Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Three schoolgirl sisters have given birth aged 12, 14 and 16.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kermit wrote:

I am very lucky to have had parents who just had enough money, and felt it important enough to sacrifice things such as a sofa that wasn't decrepid, so that I had a bit of a head start. I got the best A'Levels in my school, but even those would look quite poor compared to my peers at Durham, especially those from private schooling.

Please tell me (in even greater detail) how money helped you get a head start in alevel. Did you bribe the examiner? Pay for extra tuition?
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote:
    Please tell me (in even greater detail) how money helped you get a head start in alevel. Did you bribe the examiner? Pay for extra tuition?

:banghead:
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    minimi38 wrote:

Can you not accept that in many cases (I'm not specifically talking about Kermit here), money can pay for better standard of education?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    Can you not accept that in many cases (I'm not specifically talking about Kermit here), money can pay for better standard of education?

Did he go to a private school?

Everything you need to pass GCSEs and Alevel is provided to you by the school.

Like i said, motivation is a problem but materials to get good grades isn't.
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote:

I don't know how old you are, where you live or what experience of life you have, but you seem rather naive and sheltered. Maybe if you visited some deprived areas, talked to some people, saw the day to say realities of life for a lot of people, you wouldn't have such simplistic views.
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote:

Money allows you to choose where to live and and therefore what schools to go or travel to.

Are you saying that all non private schools have the same standard of education? Because that'd be dumb.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote:

Not at my school it wasn't. One textbook between three of us, for an A'Level course.

It's the same at any poor school. I had a PC in my family home, which is a head-start compared to most people from my school.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Not at my school it wasn't. One textbook between three of us, for an A'Level course.

It's the same at any poor school. I had a PC in my family home, which is a head-start compared to most people from my school.

Are public schools not all given the same amount of funding per person? Or is it based on success/pass rates? Thats pretty disgraceful if so.
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote:
    Are public schools not all given the same amount of funding per person?

They're not given the same amount of funding, but its not dependent on success rates.

Funding isn't just governmental.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I don't know how old you are, where you live or what experience of life you have, but you seem rather naive and sheltered. Maybe if you visited some deprived areas, talked to some people, saw the day to say realities of life for a lot of people, you wouldn't have such simplistic views.

:yes: my area isn't too bad but there is a fair amount of crime, drugs and deprivation...i have many mates who'd be fucking genuis' by now, probably gettng straight A's, it's a pity they got sucked into drugs and have parents who neglect them...i'm lucky enough to have parents that would beat me if i didn't do my homework and i've choosen to distance myself from crime and drugs, too say all you need to do to get on in life is to go to school and work is just very simplistic and stupid imo...
  • Options
    J wrote:
    Well, it's happening more and more isn't it. Nobody seems to hold the law in very high regard from what I can see, a small thing leads to a big thing and all that.
    I'm sure we're de-evolving as opposed to evolving you know. Some people are anyway.
    The bastard generation.
    So right J, so right, sadly.
  • Options
    J wrote:
    Well, it's happening more and more isn't it. Nobody seems to hold the law in very high regard from what I can see, a small thing leads to a big thing and all that.
    I'm sure we're de-evolving as opposed to evolving you know. Some people are anyway.
    The bastard generation.

What a shallow analysis. What laws, who makes the laws, what about the social context? What do you mean by evolving and de-evolving? :confused:
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    What a shallow analysis. What laws, who makes the laws, what about the social context? What do you mean by evolving and de-evolving? :confused:
    Don't be so condescending Blaggy, its really tiresome. Go to bed, NOW.
  • Options
    Whats condescending about asking questions? :confused:
  • Options
    Money allows you to move away from the cretins and soapdodgers, like this family of sperm banks.
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    Money allows you to choose where to live and and therefore what schools to go or travel to.

Are you saying that all non private schools have the same standard of education? Because that'd be dumb.

Exactly, my sister is able to go to the school best suited to her rather than the poorer ones in the town she lives in because my Mother can pay the transport costs to get her there. Circumstances outside of school are a contributing factor to how well a child performs.
  • Options
    Dubversion wrote:
    Money allows you to move away from the cretins and soapdodgers, like this family of sperm banks.

I'd far rather be in their company than that of a narrowminded fool like you.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    I'd far rather be in their company than that of a narrowminded fool like you.

Of course you would.
  • Options
    Exactly, my sister is able to go to the school best suited to her rather than the poorer ones in the town she lives in because my Mother can pay the transport costs to get her there. Circumstances outside of school are a contributing factor to how well a child performs.

Let's not forget nutrition, either.

Which is a very stupid thing to do with money. I always find it really amazing that people will put themselves in massive amounts of debt to move to a slightly better area than buy the home they currently live in outright and have more options in their daily life. Then again, I think freedom is in being able to choose what you do all day and most other people think it's having "better" stuff than others.
  • Options
    Dubversion wrote:
    Of course you would.

Fucking right I would.
    You've contributed fuck all to this discussion, save for a few stupid comments that just make you look like a cunt.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    klintock wrote:

Which is a very stupid thing to do with money. I always find it really amazing that people will put themselves in massive amounts of debt to move to a slightly better area than buy the home they currently live in outright and have more options in their daily life. Then again, I think freedom is in being able to choose what you do all day and most other people think it's having "better" stuff than others.

I didn't put myself in massive debt, I bought the house outright no mortgage, I also choose what I do each day and where I go and whom I mix with. I choose not to mix with pond life.
  • Options
    Dubversion wrote:
    I didn't put myself in massive debt, I bought the house outright no mortgage, I also choose what I do each day and where I go and whom I mix with. I choose not to mix with pond life.

Without money you would be 'pond life'.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options

Grats, we have something in common, I did that too. We aren't typical "homebuyers" though, are we?

I never mentioned you specifically though, now did I?

I STILL find it amazing etc.

Did you have a point or are you just so full of bile it leaks out when you should be debating?
  • Options
    Don't quite know what "sperm bank" has to do with anything.

But then again, I don't think that Dubversion has been introduced to a functioning braincell.
  • Options
  • Options
    J wrote:
    They should never have questioned me, never have questioned me.

I don't know what bloody laws, look for yourself. What's the point of giving out all the answers, confusing the mind, this way you have to decide for yourself building in your mind a picture of the law at the same time.
    Meditate on it. Fill the gaps with your intuition and understanding.
    I hate thinking about definte laws, I'd rather seek the truth behind the law, the reason, the understanding that precedes its conception.
    There really is only one law, and it's an unction.
    People babel on and on and on and nobody ever comes anywhere close to hitting the target...

Have you forgotten to take your medication again?
  • Options
    Dubversion wrote:

Bully for you. I hope you fucking choke on it.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:

and all it does is perpetuate the cycle. Its like the thing with private schools. Private schools do better, mainly because of the attitudes of the children in them - brought up in homes where education is seen as paramount. If these children went to their local state schools, and people would integrate more amongst the classes, it would do society a whole lot of good. It would mean that disadvantaged kids would actually have other influences apart from other disadvantaged kids. It would bring the standard up as a whole.
    Problem is, noone wants to be the first to do it.
  • Options
    Maybe you should expand on it a little further then. I don't believe you can truly be envious of these girls' situation.

Being a full time parent caring for your kids is a job, otherwise people wouldn't employ others to do it for them. If you stay at home and look after your children all day while your partner goes out to work, what are you? Unemployed?

Yes you are unemployed. Please explain who is employing you if you think otherwise. Perhaps you would put "parent" on your CV? Will your employer give you a P45 when you go to another job after you resign from being a parent?

Please, spare me the PC crap, and accept reality. It's not a job.
  • Options
    no its not a job. Its much more than that. Its just your life.