Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The 'Weightloss and increased fitness' thread.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Rachie you can eat me as much as like you baby :heart::heart::heart: :flirt:

lacrymosa - lol I made myself hungry too!!

I just ate an orange, wasn't quite as good as the list I made lol but hey ho!
  • Options
    lacrymosa wrote: »
    Damn you CoT, you've made me hungry!

I've been hungry for ages now though. I hate evening cravings. I am craving crisps and chocolate and yummy things. Argh. It hasn't helped my flatmate has been sat here eating yummy prawn crackers in front of me all night :(

I've been good with my eating today though. I had a tomato soup for lunch followed by a banana (as I was going the gym and bananas are my gym food), when I got back from the gym I had an apple, I had a chicken veggie stir fry for tea and I had a activia yoghurt a bit later. Only had water too. Had pretty much the same yesterday, haha. Thats ok aint it?

I've set myself a goal of not weighing myself until next Friday. Its really bad weighing myself everyday.

Hey - to beat evening cravings, especially when working out, eat low fat cottage cheese on whole grain ryvita stuff or peanut butter on wholemeal/granary toast.
  • Options
    I'm aiming to lose weight as a lifestyle choice this year rather than a fad. I've tried and failed many times before but I can't take it any more. I've never really felt comfortable sharing my weight with people so find it hard to get proper support, but I guess this is worth as a try as names on a screen aren't quite the same. So here goes...

I weigh 270lbs. Thats 122.4kg for those of you in the metric, and around 19 stone for those of you inclined to measure it that way. I'm female, early 20s, 168cms and have always been of the large type, as a baby, child and now as an adult.

I don't know what kind of goal I should be aiming for long term but feel I should have one. Healthy range chart things say at my height I should weigh around 120-160lbs, but that seems somewhat unrealistic given my current weight.

Do you think having short term goals is a good plan, or I should aim for the 120? How do you think I should set these goals?

I'm trying to eat maximim 1800kcal a day, less if possible as the amount of excercise I can do is limited by my fitness and another personal reason, I swim 3x per week when I can though.

Realistically, is this going to work long term or shall I consign myself to being grossly overweight forever? If the latter is the case then I might as well not bother, eat whatever the hell I like and die earlier.
  • Options
    Hi, welcome to the site :wave:

How old are you please?

Cheers,

Phil
  • Options
    I'm aiming to lose weight as a lifestyle choice this year rather than a fad. I've tried and failed many times before but I can't take it any more. I've never really felt comfortable sharing my weight with people so find it hard to get proper support, but I guess this is worth as a try as names on a screen aren't quite the same. So here goes...

I weigh 270lbs. Thats 122.4kg for those of you in the metric, and around 19 stone for those of you inclined to measure it that way. I'm female, early 20s, 168cms and have always been of the large type, as a baby, child and now as an adult.

I don't know what kind of goal I should be aiming for long term but feel I should have one. Healthy range chart things say at my height I should weigh around 120-160lbs, but that seems somewhat unrealistic given my current weight.

Do you think having short term goals is a good plan, or I should aim for the 120? How do you think I should set these goals?

I'm trying to eat maximim 1800kcal a day, less if possible as the amount of excercise I can do is limited by my fitness and another personal reason, I swim 3x per week when I can though.

Realistically, is this going to work long term or shall I consign myself to being grossly overweight forever? If the latter is the case then I might as well not bother, eat whatever the hell I like and die earlier.

Anyway, to the questions.

I think 120lbs is very low for someone of your height, but IMO you be aiming to get as low as you can comfortably without comprising your health, without knowing your build and not being a doctor, 160 seems like a nice place to aim for really, you an always assess it from there.

As I'm sure you know, you are way past this at the moment, and this is going to be a long and hard process for you - but I think it would also be very rewarding at the end.

Regarding your calories, as the weight you are at now is high, you can actually get away with eating a bit more than you are currently, I would aim for 2200 calories a day.

2200 would be roughly what a sedentary person of your weight would need to consume to lost weight

Therefore if you do get some cardio in (at least semi intensive) then you can maybe allow for some extra cals, but really I would say try for 2200.

My concern is that you may have stagnated now though, how long have you been eating 1800 cals max for, and what have the results been?

Everyone can lose weight (apart from those with conditions) so you can definately do this, but just be realistic, it is going to be a long time and a hard road but as I said, it is worth it ..

For guidelines, I would say you should be aiming to lose a minimum of 2lb per week, you could easily get 3lb+ though and still be healthy

But even say if you can do 2lb a week, that means you could do nearly 50lbs in 6 months!

This is a link I used to show my friend who was about your weight, I think it's really eye opening and inspirational personally -

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=263256

Please stick around and keep us posted and let us know any questions or even if you just want to rant :)

All the best,

Phil
  • Options
    Bollocks, that link is useless now, the pics have gone :(

This one isn't as good at all but you can see the point

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=339592

Here are the success stories -
    http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=86
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply :)

I'm 21.

I've never been one to especially watch calories before, just thought "I eat fairly healthily" but now I write everything down that I'm eating and I've realised although I ate healthily I had some portion size problems which meant I was consuming too much.

I cut back and made an effort from about September and did lose a bit if weight (I don't know in terms of numbers but could tell from how my clothes fit) but I had some problems in December, stopped working at it and now my clothes are tighter than in the first place :(
  • Options
    I've got a question.

I currently weigh 11st, and have stayed the same weight for about 5 years.
    I don't drink alcohol and I don't eat junk food very much at all. However I do lead a pretty much sedentary lifestyle, with the exception of a 20 min daily yoga session.

What would I need to do to lose 3 stone and to keep it off without having to live in the gym?

Hi Ilora. I think I am probably the same as you. The only time I lose weight is when I have had a gym subscription, worked really hard around 3 times a week, and even then, I only lost a bit of weight, very slowly.

That's simply not practical at the moment. I guess you need to find a form of exercise that you enjoy and you can fit into your life. Yoga is good but it isn't an aerobic exercise so won't really help with weight loss. I love pilates but it's more for relaxation and toning than fat-loss. You need something more high impact.

It doesn't have to be gym based. What about ceroc, or some other form of dance? I worked at a ceroc night last week, it looked so much fun!
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply :)

I'm 21.

I've never been one to especially watch calories before, just thought "I eat fairly healthily" but now I write everything down that I'm eating and I've realised although I ate healthily I had some portion size problems which meant I was consuming too much

I cut back and made an effort from about September and did lose a bit if weight (I don't know in terms of numbers but could tell from how my clothes fit) but I had some problems in December, stopped working at it and now my clothes are tighter than in the first place :(

hiya, welcome to the site :wave:

It can seem soooo daunting to have alot to lose, i have been told i would ideally need to lose around 5stones to be ok for my height, which seems such a long trek! i am aiming to lose first a stone and go from there. well done you for choosing to do this...there are lots of people who visit this thread so you will be able to pick up plenty of tips.
  • Options
    Going to Belgium seriously sabotages any efforts to eat clean :D Haven't really noticed any gains over the festive period, I just feel more bloated.

Anyhoo, my workload at school is getting more intense, once I start with the respiratory consultant, his teaching is until 6pm so I don't really want to have late gym sessions, so I've decided to start going at.... 7am :eek: It means a 5.30 start, but it will work out better for me in the long run and I'll be energised for the day ahead. And the gym will be pretty much empty, which is always a bonus.

I have also decided to up my training to how it was (6x a week rather than 3), which will mean doing some cardio ;)
  • Options
    If it was me I'd go but lay of things that could agitate it more. So I'd avoid the rower and cross trainer and upper body weights. Go on the bike, stair master, treadmill instead. Or do some swimming.
  • Options
    Walk on a high incline that can burn just as many calories than running, if you walk at a fast pace too.
    I can't run to save mylife so thats all I ever do on the treadmill walk on the highes incline at a really fast walking pace.
  • Options
    You can always go on the x trainer but not use the bits that move your arms, if you get what I mean.? Just hold on to the handle or something
  • Options
    Mmmmm. Well I'm going to go anyway. If it hurts too much, I'll just stop. I'm still gonna try and go on the cross trainer. I like the cross trainer, haha.

Stupid shoulders :grump:

Advice is not to work the areas that are hurting. Give them a day or two of rest and focus on something else - or as Pieces suggested, go on the cross-trainer but hold onto the handles (hence resting the shoulders).

The body needs time to recover and repair itself. Very important. It's also why you will find that people mainly tend to work different muscle groups on different days. Gives you a chance to hammer the ones that are not being rested.

Perhaps you could go in and do some core training, or even get some squats etc done. Aye - get some lower body weight training done. That will burn calories long after you've stopped working out, and, of course, the more muscle tissue that your body is carrying, the more calories it burns even at rest/carrying out basic activities. Approx extra 50 calories burned per pound of muscle gained per day...
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »
    Hi Ilora. I think I am probably the same as you. The only time I lose weight is when I have had a gym subscription, worked really hard around 3 times a week, and even then, I only lost a bit of weight, very slowly.

That's simply not practical at the moment. I guess you need to find a form of exercise that you enjoy and you can fit into your life. Yoga is good but it isn't an aerobic exercise so won't really help with weight loss. I love pilates but it's more for relaxation and toning than fat-loss. You need something more high impact.

It doesn't have to be gym based. What about ceroc, or some other form of dance? I worked at a ceroc night last week, it looked so much fun!
    I have a connective tissue disorder, and my rheumy's forbidden me from doing 'land exercise' so dancing is definitely out. I'm not supposed to do Yoga, as I already overstretch everything, but I enjoy it so I'm ignoring medical advice on that one lol. I've got a stepper and a trampette, so I suppose they're my only choices...
  • Options
    What do you mean by hurting lacrymosa? Are they just sore?

If it's just sore muscles then ignore the pain if you want to train ;)

If it's too much or it feels like an injury then as suggested dont work that area :p
  • Options
    Don't worry about it, just think that having a day off today will give your shoulders a rest and hopefully will be good for tomorrows workout :)
    A day off does you good anyway...I always make sure I have 1 day off.
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote: »
    :yes:

It's good to rest the muscles a rest

When my mum was a nurse she looked after a boy that was training to get into the navy and he overworked himself so much that he caused lots of damage to himself, even to the point where he was pee-ing blood

Really?! God...he must have really been going for it with his training for that to happen!
  • Options
    I don't know what I've done.They are REALLY sore though. I've only just managed to get out of bed because lifting my shoulders off the pillow hurt too much :( Mmm. I probably just did too much yesterday. I hope they are better tomorrow.

I've taken lots of nurofen though and its a little better. I'm off shopping now with a friend so obviously, the gym is sorta not happening today :blush: Shopping is like a gym session anyway :razz:

I'm definately going tomorrow morning though before I meet up with my mate and I'll definately be going on Sunday after my driving lesson (I won't be doing anything else anyway!).

I still feel bad for not going today though :( Thats still 3 times this week though and it doesn't sound as though job is starting on Monday so I'll be going then too :)

It sounds like they need a rest. A bit of gym burn (such a good feeling as you know you're working yourself properly) is ok to work through, but if you're struggling to push yourself up out of bed, you need to rest them.

To be honest, they could be even worse tomorrow. Just see how they go and get some protein in you as that is what the body uses to repair the damaged tissue. When you're back down to a dull ache, then I'd think about working them again.
  • Options
    And I though I was bad! Poor lad though :(
    I know a few people who really push themselves, there members of like 2 gyms and go to one for a few hours then the other straight afterwards...just so the staff at either gym don't think it's strange they are there for so long.
    I go for a few hours at a time but I'd never have the energy to go another one straight after :no:
  • Options
    I have a connective tissue disorder, and my rheumy's forbidden me from doing 'land exercise' so dancing is definitely out. I'm not supposed to do Yoga, as I already overstretch everything, but I enjoy it so I'm ignoring medical advice on that one lol.

Might not be a universal thing, but my physio says that yoga and (especially) pilates are actually the best things to do for hypermobile joints, as building strength in the surrounding muscles helps support and stabilise joints that can't stabilise themselves, so I would deffo go against the medical advice there!

Swimming's probably your best bet for aerobicness - gives you a good workout, but is joint-friendly at the same time :thumb:
  • Options
    ok, so i've decided that dieting is the completly wrong thing for me to do due to my IBS and so many other things...

so i'm gonna get a fitness dvd and go for it at least 4 times a week...

someone has recomended the carmen electra dvds, but does anyone else know of a really good one...someone said that there was a punk aerobics thing...
  • Options
    Cant help with the DVDs sorry trin!

RE the soreness, its normal to be sore if you have worked out, but it will only last a few months, sometimes I used to struggle to lift a cup up after a heavy sesh lol, it soon passes tho
  • Options
    I joined WeightWatchers last night, on a whim :|.

But it has inspired me. I'm buying purely healthy food on my online shop and I'm throwing away/donating all the leftover crappy food to my flatmates.

Gonna buy the new Rosemary Conley DVD too.
  • Options
    Oh weight watchers is really good and so easy! Good luck :)
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    I joined WeightWatchers last night, on a whim :|.

But it has inspired me. I'm buying purely healthy food on my online shop and I'm throwing away/donating all the leftover crappy food to my flatmates.

Gonna buy the new Rosemary Conley DVD too.

The good thing about online shopping is your hardly tempted by naughty food, than if you were wandering around the shop!
  • Options
    piecesofme wrote: »
    The good thing about online shopping is your hardly tempted by naughty food, than if you were wandering around the shop!
    Eeeeeeeeeeeexactly!
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote: »
    *signs up for online shopping*

Franki, have you tried buying fruit and veggies online - are they alright when they come to you?
    They are, yeh. I think they get them out the shop on the day so I wouldn't worry too much :).
  • Options
    Re: recovery, it's absolutely vital to give your muscles a break after a session. Think of exercise as an earthquake, and the damaged buildings as the damaged muscle fibres. They need time to build up and get stronger, a building won't repair itself as optimally if there's another earthquake 24 hours later.

Incidentally, at my gym, one of the instructors is training with a new instructor. They workout every day, including working on pullups. Neither of them can do one unassisted yet, but I don't get why they're working on that every day instead of making the most of the recovery period. Sounds counter-productive to me, but it's not the sort of thing I want to discuss with them as... well, they're gym instructors :p

I've decided to start buying a whole chicken rather than chicken pieces and roasting it on a Sunday, so I can use the cooked pieces throughout the week in lunches. I think it'll be cheaper in the long run, and I can make a lovely stock with the bones.

I measured my waist yesterday while feeling the last of a big bloat (belgian chocolates, beer and coke), it was 5cm bigger than usual :lol:
  • Options
    xsazx wrote: »
    finally excercising properly again :D swimming, gym x 2, ride x 2, badminton (a week) for now :D

well done! :)