Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The 'Weightloss and increased fitness' thread.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Actually I'mg lad you asked, good idea on this one -

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/rossboxing2.htm

also rossboxing.com is a great resource, some good skipping and bag routines
  • Options
    go_away - your routine looks excellent, well done!

Impressed with the snatches! ;)

If I was you I'd switch the lat pull down for a row variation like bent over rows, one arm DB rows (these are my personal favs) or chest supported rows etc

Would also switch one bench day to a wide grip dip and see how you get on as they fill my chest right out, although you may need the assistance machine for them

But even if you don't that looks solid
  • Options
    Actually I'mg lad you asked, good idea on this one -

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/rossboxing2.htm

also rossboxing.com is a great resource, some good skipping and bag routines

Ahh I see.

Cool, so I should repeat that cycle about 10 times a day?
  • Options
    Does anyone else find it really hard to eat well and be healthy when they're in a relationship? When I look back on my life, the times I have been single have been the times I've been slimmest and fittest, mainly due to having extra time to go to the gym.

My boyfriend's lifestyle tends to really encourage me to laze around, drink more than usual, and eat crap :( It's ok for him, he has a really good body despite eating crap and drinking beer.
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »
    Does anyone else find it really hard to eat well and be healthy when they're in a relationship? When I look back on my life, the times I have been single have been the times I've been slimmest and fittest, mainly due to having extra time to go to the gym.

My boyfriend's lifestyle tends to really encourage me to laze around, drink more than usual, and eat crap :( It's ok for him, he has a really good body despite eating crap and drinking beer.

Totally agree! Before I got with my boyfriend takeaway was something I had occasionally, it was a really exciting thing too me (sad I know) now we have it like every weekend, it's ridiculous, not to mention a waste of money.

I need to go to the gym today, but there's so much other stuff to do I probably aren't gonna get chance.
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »

Opposite actually, for me. But then I'd say it's always been my pals rather than boyfriend who encourage the eating like a pig and drinking like a fish lifestyle ;) I'm on the "no time" diet at the moment and when I do eat I genuinely want to eat healthily (for the first time in my life!). Also, not that I'd recommend motherhood for this purpose, but babies are the best weights ever!

As for this thread, does anyone on here do a lot of running? There's a nice riverbank run by our new flat and I'd be interested in taking it up. I used to go jogging when I was about 15 but er... it was non-too successful since I felt like I was about to collapse after reaching the end of the drive. Any tips? I guess good running shoes are a must, anything else I should know/do?
  • Options
    lacrymosa wrote: »
    Urgh. I hate fasting. Water is so dull

Don't do it then. :(

It seriously is not the way to go about losing weight in a healthy way. I'm sure you already know that so I will shut up now.
  • Options
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    Ahh I see.

Cool, so I should repeat that cycle about 10 times a day?

Well pick a circuit and repeat it 10 times in one workout mate, not throughout the day! lol
  • Options
    briggi wrote: »
    Opposite actually, for me. But then I'd say it's always been my pals rather than boyfriend who encourage the eating like a pig and drinking like a fish lifestyle ;) I'm on the "no time" diet at the moment and when I do eat I genuinely want to eat healthily (for the first time in my life!). Also, not that I'd recommend motherhood for this purpose, but babies are the best weights ever!

As for this thread, does anyone on here do a lot of running? There's a nice riverbank run by our new flat and I'd be interested in taking it up. I used to go jogging when I was about 15 but er... it was non-too successful since I felt like I was about to collapse after reaching the end of the drive. Any tips? I guess good running shoes are a must, anything else I should know/do?

I would say these days for about 40 quid you can get a really good pair of running shoes, I use asics.

That feeling of dying is normal, I still do it everytime, you just get used to it.

Basically, pace yourself a LOT, really over pace yourself go slow or it's going to be a mess at the end.

Then I promise you the first say 15-20 minutes is a killer, maybe less bit say that tops, after that you get into anaerobic breathing and it just becomes nice like you can go on for ages.

It won't feel it at the time but trust me, but just make sure you go VERY slowly! And if you start getting out of breath keep running but drop the pace then increase a bit when comfortable :)
    I only started jogging again this year after a year lay off, before that hadn't done it for years so I know this feeeling very well lol
  • Options
    Urgh. I hate fasting. Water is so dull!

I'm on a 5 day fast because I put on weight over the weekend! Only a few pounds but eurgh, I can't go gym this week so need to make it up somehow.

4 days to go until I can eat, lol.

Seriously - that's just fucking stupid. You're not eating enough as it is.

Ever wonder why weight goes on so quickly after a crash diet? I've told you all about this, and about not getting enough calories several times now and yet you're STILL ignoring facts.

:yeees: :banghead:
  • Options
    It's either very stupid or attention seeking...
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote: »
    :yeees:

I'm failing on the whole healthy eating part of it. I cooked so much pasta that I had to use a whole jar (generally only use half) I ate all of it as well :o *uber greed*..... and then the belgian choccies (that are actually from belgium) started talking to me :(

Is pasta unhealthy? :( Its so delicious. :crying: Is there a healthier alternative?
  • Options
    Attention seeking :p

Nah, I'm just detoxing. Had so much rubbish over the weekend :lol:

My mate fasts all the time :yes:

why bother?

do you think it's good for your health and mentally?

Why don't you just stick to a good diet and do some cardio?

A bad weekend doesnt = fast

It just means maybe do another run or something..

Seriously Stace cummon, use your noggin
  • Options
    ok so you post in a fitness thread about starving yourself

great advice and example you are setting to others
  • Options
    Yeah - then you'll want to do it again after xmas. It's never just the once. But I agree, bragging about starving yourself in a fitness thread isn't a good example.
  • Options
    Starving yourself for 5 days because you ate fatty foods at the weekend is the daffest thing I've heard in a while!! Surely you would be so exhausted and depressed by the end of it. Your body NEEDS food for energy to keep your ograns working, your brain working..it doesn't make sense to starve it of that?

You're falling into the trap of yo-yo dieting (although it sounds like an extreme version). I did it for years and it never did me any good. I now have a stable weight due to me eating consistently rather than starving myself then binging. And I'm sooo much happier for it.
  • Options
    If I was you I'd switch the lat pull down for a row variation like bent over rows, one arm DB rows (these are my personal favs) or chest supported rows etc

Would also switch one bench day to a wide grip dip and see how you get on as they fill my chest right out, although you may need the assistance machine for them

Might need to wait a while before I hit anything with a wide grip! Managed 3 pullups in a row last night :eek: was mighty impressed.

With the one armed rows, are you talking about these?

Think I'm also ready to add some more weight to my deadlift. I'm much more confident with my form, so maybe after Christmas I'll add something small like 2.5kgs to it.
  • Options
    Yeah that's the one armed rows.

http://www.exrx.net/ is a great resource as well for technical details on lifts etc

The best site ever was a uni in america called BSU they had an awesome index of stuff but it seems to be down all the time at the moment

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/BackGeneral/DBBentOverRow.html

Guy looks naked in that mind lol

RE the dips, problem with close grip dips is that they hit the tri's rather than the lats, good if you want to work on your arms though ;)
  • Options
    Thought I'd join :)

I'm doing good with my weightloss and fitness at the moment! Lost 6lbs in the last 3 weeks, got my body fat down to 20%, which my boyfriend said is the same as a footballers but I dunno about that :chin: and got my BMI down to 19 :thumb:

I'm even seeing results now, like my legs are becoming more defined and I can see muscle now not fat, which is always a good thing.

And my diet is better than ever since stopping eating meat, bread and dairy and increasing the amount of water I drink :yes:
  • Options
    footballers are more like 10%

But then women and men are very different 20% on a man would not be attractive IMO but in a woman then it's a very nice place to sit :)
  • Options
    piecesofme wrote: »
    And my diet is better than ever since stopping eating meat, bread and dairy and increasing the amount of water I drink :yes:

What dya eat then? Out of interest :)
  • Options
    Lol pretty much fuck all, my diet is pretty boring :rolleyes: My mum belives I live on a lettuce leaf, an apple and thin air a day...shes close ;)

Generally I'll have:

Breakfast: Porride with rice milk or a smoothi.

Lunch: These wheat free ryvita type things with some tomatoe salsa on or soup.

Tea: Roasted tomatoes, mushrooms, onions and sweet potatoe in olive oil and balsamic vinegar or quorn type stuff.
  • Options
    Lol pretty much fuck all, my diet is pretty boring :rolleyes: My mum belives I live on a lettuce leaf, an apple and thin air a day...shes close ;)

Generally I'll have:

Tea: Roasted tomatoes, mushrooms, onions and sweet potatoe in olive oil and balsamic vinegar or quorn type stuff.

I wouldnt call that a good diet tbh - seriously, why is everyone starving themselves?
  • Options
    Honestly I'm not starving myself! I'm healthy and fine and I'm alot better than I used to be.

I have starved myself in the past, packed myself up with diet pills even ones with what I'm sure was anphetamines in them, but I'm trying not to anymore. So for me that is good!
  • Options
    Honestly I'm not starving myself! I'm healthy and fine and I'm alot better than I used to be.

I have starved myself in the past, packed myself up with diet pills even ones with what I'm sure was anphetamines in them, but I'm trying not to anymore. So for me that is good!

Its nowhere near enough calories to be healthy tbh.
  • Options
    Maybe it's not the recommended daily allowence but it's a hell of a lot better than my usual diet. So yeah, for me it IS an improvement!
  • Options
    Maybe it's not the recommended daily allowence but it's a hell of a lot better than my usual diet. So yeah, for me it IS an improvement!

Very little food doesn't necessarily mean a good diet.

Try supplementing what you are eating with fruit/nuts etc as snacks. What you're eating is healthy (to a point) - you just need MORE of it. Throw some wholemeal pasta in there. Also, raw veg + houmous is good for snacks. Try low fat cottage cheese on ryvita for your supper too. Sod all fat, but good protein etc in there.

I don't understand the extremes people seem to go between. Hold on - to clarify, what WAS your usual diet? Junk, or thin air? Just trying to work out which direction you're coming from with this.
  • Options

Generally I'll have:

Hello,

I don't think that your eating that badly - just you need to ensure that you have some more protien in your diet and a little more fibre - which you can get fairly easily by adding in a few more bits of fruit or carrots or cuecumber and some wholemeal rice bread or pasta.

I normally eat:

Breakfast: A bowl of bran flakes with friut and yoghurt

Lunch: Home made soup with an apple and depending on how thick it is a slice of bread.

Tea: usually something like - brown rice with lentils (for protien) in tomatoey type sauce with vegetables. Or a vegetable chillie with beans in it, or some kind of chicken dish - plus usually a bowl of salad.

My major downfall and the reason why i'm so lardy is eating out - which i do lots - well at least twice a week and sitting next to the goodie cabinet at work and eating lots of interesting but usually calorific snacks.

The US Healthy eating guidelines are a really good check for seeing if your diet is balenced or not http://www.nalusda.gov/fnic/Fpyr/pyramid.gif
  • Options
    It would be nice to have a site for support, i would be up for it
  • Options
    I got weighed today for the first time in ages - 87.35 kg, which means I've put on 3kg. :(

Still, since last Feb I've lost 5kg which I suppose isn't bad.

My diet's pretty bad right now,

Breakfast: Toast with butter, OJ
    Galaxy or something mid-morning, milkshake
    Lunch: shop bought salad or sandwhich, occasionally chips
    After school, sweets or something
    Tea: Occasionally chips, pizza, often pasta, fish things - whatever my Mum puts on...
    Before bed: toast

Obv need to make some changes!!

It was the extra exercise I was doing that was helping me lose weight - sit ups mainly or power-walking, I need to get back into it again.