Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Mrs Moroccan Roll...?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kentish wrote:
    :yes:

bit naive there don't you think
  • Options
    The fact that it is illegal and people who are using it as an effective analgesic with minimal side effects are effectively criminalised, I think is a huge shame.
    That would be the health benefits argument then. Medicinal use is being actively investigated.

I can't see doctors encouraging smoking these days.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Indeed, legalising cannabis would promote its use.

Well where's the evidence for this?

Holland (technically not legal but tolerated and openly sold) has a relatively lower rate of use than the UK & USA, so that fucks your logic right up.

You obviously have no idea what you're prattling on about. Thousands upon thousands of people in the UK are smoking polluted hash, cut with all sorts of shit, because of prohibition.

So prohibition not only has produced a high rate of use, but also results in huge numbers of people polluting their lungs with filth. Great for public health eh?

There is no anti-legalisation health argument, because prohibition is causing more health problem than legalisation could, even if it increased use greatly (which is purely theoretical).

Anyone who supports the prohibition of cannabis doesn't know the facts, is stupid, or blinded by their own arrogance.
  • Options
    apollo_69 wrote:
    kentish i just want to ask you one question - do you think the current law against cannabis exists because the drug is dangerous to your health or to corporate profits.........
    Dunno.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    A waste of taxpayers' money either way.
    exactly!
    so why the hell should she be threatened with jail ...why the hell should the police have arrested and charged her ...why haven't the CPS thrown it out?
    aressting people for possesion and use of cannabis is a waste of everyones time and money ...

welcome aboard mate.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    That would be the health benefits argument then. Medicinal use is being actively investigated.

I can't see doctors encouraging smoking these days.
    I was under the impression that there are several other ways to take it, and smoking being one of the least effective?
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    Well where's the evidence for this?
    Are you suggesting that legal activities are more taboo than illegal ones?
  • Options
    yeah spliffie has an excellent point there about the crappy hash we get over here.......so heavily polluted the damage is unmeasurable i'd say, and it only exists because there is no alternative for some who just want to get high........if you ever smoked some crappy solid i think you'd be in full agreement with the rest of us.......same as the reason for heroin clinics, no dirty needles, infections, etc etc.........you seem fairly clued up kentish why can't you see this?........
  • Options
    exactly!
    so why the hell should she be threatened with jail ...why the hell should the police have arrested and charged her ...why haven't the CPS thrown it out?
    aressting people for possesion and use of cannabis is a waste of everyones time and money ...

welcome aboard mate.
    I'm not disagreeing. Policing is always about prosecuting those crimes which have a detrimental effect on society. So she should be left alone, but that doesn't mean giving tacit approval of cannabis use.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Dunno.

okay then, why do you think it's illegal to grow hemp without a license now? you can't get high off it so you wouldn't want to smoke it, so where is the danger? 150 years ago it used to be law, you had to grow the shit if you had enough land..........what has changed? it's pretty bleedin obvious.........
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:

That is no reason to legalise cannabis though.

Well, here are some -

- It's a personal right which harms no-one else.

- People swear by it medicinally.

-Prohibition causes health problems...people smoking "soapbar" (known as Chernobyl in France...no explanation why is needed) which is cut with all sorts, glues, tranquilisers, henna & shit to name but a few.

-Legalisation takes the profits from criminals. Perhaps the gov't should invest the tax into the NHS to counter the effects of smoking? Now isn't that more logical than letting criminal suppliers poison the population and get rich while they're at it?

-The Dutch model shows no significant increase in usage when laws are relaxed. The USA has more cannabis smokers than Holland.

So...why is it you want it still kept illegal? Because, in all honesty, I don't think you can have any proper reason!
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Nope. That those for whom cannabis use is affecting them adversely will find life as difficult as problem drinkers currently do.

It doesn't have to happen to the majority of users for it to be an important problem. And this has nothing to do with intelligence.
    so a handful of unfortunates may go crazy means the millions upon millions of people who use it without problem should be treated as criminals?
    by the way ...all the evidence shows that the countries who tolerate it have a declining user population whilst those with the harshest aproach have an ever increasing number of users.
  • Options
    apollo_69 wrote:
    you seem fairly clued up kentish why can't you see this?........
    I'd rather seek out and deal with the root causes of problematic drug use than supply a quality drug which will harm people.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Are you suggesting that legal activities are more taboo than illegal ones?

Why not respond to my points rather than ask silly questions?

Oh wait -- you can't.

:thumb:
  • Options
    Butting into the conversation...

And no, I am not a cannabis user.

It is absolutely grotesque that it can't be legalised even for medical use. For gods sake...
    Summing up the effects of the medicine I am taking if mis- or overused....

Death, stretchmarks, balding, liverfailure (when combined with alcohol) etc.
    So, when cannabis is babyproofed compared, then how come it can't be legalised? It's absurd really.

And demeans the people who are in actual need. I doubt the people behind the legislation have ever known a suffering sclerosis patient (or someone of a similar disease which could benefit of Cannabis).

Disgusting really.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    I'd rather seek out and deal with the root causes of problematic drug use than supply a quality drug which will harm people.

but quality drugs harm only five to ten perecent of users!
  • Options
    I think it should have the same restrictions applied as for tobacco but not actually promoted. For those with certain medical conditions it should be available on the NHS.
  • Options

balding, .
    i must have smoked some of that!
  • Options
    aye, the root cause of this problematic drug use (plastic in your hash).......is cos it's illegal!!.......and ill ask again, why in your opinion is normal bog standard hemp illegal?......
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:

LOL!

You can't be real?!

Cannabis is not a drug which you'd class as a "problematic" - it can't be used for serious escapism.

You know nothing about the drug, nothing about the nature of the drug, and nothing about the people who smoke the drug.

You've not been there, you've not experienced the experience - you have no idea. And to be honest, you're making a fool of yourself.
  • Options
    apollo_69 wrote:
    .......and ill ask again, why in your opinion is normal bog standard hemp illegal?......
    because ...farmers could plant thousands ...millions of acres ...damaging the oil industry by supplying hemp rope and canvass as opposed to nylon.
    along with vegatable oils and the highet quality seed oil on the planet. seed oil that can be used for health for food and even for lubrication.
    and guess what ...it is not labour intensive and needs no pesticides or fertelizer.
    all round it is a remarkable planet freindly plant ...but to many big guys loose money.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    ...personal right... medicinal
    Two separate arguments.
    Prohibition causes health problems...people smoking "soapbar"
    Let me rearrange that for accuracy's sake.
    People smoking "soapbar" causes health problems.
    You can either claim personal choice, or deny it and blame this on prohibition.

If people smoke soapbar because they believe it to be a harmless painkiller then I may reconsider my position. If there are other reasons for soapbar use, then I stand by my argument.
    gov't should invest the tax into the NHS to counter the effects of smoking?...logical
    Not it's not logical to tax something, claim the government will make money out of legalising drugs, and then express a desire to spend the tax money on treating the effects of the very same drugs.
  • Options
    so a handful of unfortunates may go crazy means the millions upon millions of people who use it without problem should be treated as criminals?
    by the way ...all the evidence shows that the countries who tolerate it have a declining user population whilst those with the harshest aproach have an ever increasing number of users.
    Some people can die from taking asprin, others from eating nuts.

Should we ban nuts and asprin?
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    Why not respond to my points rather than ask silly questions?

Oh wait -- you can't.

• Options
    because ...farmers could plant thousands ...millions of acres ...damaging the oil industry by supplying hemp rope and canvass as opposed to nylon.
    along with vegatable oils and the highet quality seed oil on the planet. seed oil that can be used for health for food and even for lubrication.
    and guess what ...it is not labour intensive and needs no pesticides or fertelizer.
    all round it is a remarkable planet freindly plant ...but to many big guys loose money.

are you listening kentish?......................................there is no health risk attached to standard hemp, just a risk to corporate profit..........of course they couldn't ban hemp, so they had to try and demonise cannabis..........have you never seen those docs from the 40's about reefer madness? the fact is you need to do your research and then come back....
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    LOL!

You can't be real?!

Cannabis is not a drug which you'd class as a "problematic" - it can't be used for serious escapism.

You know nothing about the drug, nothing about the nature of the drug, and nothing about the people who smoke the drug.

You've not been there, you've not experienced the experience - you have no idea. And to be honest, you're making a fool of yourself.
  • Options
    apollo_69 wrote:
    the fact is you need to do your research and then come back....
    I have no interest in the politics. I only have an interest in the health of the nation. And the sociology too.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    I have no interest in the polictics

and that is why you just don't get it...........cannabis was never banned for medical reasons, and therein lies the injustice.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    , and then express a desire to spend the tax money on treating the effects of the very same drugs.
    i don't understand this bit ...what money gets spent on treating cannabis smokers?
    gambling is legal and taxed ...gambling addiction is causing many social problems.
    nicotine is legal ...if you banned it the biggest source of cash would dissapear from the nhs.
    cannabis addiction is almost none existant.
    drug problems ...socialy and health wise would diminish massively if legalised and controlled but ...no one realy gives a toss ...the people of the uk are happily spending upto ten billion quid a year on illegals and will continue to do so ...the health service hasn't and won't collapse through drug use.
  • Options
    a field of hemp once planted ...can be left to its own devices ...no labour ...no chemicals ...in return from what i stated before ...it is also the best plant for bio diesel.
    it is also the best plant on the planet for reclaiming land ...reinvigorating land ...textiles oils fuels etc ...extremely cheap and extremely eco friendly.
    but it would destroy totaly the nylon market.
    lorry sheets tents jeans ropes sails etc etc ...all eco friendly and super cheap ...
    it has been stated that hemp is the plant that can save the the world ...but it is still illegal.
    all to do with dosh.
    as the oli runs out ...it will make a comeback.