Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Radical Christian group to target abortion clinics

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Can I just point out being pro-life isn't wrong. It's the way 'christian' voice is going about it.
  • Options
    just dont think picketing vulnerable women and teenagers is going to help anyone.
    everyone is entitled to an oppinion, its when people persistantly try and force their views onto others and try to make you think like them that it gets on my tits.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Can I just point out being pro-life isn't wrong. .
    Well it isnt right to take a womans right over her own body and fertility away, so that makes it wrong in my book.
  • Options
    Where did I say that?
  • Options
    are you pro-life or not?
    To be pro life means that you think women shouldnt be allowed to have abortions - right?
  • Options
    No, to be pro-life you would NEVER have an abortion, and think they should NEVER be carried out, at no point ever have I said that I'd ban them. I'm not stupid, though many would like to label me that because I take my faith seriously, I'm aware that if abortions were banned women would simply take matters into their own hands. Back-alley abortions are dangerous, life-threatening even. I would love it, if no-one had an abortion ever again, but it's not likely for as long as people are fallible.
  • Options
    To be pro life means that you think women shouldnt be allowed to have abortions - right?
    This is a total distortion of the pro-life view.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    This is a total distortion of the pro-life view.

Is there an universal pro-life view, or do different people understand it differently?

What do you say it is?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Can I just point out being pro-life isn't wrong.

Yes it is. It's anti-choice.
  • Options
    No it's not. It's pro-life.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    No it's not. It's pro-life.

"pro-life"? What does that mean? That people who are in favour of choice are anti-life?
  • Options
    blagsta wrote:
    "pro-life"? What does that mean? That people who are in favour of choice are anti-life?
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    No, to be pro-life you would NEVER have an abortion, and think they should NEVER be carried out, at no point ever have I said that I'd ban them. I'm not stupid, though many would like to label me that because I take my faith seriously, I'm aware that if abortions were banned women would simply take matters into their own hands. Back-alley abortions are dangerous, life-threatening even. I would love it, if no-one had an abortion ever again, but it's not likely for as long as people are fallible.

:rolleyes: READ! For a change give someone the basic respect of actually reading their posts. I'm fully fed-up, you're not worth it, how can you say that pro-life is automatically anti-any choice, just because that's the noisiest section, and then rip me up suggesting that people fighting for the 'right' to choose are anti-life. It's bullshit, and so are 90% of your posts.
  • Options
    I have read your post, I just think its illogical crap, like most of your opinions.
  • Options
    Being "pro-life" is not wrong for as long as you limit those beliefs to yourself.

But the second you attempt to impose those belief upon others (which is practically what 100% of pro-life organisations do, always looking at ways to limit or even better stop others from having abortions) then it becomes wrong. Very, very wrong.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

If you are pro-life, you can prefer that in an IDEAL situation, an abortion wouldn't occur. it does not mean that you are anti-choice, but that'd you'd encourage and prefer the mother not to take the abortion route.

Blagsta, in your quote there, you have just completely destroyed your "pro-lifers are anti choice" comments. If you can say that, then we can say that pro-choice are anti-life. After all, if there are prolifers/antichoicers, there should surely be an opposite?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Being "pro-life" is not wrong for as long as you limit those beliefs to yourself.

But the second you attempt to impose those belief upon others (which is practically what 100% of pro-life organisations do, always looking at ways to limit or even better stop others from having abortions) then it becomes wrong. Very, very wrong.
    Anybody who imposes their beliefs on others is outrageous.
  • Options
    If you are pro-life, you can prefer that in an IDEAL situation, an abortion wouldn't occur. it does not mean that you are anti-choice, but that'd you'd encourage and prefer the mother not to take the abortion route.

That is not what pro-life means to most people. Pro-life = anti-choice to most people.
    Blagsta, in your quote there, you have just completely destroyed your "pro-lifers are anti choice" comments. If you can say that, then we can say that pro-choice are anti-life. After all, if there are prolifers/antichoicers, there should surely be an opposite?

Assuming that it is a binary opposition, yes. It isn't though is it? Pro-choice does not mean pro-abortion does it?
  • Options
    How do you know what most people think? are you being swayed by the outrageous actions of this extremist group? That's like saying that just because there's al-quaeda that all muslims are anti-westerners. Fiend is one example of people who are pro-life AND prochoice. it is possible.

again, you've just destroyed your arguement there: that people do not have to be pro-abortion to be pro-choice. hence why you can also see that people who are pro-life can also be pro-choice.
  • Options
    How do you know what most people think? are you being swayed by the outrageous actions of this extremist group?

No. All groups who campaign on pro-life issues state that they would see abortion banned.
    That's like saying that just because there's al-quaeda that all muslims are anti-westerners. Fiend is one example of people who are pro-life AND prochoice. it is possible.

No, its nothing like it at all.
    again, you've just destroyed your arguement there: that people do not have to be pro-abortion to be pro-choice. hence why you can also see that people who are pro-life can also be pro-choice.

OK, maybe you are using a different defintion of pro-life than everyone else.
  • Options
  • Options
    How do you know what most people think? are you being swayed by the outrageous actions of this extremist group? That's like saying that just because there's al-quaeda that all muslims are anti-westerners. Fiend is one example of people who are pro-life AND prochoice. it is possible.

Ahem

ETA: Same reference as Blagsta
  • Options
    Essentially you are either one way or the other on the issue.

You believe to a greater or lesser extent that abortion is acceptable or you believe that in no circumstances is it acceptable.

If at any point you believe abortion to be an acceptable outcome then you are pro-choice. If not you are pro-life.

Although myself I think the term pro-life is wrong. A mother who is going to die if she sees the pregnancy through to labour does not have a life choice. She has to make a choice involving “death”.

The issue is fundamentally complex but you can separate in into two groups
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Just to say I totally agree with this, except if there's any danger to the almost-mother.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Yes it is. It's anti-choice.
    Having an opinion isn't "wrong".

I'll assume that's not what you meant
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Having an opinion isn't "wrong".

I'll assume that's not what you meant

So having the opinion (for example) that Hitler was right, isn't wrong?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

as long as you have the evidence to back it up...i mean if hitler died in 1938 he'd probably be a German national hero.
  • Options
    The issue is fundamentally complex but you can separate in into two groups
    There's three really:
    a) Abortion is acceptable in any circumstance
    b) Abortion is acceptable in certain circumstances (eg rape, fetal abnormality)
    c) Abortion is never acceptable

You can be a (c) for yourself and still be prochoice and for that reason prolife doesn't automatically mean antichoice.

I do see the problems with (b) but a child conceived through rape may be treated differently by the partner of the rapee, so that is the argument I suppose. Not to mention the fact that the child will be a continuous reminder for the woman of that rape.

So I think all three are valid opinions. I think we'd all disagree with Christian Voice's chosen method in attempting to reduce the abortion rate though.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Having an opinion on something isn't wrong. IMHO. You can't stop people having opinions.
  • Options
    No having an opinion isn't wrong. I can however believe that the opinion itself is wrong.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    No having an opinion isn't wrong. I can however believe that the opinion itself is wrong.
    Of course. But is having the opinion that 'abortion is not acceptable' wrong?