Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Radical Christian group to target abortion clinics

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Blagsta wrote:
    Yes he did. Did the asassin achieve something?
    So you support hostility and violent protest, harassment ect if it suits your cause?

Or are you arguing the point of peaceful protest?
  • Options
    about those council house girls who have abortions for fun probably.

Erm, I think you mean Stoke-y-bont .......

:eek2:
  • Options
    Erm, I think you mean Stoke-y-bont .......

:eek2:
    fuckian off you pedalalist!
  • Options
    your mother should be thrown in jail ...for not aborting YOU.
    your father should be locked up for damaging you to such an extent.
    the only possible excuse your parents could give to a court for turning out such a plank is they are both crack addicts.

Man thats pretty harsh...Bit much really..
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I shall make one thing clear. That "Christian Voice" website someone referred to earlier does NOT represent what I believe in. But as for this: I've lost all respect I had for Kermit after this revolting comment.

as you said that website does not refer to your beliefs

i dont think the concept of a friendly and non violent pro-lifer is against kermits wishes

kermit said that in relation to the concept that these days, we see far far far too many pro lifers that resort to violence and madness, along with pain and sufering, to get thier point accross
  • Options
    MoonRat wrote:
    So you support hostility and violent protest, harassment ect if it suits your cause?

Or are you arguing the point of peaceful protest?

I'm saying that sometimes you have to fight to defend yourself.
  • Options
    Do you know the name of Ghandi's assassin? Without looking it up.
    Do you know the name of King's assassin? Without looking it up.

Those peaceful men had more of an impact on the planet, because they WOULD NOT fight to defend themselves.
  • Options
    Ghandi's no, MLK's, yes (James Earl Ray iirc). I agree that non-violence is a good strategy, but it is only that - a strategy. Otherwise you're fucked as the students at Tiannemen Square found out.
  • Options
    I think less people would have heard and been so shocked at Tiannemen square had they run in there lobbing petrol bombs...

Some things are worth dying for.
  • Options
    Yes I agree some things are worth dying for. But disagreeing with self-defence is stupid.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    I think less people would have heard and been so shocked at Tiannemen square had they run in there lobbing petrol bombs...

What did people die for in Tianneman Square? What was achieved?
  • Options
    You could ask the same thing about that monk who set himself on fire in protest at the vietnam war. It's hard to see what is achieved if it's not big and instant. Which is a shame really, so many things are branded a failure if they don't have exponential growth.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    You could ask the same thing about that monk who set himself on fire in protest at the vietnam war. It's hard to see what is achieved if it's not big and instant. Which is a shame really, so many things are branded a failure if they don't have exponential growth.

I didn't pass judgement on it.

You appeared to be saying that by keeping it non-violent it was more effective. I was trying to establish what that effectiveness actually was.

Especially as you followed it up with this:
    Fiend85 wrote:
  • Options
    What did people die for in Tianneman Square? What was achieved?

Notoriety.
  • Options
    I didn't pass judgement on it.

You appeared to be saying that by keeping it non-violent it was more effective. I was trying to establish what that effectiveness actually was.
    I would say, that because being non-violent is so different from the status-quo of the planet at large, it would have longer lasting effects, a greater coverage, etc. Not necessarily instant results.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    I would say, that because being non-violent is so different from the status-quo of the planet at large, it would have longer lasting effects, a greater coverage, etc. Not necessarily instant results.

So, is it in your view, worth dying for "coverage", even though it doesn't lead to any substantial change in the conditions you protest against?
  • Options
    They didn't die for the coverage, they died for what they believed in. But you asked what effect it had.
  • Options
    Seeing as it happened about 16 years ago, what effect do you think it has had on China's record on human rights and democracy?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    They didn't die for the coverage, they died for what they believed in. But you asked what effect it had.

If they had gone in throwing petrol bombs, would the outcome have been any different?

Other than in terms of coverage?
  • Options
    Would they have had ANY impact at all if the other option had been taken?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:

Thats what I'm asking. What was the impact?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:

I have no idea. But non-violence didn't get very far. Maybe we should have non-violently resisted Hitler too?
  • Options
    yeah, because that equates :rolleyes:
  • Options
    You're full of good comebacks recently aren't you? You're arguing that peace has more impact than violence. I'm saying that history disagrees with you.
  • Options
    Blagsta has a point Fiend. The poll tax riots and the subsequent political aftermath were the only reason the poll tax was abolished.

Twelve years later, 2 million people marched peacefully in the biggest single protest in British history against British involvement in the war on Iraq. It made fuck all difference to war criminal Tony. I'm willing to bet that if those two million people had rioted through Central London like the poll tax demonstrators did (and created far more damage just by the sheer numbers present) the consequences and political aftermath would have been such that Blair would have not pressed ahead with British involvement.
  • Options
    Hmmm we seem to have strayed well away from the topic of the thread.

Protest is a part of this so-called democracy we live in.

There will be protests we agree with, and protests that we disagree with.

And methods of protest that we disagree with.

Pro-lifers adopting campaigns of harrassment against those involved in abortions is where we started.

Is it not the case that they should be allowed to express their strongly held beliefs. Isn't that what protest is about?

If they break the law, then hopefully the law will deal with them.

If people don't like what they do, they can protest about them.

ETA: And, rather handily wheresmyplacebo has started a version of the violence/non-violence debate here
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Blagsta has a point Fiend. The poll tax riots and the subsequent political aftermath were the only reason the poll tax was abolished.

The grassroots policy of non-payment was a major factor as well.
    Aladdin wrote:
    Twelve years later, 2 million people marched peacefully in the biggest single protest in British history against British involvement in the war on Iraq. It made fuck all difference to war criminal Tony. I'm willing to bet that if those two million people had rioted through Central London like the poll tax demonstrators did (and created far more damage just by the sheer numbers present) the consequences and political aftermath would have been such that Blair would have not pressed ahead with British involvement.

I'm not sure tbh. A better plan may have been to build resistance in the workplaces and threatened action where it hurts - at the point of wealth production.
  • Options
  • Options
    tricked by what means? are these people not only pro-life but against equality

burn them please and be done with it
  • Options
    They're cunts.

People like this lot make democracies look bad. It is very difficult to defend freedom of expression when you get repulsive scum like this.