Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Three schoolgirl sisters have given birth aged 12, 14 and 16.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    2) I do not see everything in simple left/right wing terms, that would be ridiculous. I got into the habit of calling my opponents "lefties" as a shorthand term, what else would you suggest, I'm open to suggestions on this.

erm...let me see now...opponents!

opponents=9 letters
    lefties=7 letters

not really a shorthand term is it?
  • Options
    Have you not caught up to the fact that 'underclass' is a description that could mean and describe anything? The underclasses as mentioned in your 'sources' are completely different to what you are insinuating is an underclass in this situation. I'm talking about underprivileged and disadvantaged people, but your 'underclass' seems to comprise of pondscum and filth. I didn't realise that these had now been given the same properties as humans.
    Let me remind you what you said.
    I rest my case.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    I see I'm not the only one to use the word "scum". Please take note all you lefties out there.

But she didnt call anyone 'scum'. I fail to see you have made any valid point at all.

Of course other people use the word, just not to describe people.
  • Options
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Let me remind you what you said.
    I rest my case.

Can you point out to me where she refered to anyone as 'scum'?
  • Options
    Incidentally "Rich Kid", you still haven't told us what would you like to do to prevent the 'underclasses' from "breeding so prolifically".

Though I'm sure you have a few ideas in mind though.

Ideas that were put in practice not too far away from this country, not too long ago...
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    But she didnt call anyone 'scum'. I fail to see you have made any valid point at all.
    She did. She called my underclass "pondscum and filth", when she could have used far different words. Her choice of words not mine.
  • Options
    Have you not caught up to the fact that 'underclass' is a description that could mean and describe anything? The underclasses as mentioned in your 'sources' are completely different to what you are insinuating is an underclass in this situation. I'm talking about underprivileged and disadvantaged people, but your 'underclass' seems to comprise of pondscum and filth. I didn't realise that these had now been given the same properties as humans.

Either you cant read properly or you are being a dick on purpose.

You will note that she says YOUR underclass seems to comprise of..., she does not refer to people as scum.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    She did. She called my underclass "pondscum and filth", when she could have used far different words. Her choice of words not mine.

wrong yet again...did you play truant at english classes aswelll

she said YOUR underclass SEEMS TO compromise of pondscum and filth

a lot different than underclass comprimises of pondscum and filth don't you think
  • Options
    Playing with semantics, always a sign you're losing the argument.
  • Options
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Playing with semantics, always a sign you're losing the argument.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Oh dear...what a classic!
  • Options
    Woah what a long thread. Just posting to say it is the mother's fault. It's got nothing to do with what class you're from. I'm working class and proud of it. My mum had to live on benefits for a few years because she was single with two daughters and a baby son. But I am 19 years old and have never been pregnant. My sister is about to graduate from Uni with a law degree. I've just got smart parents with morals. In middle classes you still get silly little...girls like these sisters.

I think in most cases of juvenile delinquency the parenting is to blame, as it is with this case. School's got bugger all to do with it. I feel sorry for these babies. And I'm disturbed that an 11 year old girl wanted to have sex. I don't know about that license to have a baby but I'm starting to believe that some people need to go to "parenting classes".

The rambling endeth.
  • Options
    Borrow Blagsta's book of logic and then read my post again, I never said anything about age or social background being the marker of responsible parents. :p

Kermit's post is dishonest and muddled, that's why Blagsta can applaud it. He's right about lack of ambition but wrong about lack of opportunity. People find their level, some are suited to welfare and unthinking idleness, and we pay them to enjoy it - it should surprise no-one that the people opting for such a life are the least intelligent for whom the challenge of finding fulfilling work is increasingly hard in a modern tech society. I'm surprised at Klintock's head in the sand attitude. :no:

So we live in a classless society, a meritocracy do we? Are you serious;y suggesting that someone born on a rundown estate with crime, drugs and poverty around them, underfunded schools, no jobs and no prospects has the same life chances as someone born to a wealthy family in Surrey and sent to a top private school? Really?
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    A typical reaction if I may say so sharp teeth, you don't like an opposing view so you immediately wish to ban it. Censorship is always close to those of certain political persausion.
    So, according to you, we've got some left-wing posters who want me and others banned because of our politics, but you might want me banned because of my views on a certain strata of society. Got it all sewn up haven't you.

Who has called for your banning because of your politics?
    Rich Kid wrote:
    The underclass exists in more than my imagination, its out there in the real world and increasing rapidly. You may wish to be in denial but others, with more sense, wish to tackle the problem before it devours us. Normal decent society is at risk but some are oblivious to it.

What do you think the causes of this "underclass" are?
  • Options
    "it's either educated out of them or social and peer pressure reduces it down to nothing." That's conditioning.

So how can you say we have a equality of opportunity? A lot of kids from working class backgrounds are told by teachers and careers advisers not to even bother wanting more than a life on benefits or a job as a cleaner. What chance do some people have?
    The nature of humans is that some are optimistic or ambitious, some are pessimistic or idle. Human nature by any other name.

This is utter bollocks. Do you think people are born "optimistic or ambitious" or "pessimistic or idle"? Why do you think people are idle? What does that mean? What experiences have led people to that?
  • Options
    I find the views on here quite disgraceful, to be honest. Where did the milk of human kindness go?

Mist: I'll remind you that "parenting isn't a job, it's a lifestyle choice" when you have children. I'm sure Mrs Mist will find that very amusing when she has two toddlers to chase around after.

So this girl gets a grand total of £10,400 in benefits? So people in badly paid jobs get slightly less (I get about £300 less in my £5ph job, for the record, and that is considered below the breadline)- how shall we cope?

Simply because you are fortunate enough to earn enough money to be above the breadline is no reason to suddenly withdraw benefits from those who are unfortunate enough not to, even if you are right and you DO earn so much that you don't qualify for WFTC (which is limited at about £21,000 I believe). I can't believe that people feel that three innocent children should be condemned to a life of abject poverty simply because they happen to have parents who dared to get pregnant young, and three parents who dared to have nothing else to look forward to.

I can't believe that people don't realise that slagging these people off, and vilifying them, is completely counter-productive. People who feel like important members of society who will achieve things don't go and get pregnant aged 13, because a baby would prevent them from fulfilling their ambitions. Making people feel important, and giving them a chance in life, is how we curb the problems with teenage pregnancy- so what does most of this board suggest instead? Oh yes, cut them loose from society and let them starve. After all, they're only poor people, they don't count for anything.

It is a proven fact that ambition is the biggest contraceptive. If all we do is vilify generation after generation of people then they don't feel like a valued member of society, they don't feel looked after or loved or wanted, and so they go and have children so that they are looked after, they are loved and wanted and needed.

If all you ever have to look forward to is a child and a council flat (those bastions of palatial spendour that they are), then that is a tragedy. It also means that you might as well have one young, if you are never going to pass GCSEs to a high standard, or get a job beyond that of a till monkey in Tescos.

This entire case is a tragedy, and all people can do is abuse these girls. I think that sums up the state of this country at the minute, and it explains why the gap between the haves and the haven'ts is at a distance not seen since the 1830s.

Not everyone can have nin this current system of selfish greed. Not having doesn't make you lazy, it consigns you to the scrapheap for the rest of your life. I don't believe that most people are lazy, they lack opportunity and they lack social acceptance. If the whole of society condemns you as a lazy leech, why bother going out of your way to prove them wrong? Why work hard for people who despise you?

How many people here would be happy getting told that the most they will ever amount to is a cashier's job in Tesco and a damp council flat?
    How many people here would be happy to work themselves into the ground for people who despise you?
    How many people here would be happy knowing that, hard work or no hard work, you are destined to spend the rest of your life in poverty, unless you win the lottery?
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    The issue here sharpteeth is that you said "underclass" was just a figment of my imagination, the links prove that the subject is out there in the big wide world, the only trouble is you haven't caught up with it, either that, or you're in denial.

You have no analysis of the term, what it means, whether it exists, what the idealogical reason for labelling a group of people is, the similarities with the Victorian notion of the deserving and undeserving poor etc. You consistently fail to place any of your views into a wider social, historical and political context.
  • Options
    Opportunity is provided in the form of GCSEs and Alevels. It doesn't say on your CV whether you grew up in a council estate or gold plated castle.

Edit: But motivation is a problem, of course.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    What Kermit said.

Here here.
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote:
    Opportunity is provided in the form of GCSEs and Alevels. It doesn't say on your CV whether you grew up in a council estate or gold plated castle.

Don't be so fucking simpleminded. Do you think that all schools are of the same quality? Do you think that a kid living on a deprived estate sees the point of exams when theres no jobs? Grow up for fucks sake. :mad:
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote:

I can't decide if that opinion is grossly naive or grossly stupid. It's easier to debate with naive, so I'll assume the former (although I expect it to be the latter).

Wealth provides opportunity. Having rich parents and going to a rich school (either private or a state school in a wealthy area) makes it a lot easier to achieve good grades. The school has the resources, the family home has the resources, and wealthy parents are more likely to have the time to spend with their children. Also, tellingly, wealthy parents are likely to be more academically talented, and so can teach their very young children the basic 3 Rs before they enter primary school.

It has been proven in study after study that the children of wealthy parents- who are at home more- are up to four years ahead academically than the children of poor parents, who are often acdemically weak and always at work. The poor children can never make this ground up, and are therefore labelled as "failures". "failures" don't work hard, they lose interest in academia, and the cycle begins again, given that there are no vocational alternatives to academia.

I am very lucky to have had parents who just had enough money, and felt it important enough to sacrifice things such as a sofa that wasn't decrepid, so that I had a bit of a head start. I got the best A'Levels in my school, but even those would look quite poor compared to my peers at Durham, especially those from private schooling.
  • Options
    my mum said they were on GMTV and she was letting the youngest 1 have sex in her house when she was just 11!!!
    She said something like ''i'd rather know about it and have her do it in the house than go wondering off''
    But 11!!!!!! She could still be in primary school :shocking:
  • Options
    OMG!!!!! Its so terrible!!!!
  • Options
    It's always a tough problem when such young children are sexually active. If a parent says no they'll just go and shag in some car park or old factory anyway, so they might as well be in a comfy bed where it's warm, but if a parent doesn't say no then they are condoning the actions.

Young people don't decide to have sex in a social vacuum. They do it becaus eof social pressure and, even more importantly, because they don't have anything better to do. Jarvis Cocker summed it up perfectly.

It saddens me that people condemn the victims of the society, rather than the society. I guess it's easier for people to blame some "stupid" woman with three "slut" daughters, than to blame themselves for creating the society where having children is the pinnacle of a life.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Money allows people more choices. Chioce of where to live, where to go to school, where to work etc.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    You would get the same benefits as they do if you were in the same situation. I wouldn't have thought many people would want to put themselves in that position out of choice for some reason, but if you want to give up your job and your nice things and make yourself homeless in order to get a scratty damp council house then feel free.

Which generally ignores the point I was making, but nevermind.
    I disagree with you regarding whether parenting should be considered a job, and I don't understand where you are getting these 'inflated payouts' from. Parents 'work' for well below the minimum wage when you consider what they have to do and the fact they are always on call. Bringing up the next generation well is one of the most important tasks people will ever do and if providing kids with the things that will help them - whether it be a parent available to them full time, or decent clothes, books, a well rounded education etc. - costs money then so be it. It's better for society in general and will probably save money in the long term.

You can disagree all you like, but it won't make parenting a job. You are not employed by someone to be a parent, if you are employed by someone to bring up kids then you are known as a nanny or similar and that is a job. Being a parent to your own kids is not a job, and it drives me to insanity when people talk about it as if it is.
    kermit wrote:
    Mist: I'll remind you that "parenting isn't a job, it's a lifestyle choice" when you have children. I'm sure Mrs Mist will find that very amusing when she has two toddlers to chase around after.

At no point did I say that parenting is easy. It is simply not a job. Saying that it is a job actually demeans the amount of responsibility that being a parent encompasses. Some people that I know even talk about having "time off" from their "job" as a parent, and that is an absolutely obscene point of view to take in my opinion.

Oh well.
  • Options
    A job is work with responsibility.

What is parenting if it is not hard work with a lot of responsibility?

Parenting is not employment, but that's not the same thing. Being a parent should be considered a full-time job, because it is full time, it is hard work, and there is a lot of responsibility. Or do you only think that something should be classified as a "job" if AN Other is prepared to pay you for it?