Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Kate McCann will be formally declared a suspect by the Portuguese police

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Oh c'mon, like everybody else didn't have theories.
    "OH THE PEADOPHILE GOT HER."
    yeh, if it turns out to be the parents, that must make everyone in the UK an "armchair detective"

But thanks, you made me think of a wicked Elvis Costello song! :D
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »
    You know what really annoys me, is all the wannabe sleuth detectives, saying "I knew it from the start." FFS. Armchair Poirots!

whats worse? people giving their thoughts and feelings or complaining about it?

i know what side of the fence i sit on.

Jim, you'd have kittens if you were moderating the mirrors forums, quite funny to have a look at if any of you havent. some of the theories on there are just bizarre.
  • Options
    BritJamez wrote: »
    Well, it's the same as predicting a footy score.
    You can't see the future, but you can guess, according to previous results.

:lol: ... like predicting a footy score??????

I'd be interested in seeing the stories, like this situation, that you are able to put forward such a 'guess'. :)

Yes, infanticide does occur but can you imagine the unmentionable strain that is being put on these poor people if (or, rather, more than likely) they are innocent? Until proven that they are guilty, I won't even entertain the idea they are anything but innocent. It must be unbelievably awful.
  • Options
    koe_182 wrote: »
    whats worse? people giving their thoughts and feelings or complaining about it?

i know what side of the fence i sit on.

Jim, you'd have kittens if you were moderating the mirrors forums, quite funny to have a look at if any of you havent. some of the theories on there are just bizarre.

It's not the fact of people giving their thoughts, it is just the know-all attititude some of the comments people make seem to have. As if they, personally are so intelligent and all knowing that they KNOW what happened in an apartment hundreds of miles away. The police themselves don't seem to know what happened, so how would some random person watching TV in England know?
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    Well I just had a look as well, and what I can see in the Sun is them saying they didn't ever drug their children, and threatening to sue the newspaper that claimed they did. Repeating hearsay and half remembered stories doesn't make something fact, and if you describe it as fact you're committing libel and we'd be the ones getting sued.

It was there is black and white ffs.
  • Options
    Just for you Jim, I found this in the Daily Express.
    According to reports in the Portuguese press, police are examining the theory that the needle could have been used by Madeleine’s parents – both doctors – to administer sedatives to their children to help them sleep.

http://www2.dailyexpress.co.uk/news/view/17693
  • Options
    It's not the fact of people giving their thoughts, it is just the know-all attititude some of the comments people make seem to have. As if they, personally are so intelligent and all knowing that they KNOW what happened in an apartment hundreds of miles away. The police themselves don't seem to know what happened, so how would some random person watching TV in England know?

I am a know-all :razz:

na Im not really .. I think its a horrible situation but I have just had a hunch from the start that's all. Every body's guess is as good as any body elses and every one has the right to express their views and all that.
  • Options

agreed
  • Options
    Makoto wrote: »
    It was there is black and white ffs.

So, because a newspaper printed something then it "fact" is it? Yuo are having a laugh.

She has been declared a formal suspect. That isn't to say that she is guilty, that isn't to say that she drugged her children. It doesn't actually say anything at all - apart from implying that the police have some evidence which suggests that it could be her.

Well, hate to point this out, but in the UK parents are automatically formal suspects in an investigation like this.

Also worth noting that fairly recently the press were suggesting that Robert Murat was the guilty man. Funny how they are all quiet on this front at the moment, huh?
  • Options
    To be fair, I don't think anyone has the right to say "I think she did it" or "She's innocent" etc. We don't know all the facts, and we don't know what these people were like BEFORE their daughter went missing. Like, people say they seem shifty etc, but unless you know them, and know their personality, you can't say that it's because they're hiding something.

I do wonder what happened to the little girl though, bless her.
  • Options
    apparently the portuguese police think the mother accidently killed the girl.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6983604.stm

Its alll very strange.
  • Options
    I find it odd that they are being treated as suspects now, where it seemed to me they should have been treated as suspects to begin with. When I fist heard the story I thought that it didn't add up that they would have left young children alone like that in the first place, and secondly, and most jarringly that they would then have been going back to check on the every half an hour. If they'd considered the apartment a safe place to have left the children, why would they go back every 30 mins; if they were out enjoying an adult oriented meal, I doubt they'd have been up and downing all the time to go and make half hourly checks, it just doesn't ring true to me and from my experience of adult-child parties.

I'm not saying this in hindsight, I've thought and expressed it from the very first whiff mes amis. Poirot is a god!
  • Options
    If Kate McCann turns out to be guilty I will eat my hat..... no wait I will eat everyones hat.
  • Options
    I am not wearing a hat today, would you eat my moustache instead?
  • Options
    Things are turning nasty for all concerned.

I think the Portuguese are starting to get pissed off at the now nearly constant accusations of incompetence from sections of the British press. On the surface it does appear as if they have not taken the investigation seriously until late on and that blunders have happened. Then again the Portuguese laws and justice system are quite different from Britain's, and the truth is that nobody knows exactly what the police have been doing. There was a Portuguese journo on the radio today and she was wondering how could the British press know, for instance, that a full search of the flat was not conducted for three months, since the police were banned by law from saying whether it had or had not taken place at all, let alone at which stage in the investigation.

Having said that they did not manage the case very well in some areas. They did not liase with the Spanish police until nearly a week after the abduction (again, if press reports are to be believed), which strikes me as not the best of moves.

Regarding naming the mother as a suspect, well the fact is that we do not know what basis they have for it, and I think it's unfair to suggest that they're actually trying to entrap her because she's a soft target.

It is not unusual or unjustified to look closely at the parents since the immense majoirty of such crimes are actually commited by members of the immediate family.

While I'm sure they were acting with the best intentions, I suspect the McCanns are now starting to regret the unbelievably high profile campaign they have mounted around their daughter's dissapearance. The whole thing is descending- further- into a rather unpleasant three ring circus.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    I am not wearing a hat today, would you eat my moustache instead?

Fuck no! You must have a hat of some description ?
  • Options
    I dont think the parents had anything to do with it but then who am i to say i just hope she is found safe but its not looking good its all so very sad x:(
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    Fuck no! You must have a hat of some description ?

I left my bowler hat at my good friend Hasting's house.
  • Options
    I absolutely detest this trial by media which is going on. It's none of our business what has happened to Madeleine. It's something for the parents and the family. The media should fuck off and leave them alone.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    I absolutely detest this trial by media which is going on. It's none of our business what has happened to Madeleine. It's something for the parents and the family. The media should fuck off and leave them alone.

That goes both ways. As earlier stated by so many others, the McCanns were pretty good at using the media to their advantage to begin with.
    That said, had my child disappeared I would probably have done everything in my power to keep the case and search going. But one can't expect that you can just "switch off" the media presence.
    This is one of the times where I'll have to agree with Aladdin.
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote: »
    This is one of the times where I'll have to agree with Aladdin.
    The first of many, I can only hope;)

Good to see you round these parts anyways :)
  • Options
    BritJamez wrote: »
    I said it from the start! Both doctors - easily drugged, body hidden somewhere, picked up 25 days later and dumped in the sea with bricks... husband knows nothing about it - although will no doubt be charged with accessory to murder.

Thanks for that Columbo :thumb:

All I'll say is that I really hope all of this is a load of BS.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    All that I'll say is that I didn't use to be bothered much about this case, as so many children disappear every year. But now it's caught my curiocity. It will be interesting to see what will be revealed in the end (if something will) because based on what I've read both possibilites (parents doing it or not) sound equally believable.
  • Options
    Hands up who's been thinking this the whole time?
  • Options
    So we are all agreed, she's guilty? :lol:
  • Options
    remember that 'road rage' victim who creid ans wailed and appealed through the media for leads? Didn't it transpire that she went loony with a screwdriver all by herself?
  • Options
    Well, does anyone else think that the mother has a pretty bod for a 39 year old? Sorry but it had to be said, someone else must of noticed.
  • Options
    shame about the face though, eh?
  • Options
    Well, does anyone else think that the mother has a pretty bod for a 39 year old? Sorry but it had to be said, someone else must of noticed.

I think she looks horribly thin. She probably hasn't been eating much.
  • Options
    pinkscarf wrote: »
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6982969.stm

why would the police even suspect the mother of anything?

this beginning to sound more like a plot of a suspense novel

MOST murders are committed by someone the victim knew, so friends and family are normally suspects anyway.