Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

innocent but dead.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I hope the police are sued and we can see just what incompetence led to this pointless death.

you really think the police need to be sued for us to see that?
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    you really think the police need to be sued for us to see that?
    Not really, it would just make it even clearer to those who say they did the right thing that they cocked up.
  • Options
    so they were totaly wrong in their information and in their behaviour but you understand why they publicly slaughtered an innocent man?
    you next ...will your family be so understanding?
    it's not supposed to be like this so i'lll ask here what i asked in p&d ...who's winning ...us or the terrorists?
    from where i'm standing it certainly doesn't look like us ...

It was wrong because it was murder, but the reason behind it wasn't. I'm not saying that makes it ok, I'm saying that had it been a situation in which it were a bomber the right choice would have been made and no one would be questioning the judgement, it was a risk that they took and I think it was right to take it.

Why bring my family into it? I don't see why it's difficult to understand that in that situation it would be the greater good and in my opinion not worth the risk. I think my family would understand that.

I can see what you're saying about the terrorists causing people to panic, and that terrorism is going to happen whether we worry about it or not, but if it can be prevented it should.

ETA: I feel like people are trying to turn me into a P&D person...I'm no good at it :( Putting my point across scares me in case it comes out wrong and the meaning is mispercieved. I don't believe I can get my point across as acurately as I'd like to.
  • Options
    Why bring my family into it? I don't see why it's difficult to understand that in that situation it would be the greater good and in my opinion not worth the risk. I think my family would understand that.

I can see what you're saying about the terrorists causing people to panic, and that terrorism is going to happen whether we worry about it or not, but if it can be prevented it should.
    By shooting people who had nothing to do with the incident?!
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:

When did I say that? :o
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    [IMG][/IMG]if i remember rightly they knew each individual involved.

But it later transpired that none of the individuals were armed or had a detonator. It's not too different.
    Kermit wrote:
    Well that's one monkey for the organ grinder converted.

Based on the fatc I think the police were justified in this instance?
    What a stupid remark!
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:

what he said was, that if the guy had been a bomber and the police hadnt taken the risk, then there would also be outrage

the police i do not defend, but neither do i defend the people who want to have the cake and eat it
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    what he said was, that if the guy had been a bomber and the police hadnt taken the risk, then there would also be outrage. the police i do not defend, but neither do i defend the people who want to have the cake and eat it
    What?! I'm in agreement with Kermit over this - if they're gonna shoot people dead, they have to be absolutely certain they get it right. Suspicions aren't enough.
  • Options
    the reason behind it wasn't. had it been a situation in which it were a bomber the right choice would have been made
    I don't see why it's difficult to understand that in that situation it would be the greater good
    but if it can be prevented it should.
    it seems we are being protected by fucking bozos ...they can't prevent it as has been shown but they can go round killing the wrong people ...us.

the reason behind it wasn't though.
    had it been a bomber ...but it wasn't.
    if it had been such and such a situation ...but it wasn;t.
    why do i bring your family into it?
    well ...i pressume all families are now expected to loose innocent members ...for the greater good ...sounds like suicide bomber mentality to me ...
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    But it later transpired that none of the individuals were armed or had a detonator. It's not too different.

!
    it's very different!
    these guys were known IRA terrorists ...
  • Options
    it seems we are being protected by fucking bozos ...they can't prevent it as has been shown but they can go round killing the wrong people ...us.
    Exactly. We're in a democracy, (debatable, I know) if the police cock up, they should be investigated and officers who made the decision to kill should be punished for their mistake.
    why do i bring your family into it? well ...i presume all families are now expected to loose innocent members ...for the greater good ...sounds like suicide bomber mentality to me ...
    I've read an article about the mentality and thoughts of suicide bombers recently and this is almost word for word what one of them said. :nervous:
  • Options

the reason behind it wasn't though.
    had it been a bomber ...but it wasn't.
    if it had been such and such a situation ...but it wasn;t.
    why do i bring your family into it?
    well ...i pressume all families are now expected to loose innocent members ...for the greater good ...sounds like suicide bomber mentality to me ...

But if it was no one would blink twice. They'd get a pat on the back and be told "good job". They're doing they're job and they're making the choices they believe to be right. If it was a bomber situation you wouldn't be saying "What if it wasn't?" would you? Would you even think twice?

Comparing my mentality to that of a suicide bomber is ridiculous, when I said for the greater good I simply meant the risk can be worth it, granted they were wrong this time, and they killed an innocent, but I'd rather that than see more terrorist bombings on the news had it been. I feel this is becoming a circular arguement....
  • Options
    very recently people were screaming for justice by way of having the directors of rail track locked up for neglect which caused deaths.
    if anyone causes the death of innocent people through incompetence then surely they should be made to face justice?
    ...and FIVE bullets ...at extremely close range ...come on.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I've read an article about the mentality and thoughts of suicide bombers recently and this is almost word for word what one of them said. :nervous:

So I'm going to go around killing people now am I? They're minds are clouded by the bullshit they're fed and what they're made to believe, they're made to believe that what they're doing is worth something. What I'm saying is....I don't even know what I'm saying anymore, I'm probably going off on one, or contradicting myself...I'm too tired.

I still think what they did was right though.
  • Options
    But if it was no one would blink twice. They'd get a pat on the back and be told "good job". They're doing they're job and they're making the choices they believe to be right. If it was a bomber situation you wouldn't be saying "What if it wasn't?" would you? Would you even think twice?
    You're dealing with a hypothetical scenario. What if they HAD been a suicide bomber? But that's not what happened. If it was a bomber, yes, shoot the bastard dead. But in this case, it wasn't.

This slightly reminds me of the situation that soldiers have to deal with out in Iraq dealing with the insurgency and suicide bombers there, for some reason.
  • Options
    very recently people were screaming for justice by way of having the directors of rail track locked up for neglect which caused deaths.
    if anyone causes the death of innocent people through incompetence then surely they should be made to face justice?
    ...and FIVE bullets ...at extremely close range ...come on.

Five bullets I agree is extreme. Given the situation they should have disarmed the man, not killed him, but shooting him was a risk they were prepared to take, which I think was the right decision.
  • Options
    If you suspected that someone could have a bomb and could potentially kill tens if not hundreds of innocent people, would you shoot them?

I don't know about that, but I certaily wouldn't let them get into a Tube station in the fisrt place.

BTW I though no-one like Politics over in this forum?
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    You're dealing with a hypothetical scenario. What if they HAD been a suicide bomber? But that's not what happened. If it was a bomber, yes, shoot the bastard dead. But in this case, it wasn't.

This slightly reminds me of the situation that soldiers have to deal with out in Iraq dealing with the insurgency and suicide bombers there, for some reason.

It may be hypothetical, but if it were the other way round you wouldn't care, do you not see that? It doesn't matter that the scenario is hypothetical, in this situation it could easily have been either, given that there are terrorists in the UK plotting things as we go about our lives.
  • Options
    I don't know about that, but I certaily wouldn't let them get into a Tube station in the fisrt place.
    Which raises another question. Why did the police let him go around the streets of London? Why wasn't he arrested days ago, for instance?
  • Options

BTW I though no-one like Politics over in this forum?

I'm bored. And everytime I try my luck at debating I get shot down or my wings clipped (so to speak), which is why I rarely bother.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Which raises another question. Why did the police let him go around the streets of London? Why wasn't he arrested days ago, for instance?

Maybe they were looking for him?
  • Options
    I'm bored. And everytime I try my luck at debating I get shot down or my wings clipped (so to speak), which is why I rarely bother.
    At least you're standing up for what you believe. Many feel the police were wrong, you feel they were right. You've every right to say that.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    At least you're standing up for what you believe. Many feel the police were wrong, you feel they were right. You've every right to say that.

And say that I do. I just don't like how I always get talked into how somehow my opinion is wrong.
  • Options

I thought that you were doing well, consdiering that you are arguing with people who do it for fun. Keep it up...
  • Options
    And say that I do. I just don't like how I always get talked into how somehow my opinion is wrong.
    It happens all the time in P&D. When it comes to contentious issues like this, tempers are bound to flare.
  • Options
    I'm not tempered at all though. I can see the point they're making, it's a differing of opinion that's all. What it all boils down to is opinion, and seemingly trying to change each others standing point. It's interesting, hearing other peoples opinions, but it does feel somewhat forced upon each other much of the time, or maybe it's just me.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    it's very different!
    these guys were known IRA terrorists ...

It's not so very different.

They were thought to be planning a bomb attack, the bloke yesterday was thought to be connected to the london bombers.
    In both cases neither were armed or carrying detonators.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I'm not tempered at all though. I can see the point they're making, it's a differing of opinion that's all. What it all boils down to is opinion, and seemingly trying to change each others standing point. It's interesting, hearing other peoples opinions, but it does feel somewhat forced upon each other much of the time, or maybe it's just me.
    You're not alone in feeling that. I often feel when it comes to P&D and threads such as this that some posters are incredibly forceful with their views. It is perhaps one reason why so many are put off from going into that section of the boards.
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    It's not so very different.

They were thought to be planning a bomb attack, the bloke yesterday was thought to be connected to the london bombers.

Can't you see the difference between the words "known" and "thought"?
  • Options
    They're minds are clouded by the bullshit they're fed and what they're made to believe, they're made to believe that what they're doing is worth something.
    I still think what they did was right though.
    scary scary stuff!