Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The 'Weightloss and increased fitness' thread.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    g_angel wrote: »
    Very little food doesn't necessarily mean a good diet.

Try supplementing what you are eating with fruit/nuts etc as snacks. What you're eating is healthy (to a point) - you just need MORE of it. Throw some wholemeal pasta in there. Also, raw veg + houmous is good for snacks. Try low fat cottage cheese on ryvita for your supper too. Sod all fat, but good protein etc in there.

I don't understand the extremes people seem to go between. Hold on - to clarify, what WAS your usual diet? Junk, or thin air? Just trying to work out which direction you're coming from with this.

I do eat fruit and vegetables and I have hummous instead of salsa sometimes. Also I have some pesto and pasta too.

Before it would be porridge in the morning, nothing for dinner just lot's of green tea then for my tea maybe some crackers and a small amount of salmon.
  • Options
    it doesn't seem that bad a diet tbh, I have seen a lot worse although yeah its lacking in fiborous veg, fruit and EFA's

it could do with work, if you're interested we can help, if not then it's not a diet that will neccesarily harm you so to speak :)
  • Options
    Yeah that's the one armed rows.

http://www.exrx.net/ is a great resource as well for technical details on lifts etc

The best site ever was a uni in america called BSU they had an awesome index of stuff but it seems to be down all the time at the moment

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/BackGeneral/DBBentOverRow.html

Guy looks naked in that mind lol

RE the dips, problem with close grip dips is that they hit the tri's rather than the lats, good if you want to work on your arms though ;)

Yeah I'm a big fan of exrx.

Quick question, do you know of any good exercises, preferably compound ones that I can do to work the muscles of my inner thighs? I really don't want to use those silly looking adductor/abductor machines, I suppose squatting would be good or something like that? Dawned on me yesterday that I only really deadlift to work the lower part of my body, not much else.
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »
    Yeah I'm a big fan of exrx.

Quick question, do you know of any good exercises, preferably compound ones that I can do to work the muscles of my inner thighs? I really don't want to use those silly looking adductor/abductor machines, I suppose squatting would be good or something like that? Dawned on me yesterday that I only really deadlift to work the lower part of my body, not much else.

Wide stance squats. They're good for targetting the inner thigh.
  • Options
    You know what..I had a portion of fish-shop chips yesterday, not had them for months!

No I don't hate myself, I just know not to treat myself so luxuriously from now on. That was enough to last a while. I need to have my first weigh in now, and see how much I've lost/gained.

BRB :)
  • Options
    Well I've just weighed myself. And I'm not entirely sure how accurate they are, but the needle has definately gone down. I'd like to say it was the whole 4lbs it's trying to tell me I've lost, but I'm just going to put it as 1lb loss :D
  • Options
    Curvy_lass wrote: »
    Well I've just weighed myself. And I'm not entirely sure how accurate they are, but the needle has definately gone down. I'd like to say it was the whole 4lbs it's trying to tell me I've lost, but I'm just going to put it as 1lb loss :D

Well done :)
  • Options
    Curvy_lass wrote: »

good start, well done. i personally prefer to use scales in places like boots rather than home scales as i find them incredably inaccurate! my weight can vary by stones as well as pounds depending on where on the floor i am weighing myself, plus depending on manufacturers - in pound stretcher i am only 11stones! lol
  • Options
    That's why, for the next few weeks whilst I'm at home, I'm going to be taking the readings with an ounce of suspicion as I just cannot be sure.

When I go back to uni, that's when I can get a truer reading as the health worker will be weighing me weekly. Also, I hope to take up salsa :D
  • Options
    Sorry, me again.

I'm off out for dinner at a mates house interesting. This mate is skinny minny (and good on her!) after losing a huge amount of weight on Slimming World, so will be interesting to see what she produces tonight.

I'm avoiding the liqeur chocs and alcohol as much as poss!
  • Options
    I'm completely tee-total, started today, first time in my life, think it will really help my training.

Well done on your loss!

go_away - as said squats are good for the legs all over!! :D

Easier (kind of) as DB lunges, DB step ups, etc :)
  • Options
    Dinner was SO indulgent tonight. Bad us! Tomorrow is a good day, it just has to be!
  • Options
    g_angel wrote: »
    Wide stance squats. They're good for targetting the inner thigh.

Merci. I think I'm more suited to a wider stance anyway as I'm always paranoid about toppling over :D
    go_away - as said squats are good for the legs all over!!

Easier (kind of) as DB lunges, DB step ups, etc

Squatting will def form a part of my programme next year. Krista on Stumptuous has just updated the site and she has put together some great pieces on squatting for beginners.

Yesterday at the gym the fire alarm went off. I had just warmed up :grump: (but at least I wasn't sweating). I felt more sorry for those walking out dripping wet from the showers :eek:
  • Options
    I have been weighed today and stayed the same but I havent eaten badly or cheated, so I guess I am just retaining water or something. I won't let it get me down I feel much better for being healthy.
  • Options
    twinklestar, what's the bet you have a double loss next week ;):D
  • Options
    impressed with myslef i went swimming twice this week and stuck to good food most of the time...doesnt sound like much but i have such motivational problems...so im happy bout it
  • Options
    I stepped on the scales yesterday (I don't very often) and I weigh exactly the same as I did when I started out last Jan. Except my body fat is far lower, and the jeans I had been struggling to get into are now loose (also a couple of bra sizes smaller :yippe: )
  • Options
    Well done go_away!!!! :D

you must be well chuffed, I am still injured, about 1 1/2 weeks behind the schedule on rehab because I've been lifting my kid and doing too much around the house etc grr !!:mad:

My before/after pics this year are going to be shocking lol.

Keep up the good work though, wish I could say the same hehe!!

Shame about the bra sizes though
  • Options
    I want in!
    Im not overweight (BMI 23) but still feel lardy. Plus, am fighting depression (and its a v tough opponent) and am thinking, the anti depressants havent worked so ive kicked those, lets try the emcercise thing.
    See I was always pretty good at going to the gym, but over the past year have hardly been atall-admittedly partly thru laziness, but mainly because I would seize up with panic at the thought of going there, and worrying that people would be laughing at the chubby chick :blush:
    the rational part of my mind knows that people have got much better things to do than watch my (wobbling) arse on the treadmill or laugh at my ancient gym stuff, or be amazed at how much I sweat. but the rational mind doesnt always win, does it?!
    So Ive decided, screw it. Im going back to the gym regularly. Think my diets pretty ok, I drink too much and indulge sometimes, but generally its pretty good, lots of veggies etc. So its perhaps time to just cut down on the wine, and get down the gym regular.
    have been back there for the past two weeks almost everyday to get me kick started, but think its going to be ok. am doing cardio and weights, as the weights bit was my main paranoia last time I am focussing on that to begin with.
    Has anyone had experience of depression and using excercise to help? does it work?
  • Options
    Well done Go away and you can do it curvy, I am sure that we will all motivate each other.
  • Options
    havent been able to go to gym all week because its opening the same hours as am working. grrr! have trampetted and gone for walks and stuff, but its not as good. Am turning into Christmas Pudding :rolleyes:
  • Options
    how about some home aerobics lankygirl? dvd etc? better than nowt if you don't feel that your trampette and walking is enough?
  • Options
    good call, but i;d have to go and buy one of those DVD things....anyone know a good one? hopefully should be able to gym it tomoz, but it would be handy to have one case I have a herbert moment and are too frightened to go
  • Options
    there are so so many of them, especially at this time of year! i have the rosemary conley ones, tae bo and jade's first dance workout which i couldn't do(no coordination)! out of them all i prefer the Rosemary Conley one as it is only half an hour and easy to fit in, i did get bored of the music tho so often stuck it on on mute and played my own. Just pick a celeb you like and they will probably have one. Amazon might be a good start as you sometimes get reviews.
  • Options
    Been for a week in the US. Crikey, the portions are HUGE! It made me all the more enthusiastic to get my eating back on track. Am going to experiment with an India-style hamburger with lots and lots of veg and no white bread. :) Am trying to figure up easy stuff to make that's not processed and has lots of veg with it. Plus I learnt a few tasty no-sugar desserts last summer. Starting a new job that's shifts just really threw me off track with exercise and diet.

My horse is also back so my main goal is to try to walk as often as possible to the stables and also hit the gym at work regularly. I just can't really figure out a proper routine since my shift circle is so erratic. I either start at 7, 10:30 or 20 and the only good time to go before work is on the 10:30 days. However I should probably try to go after work on my 7 days and possibly the morning after my night shifts. But I'm kinda zombie ish at that point haha.
  • Options
    Lankygirl wrote: »
    good call, but i;d have to go and buy one of those DVD things....anyone know a good one? hopefully should be able to gym it tomoz, but it would be handy to have one case I have a herbert moment and are too frightened to go
    I've heard a lot of good things about the Ministry of Sound DVD's - the one with the dance moves to the Eric Prydz music video is mean to be really good.
  • Options
    one of my friends really likes the Davina MCall dvds
  • Options
    i just thought i'd let everyone know I managed to lose 5 lb in 2 weeks and have fitted into a pair of size 12 jeans! I am pleased that the healthy eating is working! Thanks for the inspriation!

Also the other half bought me a set of small dumbells for crimbo 0.5kg - 1.5kg any ideas on how i can use these effectivly to get rid of my bingo wings? also does anyone know of any nice vegatarian meals i could try that are low in fat?
    thanks

emz
  • Options
    Nice going, thats really impressive!
  • Options
    I've decided I'm starting this from tomorrow.

First problem next Saturday. Gonna be out from 6am-1-2am Sunday morning.

We're only gonna be stopping at service stations so I wanna make some stuff to take with us so I aren't tempted by little chef and maccy ds.

I want stuff I can make Friday night and just pick up on the way out Saturday morning.

I was thinking chicken wraps, salad and pasta.

Anyone got any better ideas?