Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Radical Christian group to target abortion clinics

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Story here

As a clinic worker myself, I'm well aware of some of the dirty tactics employed by protesters, but these people seem to be quite rabid. America gets more crazy fantatics over there, to the point where cars get scratched, employees pictures are taken and put on the web etc.

Do you believe that parliament can do anything? Thoughts in general?

Comments

• Options
    They can name where he lives; The Times almost did.

Who fancies a trip to Carmarthen?
  • Options
    lukesh, maybe you should spend a day shadowing me - NO ONE comes into our clinic thinking 'yay abortion!' While the law needs to be updating, trying to reduce the number of abortions through legislative means isn't going to work.

it doesn't give people the moral high ground to harrass them as they're coming into the clinics, we have had women in tears
  • Options
    lukesh wrote:
    The number of abortions is high though, at my school girls were having abortions for the fun of it. Something needs to be done.

Fuck off and die luke.
  • Options
    If half have babies then they are not having abortions are they?
  • Options
    So what if people don't regret their abortions? Are they meant to be sobbing, on all fours, beating their chests with their fists saying how much of a trauma it was? You're only adding to the stigma lukesh, everyone's story is different.
  • Options
    fuck off luke you utter shit head
  • Options
    Why on earth it is a question of being 'allowed'.

The whole point is that women have the right to choose.

I seem to remember when it comes to discussions concerning Muslims and their 'liberation' you wre very keen on women's rights........
  • Options
    This message is hidden because lukesh is on your ignore list.
  • Options
    because they have a legal and moral right to abortion. At the end of the day, take a woman who is going to be sexually active from her late teens to date. A significant proportion of that time, she will be of a childbearing age, and nothing is 100% - there will always be a small risk that she will concieve at a time that's not right for her. 1 in 3 women in this country has had an abortion.

Whatever the reasons are, despite how many abortions they've had etc, you can't 'punish' someone by forcing them to continue with a pregnancy that they don't want to continue with.
  • Options
    This message is hidden because lukesh is on your ignore list.
  • Options
    You may have noticeed that the wearing of the condom is something done by the male of the species.....

The fact the the father is so often not prepared to take any part in the childs life or is so hostile to the idea of a child is I beleive a major reaon for abortions.......
  • Options
    What does it matter on how the conception occured? So only women who've had to endure the trauma of rape or on death's door are good enough in your book? Real nice that.

Yeess, and people do wear condoms, and take pills, and have IUDs fitted. Contraception fails. We had a woman in who became pregnant *twice* after she had been sterilised, and the doctor who sterilised her refused to do it again. We also had a girl in whose pill failed, condom split, and emergency contraception didn't work. In your book, they don't fit your criteria.

Using a blanket statement like that just demonises women further, I fail to see how exactly you're an advocate for women's rights. It just seems to be anti-choice rhetoric at the moment.
  • Options
  • Options
    The way I see it, women run the risk of getting pregnant every time they have sex, this doesn't mean that if they do get pregnant they should have to have a baby - sex isn't just about procreation. It is true that some women do appear to use abortion as another form of contraception, but going through an abortion is not a pleasant experience for anyone.

To be honest I'd rather a woman have a few abortions than bring unwanted children into the world who are going to have crap lives because the mother never wanted to have them in the first place and can't support them properly.

I think the behaviour of such Christian groups is appaling, what about all the references in the bible to tolerance and forgiveness and Christian love? I can understand if they personally are against abortion but terrorising staff and pregnant women and making them targets for threats and abuse is hardly a constructive way to deal with the problem. How about campaigning for better sex education in schools so that girls are more inclined to use contraception every single time they have sex, and to make contraception more widely available or even make women aware of the choices open to them if they are pregnant and do not want to keep the child?
  • Options
    You can't look at the majority cases. Like I said everyone has a different story, you just can't lump them under one category.

Do you really think an enforced a law whereby you could only have an abortion if you used contraception would work? How exactly could you prove something like that?

And I can't see any instance where I was calling you names.

I just don't happen to believe that the right to foetal life is greater than the right to bodily integrity.
  • Options
    How about campaigning for better sex education in schools so that girls are more inclined to use contraception every single time they have sex, and to make contraception more widely available or even make women aware of the choices open to them if they are pregnant and do not want to keep the child?

That's exactly it - more often than not, they'll be anti-contraception too, which just goes to prove that it's not about 'saving babies' at all, it's about thrusting their own agenda onto other people.
  • Options
    lukesh wrote:
    very true... this is where the state needs to make the guys pay for the childs upbringing instead of leaving it to the girl. There may be laws in place already but they are not working, around here anyway!

What if the father can't afford to pay. The woman then has the choice

a) Have an abortion

b) have the baby and bring it up on benefits etc, probably struggle for money etc

Aren't both these things bad in your eyes, women who have abortions and 'scroungers'

What choice then?
  • Options
    To be honest I'd rather a woman have a few abortions than bring unwanted children into the world who are going to have crap lives because the mother never wanted to have them in the first place and can't support them properly.

well put.
  • Options
    lukesh wrote:
    Of course you couldn't, who thought of that daft idea?

erm...
    Abortion just because you forgot to wear a condom... shouldn't be allowed.
    I was given life, so should everyone else

So was I ;) . Just because my mother chose life for me, she's still pro-choice. And I doubt that having a child will change my opinion on the matter either.

At the end of the day, it comes down to two things: who gets more rights? The woman or the foetus/embryo/flying French man - whatever the circumstances, I will always always side with the woman.
  • Options
    lukesh wrote:
    education? how much more do we need? I had sex education very often and it was put in my head to use a condom before sex. Everyone knows that. However some people don't take any notice and think it won't happen to them.

point here is condoms split sometimes. its happened to me and the MAP didnt work, its not a case of thinking it wouldnt happen to me. or to the other girl he got pregnant who was told she was infertile -condoms aren't that reliable.some people dont bother with contraception and in such instances it is there own fault, but you can't say everyone who has an abortion is wrong. it is difficult and being harassed on your way in will only make the event more traumatic than it already is...you are so vulnerable at the time.
  • Options
    It's the WOMAN'S RIGHT not yours whether to have an abortion and in the end you have to respect that decision.

It can be argued that when a woman is pregant before a certain stage it is not a baby but a collection of cells which have the potential to become a child, it is not consicous or self aware so it only exists in potential

Lukesh you do not have the moral high ground on this arguement and that you are only proving what an intolerable little man you are!!!
  • Options
    I’m against abortion, I have less of a problem with abortions carried out early on though. I don’t think abortion is murder, no woman has an abortion with the intent to kill and destroy.

Those on the pro-choice side often try to dehumanise the baby to a bunch of cells. I don't like that.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3846525.stm

I absolutely oppose the actions of this Christian group however. Just because they are pro-life they do not have to be anti-choice. I am against abortion but I don’t think I have any right to impose that belief on others by calling for abortion to be outlawed. We don't want to go back to the days of backstreet abortion clinics. But, I think there might be a case for reducing the limit.
  • Options
    I am staunchly pro-choice. An abortion is never an easy choice. It is a mecical proceedure that, like all medical proceedures, carries risks.

Lukesh, you are uneducation and your arguments are seriously flawed. You are basing your opinions on what you think you know rather than what is true. Pathetic.
  • Options
    Come on Blagsta mate dont wish death on people no matter how vulgar you find thier opinions.

Just relax before you type :)
  • Options
    Tommo100 wrote:
    Come on Blagsta mate dont wish death on people no matter how vulgar you find thier opinions.

Just relax before you type :)

Bollocks. Lukesh's opinions are totally off beam and offensive. Women have abortions for fun? What the fuck? The guy is a total fucking idiot.
  • Options
    It aint bollocks at all.

You cant start saying what other people is writing is offensive when you yourself are telling people to "fuck off and die"

Im sure this is agaisnt board rules as well.
    '
    Ive always found its better to take someone to task over there opinions and try to show them up rather than blatently abuse them, you come off far better yourself as well. Just my opinion Mr ;)
  • Options
    With luke really f***ing up this thread - I think he should at least receive a warning from the mods for being offensive and upsetting. But anyway - back to the subject.

I think it's sick that groups of people like this are trying to force their beleifs on others in a hostile, aggresive way. The article described them as a 'militant' group, which to me indicates they are not averse to violence. I think it's a blessing in our society that women are more liberated because they have the choice, it's part of one of the fundamental cornerstones of our society that makes it the envy of the world - freedom.

I really think anyone coming along trying to steal our freedoms because of their own beleifs should be thrown in prison or exhiled, or have some sentence placed on them, it is often a worse crime to take someones freedom than to take their life.
  • Options
    blagsta, don't tell people to die no matter what appalling comments they are making

Lukesh, if you are saying people are having sex without caring about what might happen, ignoring contraception and then using abortion as a last resort then do you think you could bother to actually say that?

Or are you actually saying people go out, have casual sex, get pregnant just so that they can invite their friends round for a laugh at the abortion clinic? Do they sell fucking popcorn down there?

One of the fundamental principals of debating here, which is something both of you need to consider, is to actually try and make what you are saying clear rather than running off at the mouth and spoiling any chance of a debate for everyone else.
  • Options
    ^ What he said.

Just to add, though, that I would like to lead a picket of Christian Voice. Who's coming?
  • Options
    lukesh wrote:
    Just Go Fuckian Die The Lot Of You

Well done.

Did you actually read what Jim V wrote?