Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Three schoolgirl sisters have given birth aged 12, 14 and 16.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
what do you think? ... must be something inthe water in Derby!! :wave:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4572219.stm

Comments

• Options
    What can you say?
  • Options
    Chavette Slags.
    "He was my first love but now I'm gutted because he doesn't want to have anything to do with me or T-Jay."

You seen the state of your self?
    Mrs Atkins told the Sunday Mercury: "I don't care what people say about me. I blame the schools - sex education for young girls should be better."

Maybe if those Chavs were responsible enough to use condoms or even the pill it might not of happened. If she doesn't like the sex ed then she should teach those kids her self.

And as for 600 quid a week. No wonder they got up the duff.
  • Options
    Amani, Lita and T-Jay?

Deary me!

Oh and I can't see how the Mum blames schools. My sex education was shockingly rubbish and near enough non existant but I haven't got myself pregnant yet and I'm 20. :\
  • Options
    Oh and I can't see how the Mum blames schools. My sex education was shockingly rubbish and near enough non existant but I haven't got myself pregnant yet and I'm 20. :\

i went to a catholic school, and our sex education consisted of: 'boys have a penis, girls have a uterus, don't have sex til you're married'. and i'm doing ok. anyone to blame but themselves.

as if those girls went to school enough to even get sex education...
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    i went to a catholic school, and our sex education consisted of: 'boys have a penis, girls have a uterus, don't have sex til you're married'. and i'm doing ok. anyone to blame but themselves

mine was exactly the same. if she didnt like the sex ed then she should have taught then herself
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    i went to a catholic school, and our sex education consisted of: 'boys have a penis, girls have a uterus, don't have sex til you're married'. and i'm doing ok. anyone to blame but themselves.

i went to a catholic school, too.

and yeh fair point!
  • Options
    I don't actually rememember getting sex education and i was at an all boys school.

Most of the knowledge i have gained about periods and stuff has just been through female friends :|
  • Options
    It's up to the parents to make sure their kids know about sex.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:

we didn't even get that in ours...our biology teacher was of a nervous disposition and not very good at controlling, she tried once and we just constantly laughed everytime she said sex or penis, ended up not getting taught nothing...
  • Options
    It's all well and good saying kids should get the facts of life from parents and it isn't the responsibility of the schools, but when kids don't have the parents willing to tell or access to other reliable sources shouldn't the schools step in to provide education, considering they'd be in the best poisition?
  • Options
    lea_uk wrote:
    It's up to the parents to make sure their kids know about sex.

Hmm, I see where your coming from but my parents never taught me anything about sex - we've never had the 'dreaded talk' that some teens talk about and never will do. My sex ed was horrendously bad in school, I came away knowing very little but I had a head on my shoulders - sought out the information through places like this. Me and my first proper bf/sexual partner talked a lot about each others bodies - he had a lot of questions about the goings on of mine and vice versa.

Girls like these three do annoy me - they must be seriously be braindead. I mean 12 years old? Sex wasn't even an issue when I was that old. The mothers just diffusing the responsibility though - when your kids are brainless schools not going to be enough to keep them in the know - the 12 year old being the first to be pregnant, I can't even recall having any sex ed at that age. Doesn't really give a good reflection on teens today though - they're young, stereotypical chavettes who are bumping up the teenage pregnancy numbers and helping to boost the abundance of twatty kids names. What an embarrassment. :impissed:
  • Options
    It's all well and good saying kids should get the facts of life from parents and it isn't the responsibility of the schools, but when kids don't have the parents willing to tell or access to other reliable sources shouldn't the schools step in to provide education, considering they'd be in the best poisition?

good point...i think i might raise that up in the next argument with klintock about the "state"...it might be a fictional entity but it does have benefits for the real world...so it's not all about money and taking power away from the people, it will help you in the real world...
  • Options
    The two things that annoy me the most about this are the mother's attitude that it's all the school's fault, which it isn't, and the fact they they are being given more than the average national wage in government handouts so that they can sit at home and sprog out babies.

Useless.
  • Options
    they're young, stereotypical chavettes who are bumping up the teenage pregnancy numbers and helping to boost the abundance of twatty kids names. What an embarrassment. :impissed:

:rolleyes: i actually agreed with your post until i read that...do you know what its liked to be placed in a certain social context, learning and being dependent on your own microcosms of society...
  • Options
    Not unusual where I am.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    I don't have that much of a problem with young mums.
    With this country's birth rate we fucking need them.

And should';t this be in P&D.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I'm struggling to remember when I learnt about sex and contraception. Partly at school, partly at home but mostly through the grapevine I think.

And I'd agree with you Skive if these girls actually wanted to get pregnant and were grateful to have the babies.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    :rolleyes: i actually agreed with your post until i read that...do you know what its liked to be placed in a certain social context, learning and being dependent on your own microcosms of society...

I don't understand what microcosms of society means Turlough but hopefully I'm on the ball sort of in reply? :)

I just get annoyed by there being a particular stereotype in a lot of cases in terms of teen pregnancy - I couldn't believe how many accidental pregnancies occured on leaving school at 16, from fellow pupils who you could class under that stereotype. It is not a rarity around here sadly. I appreciate that there are young mums who are excellent examples of great parents, and that it is their wish to be parents or they find themselves pregnant accidentally or deliberatly, regardless of where they are from, education and everything else, I suppose my impression comes a lot from media hype - there's rarely a programme about teen mothers which doesn't play upon that stereoptype of mouthy chavettes living in council houses etc...but I do appreciate that I did make a broad generalisation in my statement which I can't say for sure is hugely true. I just get annoyed - at 12 she's just a child herself - if this is what she wanted then fine, but otherwise I think that a person should better themselves to the degree they find best before having a child. At 12, I find it incredibly irresponsible
  • Options
    I don't understand what microcosms of society means Turlough but hopefully I'm on the ball sort of in reply? :)

I just get annoyed by there being a particular stereotype in a lot of cases in terms of teen pregnancy - I couldn't believe how many accidental pregnancies occured on leaving school at 16, from fellow pupils who you could class under that stereotype. It is not a rarity around here sadly. I appreciate that there are young mums who are excellent examples of great parents, and that it is their wish to be parents or they find themselves pregnant accidentally or deliberatly, regardless of where they are from, education and everything else, I suppose my impression comes a lot from media hype - there's rarely a programme about teen mothers which doesn't play upon that stereoptype of mouthy chavettes living in council houses etc...but I do appreciate that I did make a broad generalisation in my statement which I can't say for sure is hugely true. I just get annoyed - at 12 she's just a child herself - if this is what she wanted then fine, but otherwise I think that a person should better themselves to the degree they find best before having a child. At 12, I find it incredibly irresponsible

basically...society within the wider society...what i'm getting at is that children aren't born to have babies when their young, we, humans, learn from each other, from our peers, in school, from our parents...if you grew up eating humans in the amazon jungle and thats all you knew, then eating humans is perfectly acceptable for you...now you call this girl irresponsible, i cal her peers, her family and her lack of education the irresponsible one's, the fact that in her area, having sex ain't a big deal, thats what i mean by living in a certain social context and living in your own microcosm of society... :)
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    basically...society within the wider society...what i'm getting at is that children aren't born to have babies when their young, we, humans, learn from each other, from our peers, in school, from our parents...if you grew up eating humans in the amazon jungle and thats all you knew, then eating humans is perfectly acceptable for you...now you call this girl irresponsible, i cal her peers, her family and her lack of education the irresponsible one's, the fact that in her area, having sex ain't a big deal, thats what i mean by living in a certain social context and living in your own microcosm of society... :)

I see what you mean - definitely makes sense now! But I don't know how to pin point exactly who is to 'blame' as such - as I've said my Sex ed...lacked the 'sex' bit basically it was pants, my parents do not discuss sex but I suppose their more up tight nature sways me slightly to being more reserved about sex and stuff, where I live isn't 'rough' but my old school where I spent tons of my time, could easily of had a profound influence on me and yet, even my lack of know-how and the sex that took place in school at times, and the whole environment where at 14 I used to get asked if I was having sex and pressured into it, still didn't manage to take me with it.
  • Options
    Doing my home town proud.
  • Options
    Already a post in P&D tbh.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Already a post in P&D tbh.
    only saddos post there ;)
  • Options
    If she doesn't like the sex ed then she should teach those kids her self.

Agreed, when I was about 9 or 10, I got sex ed in school and at home...
  • Options
    The sex education at my school was good. I personally think there is no need for young people to accidentally get pregnant. There are loads of ways to get contraception now adays.
  • Options
    You would have thought though that after the 1st daughter got pregnant, the other two would be a bit more wary of the 'dangers' and have an understanding of what brining up a child so young is like.
    I know it would put me off :/
  • Options
    the eldest one i think fell pregnant at the age of 16 and before that had had 2 miscarriages and an abortion. they've been busy girls.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    they're young, stereotypical chavettes who are bumping up the teenage pregnancy numbers and helping to boost the abundance of twatty kids names. What an embarrassment.

Agreed there...
  • Options
    Yep, they chose to continue with their pregnancies, and have now given birth. What these girls need now is support, as much as they can get, for the sake of the next generation and their own futures instead of pointing the finger and looking down at them.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    Well we have an aging population.
    Better that we have kids being born than none at all.
    Weekender Offender