Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The 'Weightloss and increased fitness' thread.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    lacrymosa wrote: »
    Mmmm. I think g_angel might have been right about the water retention as I've lost the 3lbs I put on over the weekend and another 1lb since yesterday.

I don't just post information to wind you up, you know (well, not in this thread anyway :D )! Perhaps you will realise this a bit more now...
  • Options
    Fat
  • Options
    I have lost half an inch off my waist in 3 weeks, not alot but im still chuffed am gonna sort my eating out this week so hopefully i see a bigger loss!
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    The flucuations are mostly caused by the short term energy supplies. The body can store energy short term as glycogen in the liver, glycogen is water soluble so if you have a bit of extra "short" term energy from a recent meal for example you can seem to weigh more than it would make sense to weigh given what you've eaten. To gain just 1lb of bodily tissue i.e. fat or muscle you need to consume about an extra 3,000 KCal and also to lose 1lb of fat or muscle you need to have 3,000 KCal under the required energy requirements (so if someone eats 500 KCal less per day than the amount needed to stay the same weight it will take about 6 days to lose 1lb). This is part of the reason that people lose or gain weight quickly in the first week or so of new eating habits, it's just the glycogen and water in the liver.

I just thought I'd post that as it has helped me to know it and I don't remember learning it at school, I just read it recently :)

Good post, and accurate.
  • Options
    and well done kate and a forgotten angel!:D
  • Options
    Well done on the weight loss, I have been really bad for months and have eventually got back on the wagon as of Monday and have lost 2llb this week, I need to get into a regular excersise and eating plan and stick to it this time.
  • Options
    I've just had a nice workout at the gym. I can actually feel myself getting a bit fitter than I was which is nice. I've put some of the weights I do up now too which must show I'm getting a bit stronger. And I'm much more 'gym-confident' now than when I started going back in March. I really like the central YMCA gym that I've been going to :)
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    I've just had a nice workout at the gym. I can actually feel myself getting a bit fitter than I was which is nice. I've put some of the weights I do up now too which must show I'm getting a bit stronger. And I'm much more 'gym-confident' now than when I started going back in March. I really like the central YMCA gym that I've been going to :)

Yep, when you start feeling yourself getting fitter or lifting those higher weights its a buzz!

Last week I cracked through a weight on dumbbell bench press and then this week did the same with the next weights up- weird! But it was a great feeling.

Even though it's basically half of what I used to lift! lol

I hope the rest of it keeps coming back that quick :D
  • Options
    Yep, it's official. I'm joining weight watchers.
  • Options
    i know what I say probably won't make a difference but you putting that weight on is a good thing.
  • Options
    lacrymosa wrote: »
    Good for you!

I'm gonna start a proper diet tomorrow...full of veggies and fruit and wholegrain/wholemeal stuff.

Want to lose this weight I've put on :yuck:

Its good as my boyfriend wants to give up alcohol and be really healthy for a month before we go to Venice so its going to be easy! :D

What concerns me is that for the last few days in the "what have you eaten" thread, it seems that you are eating nothing but fruit through the day anyway, so I don't see exactly how you are going to lose weight by changing your diet to eating what you should be eating anyway... :yeees:
  • Options
    Yep, it's official. I'm joining weight watchers.
    Good decision. I'm finding its working well for me, the structure is just what I needed. I know my limits now with WW! And I've even got my flatmates reeling off points values and keeping tabs on me ;):D
  • Options
    I was planning on going for my jog tonight and I walked fast and started to run but my knees suddenly felt really sore. Almost like they were out of place? They weren't clicking so I knew that they weren't also I would have noticed it earlier if they were. I've been walking around today just to go into town and I hadn't noticed any pain. I couldn't jog because it hurt too much so I just tried to walk in a fast paced way around the block to see if it would improve but it hasn't.

Could my knees be damaged?

I was planning on jogging the length and back home tonight of a very long road near where I live so am quite disappointed!
  • Options
    Have you been doing warm ups and stretching before setting off?

I don't know much about exercising (I'm quite possibly the laziest person alive!) but my bf and a colleague at work always do stretches before setting off on a run.
  • Options
    By stretches I started off on a fast paced walk and kinda stretched my legs while doing it..ahh.. Maybe that isn't sufficient enough. I'm clueless too unfortunately. I'm a bit concerned that it wasn't because I was wearing the right sort of trainers? I don't know how valid that would be.
  • Options
    It took me a couple of weeks of short jogs/runs before i didnt ache right after!
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    It took me a couple of weeks of short jogs/runs before i didnt ache right after!

I don't really ache after. It was at least 24 hours after my last jog so this was before anything actually happened. Doh :grump: :grump:
  • Options
    I'm cacking my knickers at the thought of weighing in tomorrow :(
  • Options
    Finally weighed myself today and I'm just under 9stone WITH clothes on :P

so

I move to Gib on Tuesday so hoping to have signed up to gym/leisure centre by the weekend. Want to tone and get down to 8 and a half at least.

Have also just tried to figure out my BMI which can be pretty difficult when I'm not sure how high I am BUT I think it works out around 20 which they say is healthy. So mabye toning up is the way forward and sorting the bits of my body which moi deteste!
  • Options
    Gym sesh all morning, walked the dog and now I'm to work where I'll no doubt be running about :D
  • Options
    Ah guys, I needn't have worried, I lost 1lb :D
  • Options
    24 hours later clementine, suggests your doing it the same time the next day.

I usually leave 48 hours between, ie every other day for a good run/jog. gives your body time to recover.
  • Options
    Witty woo, got back from a month in China, and I had unconsciously lost 8 pounds :) I would like to lose another half a stone though.

Have never dieted before, but am pretty healthy, and excercise regularly already.

Atm im hitting the gym/pool for an hour every other day and eating around 1500 calories a day. I also walk to and from work (5 miles altogether there and back). Anyone got any tips to help me improve my regime? Any ideas of how long it would take me to reach my goal weight? xx
  • Options
    talia wrote: »
    Witty woo, got back from a month in China, and I had unconsciously lost 8 pounds :) I would like to lose another half a stone though.

Have never dieted before, but am pretty healthy, and excercise regularly already.

Atm im hitting the gym/pool for an hour every other day and eating around 1500 calories a day. I also walk to and from work (5 miles altogether there and back). Anyone got any tips to help me improve my regime? Any ideas of how long it would take me to reach my goal weight? xx

Speak to one of the trainers at the gym, and start pushing heavy weights. Don't let them mess you around with some silly little pink dumbells - you should really feel yourself working hard.

Avoid low intensity cardio - it's not worth 10% of the time it's allocated (mainly by women) in workout routines.

Ask your trainer about HIIT training (and google it).

Post a typical day's food, and we'll see what we can do about improving your diet. Diet is the most important thing.

Personally, I think you should try shifting your goals from a target weight, to losing bodyfat or inches from any measurements (hips, thighs, tum) etc as they are fat more effective ways of seeing progress.
  • Options
    To be honest I would say that post above is an over complicated approach to start with.

1500 calories input minus the cardio/exercise is a good base to work from IMO.

If you are running at about minus 3500 cals per week you should see a loss of about a pound - so maybe 7/8 weeks for your goal ?

Monitor it and adjust accordingly.

of course if your goal is to improve physique then yes you will need to lift weights.

But depending what exercise you're doing, the girly pink dumbbells may be very handy !

Low intensity cardio is good on an empty stomach (pre breakfast) if you are doing weight training as well and want to maintain mass
  • Options
    Average day - bowl of muesli and with piece of fruit for breakfast, large bowl of soup and a sandwich for lunch, fruit or cheese and oatcakes or something in the afternoon and a curry or stirfry for dinner. When I say curry I mean a healthy homemade one not a shitty takeaway. And every other days I treat myself to a big bowl of ice cream or something. I do sometimes fall off the wagon and snack - digestive biscuits and cheese are my downfall.

As exercise goes, at the moment I walk around 6 miles a day, and every other day hit the crosstrainer, alternated with swimming, cycling and rowing, normally burning 500 - 600 cals each session, my heartbeat at about 150-160 bpm so I wouldn't say it was particularly low intensity cardio.

I have been pretty fit for about a year, so I'm not too fussed about 'toning up'. However, I'm moving gym in a couple of weeks, so I'll probably get back in the weights room then. I do like it, and not a fan of the pink weights I must say - I like to proper go for it :)
  • Options
    I have got back on the wagon and lost 4llb this week, I have been eating healthily and managing 25 mins a day on the cross trainer.

Only another 4 and a half stone to go !!
  • Options
    I have got back on the wagon and lost 4llb this week, I have been eating healthily and managing 25 mins a day on the cross trainer.

Only another 4 and a half stone to go !!

Congrats :yippe:
  • Options
    I have been doing regular exercise in the gym at work for the last few months and also reduced by diet to some extent although I haven't been "dietting" as such, just cutting down in some areas.

Anyway I have lost about a stone in weight in the 8 months since I joined the gym.

If I can repeat this over the next year then I will have effectively gone down to a healthy weight for my height and my age.

I am all one for reasonably slow progress and for mild cut-downs rather than wholesale dietary changes, and also for regular exercise.
  • Options
    Thanks Kate, I have managed 2 days of 30 mins now so I am really starting to feel better !