Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Radical Christian group to target abortion clinics

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What do you mean it's not a baby unless you want it to be?
    I mean a baby is just an endearing term when youre pregnant. Its not really a baby, but you call it that because to you, it is. In medical terms its a foetus till its born.
  • Options
    I mean a baby is just an endearing term when youre pregnant. Its not really a baby, but you call it that because to you, it is. In medical terms its a foetus till its born.
    But they're just words. A newborn "baby" isn't capable of independent life.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Is pregnancy also life?

What if the mother doesn't want it and the father does? What if the mother wants it and the father doesn't? You can't define life by whether the baby is wanted or not.
    * Pregnancy is part of life sure, it isnt life on its own though.
    * If the mother doesnt want it and the father does, then thats too bad. I feel sorry for the man in that position, but its the womans choice. Its unreasonable to expect a woman to gestate a baby she doesnt want because someone else wants her to.
    * If the mother wants it but the father doesnt, they need to talk about it, but ultimately its the womans womb, so she has the final word.
    * Im not defining life by whether its wanted or not. Im not even saying life is sacred. Every cell of the body is "life" and theyre dying and reproducing all the time. The complete embryo isnt a life on its own though. Its still part of the mother and shes got as much right to get rid of it as she has to get her appendix removed (which is also life)
  • Options
    its the womans choice

Funny how that isn't an issue when maintenence is claimed... :p
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    But they're just words. A newborn "baby" isn't capable of independent life.
    A newborn baby is perfectly capable of living away from its mother. What are you talking about? It still needs help but its not relying on any one person to survive. You cant MAKE someone sacrifice themselves for another person, and although it might be nice if they gave it a home in their body, they dont have to.
  • Options
    appendix
    Just ever so slightly different, don't you think?

And you just did define life by whether it was wanted or not: "Its not a baby unless you want it to be". Unless a baby isn't a life, and then I'm thoroughly confused.
  • Options
    Funny how that isn't an issue when maintenence is claimed... :p
    its not the issue here either.
  • Options
    A newborn baby is perfectly capable of living away from its mother.
    No it isn't. Well, not for very long anyway.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Just ever so slightly different, don't you think?

And you just did define life by whether it was wanted or not: "Its not a baby unless you want it to be". Unless a baby isn't a life, and then I'm thoroughly confused.
    I didnt define "life" like that, I defined the term "baby" like that.
    Until a foetus is actually born, its a foetus - not a baby. We call it a baby because its a cutesie name and it makes us feel closer to the foetus and its recognising what we will have when its born.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    No it isn't. Well, not for very long anyway.
    Well my husband survived perfectly well in foster care and then with his adopted parents.
    I think you are using the term "independent" to mean walking talking and feeding itself, whereas im talking about being capable of living (albeit with help and care) outside of its maternal womb.
  • Options
    I didnt define "life" like that, I defined the term "baby" like that.
    Until a foetus is actually born, its a foetus - not a baby. We call it a baby because its a cutesie name and it makes us feel closer to the foetus and its recognising what we will have when its born.
    They're just words. They say nothing of viability or status.
  • Options
    Well my husband survived perfectly well in foster care and then with his adopted parents.
    I think you are using the term "independent" to mean walking talking and feeding itself, whereas im talking about being capable of living (albeit with help and care) outside of its maternal womb.
    Yes, independent as in on its own. You know, not dependent.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    They're just words. They say nothing of viability or status.
    Exactly. `baby` is just a word.
    My feelings on abortion change when youre talking about a foetus that is viable outside of the womb.
    Before that stage I see it as an extension of the mother. Im not disregarding how pregnant mothers feel about their "babies" FAR before viability, but after viability is when I start to see it as a real baby.
    It is a complex issue.
  • Options
    It is a complex issue.
    Indeed.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Yes, independent as in on its own. You know, not dependent.
    so do I need to find another word to describe what I mean, or are you OK with what I mean by it now?
  • Options
    Kentish, off topic slightly, but just out of interest (and assuming you'll be a GP :p ) would you refuse to sign HSA1 forms?
  • Options
    so do I need to find another word to describe what I mean, or are you OK with what I mean by it now?
    I'm just picking holes in the argument. I think I know what you mean.
  • Options
    go_away wrote:
    Kentish, off topic slightly, but just out of interest (and assuming you'll be a GP :p ) would you refuse to sign HSA1 forms?
    I haven't decided. And Obs & Gynae is my current choice of career. I wouldn't sign for a termination if I hadn't seen or spoken to the woman (which some GPs do).
  • Options
    Id hate that, If I was going for a termination to think that the GP was judging me and that he/she could possibly override a decision I had made about my own body.
    How to disempower women in one easy step.
  • Options
    I'm thinking of doing community gynae, but yeah, we have a *lot* of GPs who never stated that they saw and/or examined the pregnant woman :rolleyes: and most of the time, it's the surgeons themselves that provide the second sig.
  • Options
    Id hate that, If I was going for a termination to think that the GP was judging me and that he/she could possibly override a decision I had made about my own body.

Our clinic is linked with a magazine (I think it's Cosmo) for an update in the law. One of the many proposed changes is that doctors who object to abortion must make it known. I wouldn't feel comfortable seeing a pro-life doctor under any circumstances.
  • Options
    Abortions still have to be legal though. The HSA1 form is probably a legal document.
  • Options
    go_away wrote:
    Our clinic is linked with a magazine (I think it's Cosmo) for an update in the law. One of the many proposed changes is that doctors who object to abortion must make it known. I wouldn't feel comfortable seeing a pro-life doctor under any circumstances.
    Even doctors who claim conscientious exemption are bound to refer the woman swiftly to a colleague who would perform or arrange a TOP.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    The HSA1 form is probably a legal document.

Tis. HSA1 is the blue/white form needing 2 doctors sigs, and requires one of the letters A - E to be circled indicating the reasons for the abortion.

HSA2 is the yellow booklet which is for the Department of Health

and guess who gets to do all the lovely admin for both? ;)
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Abortions still have to be legal though. The HSA1 form is probably a legal document.
    What would make you refuse consent though?
    When I went for my termination and had to be examined one of the male doctors made me feel like a piece of shit . I mentioned Id rather be seen by a female doctor and he said whats the point, it looks like youve already been seen by a man anyway.

Doctors should be impartial, and if theyre not, then theyre not the best person for that particular job.
  • Options
    What would make you refuse consent though?
    It's not about refusing consent - no one is denied an abortion - it's about sensitively counselling a woman to ensure she has made a reasoned decision and is best equipped to deal with the inevitable emotions.
    Doctors should be impartial, and if theyre not, then theyre not the best person for that particular job.
    Of course. I would never persuade nor dissuade anyone from having a termination. I would want to talk to them about it if I was to sign the HSA1 though - that doesn't mean passing judgement; it's just good patient care.
  • Options
    I mentioned Id rather be seen by a female doctor and he said whats the point, it looks like youve already been seen by a man anyway..

You should have put in a complaint about him. He sounds like a tosser.
  • Options
    go_away wrote:
    and guess who gets to do all the lovely admin for both? ;)
    :thumb: People like you make the world go round.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    You should have put in a complaint about him. He sounds like a tosser.

I'd second that, I know it was long ago, but what an insensitive thing to say, and an awful attitude to have.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    :thumb: People like you make the world go round.

hehe, makes me feel good when a doctor comes up to me, asking me to check their work over :D

the downside is dropping bottles of peepee samples :nervous: