Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Whats the average milage per month for a car in Europe?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm dumb right now. Ok, so I guess the end of this quesion deals with oil changes and mileage. But I've always gotten the impression that overseas cars aren't driven as often as they are here. Like I live 10 miles from work and have a bus I could get to but god forbid I would never, gross. So from my oil changes, from the average, 3 months is about 3,000 miles. I do just about that. Driving my tiny bit to work and back and visiting my parents a couple times. ( I think I drive a tiny amount, so how I"m consiered averige is beyond me). The man, however, drives about 3,000 ever month, he lives a bit from his work. My oil change sticker says I have either about 20 miles or about a day before I need one. Since my new car (last year) I've actually been good with getting the tires and oil and what not done on time.

So is the average about 3k every 3 months over there? Or how long is driving 3,000 miles about? What does your oil change sticker say? Do you get your oil changed on time?

Do you get your tires rotated on time? New tires on time? Why do you like hatchbacks :p

Comments

• Options
    my tyres get "rotated" every time i drive it.....and yes,i'm allways late for work.
  • Options
    Rotated as in the front go to the back and the back to the front :rolleyes: If you didnt' know that I feel bad for your car.
  • Options
    What's an oil change sticker?

Generally over here (as in the average joe and not car fanatics) would only get an oil change during a service, and the car would probably only be serviced every year or (depending on the car) every 10000, 20000, or 30000 miles.

I'd say lots of folk don't bother rotating tyres. Hell, a lot of tyre places moan if you ask them to fit new ones on the rear.
  • Options
    I've had my car 2 and a half years and it hasn't even done 10,000 miles yet, aw bless it :)
  • Options
    I do about 2500 each month, but that is high. Back when I was paying for my own insurance, the "expected" annual milage was 15000 - which is 1000 per month + holidays.

While tyre rotations used to be recommended, they seem to be frowned upon now - don't know when/why it changed.

Oil changes are really quite infrequent - In my Peugeot it was only during a level 3 service which was every 30000 miles, form memory - although new cars might need a couple of early oil changes while the engine beds in.
  • Options
    The average is about 1000 miles per month.

Oil changes should be every 6 months at that rate, although new engines may use more initially and then not require changes for up to 20,000 miles.
  • Options
    My boyfriends old car, he had it for 6 months and put 10,000 miles on the clock, although in the time we did drive up to yorkshire and then down to devon which is over 1000 miles. My dad's car is two years old and he's done 25,000 miles in that already, but then my friend last year only did 5000 for the whole year in his, so it really does depend on whether you use your car to travel to work/take a lot of business trips and stuff. If you are just using it to potter down the shops and the pub then obviously your going to have a teeny milage.

Just remeber if your buying from a garage avergae milage is 12,000 and if your selling to them it's 10,000 ;)
  • Options
    Also hatchbacks are much more sexy than old man style saloons :p
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I did do about 1200 a week i.n my previous job but now do more like 800.

The average millage for non comercial car is about 14k a year
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I've done nearly 8000 miles in 6 months, and i haven't even left Bristol which i find slightly amusing, as i'm not entirely sure where i've been to knock my mileage up that much.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Do you get your tires rotated on time? New tires on time? Why do you like hatchbacks :p
    My Dad once removed the tyres from my car just to make sure I knew how to put them back on if that counts?

Hatchbacks are cool because you can get out of the car via the boot should you so wish (boot = british for "trunck" I think).
  • Options
    my car's an N reg (1996 i think?!) and has done about 53k miles. but before me, she was owned by an old man. i thought the average was about 10k a year.
  • Options
    Wow. Interesting stuff! Especially with the oil and the tires. I was always told its real bad for your car not to get regular oil changes. When I'm a thousand miles over even the guys, no matter where I go, they always scold you about not getting it done sooner. I think I gave a guy a hernia once when I came in when my sticker (oil change sticker is the sticker they stick in your window telling you at what mileage and date you should come in for your next) and I should have had one done months ago :p
    Same with the tires, when I went in for new front tires, the guy asked when they were last rotated, I told him not since I've had the car, I thought he was going to start yelling at me!
  • Options
    tyres get replaced when they're bald!!
  • Options
    I never bothered rotating my tyres. If I was skint, and the fronts were coming up to the legal minimum, I'd stick them on the back.

No point in rotating tyres these days, unless you fancy coughing up for 4 tyres at the same time.

Oil changes - at least twice per year, or at 6-10k intervals. Depends on the car, and what type of use it gets. What hurts engines, and engine oil, is short, stop-start journeys. Gentle motorway cruising will have a far less viscous effect on the oil - the first mile of a cold start is the worst, and the next 9 are about as bad as the car will get. Doesn't matter if you do one mile more, or one-thousand in a day - the oil will have an easy life.

Yes, I have done a thousand miles in a day. When I worked in the field, I tended to average 300 miles most days - around 1500 per week.

Back tyre on my motorcycle is just about legal after 6k. I change the oil at the same time - and the front tends to last around 9k or so.
  • Options
    I've never heard of people charging for rotating tires, I guess I feel lucky. :p

And if you don't get them rotated regularly, how do you keep them balanced? Or do you go in for a balancing but not rotate.

I wonder why they tell you to go so long without oil, yet here, so short of a time.
  • Options
    Different driving conditions, lower quality fuel, higher temperatures - there are a lot of variables in working out how frequently you should change your oil.

Plus, you Yanks do your best to rape the worlds oil reserves ;).
  • Options
    Oil raping is fun though. My dream car isn't a yellow 9mpg H2 for no reason (actually the real reason is it looks like a short bus, and I dont know if you have them there, but the short yellow school busses is what the retarded kids rode in)
  • Options
  • Options
    It's the famous British sarcasm in play again....
    i don't know what you mean??... :D