Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The 'Weightloss and increased fitness' thread.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    DG wrote: »
    But she just said she's almost 8 Stone .. :chin:

She's 5'6 so I'd say she need fattening up for xmas

didnt see the other post - still, nearly 8 stone is tiny for 5ft 6. Going up and down like that is so bad for your body though.
  • Options
    I re-joined the gym two weeks ago. I've only been doing classes for now as I haven't done a recent gym induction and they've lost all record of me ever having one before so they won't let me in there yet. I was planing to go three times a week but so far I've only managed to go twice a week but I'm still quite pleased with that. The mix of aerobic exercise verse "body" (that's what they call it - they mean like stretching and sit ups etc) seems a bit out of my control as it depends whats on when I'm free but other than that it's okay.
  • Options
    ive been trying to loose weight for a few months, i started by going swimming 3 times a week and doing my stepper thing at home twice a week and eating healthy but ive sorta slipped back into my old habits past couplea weeks ive beens truggling to find time to get to the pool because its getting very close to two deadlines although thats not a good excuse im just tired and stressed and finding it hard to be motivated so now im undoing all my good work...im going home for the holidays now and i live about 5 minets from a small pool so im planning to go every morning
  • Options
    I've been trying to lose weight since Jan - lost a stone and a half , but I think I'm going to end up putting it all back on - can't find the motivation any more..
    I'd need to lose 2/ 2 and a half stone to be a good weight..
  • Options
    Hows the weekend going slimmers? :D
  • Options
    im drinking beer, I haven't started yet:yippe: :thumb:
  • Options
    Really well, thanks. I have avoided alcohol and when I went to the supermarket I avoided buying anything likely to make me stray off course. Its actually been quite easy as my bloke is really into health and fitness and eats really cleanly and motivates me to stay away from bad things and try healthy things instead.
  • Options
    I started to be healthy last week too. I went to the gym twice for the first time in ages and started to eat more fruit and veg, but things like chips still tempt me. Im currently 12 st 7 (most of it is boobs) and would like to get back down to around 9 stone that I was last year. I am 5 ft 4. I put alot of the weight on over the summer because I broke my scaphoid bone and ended up in plaster for 3 months. As for the gym Im not really sure what is the best things to be doing, I do saome cardio i.e. bike, tread mill and cross trainer and some weights but it is not really structured. Also i would love to get involved with some classes, as they are included in my membership. Any suggestions on how my exercise could be more structured would be brilliant!

thanks

emz
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote: »
    I don't want to lose (with one O, loose it what your clothes are going to be) any weight (it falls off while I'm at work anyway) but I would very much like to get fitter again

Same!

I'm a scrawny wee thing, so don't want to get thinner, but I got a big stylee dressing down from one of my doctors for not exercising enough and making my breathing worse :grump:

I'm not keen on gyms, more of an activity person, but am struggling finding something to do. Running or anything high impact is out, cause I've got bad hips, and have been advised against it. My physio recommended pilates or yoga, but I just find it SO dull I make excuses not to do it. I'm planning to start swimming in the new year, and I ride horses and snowboard now and again when I can afford it, but what else can I do?
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote: »
    Same!

I'm a scrawny wee thing, so don't want to get thinner, but I got a big stylee dressing down from one of my doctors for not exercising enough and making my breathing worse :grump:

I'm not keen on gyms, more of an activity person, but am struggling finding something to do. Running or anything high impact is out, cause I've got bad hips, and have been advised against it. My physio recommended pilates or yoga, but I just find it SO dull I make excuses not to do it. I'm planning to start swimming in the new year, and I ride horses and snowboard now and again when I can afford it, but what else can I do?

would you be able to do aqua aerobics? isn't that gentle on joints etc? anyone know?
  • Options
    would you be able to do aqua aerobics? isn't that gentle on joints etc? anyone know?

Yeah, it's ideal for that kind of thing, it's just not very interesting! I'd rather avoid doing stuff that's just exercise for the sake of exercise. I lose interest really quickly, and can't motivate myself to carry on. If it's an activity that just happens to be good exercise, I'll get into it, and go regularly. Just need to find one that interests me and doesn't involve running or jumping :)
  • Options
    I was thinking of taking up salsa dancing in the New Year (or when I go back to uni :D)
  • Options
    People kept telling me I look like I lost weight today which actually really fucked me off because I know it's muscle, not fat that has been lost and lots of it.

GRR.

Got to clean my diet up tomorrow and up the protein, try and keep some muscle on before I hit the weights after christmas
  • Options
    go_away - where do you live? just wondering randomly lol

I'm in Clapham/Brixton at the moment (equdistance between the two) but I'm moving to Streatham Hill (the nice end :D) at the end of Jan. Should have moved weeks ago, but the electrics weren't finished :grump:

Besides that, had a good workout yesterday. I've noticed my upper body is taking much more shape since I started trying out pullups and bench pressing the olympic bar (which I added weight to yesterday - v sore today :D ) I really should start squatting again, it's just fitting it into my programme, as deadlifting always wears me out. I'll probably start alternating between deadlifting and squatting in the new year.

Since reading this entry on stronglifts, my deadlifting form has really improved, I'm engaging my glutes a lot more, and I concentrate on wiggling my toes so I'm pushing the 'earth away' with my heels.
  • Options
    I'm doing crap at the moment. I'm studying a lot in a cold house and the cold makes me want to eat.

However, roll on new year!
  • Options
    I want to join in! Right...

I've always been a fairly big built lass and due to not having scales in the house whilst I was growing up I tend to measure myself in dress size rather than stones/pounds.
    When I was at school I was about a size 18, then shrunk down to a 12 when I left, but I struggled with staying that small, I was never really comfortable with it. So I think a size 14 was my 'happy weight'. I'm a size 16 now; since I stopped lifeguarding/seeing my boyfriend I've put on loads of weight, we eat rubbish all the time :(

I'd like to get down to a 14 again, but be quite toned too. I'm meant to start my old job again (but I'm not sure if that's going ahead yet...) If I do I get free gym membership which will hopefully help, if I can be motivated to actually go...

Anyway, hopefully this thread will help me out a bit too with the inspiration :thumb:
  • Options
    Arrgghh i'd love to lose weight - i've never actually lost any conciously though which is kind of crap and i'm far to scared to actually step on some scales.

However i have been good enough at getting up and going on the excersise bike for 1/2 an hour each morning before work which burns 500 calories. I just need to eat a bit more healthily - or rather not drink so much wine.
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »
    I'm in Clapham/Brixton at the moment (equdistance between the two) but I'm moving to Streatham Hill (the nice end :D) at the end of Jan. Should have moved weeks ago, but the electrics weren't finished :grump:

Besides that, had a good workout yesterday. I've noticed my upper body is taking much more shape since I started trying out pullups and bench pressing the olympic bar (which I added weight to yesterday - v sore today :D ) I really should start squatting again, it's just fitting it into my programme, as deadlifting always wears me out. I'll probably start alternating between deadlifting and squatting in the new year.

Since reading this entry on stronglifts, my deadlifting form has really improved, I'm engaging my glutes a lot more, and I concentrate on wiggling my toes so I'm pushing the 'earth away' with my heels.

Tidy - go on girl! ;)

What's your routine lookin like?

My bread and butter routine when I am busy, tired and stressed was wholebody workout alternating as many times a week as I could fit in..

Although you can really make things more fancy, the basic thing I planned around was this -

Workout 1

Squat
    Bench
    Bent Over Rows

Workout 2

Deadlift
    Over Head Press (or known as Military Press)
    Chins

Of course you can mix them around but I always keep deads and squats seperate

so e.g. you could do

Squat
    Chins
    Rows

That way you have two pull exercises on the same day and your two push exercies (bench/OHP) on the other

Whatever works best for you

But I always used to just hit that routine, usually for 5x5 and I still managed to get stronger and bigger easily..

If I had extra time on my hands I would throw extra shitty bits in for weak bodyparts like shrugs, curls, tates etc

Or you could switch bench for wide grip Dips - they are a very good exercise and excellent for chest growth

All this training talk makes me wanna cry:( :crying:
  • Options
    I'm not fat but I'm definately not very in shape at the moment. I've got too much of a belly on me and I'm starting to get some excess flab around my neck.

I'm eating alot less/healthier recently but I really don't know what kind of exercise I should be doing to help get rid of this excess fat?! I can't afford the Gym right now.
    Anyone got any ideas? Stuff I could do round the house would be great.
  • Options
    What's your routine lookin like?

At the moment, it's a mix of:

Deadlift
    One armed snatches
    Pull up practice (some unassisted and some negative)
    lat pulldown

Deadlift
    Bench press
    Pull-ups (again, same format)
    Don't know how to describe it, but it's like a reverse push up in the smith machine. Very good for delts

Deadlift
    lunges
    bench press
    push ups

and at the end of each workout I do some midsection work.

Before then I was doing more work with my triceps and using the leg press machine. I think it's time I put some squats back in, but I'm very happy with the upper body progression.
  • Options
    I really want to go down a dress size. I was always the skinny one of my friends when I was younger (but actually looking back at photos, I was far too thin really and it didn't look nice so I don't want to lose that much) and as I have got older I've been putting on more weight and sometimes it really gets me down.

Im a size 10/12 now, ideally I want to be a 8/10...so I know its not much and I'm sure I could do it if I really put my mind to it.

So anyway, now I have wrote it down in this thread I'm hoping I've given myself a kick start to stop being so lazy and just do some proper exercise.

Good luck everyone.

PS I don't weigh myself because I think I could possibly get a bit obsessive, do you think it would be a good idea if I started to so that I can see any progres?
  • Options
    lacrymosa wrote: »
    also got full fat coke. .

then you'll be pleased to hear coke doesn't contain any fat (just sugar) :p
    pill'ed wrote:
    Anyone got any ideas? Stuff I could do round the house would be great.
    sit ups
    doing any exercise where you have to hold your stomach in to do it
    go running
    - all good and all free :)
  • Options
    I don't want to lose any weight I actually want to put some on and I'd like to increase my fitness. I have a pilates door gym thing but the only door I can put it on there's no room next to it to do any of the exercises grr.
  • Options

I used to aqua aerobics a few years ago, its hard work but as its under water its a lot better if you have joint problems. I cant do quite a few normal excerise things (like jogging and high impactstuff) because I would aggreivate my hip problems.
  • Options
    otter wrote: »
    sit ups
    doing any exercise where you have to hold your stomach in to do it
    go running
    - all good and all free :)

I didn't think sit ups actually did any good when it came to getting rid of fat?
  • Options
    I've had 2 packets of crisps today, feeling pretty crap about that.
  • Options
    lacrymosa wrote: »
    I've had a really really bad day. Eaten loads of shit and its not like I can gym it up either. After having a few bad falls last night, I've really hurt my ankle and all the bottom of my back/arse is sore and bruised :( Damn.

there is no point feeling really bad now, it's done and tomorrow is another day...this goes for you too curvy lass.

Lacrymosa - If you feel you have eaten badly then it helps beat the guilt if the next day you cut back a little and excercise/ up your activity a bit, however as you are hurt at the moment go easy on yourself, there is plenty of time for the other stuff :)
  • Options
    Curvy_lass wrote: »
    I've had 2 packets of crisps today, feeling pretty crap about that.

If it makes you feel better i had a large mccoys and 2 kettle chips?

I just drank a bottle of vodka too and am on second?

Am about to put garlic bread in the oven to myself too

would have pizza if it was here

binge alert:heart:
  • Options
    pill'ed
    no point in situps if its fat loss you want mate

you got any weights? even I mean two light dumbbells as you could do a good circuits routine for weight loss with them?

If not you could make a circuit of stuff like -

Jogging on the spot
    star jumps
    burpees
    shadow boxing
    press ups
    sit ups

Do each of the above for 30 seconds one after the other then have 90 seconds rest and repeat.. say 10 times? let me know how you get on .. ;)
  • Options
    Sweet, cheers man. What are burpees?

I just need to get rid of this fucking belly and excess fatty bits that I've developed over the last 6 months!