Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The 'Weightloss and increased fitness' thread.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i would like to join :)

in feb this year i joined the gym and went religiously for about 6 months, lost 16 pounds quite quickly and then just kinda gave up!

i didnt put on any weight but i lost all the tone and looked flabby again.

i started the gym again the week before christmas and have managed to get up to being able to go 1 hr at a time which i am soooo chuffed about!

i am only 5 ft 1 and i got to where i couldnt even fit into a size 16! i am not back to a 10/12 but i have bingo wings, wobbly thighs and a tubby tummy which i want to tone away.

going to the gym makes me feel better, gives me more energy and i hope that in a few weeks i will start to see some changes in my body!

i have started to lift light weights to tone my upper arms and although its really making me ache, im sure its working!

everyone...keep up with all your good work!
  • Options
    So far I have made piss poor progress on this whole fitness lark, although I have bought some swimming gear as a token gesture. Please try to force me to go where possible.

Have also managed to lose 5/6lbs over Christmas (how???) so diet situation needs to be reviewed so as to get some chub on.

Also going to try and snowboard regularly with the man, hopefully that will be easier to keep motivated as there are two of us (that said, not sure how brilliant this is for my joints, as I seem to manage to land full pelt on my knees at least 3 times a session).

Activeness ahoy!
  • Options
    Anyone ever done a spinning class? The biggest thing I want to work on is my poor weak little heart and its cholestoral filled arteries. I've never done one but it's always looked interesting and theres one 3 days a week after work times so I thought I'd check in, so any opinions on it?

Ah nevermind, just realized those classes are on the same day as school.
  • Options
    I used to do spinning classes all the time! I did 3 or 4 a week at my old gym. Not as much now at my new one due to timetable times, but going to try and get back into it!
    I love it tho, it makes you sweat like a bitch, get your heart really pumping and even though you feel like you need CPR afterwards it's great ;) And burns lot's of calories too!
    Just be careful the next day your legs and bum can kill, especially as the seats on the bikes aren't the most comfy :no:
  • Options
    I did 20 situps this morning, does that count as fitness?
  • Options
    I did 20 situps this morning, does that count as fitness?

better than nowt aint it? Am supposed to be starting a dance class next week! am going with a mate who did an HND in dance, and I am fearful of normal aerobics because of my poor coordination, so not quite sure why I think I will be able to follow a dance class... But I love dancing in clubs and that, I know it aint the same, but I really wanna give it a try!

havent been to gym since Sunday because its been closed, but am hoping to go later on. Am still scared to weigh myself, especially as my scales at home are erratic at best.
  • Options
    I get paid tomorrow so I can order my bike, and then I'm going to pedal all day as I revise!
  • Options
    I'm gona start swimming, maybe once or twice a week. I don't need to lose weight but I'd like to feel a bit fitter and it's nice to do some exercise isn't it :)

I have a knee that sometimes gives me jip. Will swimming strengthen it?
  • Options
    lipsy wrote: »
    I'm gona start swimming, maybe once or twice a week. I don't need to lose weight but I'd like to feel a bit fitter and it's nice to do some exercise isn't it :)

I have a knee that sometimes gives me jip. Will swimming strengthen it?

Yeah but get yourself to a physio if it continues before its too late. I'm talking from eperience
  • Options
    Yeah but get yourself to a physio if it continues before its too late. I'm talking from eperience

really?

I injured it a whil ago..although nothing too serious and it hurts a bit now every so often. What can physio do for this?
  • Options
    swimming is good exercise for anyone with joint problems i thought as it doesn't put strain on the joints, and is supportive to them, is this right you guys?

Just weighed myself at boots, i am 14 stones 12 pounds and 45% body fat, yummy!

Plan is gym as often as possible plus workout dvds on other days, low fat diet with around 1600calories to start with. when i was going to Rosemary Conley i was 15 stones 5pounds and my calorie allowance per day started at 1800 so i think that is a realistic calorie allowance for me to start with, what do you think people?

just for motivation i am putting my before pics up, no going back now!!
  • Options
    I might have a go at that body fat thing. What is a woman's body fat %supposed to be?
  • Options
    according to my boots ticket....

Female body fat reccomendations
    21% Excellent
    26% good
    29.3% average
    34.8% poor

:)
  • Options
    lipsy wrote: »
    really?

I injured it a whil ago..although nothing too serious and it hurts a bit now every so often. What can physio do for this?

Well IMHO if it hurts from time to time then it would show there may be an underlying problem and if you do start swimming etc regularly and the pains return I would get it checked, you'd be amazed at what they can do, and a good physio is definately the route I would take initially :)

As you say though, if it doesn't hurt, don't worry :p
  • Options
    Sorry can I also add those Bodyfat machines are a load of shit so I wouldn't take it to heart whatever it says TBH! :)
  • Options
    Im on a little bit of a fitness kick lately so I went and bought a chin up bar. Are they good for fat burning?
  • Options
    lacrymosa wrote: »
    I went on the Boots Body Fat thing today and when I went a few months ago, my Body Fat Percentage was 26% and its now 22%. I've lost 4% of my Body Fat :D I've just found the receipt I got at the beginning of summer and compared it to the one I got today and I've lost a stone and a half as well as some body fat :D:D:D

Well done you :thumb: Thats really great, shows what you're doing is deffinatly working :yippe:
  • Options
    i have just weighed myself and acording to what i have found online, i need to lose 1 more stone to get to the weight i should be....

my goal is to lose another 1 stone and 8lbs and then i will be happy :)
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I'm gonna try and have a go at losing weight this year, I managed to lose about two stone last year but I gave up and have probably put it all back on.
  • Options
    For the record, I wouldn't bother with online body fat calculators. Using exactly the same measurements, one told me mine was 9.9% :eek:, one said 15.9%, one 17.9%, and the last 32.3%, and that I was in the obese range and should consider dieting :lol:
  • Options
    I'm going to try and get back into gyming it again this year. My BMI is about 23 so I'm kinda in the middle of 'normal' and would like to lower my weight a bit and get my BMI to about 20-21.
    Whats the best CV for fat burning? I usually do about 15 mins cross trainer, 15 mins bike and 15 mins running machine (but do upwards walking instead) Is this a good workout or should I change it a bit?
  • Options
    How can you measure your body fat online? :confused:

With measurements of varying parts of you. They use measurements from things like your wrists, so I guess they use some kind of ratio of your weight, to your frame size.

They're just estimates, but as I've illustrated, it's total bollocks anyway.
  • Options
    Im on a little bit of a fitness kick lately so I went and bought a chin up bar. Are they good for fat burning?

Depends what you're going to do with it, doesn't it?
  • Options
    Alright I'm off to the gym, first time since last fiasco. If anything breaks/gets lost/stuck/ruins my day, this whole thread can go to hell :p
  • Options
    I thought I posted earlier, but yeah those bodyfat scales are shite.
  • Options
    Oh I did post it earlier lol. whoopsie.

Anyway, they are still shit.

BMI can be an indicator kind of but it's not the be and all and end all. Especially if you become heavily muscled as a bloke.

It's known in certain circles as the Bullshit Mass Index lol
  • Options
    I am going to try and get rid of about two and half stone this year.

I feel disgusting atm :(
  • Options

I decided yesterday that I've got to sort out my eating. Since last summer, I've lost a stone and a half. However, this past month I've been silly about it all. Its helped me lose that little bit more and I do want to lose a teeny tiny bit more but I'm going to do it properly. Proper healthy eating and proper healthy exercise. None of this silly shit anymore.

Seriously - good on you. I was very concerned about you. It's the best way, doing it properly :)
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    I am going to try and get rid of about two and half stone this year.

I feel disgusting atm :(

Me too hun :crying: Christmas time is rubbish with all the food you get fed :rolleyes:
    I've been poorly so not been to the gym since monday, though with my new stepper thing I can at least do something at home ;)
  • Options
    Good on ya Stace.

The point is that the starvation etc weight lost won't last and will lead to other complications with your health.

Well done for realising though, I hope others who are doing the same silently reading this take your actions on board.