  • Options
    xsazx wrote: »
    Are you close to bluewater? they organise 4km runs every saturday which could be motivating and the surroundings are lovely to run though
    http://www.sherunsheruns.co.uk/timetrial_runnerinfo.htm << linkage

Yeah actually I am. That's a great idea :) Thankyou!

I just ran 1.51 miles. I kept stopping and starting which is pretty much evidence of how unfit I am but I did it. I'm going to carry on that route and then move it up to another one I can do which will be 2.15 miles.
  • Options
    Well done Clementine, you will do it if you stay commited.

I am really proud of myself because I have stayed on track and have used the cross trainer every day other than one day at the weekend which I am allowing myself off every week and not one bit of chocolate or sugary rubbish has passed my lips.

Hopefully this week it will show on the scales.
  • Options
    Went to pilates class tonight. Was actually okay. I'm a bit un-co-ordinated but I could do most of the moves and think it stretched me literally. Will be going back again next Tues. I just need to buy me a mat...the towel kept slipping.
  • Options
    http://www.mapmyrun.com/

is what i use for mapping my runs, you can set it to follow and lock onto roads precisely.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    If you have a mega fancy Nokia phone you can use http://sportstracker.nokia.com.
  • Options
    I love exercise!

I've been feeling pretty frustrated and mad since the weekend and in some fit of self torture I decided to bike to night shift. I pedalled fast and furiously and was soaked in sweat. I have avoided biking to night shifts because my energy levels are a mess in the mornings but the ride home wasn't so bad. The sun was out and I just took my time, thinking about my soft nice bed.

I'm so glad I did this, I'm mellow again. ;)
  • Options
    Do you ever go to the Blue Lagoon to chill out?

Was soooooooooooooooo nice.
  • Options
    It's been quite some time since I last went. I've been thinking I need to go sometime soon but it hasn't been happening.

I often go to the local pool though. Swim and chill in the jacuzzi. It affects the hair less. ;)
  • Options
    Hahaha, aye, true.

I was horrifically hungover when I went there the other week. Got in the spa and I felt like a million dollars. Typically, as soon as I got OUT of the spa and dressed again, I felt like crap, once again.
  • Options
    Buying a cross trainer is definitely the best £120 I've ever spent. I've lost 2.5lbs in 2 weeks (first week was a slow week) and I'm actually becoming so much more energetic!! I've upped my time on the CT and I'm now doing it pretty much every day! Wooot.
  • Options
    Buying a cross trainer is definitely the best £120 I've ever spent. I've lost 2.5lbs in 2 weeks (first week was a slow week) and I'm actually becoming so much more energetic!! I've upped my time on the CT and I'm now doing it pretty much every day! Wooot.

Its only a good buy if you keep it up. For example £120 gets me 6 months gym membership where I get to use everything and all the classes and swimming.

Anyways...

I need to get back into it. Although I havent put any weight back on I've been eating anything I want. Ha I'm bloody hungry writing this but tough.

Need to get excercising again too and start being careful with the alcohol consumption again.

Its easy writing this the hard part is doing it. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    kate- wrote: »
    Its only a good buy if you keep it up. For example £120 gets me 6 months gym membership where I get to use everything and all the classes and swimming.
    Yes, but for me, a gym membership is useless, as the only machine I'm allowed on is the cross trainer as it's non-weight bearing. It'd be a complete waste of time, money and effort because for me, I'm not a gym-bunny, I have have and I never will and it would just be a fad (which I did 2 months ago - joined virgin active and went twice!).
  • Options
    Today I signed up to take hip hop classes starting next week. :yippe: Dead excited I've wanted to do some sort of dance lessons for ages now.

I also biked around a lake today which took me an hour and a half. A large part on uneven ground with climbing and descending and stuff. I love this stuff, although some idiot on a motorcross bike had to overtake me really close when there was shitload of empty road for him. :impissed: I think some of those twats deliberately try to ruin the reputation for all others, I've tried my best to defend them in the past as most are respectful but this sort of stuff is just grrr.

I'm feeling really proud of myself. :D Although.... I'm gagging to return to the gym. I took a gym vacation to cut down on food as I've wanted to shed more weight so building muscle will be visible in the future. ;) It's working and I'm feeling fitter than I have for a long time, I think that's what making me want to push myself even harder. It's a different high to hit the gym proper than bike and swim. Soon...