Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The 'Weightloss and increased fitness' thread.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Report how you see fit here guys.

Perhaps share your targets, how you're aiming to achieve these targets and perhaps share your ongoing progress.

It's a friendly, fun and non-judgemental thread to allow each of us in a similar situation to support one another.

Enjoy :)

Comments

• Options
    I am in, I started changing my lifestyle last week and have a whole year mapped out in stages of every 3 months. I have mini targets to get to and hopefully will have lost 3-4 stone by next new year.
  • Options
    i'm in too, hoping this will be really helpful and inspiring!

so here's the ugly bit.... i'm kim and i am a foodaholic. Currently weigh around 14stones and 8lbs and i am hoping to lose at least two stones as an initial target.

My plan of action is to go to the gym at least 3 times a week combined with low fat eating a la Rosemary Conley.
  • Options
    I get weighed tomorrow and I am hoping to have lost a pound or two. Will let you all know though.
  • Options
    Great thread, it will be really good to give and recieve encouragement and have a positive spin towards training and weight on the forum.

I personally am 2 weeks post-surgery, in the worst shape I have been in a very long time.

By that I am mean I am the fattest for 6-8 years (!!!) if ever, weaker than a year ago, smaller than a year ago, about 1 1/2 stone of muscle mass down lol and unfit.. and PISSED OFF!

I used to do Muay Thai and I they recently moved to a new fighting academy that opened by me so I popped in today and spoke to the owner. It's a primary boxing club with ring, bags and old school training like sledge hammer/lorry tyre, rope climbing etc..

I wil be joining as soon as I am fit from surgery again (about another 4-6 weeks most probs) and I am aiming to lose around 1 1/2 to 2 stone of fat (I estimate this will take around 2-3 months), increase fitness and fighting capability and then slowly add muscle mass again

Although this time I won't be bodybuilding anymroe, just concentrating on fitness and fighting and the aesthetics being a bonus

That's my story anyway lol...
  • Options
    I should be a part of this thread. I'm a bridesmaid in February and bought the dress in June I think, else I would have forgotten. If I can still fit into it I'd be as shocked as anybody, but its winter and I need to store a layer of fat for the hibernation and whats more inticing, irish coffee's and cuddling up on the couch with a giant afghan or going to the gym, walking in the freezing cold and snow because theres never any parking

I did try to work out the other day, but ended up leaving my keys and workout clothes in my car, but had a couple hours until somebody could come get me so I went on the treadmill for a stroll until a got a big ol blister on my heel from my shoes, then went on the bike until my jeans chaffed my ass.

Once the trauma from that experience goes away I might try again!
  • Options
    I should be a part of this thread. I'm a bridesmaid in February and bought the dress in June I think, else I would have forgotten. If I can still fit into it I'd be as shocked as anybody, but its winter and I need to store a layer of fat for the hibernation and whats more inticing, irish coffee's and cuddling up on the couch with a giant afghan or going to the gym, walking in the freezing cold and snow because theres never any parking

I did try to work out the other day, but ended up leaving my keys and workout clothes in my car, but had a couple hours until somebody could come get me so I went on the treadmill for a stroll until a got a big ol blister on my heel from my shoes, then went on the bike until my jeans chaffed my ass.

Once the trauma from that experience goes away I might try again!

..good luck with that..
  • Options
    Nah, the time before I went to the gym my car broke. Evil surrounds the gym!
  • Options
    Nah, the time before I went to the gym my car broke. Evil surrounds the gym!

This may sound crazy, but you could always go for a jog/walk/bike ride without going to the gym:yes:
  • Options
    Not with half a foot of snow and 20mph winds :p Plus I dont' pay th e membership and work out somewhere else. Pay for a hooker and take her to a movie might as well. But I got a really good deal due to an error in the local paper and the prices don't change once you join so if I cancel and decide to join again it'd just be way too much.
  • Options
    So instead of paying the membership and training somewhere else, you pay the membership and don't train at all?:confused:
  • Options
    I get a magazine out of it :p

In all reality though, I go thru bouts. I'll work out most days a week for months at a time, then I'll go months at a time forgetting the place even exists. Usually in freezing winter or freakishly humid summer (mostly because then instead of walking to the door in the freezing cold its driving there in a sauna cuz the car's ac is broke. :p) It averages out. I'm just in need of convincing myself to go in the down time so I don't have to pay a buttload to get a dress taken out. (not to mention the mental anguish that will probably cause :lol: )
  • Options
    It's my first weigh in and I have lost 4llb this week, obviously I don't expect this every week but I am mightly impressed that I have done it.
  • Options
    It's my first weigh in and I have lost 4llb this week, obviously I don't expect this every week but I am mightly impressed that I have done it.

well done!

You are right in thinking the first few weeks are the most dramatic.. but that is still very good..

Keep it up and in just a matter of weeks you'll be visibly seeing the difference!!:thumb:
  • Options
    I need to do this. I stopped my gym membership this year to save money and because I didn't want to be tied into a contract.

I've put on loads of weight since then and I feel horrible. I work in a new job where I sit down for 9 hours a day, which doesn't help, and makes me snack (although I do try to bring in stuff like fruit and nuts/raisins etc)

My effort is going to wait till after Christmas though, there is simply no point in me starting now, and I have no time to commit to anything.

But I want to come back from Poland much slimmer. I think living near the mountains will help a lot!
  • Options
    Kittycat, impressive loss :D
  • Options
    This may sound crazy, but you could always go for a jog/walk/bike ride without going to the gym:yes:

I'm planning to walk to and from my gym on a regular basis - gotta be less boring then walking on a tread mill .. the most I can manage at the gym is 30 minutes before I'm dying of boredom.

So I think it would be better to walk to the gym ..but you look up at the sky and it's always grey and miserable looking and in once sense I don't mind walking to the gym but don't really fancy walking home from it.
  • Options
    I have been on a mission to increase my fitness and strength (and obviously look better naked) since Jan. I wasn't really monitoring my body fat, but it has been dropping (I was skinnyfat to start i.e. small and slim but with a higher percentage of body fat than desired), and I had zero strength to start with, now I enjoy doing the basic powerlifts and I can just about do unassisted pullups (which are bloody hard). At the moment I'm still concentrating on body fat loss, although I seem to be defying a few physiological laws as I'm gaining in strength, even though I wasn't expecting to with my current diet.
  • Options
    Talking of Bodyfat I thought this man's photos were interesting

http://www.naturalphysiques.com/cms/index.php?itemid=144

especially the 3rd pic where he weighs less but looks worse.
  • Options
    That's interesting, I can sypathise with the guy there as when I'm under long-term stress, any fat is always gained around my midsection.
  • Options
    I wanna join in too.

From Jan - July this year I lost a bit of weight and got more fit for my holiday. Ever since I got back I can't be bothered to do anything, and have got lazy with eating too. I've probably only put on about half a stone but I don't like it. It doesn't help that my bf is addicted to takeaways on a weekend.

I haven't been to the gym for a few weeks now :mad: Had so much on with Uni etc just haven't had the time. After Xmas I'm hoping to get back into it.

It's my eating that needs sorting out for now. When I was trying to tone up for my hols all I ate was chicken with rice/pots/pasta plus veg every night and it got boring. I need some more ideas that are more exciting.

Once I book a holiday for next Summer in Jan hopefully that will give me the kick up the arse I need to sort myself out!
  • Options
    Good luck everyone :)

go_away - where do you live? just wondering randomly lol

Anyway, I am still really sore today :( so annoying. I would of been able to start light jogging this week if I hadn't done so much around the house and with the baby it hasn't healed properly yet - grr!:mad:

I will start jogging in less than another week, then about 2 weeks after that I am planning on doing some light weights and bag work, then within 3 weeks after that I will be full training which is when the real results will start to flow

I just can't wait to have something meaningful to update! lol
  • Options
    I've just taken up Yoga again, in persuit of the perfect body; perfect in that I don't creak when I get out of bed in the morning.
    I've also recently taken up using the stepper 20 mins every other day and reducing my food portions.
    Ideally, a loss of about 3 stone would be lovely, but it's going to take time.
  • Options
    You could EASILY do 3 stone in a year, way before that really.. and a year for the rest of your life isn't long really is it? :)

Crack on girl!
  • Options
    Hehe Thanks :) I've been 3 stone overweight since I was 8, so it's not gonna be easy... gonna try though, I've been single for far too long because of it.
  • Options
    cheeseontoast - is it best to use free weights or those machine things?
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote: »
    cheeseontoast - is it best to use free weights or those machine things?

Free weights mate, but make sure you get some help at the beginning with your technique and form as I have had some nasty injuries through training alone :)

Plenty of research online will help too
  • Options
    starting from tomorrow (yes, tomorrow!!! i am going to make sure i do) im going to start eating more healthy and do more exercise

i was really good for 3 weeks up until last thursday, but then something snapped inside me and ive had a massive week binge :( so probably put on all the weight that i lost!!

about 4 years ago i was a size 18, and then within six months i lost 4 stone and went down to a 12 (sometimes a 10)
    somewhere along the line (this febuary to be exact!!) i kindve went a LOT off track and ive probably put about a stone and a half of that weight back on again.

sooo hopefully if i stick with it, ill lose that stone and a half again!!
    if i did it once i can do it again i reckon!!

i plan on walking for at least half an hour brisk walk every day (my mum is doing weightwatchers and does that anyway, so im going to get her to make me go with her!!) plus 4 1 hour sessions of aqua aerobics a week.
    that is more than i did when i was on the healthy kick last time so hopefully ill lose the weight quicker!!
    i really want to fit into all the clothes that i used to :( its depressing to have all these nice clothes and i cant wear them!!
    i mean, im still a size 12 BUT im only 5ft so on me i feel its too big.. id like to get back down to my 8stone :)
    hopeful thinking!!
  • Options
    xsazx wrote: »
    hmm hoping to loose about a stone and get up the gym more as haven't been regulary for ages what with school work etc =] ooo and to sort out my appauling diet would be good too

I think more like gain a stone - You''re already under the recommended weight for your height aren't you?
  • Options
    xsazx wrote: »
    hmm hoping to loose about a stone and get up the gym more as haven't been regulary for ages what with school work etc =] ooo and to sort out my appauling diet would be good too

aren't you like 6 stone already though?
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    aren't you like 6 stone already though?

But she just said she's almost 8 Stone .. :chin:

She's 5'6 so I'd say she need fattening up for xmas