Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

innocent but dead.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I hope when I read the newspapers later on today that they condemn this and ask real questions of the police. But I doubt they will.
    On the contrary, I imagine that the papers will make a huge deal about this, and the government response to their sensationalism will be prompt. Why can't the press stick to yarns about '45 minutes from attack', like responsible people?
  • Options
    Not so fast Balddog .......

You do know that Stockwell is in Lambeth, right?

I'd say the odds of it being plod are considerably lower than 99%

source

Indeed and thats a good point..but this was 5 guys drawing guns in the middle of a subway, not some gun crime in a dodgy apartment complex down the road..Chances are the police were white...So ill clarify and say the chances of 5 white guys pulling guns in the middle of a subway and being anything other than police is small.

and thats not even touching on the question of whether or not they identified themselves and shouted for the guy to stop.
  • Options
    Balddog wrote:
    This is the UK....not the US...

If 5 blokes whip out guns in the middle of the subway, theres a 99% chance they are plod...
    Even in London? Conservatives, and not just in the US, are fond of telling us that with guns outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. I'm not going to try to presume what was going through the mind of a now dead Brazilian.
  • Options
    Uncle Joe wrote:
    Even in London? Conservatives, and not just in the US, are fond of telling us that with guns outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. I'm not going to try to presume what was going through the mind of a now dead Brazilian.

Yes, even in London....
  • Options
    Balddog wrote:
    Yes, even in London....
    You carry on assuming that...
  • Options
    Uncle Joe wrote:
    You carry on assuming that...

I will, thanks :)

There may be a lot of gun crime in the area but it just doesnt happen like this...5 men, probably white, pulling guns at the same time and ordering me to stop in the middle of a crowded subway.
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    he was seen leaving a block of flats under surveilance, he ran after repeated warnings

fair enough some of you might say, "i might of ran", but you had repeated warnigs from armed officers

The police could have arrested him loooong before he got near the under ground, I seriously doubt this guy live so close to the tube station that htye couldn't have stopped him beforehand.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Truso Mr Skive. Why did he run?

Anyway, we can't possibly know now what motivation was behind the chase, it's probably not entirely unreasonable to say that someone who doesn't stop running when someone shouts "STOP! Armed Police!" should be shot for being so stupid.

What's to stop anyone with a gun going around shouting stop police?

these were plain clothes officers so they weren't wearing their police uniforms.
  • Options
    The police could have arrested him loooong before he got near the under ground, I seriously doubt this guy live so close to the tube station that htye couldn't have stopped him beforehand.

Yeah but they had no reason to arrest or stop him at that point...they didnt know he was going into the subway until he went into the subway....
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    If you are going to hold a gun to someone's head and fire five bullets into it, you have got to be fucking CERTAIN that they are a bomber. A suspicion isn't enough, I'm afraid.

Note that the police never suspected him of having a bomb, they suspected him of being an acquaintance of the bombers..

The police didn't even have that much - all they had was an address on a piece of paper the found on one of the bombers and they waited to see who came out of the house
  • Options
    Balddog wrote:
    Yeah but they had no reason to arrest or stop him at that point...they didnt know he was going into the subway until he went into the subway....

In the road I live in I came home one night and there was like 16 police raiding one of the homes at th end of the road - all the police had was an address so they should have done the same thing there if he had a bomb on him he could have set it off anywhere inthe street and hurt people so why not confine the potential danger to their own home?
  • Options
    the guy could have thought he was being chased for money ...shagging someones daughter ...having ten quids worth of heroin on him.
    he obviously wasn't running cos he had anything to do with terrorism and bombs.
    is running or being scared now an executable offence?
    are you realy happy to have a police force that behaves like this?
    wrong information wrong behaviour resulting in a dead innocent.
    if they get away with this i expect nothing less than civil disobedience from a very large section of the citezens of the uk.

I agree with all of this, frankly I bet we certainly have the technology and know how to disable a person instantly without resorting to shooting people in the head, when I first read the story I thought they'd shot the guy form a distance but then found out they're already sitting on top of the guy.

This reminds me of stories of gang violence inthe USA when an innocent kid gets mistaken for a member of a rival gang cos he happened to be wearing the wrong kind of jacket.

I'm more then interested to know what will hapen to the person who shot the guy 5 times in the head?
  • Options
    I agree with all of this, frankly I bet we certainly have the technology and know how to disable a person instantly without resorting to shooting people in the head, when I first read the story I thought they'd shot the guy form a distance but then found out they're already sitting on top of the guy.

This reminds me of stories of gang violence inthe USA when an innocent kid gets mistaken for a member of a rival gang cos he happened to be wearing the wrong kind of jacket.

I'm more then interested to know what will hapen to the person who shot the guy 5 times in the head?

Like what? dart guns? tranqs? not reliable or instantaneous enough...Tasers? Slight problem when you start electrocuting people you suspect of carrying bombs...

Probably nothing will happen to the guy...What he did was in keeping with British law. Perhaps a suspension while the investigation continues.
  • Options
    Balddog wrote:
    Like what? dart guns? tranqs? not reliable or instantaneous enough...Tasers? Slight problem when you start electrocuting people you suspect of carrying bombs...

Probably nothing will happen to the guy...What he did was in keeping with British law. Perhaps a suspension while the investigation continues.

The fact he had the weight of anything from 1 to 3 police men on him would have been more then likely to have set off the switch of a bomb (if there was one).

A Stun gun would work at the speed of electricity - which I'm sure is less time then it takes to fire 5 bulllets. And the electricity is localised tot he point of where it's being applied it's not as if the electricity is going to trigger a switch that sets off a bomb as more switches are mechanical devices not electrical like a transistor. And since a Stun gun has no major moving parts it would be more reliable then firing a gun that might jam just at the moment it's needed.

Pepper Spray would have disabled him as well, trains are cramped places espacially on the underground - Guns are not always going to be the best weapon in such crowded places.
  • Options
    Balddog wrote:

Not so fast Balddog!
    Mr Menezes emerged from a house in Tulse Hill, south London, on Friday morning that was under surveillance because of a suspected link to the attempted bomb attacks. His clothing and behaviour added to the officers' suspicions, police said.

He caught a bus to Stockwell Tube where he was challenged by officers, who told him to stop. The man then bolted down an escalator, according to witnesses.

Haven't we had a bombing and an attempted bombing on a bus?

:confused:
  • Options
    Im just offering possibles mate...None of us were actually there.
  • Options
    Balddog wrote:
    Im just offering possibles mate...None of us were actually there.

Well, I guess thats one possibility blown out of the water...... the police said he caught a bus and they tailed him. How did they work out he was safe on a bus, but a danger on the subway?

Oh yes, thats because the armed goons took over AFTER he got off the bus....

:wave:
  • Options
  • Options
    Someone on another board says that he could easily have confused these police with Big Issue sellers, so what the Brazilian would have thought...
  • Options
    I would not immediately decide that someone chasing me with a gun is a policeman. I would be incredibly surprised if I saw a policeman here carrying a gun around.
    I was surprised to find we have plainclothes police officers carrying concealed weapons. I'm not at all happy about the visible armed police, but I accpt the arguments in favour are sufficiently strong that I can't be confident when I say it is wrong.

Note to terrorists. Fit "dead man's switch" to explosives
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Rolly: don't bother. Obviously this was intended to stoke up some debate with people not normally on this board. *sigh*

Technically it worked didn't it? It made me venture into the forum for a bit.
  • Options

Yes. Probably the people who tailed him on the bus didn't have either the weapons or the authorisation to kill him. The only reason I can see for the delay is so that they could shoot him in the head.

I think it's really simple. They knew he was unarmed and totally safe and decided to kill him anyway to prove a point. It's the only explanation that makes rational sense.

The whole "did he didn't he" about the bomb is bollocks and easily seen through bollocks at that.

Well, the governmentr is just the largest criminal gang, bent on keeping all use of force for itself alone. What else do you expect from the sociopaths who want to rule you like kings "for your own good"?
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    And the Scots (Bannockburn) or American War of Independence et al

Haha, yes I know. But at school only the things we were taught were those that the mighty, courageous English did, yet, if I remember correctly, the Germans are taught about the world wars.

But that's off topic really.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I knew the guy would be innocent.

Its the way the world always slaps you round the face.
  • Options
    the story is unfolding as such so far ...
    according to a huge ammount of witnesses there was no warning shouts of ARMED POLICE ...
    it rwourld have been safer and more proffesional to have killed him before he got on the train ...before he even entered the station ...
    one bigg cock up by the sounds of it.
  • Options
    This is what happens when the Prime Minister of the country argues that civil liberties arguments are "outdated" and "old-fashioned".

The witch-hunt will start in earnest. Dob on a neighbour to save yourself. That is how power is maintained in a clique, make people so scared of the clique that they fight themselves instead. It's starting. Be warned.

Chaos: good to see you in here. People will try to convince you that you are wrong if they believe that you are wrong, that is how debate works. I think you make some sensible points, but I disagree with them.
  • Options
    Balddog wrote:
    yeah no offence mate but stop watching so many films...

Trying to shoot a bloke in the legs while hes running, in a subway? Then we would have a thread about innocent bystanders having been shot.

The reason they killed him was because they believed, however wrongly, that he had a bomb....You shoot someone in the leg, he can still press a button or release a lever etc..

fair enough but as i was watching the news yesterday eye-witness reports saw the man trip and fall on the ground, only then for the police to shoot him five times in the head, now don't you think it would be a lot easier for the police to confront a man lying on the gorund and handcuff him...whatever way you look at it it was a cold blooded murder
  • Options

I wondered how long it would take for someone to say that. Considering that you and I rarely agree on anything, isn't it interesting that we do here?

This whole thing smells.

If the police are to kill someone in order to "protect" the public, then they have a duty to be damned certain that the person really is a threat. This case shows that none of us can be sure that they will take that level of care.

What worries me more is that so many people are willing to defend the actions of the armed officials. In part they are correct, hindsight is wonderful. However, if you are going to kill someone then an element of foresight is wuite useful too, and it has only taken a day to discover that this man is completely innocent.

Wouldn't it have been nice if the police could have spent a day checking into his background before executing him?
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    whatever way you look at it it was a cold blooded murder

No it wasn't. Cold blooded murder was the IRA blowing people up in pubs. Cold blooded murder was fundamentalist Muslims blowing people up on their way to work. In these cases whether it be the IRA or fundamentalist Muslims they set out with an aim to murder innocent people.

Are you seriously trying to suggest that the officers in this case woke up with a desire to murder someone? I don't think so.

Somewhat more credible it seems that the police received some intelligence (albeit inaccurate) on an individual. Despite repeated demands of armed police officers the individual then refused to stop and jumped the barrier running towards the train. He also happened to be wearing a thick coat in the middle of summer.

What if this guy had of been a suicide bomber yet the police had hesitated? A suicide bomb during rush hour at Stockwell tube? How many people would have died? It’s extremely sad, tragic and regrettable but I don’t think the police had much of a choice. Several armed people - whether they're police or not running away is not generally the smartest idea. It's sad and his family and friends have my sympathies, as do the police officers. I imagine they are feeling pretty awful right now for what's happened.
  • Options
    No it wasn't. Cold blooded murder was the IRA blowing people up in pubs. Cold blooded murder was fundamentalist Muslims blowing people up on their way to work. In these cases whether it be the IRA or fundamentalist Muslims they set out with an aim to murder innocent people.

I see no difference but the poltical spin.

Cold blooded murder is arming halfwits and letting them run around in mufti.