Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

innocent but dead.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Haven't read all this but just heard about it after getting back from work.

Yes, its sad knowing now that this guy was innocent but the police have to make a split second decision, this guy was running away from the police in a tube station the day after failed bombings. The police could not let this guy get away as he could of easily had a bomb on him and if he had let it off then many more lives would of been lost.

I don't think you can totally blame the police who did it. But yes it is a sad case and you have to feel for this guy's family.
  • Options
    GoodFella wrote:
    Haven't read all this but just heard about it after getting back from work.
    I suggest you do read this thread. Rolly made some interesting points throughout. :)
  • Options
    GoodFella wrote:
    the police have to make a split second decision, this guy was running away from the police in a tube station QUOTE]
    no ...he was seen coming out of some flats and chased TO the tube station ...not split second decisions.
  • Options
    Ah ok ... didn't know that .... but still i don't think we can blame these police officers who shot the guy, obviously the blame for this then, if the guy was under surveillance(sp?), goes to MI5 or whoever gave the intelligience saying this guy was a bomber or whatever.

The police are told this guy is a possible threat and they have to deal with it according to what they've been told.

I'm no good at debating ....
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    he was seen leaving a block of flats under surveilance, he ran after repeated warnings

fair enough some of you might say, "i might of ran", but you had repeated warnigs from armed officers
    just on the news ...of the many many witnesses ...not one heard any warnings from the killers.
  • Options
    Well then no wonder this guy legged it then.

I think we all have our views but were just gonna have to wait for what the inquiry finds and then once that is done we can finally see what actually happened.
  • Options
    That's my point though, history isn't exactly as present and correct as it should be...but then I guess it's history and that's the way it now stands.

History is written by the winners.

The present by those in power now.

Never forget that...
  • Options
    the past is no part of my future and the present is well out of hand.
  • Options
    History is written by the winners.

The present by those in power now.

Never forget that...

The English seem to have to won every single war since 1066, apart from "minor" scuffles with the French. I've always found that quite odd.
  • Options
    The Doc wrote:
    The English seem to have to won every single war since 1066, apart from "minor" scuffles with the French. I've always found that quite odd.
    when i was at school we were led to believe that the emglish invented everything ...seriously.
  • Options
    when i was at school we were led to believe that the emglish invented everything ...seriously.
    How times change. We were taught very little about what Britain did, apart from the negative side. I often felt during History lessons, for example, that we were meant to feel guilty about Britain's colonial past and its contributions to the world. It's almost as if it's swung from one extreme to the other.
  • Options
    The Doc wrote:
    The English seem to have to won every single war since 1066, apart from "minor" scuffles with the French.
    That was sarcasm, wasn't it?
  • Options
    The Doc wrote:

And the Scots (Bannockburn) or American War of Independence et al
  • Options
    dearest mods ...

i posted this in anything goes cos there was already a thread in p&d about this and thought i might get those who don't venture into ...aww forget it.
  • Options
    That was sarcasm, wasn't it?
    Not really?

Who won Waterloo?

Rolly: don't bother. Obviously this was intended to stoke up some debate with people not normally on this board. *sigh*
  • Options
    if someone hasn't said it already why didn't they just shoot him in the legs? that way they'd 1) not have killed a man who could be potentially innocent and 2) if he was a terrorist, would be able to question him about operations and get more intelligence

it was a cold blooded murder and those responsibly must pay
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    I hope when I read the newspapers later on today that they condemn this and ask real questions of the police. But I doubt they will. Neither is it certain that anyone will be punished. We've had intelligence failures before - Iraq, anyone? - and no one was sacked for that. Sadly, I feel little confidence that the powers that be will change their ways on this one.
  • Options
    yeh with the table leg killing imo i thin the police done their job, in this case, they went entirely overboard, and now its been ofund he was innocent, theres sod all in the newspapers

this country's behaviours shocks me more and more

the only terroists here taking my freedom are the government and they need to go, id happily go 4 years of economic mismanagement or the lib dems or god forbid the tories than go almsot permenently with a polie state as once these laws are brought in they're virtually never removed apart from in civil war

why cant the tories jut go on a civil liberties front as well as economic liberal front - ie classical liberal, they'd win, EASILY!
  • Options
    I don't think there is any way in which the police actions can be justified. The actions of the man in running away from a group of twenty men with guns shouting, "Get out, eeverybody get out," is hardly inexplicable.

You cannot go shooting people because you think they might be terrorists. Would you lock someone up because you think they might be a burglar or would you require a trial and proof beyond reasonable doubt? The only possible justification for armed police shooting anyone is that they pose a direct and immediate threat to the police or the public: This man did neither. I understand why in such circumstances the police shoot to kill: If there is a direct threat they may not get a second shot so their actions must be decisive, they can't miss. However a witness has described the man tripping and being pushed to the floor of the carriage before he was shot. If this is so he had already been decisively overpowered and shooting him would have served no purpose even if he had been a terrorist.

As has already been pointed out the police generally consider shooting people very undesirable as dead men don't talk. The chasing down and shooting five times at close range of an unarmed man would therefore make me very suspicious of what he wasn't going to talk about if the police didn't already have such a marvellous record of having shot a naked man suspected to have a "concealed weapon" and man spotted being suspiciously Irish with a table leg in a bag.

Yes, the police have to act strongly to combat terrorism, but that their bad intelligence has resulted in a big waste of time and resources and caused the death of an innocent man does not support that. If they though this guy was a terrorist and he wasn't that doesn't say good things about their abilities to tell who ARE terrorists. And if they make a habit of investing resources based on bad intelligence, which the raids in Rusholme and on the flat above Dolphins takeaway resulting in no charges rather suggests they do, then that must leave much less resources accurately targetted than otherwise.

I think that this is an icident of absolutely critical importance. If there is a public inquiry with a swift response and heads roll crisis may be averted. Otherwise I fear public unrest and the creeping creation of fear and a police state.
  • Options
    Personally I think it'll all end up like a witch hunt. I remember reading in history class about how if in a village you didn't like somebody, you could accuse them of being a witch and they would be tortured and then executed without a fair trial or anything. If somebody didn't like, for example a Pakistani family couldn't they just tell the police they're terrorists? Or tell other people and attacks would arise... If that makes sense.

If the police can shoot suspected terrorists, if they have all this power now to arrest people and not give them a trial... Well who will be targetted next? First it'll be the Islamics, then perhaps the anti capitalists, in fact technically the government could accuse anybody they wanted of being a terrorist because they don't get a fair trial anyway. Even if that person is working with human rights and speaks out openly saying things against the government's regime against Islam -cough- I mean terrorism.

And I do think the policemen involved should be done for murder. What happened was more of an execution... It seems like the sort of shit that was going down in the middle ages. Personally I think they got carried away, or panicked.
  • Options
    glad to see that some of you are concerned about these events.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    They'd have shot him anyway.

His crime? Being dark-skinned.

The police/MI6 officers should be tried, and convicted, for murder.

Why is it always racial? Have you seen the bloke? Hes whiter looking than me.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    if someone hasn't said it already why didn't they just shoot him in the legs? that way they'd 1) not have killed a man who could be potentially innocent and 2) if he was a terrorist, would be able to question him about operations and get more intelligence

yeah no offence mate but stop watching so many films...

Trying to shoot a bloke in the legs while hes running, in a subway? Then we would have a thread about innocent bystanders having been shot.

The reason they killed him was because they believed, however wrongly, that he had a bomb....You shoot someone in the leg, he can still press a button or release a lever etc..
  • Options
    As for the shooting itself..It was a terrible, terrible mistake. Unfortunately I dont think it was avoidable given the circumstances. With the lovely benefit of hindsight we can all sit here and condemn those involved. Thats hardly fair though, those policemen didnt have hindsight to base their decisions on...just what happened at the time.

Hopefully this terrible incident will make sure that such a thing doesnt happen again.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Truso Mr Skive. Why did he run?

Anyway, we can't possibly know now what motivation was behind the chase, it's probably not entirely unreasonable to say that someone who doesn't stop running when someone shouts "STOP! Armed Police!" should be shot for being so stupid.
    Someone else may already have covered this, but... not everyone waving guns and claiming to be police are police. I understand that these officers were in plain clothes (although I don't recall any of the witnesses to the shooting mentioning that). Still, there are reasons why a person might run, even from the authorities, without realising that it might get him killed. In the heat of the moment, not everyone would think of the events of the past few weeks, and how they might affect the police response. Reckless, panicky maybe, but not necessarily stupid.
  • Options
    Uncle Joe wrote:
    Someone else may already have covered this, but... not everyone waving guns and claiming to be police are police. I understand that these officers were in plain clothes (although I don't recall any of the witnesses to the shooting mentioning that). Still, there are reasons why a person might run, even from the authorities, without realising that it might get him killed. In the heat of the moment, not everyone would think of the events of the past few weeks, and how they might affect the police response. Reckless, panicky maybe, but not necessarily stupid.

This is the UK....not the US...

If 5 blokes whip out guns in the middle of the subway, theres a 99% chance they are plod...
  • Options
    The guy turned out not to be a terrorist. He might have been a criminal. He might have had other reasons to run from the police or other not very nice men who might come after him with guns. James Hanratty was executed for murder largely because he changed his story about where he was at the time of the crime. If he wasn't a murderer why did he change his story? Because when the police asked him where he was on the night of whenever-it-was he didn't think it wise to reply that he'd gone to meet a man who he sold stolen cars to. He thought that was what they were after him for.
  • Options
    Balddog wrote:
    This is the UK....not the US...

If 5 blokes whip out guns in the middle of the subway, theres a 99% chance they are plod...

Not so fast Balddog .......

You do know that Stockwell is in Lambeth, right?

I'd say the odds of it being plod are considerably lower than 99%
    Mr Moore told the meeting there had been a rise of 21 per cent in incidents involving guns whether used or not to 315 in 2002, compared to 249 the previous year.

source
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    In this case I think they were justified and if a similar situation arose I would hope they would do it again.
    Same as they did with the IRA in Gib.
    What makes you think they were justified in shooting the IRA in Gibraltar?
  • Options
    And say that I do. I just don't like how I always get talked into how somehow my opinion is wrong.
    Everyone gets that in P & D, even long time posters. Stand your ground, but be receptive to other views.