Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Radical Christian group to target abortion clinics

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kentish wrote:
    No, but I think people having opposite opinions from my own or not wrong for having those opinions, whether I disagree with them or not.

I thought we'd settled this. Having an opinion is not wrong, but I can think that the opinion itself is wrong.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I dunno, I'm not an expert on current medical science.

well does that not make your agument flawed to a degree...and what does living independently form the mother entail exactly?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I'm saying that sometimes you have to fight to defend yourself.
    So is that a 'yes' or a no?

And what do you believe is suitible 'defense'?

Just wondering is all.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    but I can think that the opinion itself is wrong.

but is that not an opinion on it's own therefore open to it's own criticism?
  • Options
    MoonRat wrote:
    So is that a 'yes' or a no?

And what do you believe is suitible 'defense'?

Just wondering is all.

violence is an intricle part of our lives... i don't care how much we're told about peace and all that and being civilised...humans are inherintly violent to a degree...it sounds so out-dated and mystic like but there are traits within humanity well i believe so and i believe it's unhealthy to live your life supressing these traits which we all have...why do you think so many people go out every weekend and get pissed and shout...why so many people go to the gym...do boxing...others just keep it in...let the violence out i say.
  • Options
    On the topic of abortion... I do support choice yeah, even though the idea of me having to have an abortion on myself makes me feel sick, I don't honestly believe I could go through with it (hence I have safe sex with my partners).

I don't think people have the right to tell anyone what to do with their body and until evidence comes through that a foetus is sentient, I stand by my opinion.
  • Options
    test tube babies can survive in an environment artificially created, how long until doctors can transplant a foetus from the womb to a test tube environment?
  • Options
    test tube babies can survive in an environment artificially created, how long until doctors can transplant a foetus from the womb to a test tube environment?
    WON'T BE LONG BEFORE YOU CAN BUY THEM OFF SUPERMARKET SHELVES ...IN JARS. oops caps ...
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    intricle
    integral?
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    There's three really:
    a) Abortion is acceptable in any circumstance
    b) Abortion is acceptable in certain circumstances (eg rape, fetal abnormality)
    c) Abortion is never acceptable

B and C are one and the same. Different ends of the same wedge.

You are advocating abortion under certain conditions which still makes you pro-choice.

I found your point about finding abortion unacceptable under any circumstance yet accepting other people's right to choose interesting. If you were fundamentally opposed to abortion then would it be possible to fully respect someone else’s choice to terminate? Just pondering.

It is a massively individual choice, which is what makes the debate interesting and frustrating at the same time.

This i found to be an interesting read on the topic.
  • Options
    BeckyBoo wrote:
    Pass I aint a doctor.
    Eh? Zygote, embryo, fetus, baby. They're just words. At what point do the products of conception become a baby?
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    integral?

:blush: seems like luke has left a legacy after all....
  • Options
    WON'T BE LONG BEFORE YOU CAN BUY THEM OFF SUPERMARKET SHELVES ...IN JARS. oops caps ...

i bought one in the economy section of sainsburys just yesterday...
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Eh? Zygote, embryo, fetus, baby. They're just words. At what point do the products of conception become a baby?

If you believe that an the zygote, embryo, fetus, baby has the potential for life, or is a life, also raises different issues.
  • Options
    If you were fundamentally opposed to abortion then would it be possible to fully respect someone else’s choice to terminate? Just pondering.
    I want no part in it, likewise I want no part in euthanasia, because I have reservations about the reasoning behind the choices people make. However, I have no right as an individual to stop anyone from having an abortion if that is their decision. It's none of my business, frankly. So I see no paradox in being prolife and prochoice.
  • Options
    If you believe that an the zygote, embryo, fetus, baby has the potential for life, or is a life, also raises different issues.
    Of course. You can say that in certain parts of Africa where child mortality is high, that children under the age of 5 have only potential for life because so many will die in infancy. I just don't separate in utero from extra corporeal life.
  • Options
    B and C are one and the same. Different ends of the same wedge.
    It's all on a spectrum, with antiabortion at one end and proabortion at the other. Some people agree with abortion for fetal abnormalities and not for rape, whereas others will think the opposite. I think the 3 categories are valid though: they represent everyone's opinion on abortion.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Of course. You can say that in certain parts of Africa where child mortality is high, that children under the age of 5 have only potential for life because so many will die in infancy. I just don't separate in utero from extra corporeal life.

Do you believe that life starts at the moment of conception?
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    It's all on a spectrum, with antiabortion at one end and proabortion at the other. Some people agree with abortion for fetal abnormalities and not for rape, whereas others will think the opposite. I think the 3 categories are valid though: they represent everyone's opinion on abortion.

I don't think that the three categories in anyway represent everyone's opinion of abortion at all. I think it would be quite naive to assume that.
  • Options
    Do you believe that life starts at the moment of conception?
    Not sure. But pregnancy begins at implantation and once a pregnancy is underway I become prolife. Hence I have less to say about the morning after pill.
  • Options
    I don't think that the three categories in anyway represent everyone's opinion of abortion at all. I think it would be quite naive to assume that.
    OK fair enough, name another.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    OK fair enough, name another.

For instance my own stand point on abortion differs from the aforementioned 3.

I don't believe that abortion is fine in every case. Especially when used as a late form of contraception. I do believe however that the case doesn't have to be as extreme as the mother's life been threatened for an abortion to be an acceptable choice.
  • Options
    For instance my own stand point on abortion differs from the aforementioned 3.

I don't believe that abortion is fine in every case. Especially when used as a late form of contraception. I do believe however that the case doesn't have to be as extreme as the mother's life been threatened for an abortion to be an acceptable choice.
    That's category B then, surely? ("Abortion is acceptable in certain circumstances.")
  • Options
    Not for long, they dont spend the entire gestation in a test tube. its only the conception that happens in a testtube then they are implanted into a human womb.
    When people talk of independent life outside the womb, its not the same thing as a disabled person who could live independently with the right facilities and help. An embryo couldnt live independently of its mothers womb with ALL the help in the world. Once you get to the stage where it could possibly survive on its own (with help) then the situation becomes more complicated.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Not sure. But pregnancy begins at implantation and once a pregnancy is underway I become prolife. Hence I have less to say about the morning after pill.

Ok I see where you're coming from. When do you believe a pregnancy begins then?

I'm enjoying this reasoned discussion, i don't want you to think that I’m disagreeing with your views, I’m just curious.
  • Options
    pregnancy begins at conception.
    Its not a baby unless you want it to be.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    That's category B then, surely? ("Abortion is acceptable in certain circumstances.")

Fair play, i was a little thrown by the rape and fetal abnormality examples. I don't believe that the case has to be as extreme as rape. Fetal abnormality is harder. It would depend to what extent the foetus was abnomal.
  • Options

What do you mean it's not a baby unless you want it to be?
  • Options
    Ok I see where you're coming from. When do you believe a pregnancy begins then?
    The world health organization [sic] says pregnancy begins at implantation, partly I think because so many fertilised eggs fail to implant and are passed in the next period. I tend to go along with that. I think implantation takes place on around day 7 if memory serves.
  • Options
    Is pregnancy also life?
    What if the mother doesn't want it and the father does? What if the mother wants it and the father doesn't? You can't define life by whether the baby is wanted or not.