Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The 'Weightloss and increased fitness' thread.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    lacrymosa wrote: »
    I went to the chippy last night with my friend. Not good :no:

Why is it that when I'm with my friends, I eat shit?

Making up for it today :yes:

Going to have a red pepper stuffed with cous cous for tea along with a piece of grilled chicken :yum:

Rubbish isn't it. It's not my friends that are bad but my boyfriend! He can eat and eat what he wants and doesn't put an ounce on. He's always buying things like cheesecake and other desserts that just make you drool with yummyness. But I've told him I'm being good and now he's started comeing the gym with me he is being alot better with it!

Just don't let yourself give into them and if you know that you will be going somewhere with them and may get food take something alog with you that you can eat instead. Or suggest going somehwere else that is a bit healthier.
  • Options
    well fruit and fibre is quite healthy isnt it?

Wouldn't know. I suppose it is if the carbs are complex and isn't packed with added sugar?
    Quick question, how healthy/unhealthy is it to dry fry courgettes as a snack?

Sounds fine, although I don't think I could eat them plain.
    OMg courgettes I would definitely avoid those!

:confused:
  • Options
    Lankygirl wrote: »
    does anyone else find that when they are going to the gym, doing weights, that their clothes actually get tighter, when half the reason you went int he first place was to lose inches as well as get fit? whats the story there? any takers?

am afraid if I clench buttocks in my fitted combats, am going to have an incredible hulk moment!

Please guys, its getting worse, cannot comfortably do up work trousers that were ok b4. have been eating healthily, so dont think its extra lard.

HELP!:crazyeyes
  • Options
    Where are they getting tigher? As your body shape changes, your clothes will fit differently. My trousers are fitting more snugly around my buttocks as they're changing shape, but are looser around my waist.
  • Options
    I discovered yesterday that Burger King, contrary to what I previously thought, is actually fucking disgusting.

I'm so glad I've started eating properly, else I'd never have found that out :D.
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »
    Where are they getting tigher? As your body shape changes, your clothes will fit differently. My trousers are fitting more snugly around my buttocks as they're changing shape, but are looser around my waist.

thats whats happening! I dont want that to happen, I'll incredible hulk out of all my jeans/trews etc. even though am getting buns of steel. (:lol: )
  • Options
    thats whats happening! I dont want that to happen

Why not? It's a good sign! Your arse is getting perkier so it's lifting and going to feel tighter in your clothes, give your clothes a chance to get used to it and they'll adjust to your shape.
    I'll incredible hulk out of all my jeans/trews etc.

It's impossible. Even if you have a type of body that puts on muscle easily (which again, is impossible for women unless you sit on a needle attached to a syringe full of anabolics) it's only a relative gain.

If you're not convinced have a read of this guy's stuff here and here :)
  • Options
    thanks mate, I hope you are right, because Im starting to enjoy my gym visits-thought that would never happen!
    am starting a dance class on Fri night 2!
  • Options
    Hate to break it to you, but it'll take some serious training and substance abuse to have an incredible hulk moment :D;) It's something that most women are terrified off, but it really is impossible. It took me a long time to get my head around the notion that building muscle will make me smaller, but it did. People tend to assume that if you want to get smaller, you have to make losses, and if a person is overweight, then yes, they'll need to lose some fat, but building muscle helps that process.

Glad to hear you're enjoying it though, it's especially a good feeling when you start to see physical changes. Keep it up, just remember if you're getting bigger overall (including in your chin) then perhaps it's time for some fork put-downs and table push-aways ;) but to me it sounds like your glutes are enjoying it :D
  • Options
    I had a happy meal last night. I was locked out of my boyfriends in the cold, and it was the only place nearby that I could go and sit in. I guess at least a happy meal is better than a full size meal, and I did have pure orange juice rather than pop. And I got a free Guess Who game :)
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »
    Sounds fine, although I don't think I could eat them plain.
    Dry fried courgettes with a sprinkling of salt and pepper... phwoar!!!

Eta; I've only recently come to notice how much my body HATES McDonald's. I hadn't had one in months, and then the other week I had one and my stomach went ballistic, felt legargic, gassy and uncomfortably bloated. Safe to say I won't be eating many Maccy D's anymore!!
  • Options
    I did my 1st training session today

Not only am I fat, small and weak

I also managed to fucking hurt my back, got a heat pack on it now so hopefully I can still train again on the weekend.. and get myself in to the chiro on Monday

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: << DOESNT EVEN COME CLOSE TO HOW I FEEL
  • Options
    I have managed to stay off the McDs 2, my bf refuses 2 come in with me when I ask for a cheeseburger with no meat.

On a positive note I have managed 2 gym sessions this week, feeling absolutly shattered after todays session, nearly crawled to the shower! But feeling better for it, can't wait to start seeing more changes!
  • Options
    I boycott McDs for ethical reasons anyway :p
  • Options
    Not actually related to me but I'm a bit worried about my Dad. He was telling me on the phone about how him and his wifey have started going to this weight loss group thing (bit like weight watchers but local) and are trying to lose weight. He was saying the woman lost 14 stone but put it all back on again and is now trying to lose it, which doesn't give me the greatest confidence in her methods. That and apparently his calorie limit for the day is set at 1650kcals; he weighs about 15 stone so that seems far too low to me from what you ladies and gents in the know have said before.

I just feel a little concerned and wondered if it was based on anything or just concern for my Dad. If he wants to lose weight then fair enough but I'd rather he was healthy and not going to pile it straight on again like the woman leading the group apparently has done.
  • Options
    I didn't realize how popular this thread would be. I'm glad people are feeling good about doing something about this :D

Now, I need some tips on how I can set myself to start jogging/running? How would I build it up slowly over a period of 6-12 months? :)
  • Options
    Curvy_lass wrote: »

Now, I need some tips on how I can set myself to start jogging/running? How would I build it up slowly over a period of 6-12 months? :)

Get some runners on, some suitable clothes and go for a run... See how you do.

THEN

Increase distance/gradients over time, and maybe throw in some intervals.

I'd focus on just getting outside and moving first, then thinking about each run in turn. Unless you want to hit a specific distance/time target, thinking about your running in 6/12 months is a waste of time. :)
  • Options
    I would try and do a nice steady paced 20-30 minutes jog to start
  • Options
    I can't even do 5mins without my heart feeling like it's going to fall out of my chest!!
  • Options
    Curvy_lass wrote: »
    I can't even do 5mins without my heart feeling like it's going to fall out of my chest!!

As I said, just get out on the road and see how you do! If you get knackered, walk for a bit, then run again.

Just try getting round the block (for example) first.
  • Options
    I feel like that after 5 mins too

The trick is to pace yourself properly

However fast you think you're going to run, halve it, JOG very slowly, barely faster than walking.. then it's mind over matter really, the 1st 10-20 mins I always feel like I'm going to die.

And as g_angel said, you can adjust your pace if you feel like it's getting out of control.

Good luck!

Phil
  • Options
    Thanks guys!

You're fab at this support stuff :D
  • Options
    anything for a curvy lass:D ;)
  • Options
    oohh nooo!! I just weighed myself after not having done so since... About march maybe. And according to my scales (which have always been pretty accurate) I've put on more than 2 stone!!!!! I prepared myself for the worst but even still.. I hadn't expected so much!!

In still a size 12 so its not as if I've become a whale.. But considering I used to be an 8/10 depending on shop makes me very sad/annoyed!

Ohhh!! I guess now I better get my arse in gear and lose the weight then!! I've just restarted weightwatchers and have taken up doing more exercise for last week.. So hopefully Ill see a little loss by next Friday!! :(
  • Options
    How is weightwatchers? I've never gone to anything like that but I've heard good things about it. I went with my Mum to Rosemary Conley classes a few times, I thought they were good because you actually do an aerobic session as well as just focussing on food.

I've been thinking about how hard it is for "normal" people to lose weight compared to celebrities or people who don't work or those with lots of money. Take Natalie Cassidy (Sonia from Eastenders).

She has lost 2.5 stones since she left Eastenders, and she looks amazing. It's quite an inspiration.
    http://www.nowmagazine.co.uk/celeb_news/EastEnders_Sonia__aka_Natalie_Cassidy_How_I_lost_2st_article_171206.html

But the fact is, she had the time to dedicate herself to the cause, and the money for a personal trainer and possibly meal plans, nice food delivered etc.

I always found it a lot easier to lose weight when I was at university and had the spare time to go to the gym, cook properly etc.

By the way, this is what Natalie says she eats in an average day now:
    Breakfast Cereal with skimmed milk
    Lunch Salad and roast chicken in a wholemeal pitta bread
    Dinner Baked fish served with vegetables
    Snacks The odd glass of white wine, fruit

That really wouldn't fill me up. Especially the breakfast part.
  • Options
    I boycott McDs for ethical reasons anyway :p

What ethical reasons?
  • Options
    Dry fried courgettes with a sprinkling of salt and pepper... phwoar!!!

If that floats your boat!
    I boycott McDs for ethical reasons anyway

Can it even be classed as food? :p
    I just feel a little concerned and wondered if it was based on anything or just concern for my Dad. If he wants to lose weight then fair enough but I'd rather he was healthy and not going to pile it straight on again like the woman leading the group apparently has done.

Tell your dad to stay away from this woman. If she's going on a holiday (i.e. losing weight) and coming back with extra baggage, then something is obviously very flawed with her methods (and seems to know sweet sod all about nutrition anyway)

If he's keen on entering a fitness programme and losing weight for good, then I'd recommend a programme like Body for Life. My boyfriend is using this programme at the moment and he's making progress in leaps and bounds, and I used it when I started out and I found it very effective, especially as it has a nice way of explaining muscle gain/fat loss and nutrition in laymans terms - which is what you need really when starting out. It's obviously not the be and end all of shaping up, but it's a very good place to start for people just starting out.
  • Options
    I've been thinking about how hard it is for "normal" people to lose weight compared to celebrities or people who don't work or those with lots of money. Take Natalie Cassidy (Sonia from Eastenders).

To some extent, I agree, and you can't deny that celebs don't have an army of chefs/personal trainers/etc to their disposal. But, I think it's as easy or as hard as you make it. There will always be factors you can't control, but having a positive mindset can really help.

When I first wanted to 'tone up' in my first year of university, I had more money and more time at my disposal. I also had a gym that was a 5 minute walk away from me. But, I didn't educate myself on things like basic nutrition, or set my goals properly (I just wanted a nice firm body) and I believed the hype about cardio, so I'd spend an hour on the cross trainer, and sometimes I'd lift some very light weights. The weight didn't come off, and my body didn't change shape. I gave up, thinking the whole 'diet and exercise thing' hadn't worked for me, and then my money started to go, and my course became more stressful, and any other thing I could cling onto became a reason to prevent me from doing something.

Now I have much more limited time (listening to heart murmur wav files as I type this :p), less money, and my gym takes me 45-60 minutes to get to. Only I made the decision to really make an effort and become aware of what I was doing. So I read up on basic nutrition and started eating properly (which doesn't break the bank as much as I thought it could once I sought out cheap places to buy fruit/veg and buying and cooking in bulk). I read numerous books on fitness and made my goals and stuck to them. In a year, I've been amazed at the difference.

And yes, I don't have a family or other responsibilities like that, but I study hard, am in the middle of moving house and have the general stresses like everyone else. I'm just not willing to allow the factors not in my control (money/time/not being a celeb) to dictate how things are going to turn out. I see people do that everyday - I used to be one of the first people who would do that, and it didn't make a better life for me.
  • Options
    Gosh, she was quite big for just 10 stones eh. I didn't size 16/18 till I was at least 14 stones, and I'm 5ft4 too.

ETA: That last pic of her in the gallery, she looks amazing :D
  • Options
    I don't believe that she was 10 stone to start with!

I'm looking forward to next week, I'm going swimming! Not looking forward to walking round in my costume.