Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

new pope

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Catholics across the world are rejoicing with the appointment of their new Pope. A strong leader who will ensure that the core beliefs of the Church remain unsullied by the latest fads, fashion or cultural changes, in todays secular and sinful world, he will keep the falme of eternal Truth burning for us all.
    Truly a man of God, a man of destiny, a man to carry the Church forward against the evils and transgressions that pollute the minds and bodies of humanity.
    "To thee Peter I give the keys to the kingdom of heaven and upon this rock you shall build my Church and the gates of hell shall not prevail against thee."

Anyone interested in having a full length copy of the Latin Mass?
  • Options
    RK, i listen to Death, Black and other forms of Metal music. This music has been hailed as Satanic by some people. Is this a sin? :(
  • Options
    God,
    destiny
    sinful

Proof please.
    Anyone interested in having a full length copy of the Latin Mass?

I prefer andrex but thanks.
  • Options
    RK, i listen to Death, Black and other forms of Metal music. This music has been hailed as Satanic by some people. Is this a sin? :(
    I don't them but when is music a sin?
    A sin is a conscious act that offends God, surely music is about enjoyment and happiness - or is it used for Satanic worship?
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    I don't them but when is music a sin?

You tell me.

Not the type of God botherer to protest ouside a Marilyn Manson or Slayer concert then?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Sadly hundreds of millions of people in Africa and throughout the world do.

Sadly the heads of the Catholic Church in countless countries do.

And as a result condoms are not as freely available as they should (or they're banned altogether).

And millions of people will die a needless death through AIDS.

And entire nations will continue to starve due to overpopulation.

And women will continue to have a basic yet fundamental personal choice refused.

And homosexuals will continue to be persecuted.

I do realize that as an institution a lot of people are affected by the choice. And that Ratzinger seems as a man who want his beliefs to be heavily implemented in the church. But as a man - a personality - (almost) no one gives a fuck about him. At least that's my perception.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Dear oh dear you poor soul. I'll pray for you.

DO NOT EVEN MAKE FUN OF THAT!
    I am perfectly aware of my choices and don't need anyone praying for me, as I am happy about the way I lead my life and the way upon I view the world.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    :eek2: :nervous:

http://www.thebricktestament.com/the_law/homosexuality/lv18_22.html

http://www.thebricktestament.com/the_law/religious_tolerance/dt13_15-16.html

Have you ever read the fucking book? It's all stations to barking and about as relevant to modern life as a dinosaur.

It's all about your analysis. I have found it's message being very rewarding.
    Just as some might have it with Tolkien's Lord of the Ring, or Terry Pratchett's Discworld series.
  • Options
    O-kay.

let's have some direct quotes from the "good book" then. -
    'If your brother, or your son or daughter, or your beloved wife tries to secretly entice you, telling you to go and worship other gods, gods of people living near you, or far from you, or anywhere on earth, do not listen to him.
    'You must kill them. Show them no pity. And your hand must strike the first blow.

Deuteronomy 13:8-9

Not for me thanks. And this kind of crap riddles the whole book. It's cut off this and beat that. Ramblings of ancient madmen at best.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    O-kay.

Not for me thanks. And this kind of crap riddles the whole book. It's cut off this and beat that. Ramblings of ancient madmen at best.

I am not promoting blind faith, or litteral following. I know there are disgusting passages, but in my world it's about taking what you need and shitting on the rest.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    O-kay.

I wonder if I could get God to represent me in a Court of Law.
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote:
    I am not promoting blind faith, or litteral following. I know there are disgusting passages, but in my world it's about taking what you need and shitting on the rest.
    You don't want the set menu, the Chefs Choice, you want a la carte Christianity Wendy. Don't work that way I'm afraid.
  • Options
    You don't want the set menu, the Chefs Choice, you want a la carte Christianity Wendy. Don't work that way I'm afraid.

Which is why any sane human being rejects the whole thing as bullshit.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:

I don't want Christianity!!!
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:

It does.

Plenty of conservative Christians are happy to condemn homosexuality, whilst ignoring all of the other proscriptions in Leviticus - for example on eating shellfish, going near a woman in her 'uncleanness' etc etc

There is nothing in scripture to justify having a Pope as God's representative on earth - nor the Catholic church's position on birth control.

Many Christians take a high moral line on, say, prostitution, whilst forgetting that Jesus went out and mixed with prostitutes and other social outcasts.

The list is potentially endless.

Whatever conservative Christians may say, religion is all about human interpretation. Everyone picks and chooses the bits they want, and everyone compromises their principles to accomodate the modern world.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Sure I can.

What sort of proof would you like?

Scientific? Empirical? Methodological? Sensory?

Pick one.

Or how about advancing some proof of your own.
    Oh and very christian the whole "you are an idiot" bit. Now the christian thing to do here would be apologise, so I will let you do it now.

One more time - proof please.

See, you're one of these people who takes every Christian and tries to disprove them so - just because you don't believe it yourself.

For the last time, it can NEVER be proved. EVER. Do you understand that? In terms of arguement, it is your word against his. Just to make my point, you prove to me that God doesn't exist. g0g00g
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Which is why any sane human being rejects the whole thing as bullshit.

How very ignorant of you.
  • Options
    you prove to me that God doesn't exist.

That's what I would say I would do. Pick a type of proof from the lists and I will happily go through the process and show you there is no great big beard in the sky. Simple really.

Pick a proof. Drop the "god".
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    That's what I would say I would do. Pick a type of proof from the lists and I will happily go through the process and show you there is no great big beard in the sky. Simple really.

Pick a proof. Drop the "god".

You're exactly like Clandestine! Seriously! Same kind of faulty logic.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:

Why doesn't it work that way?

I used to say exactly the same (when I was about 12), I used to run around like a tit telling people that they can't be selective with their beliefs. Every time they just went "hmph 'spose". Guess what one bloke said to me one day? He said 'why not?' So, why not? They're our beliefs, not anyone elses. Nobody else need believe them. Insisting we all believe the same would suggest you're more bothered with how others see you than what you actually believe yourself. And how could I be a hypocrite? I follow a great deal of Christian traditions and beliefs, but if you expect me never to swear at nubs who say PROOOF PLZ THX LOLZ, or love the man who has run their keys along my car, you're living unrealistically... Maybe 10's of thousands of years ago it would have been possible.. Who knows..
  • Options
    Ibex: everyone compromises their principles to accomodate the modern world.
    No they don't. The Catholic Church doesn't, its aRock of stability in a world of floating morality where people indulge to satisfy their own selfish desires whilst sticking two fingers up to the rest of humanity. We are a God-less, selfish society that has lost sight of God. The Day of Reckoning will come however.
  • Options
    How very ignorant of you.

Forgive me.
    You're exactly like Clandestine! Seriously! Same kind of faulty logic.

Explain please.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Forgive me.

Explain please.

He goes on about books I should read in order to get an insight on the mid-east situation. Books written by experts. I could give him a booklist with Harvard and Oxford scholars too. So, what was his point?
    He says I am close-minded and that he hopes I one day get an insight, I can say the exact same thing to him.

You say you can disprove a God, yet there are oh so many theories who say that they can prove one.
    By no means have you gained anything by your logic, as everything can be countered!
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    No they don't. The Catholic Church doesn't, its aRock of stability in a world of floating morality where people indulge to satisfy their own selfish desires whilst sticking two fingers up to the rest of humanity.

Are you seriously suggesting that the Catholic church believes [i[]exactly[/i] the same as it did a millenium ago?

That's a pretty hard case to sustain. After all, they've given up on crusading; they're not that keen on the Inquisition any more because they've accepted that other Christian factions exist and cannot be stamped out; they've accepted that church and government must be separate etc etc.

The Catholic church has in fact done a rather good job of adapting to the changing political landscape over the last two millenia. Had it not, I doubt we'd be discussing the election of a new pope now.

The Catholic church is as guilty of 'a la carte Christianity' (your phrase - I borrowed it because I rather like it) as any other religious sect.
  • Options
    You say you can disprove a God, yet there are oh so many theories who say that they can prove one

Thanks for the explanation. My point is that if you pick a proof and then we work through it then we will find that there is no "god". I certainly don't think that trading one book for another will get you any closer to proof of "god".
    By no means have you gained anything by your logic, as everything can be countered!

My logic is to ask those who believe to pick a proof that they would hold as indisputable and then to use the rationale of that type of proof to dismiss "god". You pick the game, and then I will win it.

Pick a proof and let's get this over with.

I don't mind "belief" in "god" as long as it comes a light year or two behind things that can be proven to work and common bastard sense.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Thanks for the explanation. My point is that if you pick a proof and then we work through it then we will find that there is no "god". I certainly don't think that trading one book for another will get you any closer to proof of "god".

My logic is to ask those who believe to pick a proof that they would hold as indisputable and then to use the rationale of that type of proof to dismiss "god". You pick the game, and then I will win it.

Pick a proof and let's get this over with.

I don't mind "belief" in "god" as long as it comes a light year or two behind things that can be proven to work and common bastard sense.

Can you prove the big bang theory?
  • Options
    No.

Does it try to tell me how to live my life?

No.

So I really don't care about it.

Now. About that "god" character - Pick a type of proof that you would accept and let's get this over with.
  • Options
    Rich Kid, answer my question.
  • Options
    klintock, your suggestion that any sane intelligent person rejects christianity and god is not only insulting but entirely ignorant..........what are you basing this statement on? trust me, your warped perception of reality isn't good enough.......as capacity said you can no more disprove it than i can prove it..........that's why it's called having faith, you wouldn't need to have bloody faith if you could see it with your eyes.........you dont want to believe it, great i don't care.........but stop forcing your presumptions as somehow factual when it actually makes less sense than some of your wilder rantings..........
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:

That's a beauty!

Leviticus 25:44 states that I may possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. Seeing as we're being so strict about the whole affair, is that cool with you?

I would also like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. What do you think a fair price would be?

I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2. Now i know i'm within my rights to put him to death but doesn't that go against the sixth commandment?

Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle-room here?

Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?

I could go on and on but i think the points been made.