Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

new pope

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i really don't know how you could disprove god's existence, leaving no doubt...........unless you were god, and i've said this before, are you god klintock?

Nope. I am glad of it too. I wonder what you would hope for if there were such a thing and you were it.

Would your logic mean that if I could prove "God" existed, i would become him?

Just give me a standard of proof and we can get cracking. I mean no disrespect to anyone's faith, btw. I just want my faith, that of agnosticism given equal status.
  • Options
    Just give me a standard of proof and we can get cracking. I mean no disrespect to anyone's faith, btw. I just want my faith, that of agnosticism given equal status.

Surely if you're an agnostic you can't disprove God
    http://www.arts.cuhk.edu.hk/humftp/E-text/Russell/agnostic.htm

The whole point of Agnosticism is that you think its impossible to know whether God exists or not.

If you believe you can disproove God you are an aethist http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&lr=&oi=defmore&q=define:atheism
  • Options
    The whole point of Agnosticism is that you think its impossible to know whether God exists or not.

Yeah. Weird huh.

But my standard of proof will make no sense to you because of the way that I understand the world and perception is so radically different from yours.

I am an Agnostic for reasons that would take a long time to go through. I am no atheist.

All you have to do is pick a proof.
  • Options
    Yeah. Weird huh.

Yes, but no weirder than most of what you write.
    But my standard of proof will make no sense to you because of the way that I understand the world and perception is so radically different from yours.

You also seem to have a different understanding of the word proof. if it makes no sense to me how can it be a standard of proof?
    I am an Agnostic for reasons that would take a long time to go through. I am no atheist.

let me guess. because you have your own meaning of the word agnostic which is different from everyone else's in the UK?
    All you have to do is pick a proof.

Green cheese?
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    let me guess. because you have your own meaning of the word agnostic which is different from everyone else's in the UK?

lol, just what i was thinking...........how can you be an agnostic klintock? your whole post is contradictory, you must be living in some fantasy world where words have different meanings than the commonly accepted ones........your posts on the semiotic thread, and now this...........we can't debate if you speak a different language..........define agnosticism for me.
  • Options
    but he doesn't think with words but with pictures ...and he's obviously picture dyslexic,
  • Options
    Green cheese?

Things decay, if "god" exists then he creates everything, yet cheese decays and so must be imperfectly created. If it is imperfectly created then there can be no perfect creator behind it, and so, no "god".

On the other hand, we know that nothing actually stays the same shape of form for very long, that "creation" itself is a myth. Forms change but the underlying stays the same and so there can be no creation. As there can be no creation then there can be no creator, so no "god".

One green cheese theory of god's non-existence.
    define agnosticism for me.

The problem doesn't lie in the agnosticism, it lies in proof. If you look at my other posts about language and so on it might help.
    if it makes no sense to me how can it be a standard of proof?

I didn't say you couldn't understand it, just that it would take a hell of a long time to get it over.
  • Options
    everything that decays is simply changing form ...it is forever becoming something else.
    this to me wreaks of creationism.
    out of nothing comes eternity ...
    continual renewal.
  • Options
    define agnosticism for me, and why you classify yourself as one..........cause you are on a completely different wavelength..........humour me.
  • Options
    in what way does a cabbage decay?
    leave it sat in the ground to do it's own thing ...and with a little help from butterflies and other amazing lifeforms ...will live forever.
    it will produce a thousand seeds.
    it will mutliply itself forever.
    feeding itself and others along the way ...forever.
  • Options
    I didn't say you couldn't understand it, just that it would take a hell of a long time to get it over.

Yes you did

I've bolded the bit as you seem to not only have a perception problem with what others write, but what you write as well.

PS your green cheese theory is bollocks as well
  • Options
    define agnosticism for me

A belief that you do not know about the existence of god.

Why don't I know whether he is there or not?

Okay, you asked for it.

Imagine for a moment that you had a computer that simulated the universe perfectly. It would be able to predict the future 100% because it knew everything, from the wobble of an atom to the heart of a star.

So, the universe is on a fixed path.

I, however do not have this computer and so can only dimly perceive the future from guesses made from past events. I am totally uncertain what will happen next.

That something will happen next is certain (even if it's nothing). That that thing is fixed, already decided, is also certain. I am also 100% certain that I do not know what will happen next. Between these two extremes is where all events lay.

The chance between any event, no matter how unlikely happening and it not occurring is always even. Always. (50%, 2 to 1 or howver you want to call it.)

Hence the agnosticism.
  • Options
    I am an Agnostic for reasons that would take a long time to go through.
    I've bolded the bit as you seem to not only have a perception problem with what others write, but what you write as well.

Try reading the whole thing eh.
    PS your green cheese theory is bollocks as well

As I've just waded through several pages explaining why I thought something was "bollocks" i guess it's your turn.

To put it another way, how about dismantling what I wrote.
  • Options
    The chance between any event, no matter how unlikely happening and it not occurring is always even. Always. (50%, 2 to 1 or howver you want to call it.)

Rubbish. Given that you seem to have an extremely dodgy view of statistics you're not a professional economist by any chance?
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    I am totally uncertain what will happen next.

I do not know what will happen next. Between these two extremes is where all That something will happen next is certain (even if it's nothing). That that thing is fixed, already decided, is also certain.
    if you believe this 100% then your brain is firing on less cylinders than most other peoples.
    your view and understanding of our reality seems very limiting.
  • Options
    Try reading the whole thing eh.

I did read the whole thing. Could you explain to me what bit of

translates as
    just that it would take a hell of a long time to get it over.

As I've just waded through several pages explaining why I thought something was "bollocks" i guess it's your turn.

To put it another way, how about dismantling what I wrote.

God has already created imperfection when he created man (which is why he sent his son to die for our sins) why would he not create imperfection with other things as well.

Your arguments don't make sense to anyone (apart from Seeker who's as lunatic as you)- and given the way you bob and weave I suspect they don;t actually make sense to you either.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Try reading QUOTE]

i just read your sig!
    the first word just had to be therapy! :crazyeyes
  • Options
    Oh well, have the missile -

How would you know there was not a god?

Answer honestly without changing the subject please.

That question again -

• Options
    klintock wrote:
    people HAVE to make decisions from moment to moment in what to believe and accept from their perceptions of their reality.
    i am not a religous man but am interested in religion.
    i am fascinated at the unfolding story ...
    as 19th century scientific knowledge gets blown away by twenty first century knowledge ...it appears ever more likely that creation might just be the truth.
    when drwin did his thinking it was thinking that knew nothing whatsoever of genetic digital codings and the many complexities of a single human cell.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    you can't expect to know the answers until you have a certain amount of knowledge about something.
    knowledge is an unfolding and growing thing.
    a lot of peoples thinking seems to get cut short in my opinion by thinking in a manner that we already know all the right questions to ask and where to look.
    our history proves that thinking people do in fact behave in this manner.
    as recently as the 1920's scientists were declaring that the universe had now been seen and there wasn't much more matter out there ...oh how fucking wrong they were! they based this of course on what there very own eyes and knowledge were telling them.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    I am totally uncertain what will happen next.

That something will happen next is certain (even if it's nothing). That that thing is fixed, already decided, is also certain.
    if you believe this 100% then your brain is firing on less cylinders than most other peoples.
    your view and understanding of our reality seems very limiting.

Mmmm,I believe.........BUT,
    NQA wrote:
    Your arguments don't make sense to anyone (apart from Seeker who's as lunatic as you)

Could be time for :angel: The Church of the Agnostic Lunatics :angel: ."Build it and they will come"

seeker
  • Options
    klintok ...have you dropped this one?
    i'd like to hear what you think about our differing views on decay.
    i'd like to hear what you think about people thinking in the static moment ...and knowledge actualy unfolding ...therefore changing what we know and believe.
  • Options
    I'm here Roll :)

Like your post about the difference between crime and thinking about crime.
    a lot of peoples thinking seems to get cut short in my opinion by thinking in a manner that we already know all the right questions to ask and where to look.

I agree with this 100%
    as recently as the 1920's scientists were declaring that the universe had now been seen and there wasn't much more matter out there ...oh how fucking wrong they were!

Aye true enough, it's the thought that "that's all there is" that really worries me about "god" to be honest. It's an easy answer a lot of the time and I don't like short cuts to thinking.
    they based this of course on what there very own eyes and knowledge were telling them.

Which is what I do, and I am aware that I am just as likely to be wrong as I am to be right. I still think putting basic ideas through the pressure cooker is a good thing. (Yes, even that one)
    i am not a religous man but am interested in religion.

I love this phrase.
    when drwin did his thinking it was thinking that knew nothing whatsoever of genetic digital codings and the many complexities of a single human cell.

And he built up his theory and left it on a shelf for two decades while he had a "normal" life before publishing it. Now THATS intelligence. Did you now that when his paper was being read to the world for the first time he was with his wife, having buried his son the same day? He knew what priorities a man should have. Genuinely great guy.

I digress. I agree with you on almost everything Roll. :)
  • Options
    well

I just cant understand how people can "ABSOLUTELY believe in something based wholly on faith". Do you have so little "faith" in yourself that you need someone else to tell you how you should live your life?

Craig
  • Options
    I just cant understand how people can "ABSOLUTELY believe in something based wholly on faith". Do you have so little "faith" in yourself that you need someone else to tell you how you should live your life?
    Craig
    Faith in God the Almighty is what Mankind needs if this world in which we live is to be redeemed together with the souls of all of Mankind.
    Faith is outside of science, it is the true path to salvation.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    i believe in creation ...based on science thankyou.
  • Options

Craig
    i like this man! :thumb:
  • Options
    ratzinger6oz.jpg

christian = christ like.
    someone point out to me where the christ like bit is.
  • Options
    wow
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Faith in God the Almighty is what Mankind needs if this world in which we live is to be redeemed together with the souls of all of Mankind.

Obviously im not religious, but i dont really care what people believe in themselves. as long as they keep it to themselves, BUT in my expierence its people that say things like this that are so religious that they cant help preaching to everyone else, thats what pisses me off about religion more than anything else. in my opinion its people that think like you do that are CAUSING all the trouble in the world today Most of the major conflicts in history have been caused by one religion versus another. even today, terrorism in part is cause by religious fanatics ( both muslims taking the koran too seriously and the bible thumping Bush)(and im only talking about the religious FANATICS, NOT law abiding muslims, im not muslim bashing here).all over the world you have religious nuts trying to impose there version of morality/decency/family values on all the rest.... lets face it, that is ALWAYS going to cause violence and anger from other religions who dont share those same views, until religion is abolished ( and i mean here a complete seperation of church and state, im not abdicating outlawing religion, people can practice all they want in the confines of the house, and live there life the way they feel is most appropriate.)

Religions days are numbered... once the older generations start to dwindle, like they are doing now, hence the decline in numbers in most religions. each generation there will be fewer and fewer converts, but unfortunatly that wont be in my lifetime...

Craig
  • Options
    Do you have so little "faith" in yourself that you need someone else to tell you how you should live your life?

Craig

Everyone who is contemplating voting on 5th May should ask themselves that very question.

seeker