Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Kate McCann will be formally declared a suspect by the Portuguese police

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The chief investigator is being investigated for botching previous investigations and accusing the wrong people to get rid of the case quickly. The tourism industry is being damaged. They are also being attacked for not putting this much effort(LOL) into other missing persons.
    i havent read that story yet but i'll have a look, what about Gerry Mccann being investigated for clinical negligence before? could that not be relevant?
    DNA as in strands of hair off the parents clothing? all she has to ahve done is tot ouch a surface and they can get DNA of the person who touched it. I'm sure cuddle cat and other clothing will ahve her DNA on.
    i actually meant how could they fake DNA evidence mate
    Thatd epends on how well the investigation has been run, the whole point, which is true, is that the investigation over there is a shambles.
    we dont know the full story, fair enough i will accept they were a bit slow to react with initially, but we dont actually know if they've had their eye on the mccanns since the beginning, maybe they've known the truth for a while but waiting for more evidence to prove a stronger charge.
    You're following the story the press tells you. A lot of it is bullshit, they've changed their tune over the course of the situation, one minute they support them, the next they're telling stories like he isnt the realf ather, they knew the main suspect all a long, that they buried her in a chruch that they have been praying at, hopign they can find ehr again.

If all that is really true then why don't they arrest them already?

It's all bullshit, main reason? it sells papers and portugal wants this case solved FAST.

of course the press will do what is needed to sell papers, but of course the people saying that its a fit up and that the police investigation has been dodgy have been getting it from the same sources.

its all or nothing as far as im concerned, you cant pick and choose what you think is correct when it comes from the same source.

:thumb:
  • Options
    but the rumour/story at the moment is that they have found "bodily fluid" as well as hair, and the hair was in the storage compartment under the boot carpet, it just sounds a bit far fetched that it just "got there"
  • Options
    Thanks for your expert 'opinion', Matt.

It's not just hair in the car - bodily fluids too. Also it's been claimed a "substantial amount" which could not have rubbed off from clothing etc. Do you honestly think investigators - people who do this for a living - were dumb enough not to think "wait a sec, this could've got in here from SOME CLOTHES"?

The parents would have been the first suspects had the investigation taken place over here, if only to rule them out. Stop with the mindless speculation.

'Those Portugese police, eh lads? Bunch of no good foreigners, pinning murder onto us Brits.'
  • Options
    Apparently they are long friends with the main suspect, have accidently killed their daughter and managed to get rid fo the body among the 24/7 media coverage and buried her at the local church they pray at, they sedated their chidlren to keep them quiet loads of stuff, i've missed one out too i think.

The most likely story is the girl has been kidnapped and the police can't find her and are under pressure to finish the case quickly and be done with it. Things are done differently in other countries, the justice system is different and so are the attitudes by police and media.

you just can't believe anythign you read in the papers.

or maybe thats what TeamMccann want you to believe? what im trying to get at tho is that the same papers you are critising are the ones that also originally told you the stories about the main suspect and that she'd been taken abroad etc...

i think you are very naive to think that madeline is still safe somewhere, god wish she was, but the most likely case is that if she had been kidnapped is that she is dead by now.

noone could keep such hot property under wraps for this long, they couldnt go anywhere, altho having said that, there was that case in Belgium? a few years back where the girl was released after many years of abuse...

and SHOCK HORROR, everyone doesnt do things the same as us brits. whats to say their way of things could actually be better than ours? nothing, unless you are a expert on the worlds legal systems.
  • Options
    The evidence against them is a joke, the portugese police are just trying to pin it on them to get rid.

The chief investigator is already under investigation for botching his last assignment up and wrongly accusing people just to get rid of them!

Due to portugese law, theres not that many people who actually know what the evidence is. So how do you? From that, how do you know its a joke?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Would this be the wrong place to tell a little joke?

*decides it is. PM me if interested ;) *

Renault have brought out a new people carrier that's so comfortable & spacious you can't tell the kids are in the back - they're calling it the Renault McCann.

*hides*
  • Options
    koe_182 wrote: »

I dont really want to post on here what im refferring to, but if anyone has followed the story quite closely they may know what im on about.

certain "lifestyle choices" shall we say.
    Ohhh I want to know - tell me - PM me or something

xx
  • Options
    Wife swapping?

lmf.jpg
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    Wife swapping?

stamp collecting
  • Options
    Addict wrote: »
    Renault have brought out a new people carrier that's so comfortable & spacious you can't tell the kids are in the back - they're calling it the Renault McCann.

*hides*
    Anyone else who intended to PM me, there is no longer need to :D
  • Options
    someone told me a harsh one earlier but i think its a bit mean....

cant bring myself to repeat it.

wyetry: i'll PM you now...
  • Options
    if there was Madeline DNA found under the boot carpet, as well as in the car in a vehicle that apparently they rented 25 days after the dissapearance of her. if this proves to be true, i'd say its pretty strong evidence that they were some way involved.

surely you can see that point of view?
  • Options
    I'd ask the question about how two people under the glare of world media would be able to move a body in the boot of a rental care.

I'd also ask if it was entirely concievable that hair etc could be on possessiona which were placed in the boot of the car at any time

I'd ask how it is possible to match something to her DNA without actually having her DNA profile in the first place. I'd certainly want to know where the DNA profile comes from seeing as the police cannot take a DNA swab from the host.

Finally I'd ask how this couple are ever going to live their lives because even if they are found not guilty there will be people, like some on these boards, who have read something in the papers, assume that it is fact and formed their own guilty verdict.
  • Options
    Another 'leaked' report suggests the child died of a pill overdose.

You have to wonder how the press gets all these facts considering they're only known to investigators.
  • Options
    Just to point out the obvious - just because they rented the car doesn't mean it had to be them that moved the body - someone else could have helped
  • Options
    As for the DNA profiling, any number of items belonging to her would have given police sufficient material.

Just to play devil's advocate here MoK ;)
  • Options
    I dunnno though. If it was actually them, surely they would have cracked by now? All the attention and money n stuff. I wudnt be able keep it up.
  • Options
    Finally I'd ask how this couple are ever going to live their lives because even if they are found not guilty there will be people, like some on these boards, who have read something in the papers, assume that it is fact and formed their own guilty verdict.
    Very much agree tbh.
  • Options
    As for the DNA profiling, any number of items belonging to her would have given police sufficient material.

No, it would give them enough samples of something which could be her DNA. It could also be anyone elses who has ever been in contact of close proximity to the items in question.

The only way anyone can be sure is to have a profile to match it against - eg a swab/blood test whatever which has been taken from the person.

Now without a body to take that from they have no way of matching anything to her DNA.
    Just read the Metro and it says that the bodily fluids found were an 88% match

My point - 88% match against what?
  • Options
  • Options
    That's quite a big issue though Matt.

To report something is an "88% match" gives a huge impression of guilt. It's completely bogus.
  • Options
    Thing is Matt, there are people who decided the McCann's guilt a long time ago. These boards have been full of accusations, full of comments about the whole thing being the McCann's fault in the first place. I get the feeling, well more a sense of some kind of pervese relief that the McCanns are now being implcated - and I'd put money on some people hoping that it was them.

Stories like the ones in the press recently just exacerbate things, hence my comment yesterday. Regardless of how this whole debacle finally resolves itself, even if Maddy is found, the McCanns life is now over.
  • Options
    No, it would give them enough samples of something which could be her DNA. It could also be anyone elses who has ever been in contact of close proximity to the items in question.

The only way anyone can be sure is to have a profile to match it against - eg a swab/blood test whatever which has been taken from the person.

Now without a body to take that from they have no way of matching anything to her DNA.
    I must confess to not being very knowledgable on the issue.

From watching CSI you would get the impression police could get a full DNA profile from a particle of dundruff found hanging from a hair found on a skip ;)

*Must stop watching CSI*

My point - 88% match against what?[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    An 88% match would suggest her little sister to me, but then, I'm a CSI watcher too, so no idea. I still think they're guilty though, through probability and because their story just sounded like a big pile of steaming poop from the begining, to me. I wouldn't recognise them if I saw them out shopping personally, not without cameras there and stuff- they just look like normal white people I ignore in the street everyday so I can't see how their life has been more ruined than it would have been anyway.
  • Options

*Must stop watching CSI*

Why would you do that? Unless you mean CSI Miami which is shit.

Regarding MoK's comment, I think you have a point about people gaining some sort of kick by having a news story of a set of parents being accused of killing their own daughter.
    That said it probably springs from the issue starting with her, not even 4 years old, being left with her 2 year old siblings. Regardless of them checking up on them, I think most people - myself included, find it very irresponsible (though my mom said that whilst she never did so with us, she understands where they came from when wanting an evening alone). Basically Their image started as a negative.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    their story just sounded like a big pile of steaming poop from the begining, to me.

Interesting then that it's the only thing which seems to have remained consistent since May...
  • Options
    IFrom watching CSI you would get the impression police could get a full DNA profile from a particle of dundruff found hanging from a hair found on a skip ;)

You can get a profile, sure. But the problem is establishingwhose it is...
  • Options
    You can get a profile, sure. But the problem is establishingwhose it is...

and the circumstances