Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

innocent but dead.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    No it wasn't. Cold blooded murder was the IRA blowing people up in pubs. Cold blooded murder was fundamentalist Muslims blowing people up on their way to work. In these cases whether it be the IRA or fundamentalist Muslims they set out with an aim to murder innocent people.

Are you seriously trying to suggest that the officers in this case woke up with a desire to murder someone? I don't think so.

Somewhat more credible it seems that the police received some intelligence (albeit inaccurate) on an individual. Despite repeated demands of armed police officers the individual then refused to stop and jumped the barrier running towards the train. He also happened to be wearing a thick coat in the middle of summer.

What if this guy had of been a suicide bomber yet the police had hesitated? A suicide bomb during rush hour at Stockwell tube? How many people would have died? It’s extremely sad, tragic and regrettable but I don’t think the police had much of a choice. Several armed people - whether they're police or not running away is not generally the smartest idea. It's sad and his family and friends have my sympathies, as do the police officers. I imagine they are feeling pretty awful right now for what's happened.

so murder was necessary then? shooting an un-armed guy (who was on his way to fit a fire alarm) on the ground 5 times in the head was necessary then...get a grip! i'm sure the police have been through many terrorist drills and i'm sure they learned other ways of restraining potential suicide bombers, these police officers were caught up in a frenzy and went all out on some poor guy, and you say that guy could have been a suicide bomber, i say that could have been me or you running through london at that time of day, ever thought of looking at it that way
  • Options
    What if

But he wasn't. It really is that simple.

If you are going to take someone's life, if we are to accept that the police are going to do that, then we have to be confident that they will only do so when they are CERTAIN that members of the public are at real rsik.

Suspicion, "could possibly" and "what if" is just not good enough.
    Several armed people - whether they're police or not running away is not generally the smartest idea.

No, it isn't smart. Does that justify killing him?

He a victim, you cannot balme him for what others did because they didn't make sure that they were correct in their ASSUMPTIONS.
    I imagine they are feeling pretty awful right now for what's happened.

I'm sure that the person who pulled the trigger is feeling pretty shit right now. As he should.
  • Options
    Balddog wrote:
    Why is it always racial?

I don't think it is racist, but race is a point.

If it was a white English bloke in a suit they wouldn't have done it. Only drunks, Irish and now black people suffer it.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

If it was a white English bloke in a suit they wouldn't have done it. Only drunks, Irish and now black people suffer it.

Not quite true.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/january/14/newsid_2530000/2530649.stm

IMHO one of the few times where there was no defence for the force used by the police and there ought to have been prosecutions.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    This is terrible.

Its shows that they aren't really thinking before they shoot, but, I can sympathis with the officers if the claims he was running from there are right.
  • Options

Somewhat more credible it seems that the police received some intelligence (albeit inaccurate) on an individual. Despite repeated demands of armed police officers the individual then refused to stop and jumped the barrier running towards the train. .
    so far ...all the very many wit nesses have said there were no warnings shouted apart from 'MOVE' ...'GET OUT THE WAY' ...not very proffessional.
    the inteligence they had was not of an indivual but an address.
    big time cock up.

the word inteligence is surely misused here.
  • Options
    And even the claim of "an address" rings as contrived as the rest of their disingenuous excuses for and attempted whitewashing of the incident. Sorry, but the reported official testimony itself ridiculously noted "police thought they had found an address...".

As I pointed out in my attempted tongue in cheek dissection of the aforementioned article, one either finds or does not find something. What does "thought they found... mean?". Lie upon lie, excuse after excuse, backpeddling, altered testimonies, et al.

Can anyone with any critical rationality truly accept so much as even the categorisations employed by such an untrustworthy and self-protecting establishment?

Wake up people and smell the wholesale betrayal before allowing the powerhungry minority to mentally sleepwalk us all back into the tyranny we once established international tribunals to expose, indict and end once and for all.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:

You know, when I heard that it really was a totally unconnected man who had been shot, I remembered this story. I even remembered that it was a Mini that the guy was driving... and the name Stephen Waldorf...
  • Options
    What would everyone think if, another incident like this happened, but the police didnt shoot, and the the person detonated a bomb?

If the police said they hadnt shot him because they only had a bit of an idea he might be carrying a bomb, it was only an uncertain suspision, so they stood back and did nothing while someone blew himself upand took out hundreds of innocent with him?

The uproar against the police would be phenomenal.

Another point- 'he was just and innocent guy', 'it could have been one of us running through london'- true. But it could be you on the next bus that gets blown to shreds.
  • Options
    You know, when I heard that it really was a totally unconnected man who had been shot, I remembered this story. I even remembered that it was a Mini that the guy was driving... and the name Stephen Waldorf...

Always remembered the case myself - It was a bit like the end of Bonnie and Clyde where they just ambush the car, with no attempt to make an arrest or even to see whether he was armed. Can't believe that people didn't end up in jail for it.
  • Options
    Sikorah wrote:
    What would everyone think if, another incident like this happened, but the police didnt shoot, and the the person detonated a bomb?

If the police said they hadnt shot him because they only had a bit of an idea he might be carrying a bomb, it was only an uncertain suspision, so they stood back and did nothing while someone blew himself upand took out hundreds of innocent with him?

you mean a bit like what happened on the 7th of july? where the police were praised for the way they handled the situation.

they only tell you what they want you to know.
    Another point- 'he was just and innocent guy', 'it could have been one of us running through london'- true. But it could be you on the next bus that gets blown to shreds.

call me crazy, but that's a chance i'm willing to take to continue living in a "free" society.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    where the police were praised for the way they handled the situation.

like dleaning up the dead and wounded they failed to protect?
  • Options
    Yes.

Then they try to protect people and still get blamed for shooting an innocent person.
  • Options
    Could it be that they are blamed because it was their fault?

If the Police had so much evidence to suspect this man that it was acceptable to kill him, why was it also acceptable to let him get on a bus and why did it only take 24 hours to clear his name?
  • Options
    I remember the police officer being cleared because he had 'reason to believe his life was in danger' or something similar. The 'thought police' had arrived. As long as they thought something, they were in the clear. It backfired when Kenneth Noye shot a policeman in his garden, though, as I'm pretty sure that happened afterwards.

Actually, though, I don't blame the shooter. It won't be much of a surprise that I don't ultimately blame the terrorists either, as Ian Blair chose to. I do blame the government that played into the hands of the terrorists by adopting that 'war on terror' rhetoric (or perhaps 'bollocks' would be a better description). The can whine that 'the twin towers were attacked before Iraq!' 'til they're blue in the face, but if it was Osama bin Laden's intention to incite an international jihad, Blair played his part to perfection. He threw Brer Rabbit right into the briar patch...
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

He wasnt black...He was latin american, he LOOKED as white as can be.

_41337183_menezes203.jpg
  • Options
    is that relevant though to what actually happened?
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    is that relevant though to what actually happened?

Yes....people are saying this wouldnt have happened if he had been white...He was white.
  • Options
    Sikorah wrote:
    But it could be you on the next bus that gets blown to shreds.

That is such a non-point it isn't even funny.

The fact that people even think it is pertinent absolutely terrifies me.

I honestly don't know how people trust the Government who got us into this mess enough to give up all their freedoms for a bit of "security". I forget who said it, but he who gives up freedom for security deserves neither.
  • Options
    Sikorah wrote:

I'd rather the police actually followed the right person in the first place.
  • Options
    For you Kermy...

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Ben Franklin
  • Options
    As it has probably been pointed out by several people already (thread has grown a lot since I last checked on Saturday and I can't be arsed to read it all) there have been several fuck ups by the police that should have not happened.

And whereas there is a genuine reason for taking the split-second and awful decision to execute someone in such manner, the crux of the matter is that it should have never reached that point. It should have never reached the situation where the suspect managed to run into a tube station and all the way onto a train.

- The very fact that he was being followed have raised quite a few eyebrows. It appears to be based on this man emerging from a block of flats under surveillance. I wonder who many people live in those flats. Dozens? Have they all been followed? Have a few people had a very lucky escape?

- Why oh why was the man allowed to board a bus and happily ride for 20 minutes, if there were concerns he was a bomber and might be carrying a bomb?

- Why oh why was the attempted arrest so amateur and badly planned? Had it occurred to the coppers that it might be a good idea to surround the man from several directions (so to block his means of escape) rather than group nicely behind him?

Major, major fuck up.
  • Options
    Latest reports suggest that he may have had an out-of-date visa, which could explain the attempt to run... Story

I know that the BNP have some harsh policies around illegal immigration, but even they don't recommend killing them.

I'm not even going to comment on how true the allegation might be, but I have a feeling that a few more people might crawl out from under their roacks to priase the police now...
  • Options
    Latest reports suggest that he may have had an out-of-date visa, which could explain the attempt to run... Story

total snow job and an insult to my intelligence is that report.

Good job BBC! :rolleyes:
    The Brazilian man shot dead by police in south London, who mistook him for a suicide bomber, had been in Britain on an out-of-date visa, officials say.

Nice. Not one word of that is true.
    Jean Charles de Menezes, 27, may have run from police because of his visa situation, BBC correspondents say.

Really? This is a BBC website. Why aren't they named? Total assumption anyway.
    The electrician had come to the UK on a student visa, which allows people to work for a small number of hours.

If it's expired how does that matter a wank? Oh right.
    Relatives of Mr Menezes are considering suing over the Stockwell Tube shooting, saying police will have "to pay".

Lol. Sounds like dial a claim as opposed to wanting justice doesn't it. I don't know, they come over here, taking our jobs.....
    Meanwhile, detectives are still hunting for the men who attempted to blow up three London Tube trains and a bus last Thursday.

Which isn't related to this execution in any way shape or form, but you will link them if you don't think while you read, God, we are good at this propoganda aren't we?
    Three men have been arrested so far, but it is thought the four would-be bombers are still free and may have access to explosives.

And one wrongfully killed. Don't think about that though - BE AFRAID!!
    Meanwhile, Chris Fox, president of the Association of Chief Police Officers, gave his support to the Metropolitan Police's "shoot-to-kill" policy with potential suicide bombers, in the wake of Friday's shooting of Mr Menezes.

No, he didn't.
    "Shoot-to-kill is very good headline but, in fact, what we have to do is have a series of tactics which range from disruption to the very, very final moment when you have to shoot and the aim is to prevent the criminal or suspect causing harm to other people," he said.

See, but as we led into this with a conclusion you can just swallow. theres a good fellah.

I would carry on but you get the idea and it's all fucking lies anyway.
  • Options
    Balddog wrote:
    He wasnt black...He was latin american, he LOOKED as white as can be.

_41337183_menezes203.jpg
    My god... he could be Boris Johnson's twin... :eek:
  • Options
    On BBC News bulletins they are now saying that his visa did expire, hence the reason for him having it away on his toes.

They also said that electrical wires were seen on him. (Though i've NEVER seen a sparky in my life jump on a tube with wires poking out, let alone in this current climate.

The only thing is to wait for the coroners hearing and their verdict.
  • Options
    You've never seen anyone with a personal stereo on?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    You've never seen anyone with a personal stereo on?

yes, but they have an ear piece and the wires are black, not bare copper as to what the news reader suggetsted.
  • Options
    Forgive me for being highly skeptical about 'wires protuding out'. Sounds like an attempted excuse to me.

If that were true anyway, it's an even bigger fuck up that they let him board the bus in the first place.
  • Options
    strangely enough take a guess where the police are modelling their tactics from?

israel.......
    (was in the times today)