Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

The 'Weightloss and increased fitness' thread.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Even 14 pounds is very impressive! Good going :D

Thanks. Still another 56lbs to go!!!:impissed:
  • Options
    or... your 20% to your goal already ;)
  • Options
    or... your 20% to your goal already ;)

Oh, I did not think about it like that. Now, that puts a smile on my face. THANKS!!!!!! :)
  • Options
    If I'm lucky, the gym will re-open tomorrow! rawwwwr!!

I'm actually also thinking about doing my HIIT in my local swimming pool. Start with freestyle and it'd be ace if I could graduate to doing the butterfly down the line.

I've definitely put on a little weight recently but I don't care that much. I'm just really missing the exercise! I was only walking and doing minor stuff the past two weeks. :S
  • Options
    My recovery time has got much better. For the first couple of weeks of this exercise programme I was aching and feeling really bad for about 3-4 days after a gym workout, now I feel okay the next day!

I even went for a couple of (very short) jogs last week. I was wondering, is it bad for you to exercise consecutive days? I know you need some rest days (and there is no way that I'd not be having lots of those!) but would it be a bad idea to do exercise the day after?
  • Options
    I went to the gym yest for the first time since knackering my knee, introduced HITT training at the end of my workout and nearly died! only managed 5 minutes before I had an asthma attack. Have finally sorted my eating out, even managing breakfast now!
  • Options
    Sorry to be a pedant, but is it HIIT or HITT
  • Options
    Hiit!
  • Options
    Good good.

My pushups are coming along nicely.
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    Sorry to be a pedant, but is it HIIT or HITT

The confusion usually stems from HIT weight training

And HIIT cardio training
  • Options
    maybe someone could help me out here:

i'm actually getting serious about loosing some weight as i will not have my ex calling me fat and for many other reasons but anyway. i'm the biggest i have been since 2005, i've put on a stone since xmas, and aparently i need to loose 23 pounds, but how long should that take me and how many pounds a week should i be loosing?

thanks
  • Options
    Now that I have a full time job I'm joining weight watchers again. I've put on a few but more importantly i have high cholesterol and blood pressure. I did weight watchers last year and it really helped me eat healthier then and for quite a while after but I've lost all hope lately no matter how many oranges and heads of lettuce I buy they just sit in the fridge until its time to throw them away.

So hoepfully it will help again. Though I had to have a laugh. It told me at the most I should weigh 20lbs less than I do. I may be a little jiggly but I'm not that jiggly :p

I don't really care about the weight loss bit too much. I'll have more blood work done in about 4 months and I think that should be sufficient time to reduce it a bit.

I bought oatmeal with 7g of fiber per serving ;)
    I've tried the oatmeal bit several times before. I get so sick of it after a box or two. Oh well, it can't hurt to eat it until it grosses me out!

The hardest part will be to cut down the alcohol. I know last time I did it when I drank once or twice a week the weight just fell off but when I drank as usual I'd stay the same or gain. Plus I know I should cut it down for health reasons too.
  • Options
    maybe someone could help me out here:

i'm actually getting serious about loosing some weight as i will not have my ex calling me fat and for many other reasons but anyway. i'm the biggest i have been since 2005, i've put on a stone since xmas, and aparently i need to loose 23 pounds, but how long should that take me and how many pounds a week should i be loosing?

thanks

I think 1-2 lbs a week is recommended.

Good luck with it :)
  • Options
    Yep, I'm officially a gym member now!! Got some passes to keep us going until our memberships starts in May so woot. Here's to losing 3+ stone!!! haha.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    I think 1-2 lbs a week is recommended.

Good luck with it :)
    thats 6 months....thats shit! :(

i'm going to get bored and end up staying a ugly fat hag
  • Options

Why are you deciding that before you even start?? :confused: If you enter training with that mindset then of course you'll find out that you were right.
  • Options

You do realise that it's not just the 6 months, if you want to stay at your ideal weight then, you'll have to carry on doing the exercise, what's going to happen after you reach your target weight?

losing weight/getting fitter is a long term thing, you can't expect things to work overnight.
  • Options
    Well i had a panic thinking id put on 2/3kgs since 1st of april

After 2/3 days of often going to the toilet for (solid) poos, im actually just a tad under the weight i was just after i got weighed on the 1st. Yes ladies and gentlemen, i was full of shit!

On a bit of a diet of wholegrain brown rice, fish and soya at the moment.
  • Options
    Yep, I'm officially a gym member now!! Got some passes to keep us going until our memberships starts in May so woot. Here's to losing 3+ stone!!! haha.

Congrats Have fun with it :D
  • Options
    You do realise that it's not just the 6 months, if you want to stay at your ideal weight then, you'll have to carry on doing the exercise, what's going to happen after you reach your target weight?

losing weight/getting fitter is a long term thing, you can't expect things to work overnight.
    but then why bother it means that i'll be forever not being able to eat what i want to eat (and my diet really isn't bad at all), and having to do exercise i hate....

sorry i'm not feeling great about a lot of things and i suppose that loosing weight shouldn't really be a huge priority of mine right now, but i'm not a health freak, and i don't want to be, i jsut want to be the weight i was last summer. i haven't done anything much different since then apart from 3 months of shit eating and naff all exercise due to not being allowed to.

i'm very angry about it all... i've never enjoyed sport because i fall over or bump into things all of the time. the sports i do enjoy mean i have to pay money to do them i.e. martial arts classes or going for a bike ride (have no bike)
  • Options
    TT, maybe it would help you cope with the weight lose if you broke it down into small amounts. Rather than thinking about how long it might take to lose the whole amount you'd like to lose, think about losing the first half stone. With a couple of pounds a week you could lose that within a month.

I relate to what you are saying and have heard the same issue framed in different ways from many fellow mental health patients- not always to do with weight lose but usually to do with making a major change in ones life that is hard to do when suffering from depresion and other MH problems but that could actually make you feel better longer term. I guess only you can weigh up how you feel at the moment, how gaining weight has made you feel and how losing weight might make you feel. I'm not suggesting for one moment that losing the weight will make your problems go away, but I can see from your posts on here that your current weight is contributing to your continuing low self-esteem and low mood. Maybe losing a little of the weight would help you feel better about yourself?

Good luck with whatever you decide to do :)
  • Options
    but then why bother it means that i'll be forever not being able to eat what i want to eat (and my diet really isn't bad at all), and having to do exercise i hate....

sorry i'm not feeling great about a lot of things and i suppose that loosing weight shouldn't really be a huge priority of mine right now, but i'm not a health freak, and i don't want to be, i jsut want to be the weight i was last summer. i haven't done anything much different since then apart from 3 months of shit eating and naff all exercise due to not being allowed to.

i'm very angry about it all... i've never enjoyed sport because i fall over or bump into things all of the time. the sports i do enjoy mean i have to pay money to do them i.e. martial arts classes or going for a bike ride (have no bike)

Well that's the reality of the situation, if you aren't willing to change your diet or do exercise then you are stuck with what you have now. As said, try and focus on smaller short term goals, makes things seem more manageable and less daunting.

Hitting each of those targets should be some sort of boost to show that you are making progress.

I am sure you can set aside a little each week to go get a bike, second hand jobby from local paper or something shouldn't cost that much at all.

I'm sure everyone would like to eat what they want and not do any exercise and be at their ideal weight but apart from the genetically blessed, that's just not going to happen, unless your food tastes run to the very healthy!
  • Options
    It doesnt look too bad on the picture, but by god it hurts!

And at least its stopped bleeding now.
  • Options
    Omg...

I have pretty much dropped a trowser size!
  • Options
    Actually I'll focus on losing weight too. My biggest pants are now hurting my hips and tummy :(

But it will start Sunday. I need the rest of the week to prepare, aka get one last death by chocolate and buffet and eat till I hurt. Get it all out of the way ;)

I don't plan on changing much. Just eat a giant orange and drink lots of water before so when I do eat and snack I can not eat as much but still be full. That should work. I don't think my diet is bad... its just it's ment for four people.
  • Options
    just like to let you all know that i have just hit my two stone weight loss!

a big thanks to you all for the advice and encouragement xx
  • Options
    just like to let you all know that i have just hit my two stone weight loss!

a big thanks to you all for the advice and encouragement xx

Well done :thumb:

I've lost 3lbs since saturday, and my body fat is going down.

I actually feel quite good about myself and love going the gym even more atm :yes: :)
  • Options
    lacrymosa wrote: »

I've put on 2lbs :( My weight is fluctuating so much...sigh. Its my own fault, I've eaten shit these past two days as I've been with my mates!

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    I thought that since I've kinda fallen off the wagon a bit I should come back into this thread (just this one) to get my motivation back. Working at McDonalds is not a good thing tbh. I have started being healthier again now I'm back at uni BUT I'm worried about what will happen when I get back home again (in 3 weeks...). There will be no gym, and I will be at work for 3 months. I'm gonna try and bike the 4 miles there and back every day (unless I have a late shift) and get the exercise bike out the garage but I'm not sure how much that will do when I'm gonna find it hard to do healthy eating.

I HAVE lost weight though and it is staying off. I am now 12st 3.4lbs, compared to 12st8lbs like 3 months ago. Hurrah! You can tell, as well. My stomach is much flatter and my dad said that my bum looks smaller (:D). But it seems to have stuck at the weight I am now and I would prefer to be at about 11 and a half stone, just so I can FEEL better. I know I look better but the numbers are making me a bit blah because I'm still heavier than Rich and that makes me sad.

I need some advice about my diet. It's not awful but I'm sure it could be better:

Breakfast: 2 or 4 slices of wholemeal toast with pate, some apple or orange juice.
    Snack: banana or apple or both
    Lunch: roasted vege cous cous or a ham and lettuce sandwich with an apple/banana/muller one a day yoghurt.
    Dinner: Pasta (wholemeal) with either tomato and basil sauce with pepper or baked beans and sausage, always with cheese, OR grilled chicken and salad (lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, pepper) and a muller one a day yoghurt.#

I usually have a litre or more of juice per day as well.

BUT my main downfalls are cheese and salt. I don't know what I can replace them with though :/. I'm sure you lot can help me though :D.

On a side note, it feels really weird posting again...
  • Options
    Hey Franki, welcome back :wave: :)

Well done with your weight loss :thumb:

Your diet looks pretty good tbh, maybe swap the juice for water and instead of toast for breakfast maybe have porridge or musli instead!