Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

new pope

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    He will be dead within a few years.

And what if he lives to 100? With the medical care he will receive it is a possibility.
  • Options
    For a start Only one sixth of the worlds population is Catholic.

Thats a pretty goddamn big number of people. Its the largest religious organisation in the world.
    Secondly the bible is outdated and is not fit to rule the modern world by.

Says you. Which Guardian article did you lift that out of? Or which post by Aladdin? YOu seriously need to do some thinking of your own, lad.
    Thirdly, i don't want to have to have the writings of the bible imposed on me and neither do millions of people.

Where the fuck does the Catholic church do that?

Frankly I admire Catholicisms stability and steadiness in these troubled times. They have not bowed to half-baked secularism or the atheism that is creeping over Europe.

Heh, thats funny, Europe is the only continent where religion is shrinking.
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    what do yo udo if one day god says dont vote conservative
    Who says I will vote Tory?
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    We will pray for your soul and hope that you will turn to God.

what god's that?

the catholic one, the jewish one, the muslim one?

i do have a god...i have my own belief system thank you and i don't want you being pretentious and forcing your belief system down my throat so don't talk about "the will of god" please...
  • Options
    Thats a pretty goddamn big number of people. Its the largest religious organisation in the world.

Says you. Which Guardian article did you lift that out of? Or which post by Aladdin? YOu seriously need to do some thinking of your own, lad.

Where the fuck does the Catholic church do that?

Frankly I admire Catholicisms stability and steadiness in these troubled times. They have not bowed to half-baked secularism or the atheism that is creeping over Europe.

Heh, thats funny, Europe is the only continent where religion is shrinking.

1. It may be the biggest but it's not the majority of people is it.

2. I can think for myself. I've studied things and I can make my own decisions. It's what I beleive.

3. Catholism and Christianity in general is always trying to shove their beliefs down peoples throats. I've not seen other religions do this on such a large scale. I'm sick of being preached at and told I'm going to Hell by Catholics and Christians trying to convert me handing out leaflets outside where I go for lectures.
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    1. It may be the biggest but it's not the majority of people is it.
    So?
    2. I can think for myself. I've studied things and I can make my own decisions. It's what I beleive.
    Yea, you know best, better than God in fact. One day .....
    3. Catholism and Christianity in general is always trying to shove their beliefs down peoples throats. I've not seen other religions do this on such a large scale. I'm sick of being preached at and told I'm going to Hell by Catholics and Christians trying to convert me handing out leaflets outside where I go for lectures.
    Christains are committed to spreading the Faith. I see nothing wrong in that, theres always the word "no" Renzo, its not a difficult or long word.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Who says I will vote Tory?

because your a bleeding tory maniac i know you have said you are not a member of the tory party or anyother party for that matter

but if you hate labour that much, and your not going to vote for the lib dems, id say your going to vote for the torys
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Christains are committed to spreading the Faith. I see nothing wrong in that, theres always the word "no" Renzo, its not a difficult or long word.

seriously...then why when you say no they say "you're gonna burn in hell, we're trying to save you"...like come on...you're only after saying hopefully i'll find faith and the will of God will find us all... :crazyeyes
  • Options
    To be honest; I don't think they want to change their image :/ I mean there will be some who do, inevitably, but the catholic church are singleminded in sticking to the gospel and will always be as traditionalist as possible....
    i didn't get to read any further than this post ...you obviously know bugger all about the gospels if you believe ythe catholic church have any connection to the bible!
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    We will pray for your soul and hope that you will turn to God.
    i just find it weird,that well educated people think like this???
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    i just find it weird,that well educated people think like this???

i am confused by your statement, are you suggesting RK is a well educated individual?.........or that well educated people must somehow lean towards atheism?..... :confused:
  • Options
    apollo_69 wrote:
    i am confused by your statement, are you suggesting RK is a well educated individual?.........or that well educated people must somehow lean towards atheism?..... :confused:
    yes!......and yes!
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    yes!......and yes!

lol, then im afraid you're wrong on both counts.........
  • Options
    apollo_69 wrote:
    lol, then im afraid you're wrong on both counts.........
    rk seems well educated to me????.....but perhaps that isnt saying much :confused: ....if religion gets you through the day,then who am i to argue?
  • Options
    The BBC wrote:
    He has described homosexuality as a "tendency" towards an "intrinsic moral evil". During the US election campaign, he called for pro-choice politicians to be denied Communion.

What a charming fellow. :yeees:
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Long or short, it does not matter, what is important is that the Will of God is carried forward to the world.

That will be a first for a Pope then.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    what god's that?

the catholic one, the jewish one, the muslim one?

i do have a god...i have my own belief system thank you and i don't want you being pretentious and forcing your belief system down my throat so don't talk about "the will of god" please...

*applauds*

:thumb:
  • Options
    BlackArab wrote:
    *applauds*

:thumb:
    second that! :thumb:
  • Options
    it pisses me off that any debate about religion descends into this.
  • Options
    it pisses me off that any debate about religion descends into this.
    it can never be any other way when such a huge religion calls itself christian and then ...by its fruits it becomes known ....
  • Options
    Hmmm, guess he'll have to prove his moral outrage straight off then by excommunicating Cardinal Law, all other US cardinals and the ranks of priests who have perpetrated paedophilic acts or covered them up for decades across the US. After all, can't lay claim to being "god's voice on earth" (*chortle*) and allow such "intrinsic moral evil" to presume leadership functions over the flock.
  • Options
    MrG: but if you hate labour that much, and your not going to vote for the lib dems, id say your going to vote for the torys
    Who says I'll vote at all? I'm not a member of any political party.
    morrocan roll:
    i didn't get to read any further than this post ...you obviously know bugger all about the gospels if you believe ythe catholic church have any connection to the bible!
    The Catholic Church is the one true Christian Church, founded on earth by Jesus, the Son of God, when he gave St Peter, (the first Pope), the mission to build His Church on earth. The core beliefs are consistent and constant, varying not at the whim of fashion or popular culture. The Church is The Rock.
    DEANO MAC: i just find it weird,that well educated people think like this???
    Why? Haven't you searched for the "meaning of life" and an answer to the eternal question, "whats it all about?"
    Many of the finest brains in the world are believers in God.
    morrocan roll:
    it can never be any other way when such a huge religion calls itself christian and then ...by its fruits it becomes known ....
    We are all sinners living in a sinful world. Fact. God sent his Son, Jesus Christ to die on the cross to redeem our souls, and show us the true path. It is up to us to follow his Word and find Salvation.
    Clandestine: Hmmm, guess he'll have to prove his moral outrage straight off then by excommunicating Cardinal Law, all other US cardinals and the ranks of priests who have perpetrated paedophilic acts or covered them up for decades across the US. After all, can't lay claim to being "god's voice on earth" (*chortle*) and allow such "intrinsic moral evil" to presume leadership functions over the flock.
    As I've said above, we are all sinners, including the Pope. We look for forgiveness for our sins through a merciful God and help in leading a good Christian life.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    We are all sinners living in a sinful world. Fact.

Here is another "sinner". Is he a "sinner" because of what he did? Because of his "church" ?

I think we need to know, FACTUALLY,what is a sin ? Over to the man with the answer(hopefully),Rich Kid.

seeker
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    As a Christian, a Catholic, I follow the teachings of my Church.
    No you don't. Judging by what you attempt to brag on about in here, you couldn't be more apart from the faith you allegedly follow if you tried.

Oh and by the way... there is no such a thing as a "sin". Fact.
  • Options
    So the Catholic Church have elected themselves an ultra-conservative former Nazi as their next pope? I couldn't care less!

For one, what the Catholic Church thinks is of no moment to me whatsoever - unless they try and preach it to me, in which case I'll tell them precisely what I think of their corrupt organisation. For two, a figure like Ratzinger is just going to alienate people - in Europe anyway - so, far from reversing the decline of Catholicism, he's probably going to hasten it.

I remember seeing on Newsnight a few weeks ago that in France - nominally a Catholic country - they've such a shortage of recruits to the priesthood tha the average ago of Catholic priests is nearly 80, that each of them is managing an average of five or six parishes, and they're actually having to import priests from former French colonies. In other words, Catholicism in France is on the verge of collapse. Can't see Ratzinger doing much to reverse that.

At 78, he's not going to have all that long in office anyway - not nearly as long as John Paul II.
  • Options
    Being a member of the Hitler Youth does not make you a former Nazi. It was compulsory and you had no choice on whether you joined or not.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    No you don't. Judging by what you attempt to brag on about in here, you couldn't be more apart from the faith you allegedly follow if you tried.
    "Judge and you shall not be judged". My Christian faith is a very close and personal thing for me and I will pray for the redemption of your soul lamp boy.
    Oh and by the way... there is no such a thing as a "sin". Fact.
    There is a God. There is a Satan. There is Sin. The eternal battle goes on but in this imperfect, sinful world, we are all sinners whose only hope of salvation is through the Lord Jesus Christ, Our Saviour, who gave His life that we may live in eternal happiness with Him.
    Ask for forgiveness for your sins, truly repent and you will be forgiven, even you lamp boy.
  • Options
    There is a God. There is a Satan.

Proof please.
    we are all sinners

Proof please or an apology. Keep your irrational "faith" to youself god-botherer.
    Ask for forgiveness for your sins, truly repent and you will be forgiven

By who and how will I know?

Proof please.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    "Judge and you shall not be judged". My Christian faith is a very close and personal thing for me and I will pray for the redemption of your soul lamp boy.
    Before you start praying for me spoilt child you'd be well advised to give your fortune to the poor.

Remember, rich people like you have a express one way ticket to hell, according to your own religion.

And there is no way around that, no matter how hard you try.

There is a God. There is a Satan. There is Sin. The eternal battle goes on but in this imperfect, sinful world, we are all sinners whose only hope of salvation is through the Lord Jesus Christ, Our Saviour, who gave His life that we may live in eternal happiness with Him.
    Ask for forgiveness for your sins, truly repent and you will be forgiven, even you lamp boy.
    There isn't a God. There isn't a Satan. There is no such thing as "sin".

End of.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    The Catholic Church is the one true Christian Church, founded on earth by Jesus, the Son of God, when he gave St Peter, (the first Pope), the mission to build His Church on earth. The core beliefs are consistent and constant, varying not at the whim of fashion or popular culture. The Church is The Rock.

what utter shite (IMO)