Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The 'Weightloss and increased fitness' thread.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    lacrymosa wrote: »
    so the next time I have a fella, he'll love what he sees, haha :D Thats what motivates me, how sad!!!!!!!!

Hey - being proud of your body and wanting to look good isn't sad :) I'm just so glad you've come round to thinking sensibly about how you're going about it :D :thumb:
  • Options
    :-) jus from going swimming twice a week an eating better i can now fit really comfortable into my size 16 jeans again whoot! this is going down from bordering on an 18 and when i went bra shopping the otherday it turns out ive gone down to a 34! which is great! havent been a 34 since i was about 16!!! very happy at the moment jus gota keep going...
  • Options
    I went and nothing bad happened! I forgot how quickly downhill I get though. At my slow pace (most peoples warm up :p) on the elipitcal I could only go 15 minutes before my hr got to 197 and I almost blacked out. When I'm in good shape, at that pace I can usually go 25/30 minutes and keep it at 185. Ah it'll get back down there soon enough.

It is always amusing at how many people you see the first week (and only the first week) of january. :p
  • Options
    It is always amusing at how many people you see the first week (and only the first week) of january. :p

that would be me then! (well every other year prior to this one). :P
  • Options
    I've decided I'm starting this from tomorrow.

First problem next Saturday. Gonna be out from 6am-1-2am Sunday morning.

We're only gonna be stopping at service stations so I wanna make some stuff to take with us so I aren't tempted by little chef and maccy ds.

I want stuff I can make Friday night and just pick up on the way out Saturday morning.

I was thinking chicken wraps, salad and pasta.

Anyone got any better ideas?

hellllo?? :wave: :wave:
  • Options
    No I cant think of anything else
  • Options
    Fruit?

One of my aims for this year is to try and have lots of fruit and veg. I tend to look unhealthy, as though I don't get enough vitamins and I think fruit and veg could help.

Yesterday I had apple juice (not concentrated), a banana, 2 clementines, and a bowl of home made vegetable soup. Today I've had a bit of apple juice and don't have any more fruit around. I hate working in the middle of nowhere!
  • Options
    hellllo?? :wave: :wave:

I made this for dinner last night, and have brought some for lunch today:

Yellowfin Tuna in spring water (less salt content), although tuna in brine will do if drained well. Baby spinach (a super-food in itself), sun dried tomato paste and wholemeal pasta with some black pepper. ETA - I forgot to mention, add a little chilli to it. Adds a little kick and also chilli speeds up the metabolism along with other things.

But also, yes, fruit... Also, buy some carrot sticks and some low fat houmous to dip it in.
  • Options
    Every time i lose weight, either concious effort or random happening, everyone says how ill i look. Thanks :rolleyes:
  • Options
    i'm trying to lose about a stone at the moment. i'm 10 and 1/2 now, so it shouldn't be too difficult, does anyone else find it ridiculously hard to give up snacking?
  • Options
    O_o wrote: »
    i'm trying to lose about a stone at the moment. i'm 10 and 1/2 now, so it shouldn't be too difficult, does anyone else find it ridiculously hard to give up snacking?

Not if you swap the snacky things for healthy stuff. No need to give it up then!
  • Options
    How good or bad are baked beans?
  • Options
    g_angel wrote: »
    Not if you swap the snacky things for healthy stuff. No need to give it up then!

true. i tend to distract myself by either having a polo mint or getting a drink of milkshake. seem to surpress the cravings for a while at least.
  • Options
    How good or bad are baked beans?

See:

Beanz

Also:

Mean Beanz

Plenty of info on google, but my trainer recommends them too, and he's a complete food Nazi.
  • Options
    That's good because I eat a lot of them, at least 3 tins a week. I find that they are the only thing I can eat before going to work that will keep me going until 8pm when I have my break. Anything other than a jacket potato and beans before work either doesn't give me enough energy to work or gives me bad stomach ache while I'm there.

Thanks for that :thumb:
  • Options
    That's good because I eat a lot of them, at least 3 tins a week. I find that they are the only thing I can eat before going to work that will keep me going until 8pm when I have my break. Anything other than a jacket potato and beans before work either doesn't give me enough energy to work or gives me bad stomach ache while I'm there.

Thanks for that :thumb:

No worries!

Combine them with wholemeal/granary bread and you've a good, quick, simple, filling meal too! :) Effectively any complex un-refined carbs.
  • Options
    Beans :heart:

love em,they keep me full for ages .
  • Options
    Beans :heart:

love em,they keep me full for ages .

Remember the rhyme:

Beans, beans, they're good for your heart... the more you eat, the more you fart!

So true.

:D
  • Options
    Plenty of customers at work to blame that on though!
  • Options
    Plenty of customers at work to blame that on though!

;)
  • Options
    You can make baked beans into a really nice filling meal. Fry an onion, garlic if you like, then add the bean, cook slowly on a low heat for around 10 minutes. They go all nice and soft. If you like them, you can also add chick peas or blackeyed beans to bulk it out. I usually add curry powder or garam masala because I like spiciness!

Yum!
  • Options
    You can put baked beans in with lots of things - as a layer in a lasagne for example, or in a veggie bolognese. And I LOVE chickpeas! Could call me Knee High Stripy Beans :D

I ordered my exercise bike today, so I'm excited about that. I'm going to multitask by pedalling and revising at the same time!
  • Options
    i have a question. i am not good at drinking water, so i drink alot of squash and decaf tea. the squash is reduced sugar and is about 8calories a glass. Someone said this is bad for me coz of sugar and won't help me lose weight, but surely if it's only 8calories a glass it can't have that much sugar in it?
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »
    You can make baked beans into a really nice filling meal. Fry an onion, garlic if you like, then add the bean, cook slowly on a low heat for around 10 minutes. They go all nice and soft. If you like them, you can also add chick peas or blackeyed beans to bulk it out. I usually add curry powder or garam masala because I like spiciness!

Yum!

sound lush maet, I make something v similar involving a tin of tomatoes and mushy peas (trust) if I wanna thicken it out.
  • Options
    lacrymosa wrote: »
    BEANS MEANS HEINZ!!!! Haha, does anybody remember that advert?

Beans are part of your five a day. I like beans, don't eat them too often though. I have a few cans of Weight Watchers baked beans in my cupboard. I don't know if those ones are any better :lol:

I've just been the gym and I feel really really good. I've not been too much recently because well, I've been home for Christmas, been busy job hunting, etc and I was scared that I would have lost some fitness but I haven't :D I did 45 minutes on quite a hard level at a fast speed on the cross trainer and 30 minutes (which is the most I've ever done!!!!) on the stair climber thing. I also did a bit of resistance/weight training but not too much because I was getting tired after all that cardio. Will try and do more tomorrow. Although, my shoulders are really hurting and I don't know why :(

Feel good though. It was good to get back in there. Its weird how you feel happy when you leave the gym.

Hehe. I went into the steam room after my session and obviously, I was wearing a bikini. Anyway, its weird cuz I saw my reflection in a mirror in the changing room and I thought to myself "actually, I've got quite a nice body,why the fuck have I been putting myself down so much?". I don't know, it was weird, I just noticed that I've developed quite nice curves because I've lost weight off my waist and things and my stomach is quite flat now. My legs are much slimmer, my arse is much smaller and it just actually looked nice. I didn't actually look fat and I looked slim and curvy and I liked it especially because I'm much more toned now. Dunno, I've not actually thought that about myself in a while so actually feeling good about myself for a second or two was really nice :) It was probably me being delusional like :p That, or it was one of those slimming mirrors!

Its just weird how one day I can love my shape and the next day I can loathe it. I wish I could feel this good about myself all the time.

Sometimes you just need to take a step back and look at yourself as a whole, once in a while, as opposed to through a microscope, constantly. The results can be surprising, as you've just found out :)

Your shoulders are possibly hurting as you've had a bit of a break and then you've given them a bit of a hammering on the cross trainer.

I've not been for around 3 weeks now and will be heading back tomorrow and I certainly expect to be a bit sore afterwards. It's amazing how a short break can have such an effect. It's normal.
  • Options
    Baked Beans are fine really in moderation but be aware they are pretty high in sugar and salt & a can is about 300+ cals or something
  • Options
    I use tesco healthy living ones, not as nice at first but you soon adjust

they are lower in salt and sugar which is where the healthy bit comes from
  • Options
    Haha sounds good Rach!

I had a month long binge before cleaning up this week

A tub of pringles is nothing

When I cheat it's usually something like this -

1 x family sized pizza
    1 or 2 x cheese n chips
    1 x garlic baguette
    5 x pints stella
    Lots of crisps and dip
    Chocolate Eclair

Mmmmm, makes me hungry just thinking about it

Although I haven't drank now for over 2 weeks, which is a record of my lifetime :yippe:
  • Options
    I've got a question.

I currently weigh 11st, and have stayed the same weight for about 5 years.
    I don't drink alcohol and I don't eat junk food very much at all. However I do lead a pretty much sedentary lifestyle, with the exception of a 20 min daily yoga session.

What would I need to do to lose 3 stone and to keep it off without having to live in the gym?
  • Options
    how long is a piece of string?